Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Vagabundo posted:

The Warriors are not a car that'll break down 100m down the road. They'll manage it well before that.

We're solidly hosed until we can get Adam Blair and Blake Green off our books.

iajanus- great work as always with the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

Good thing nobody cares about the Panthers or the Nines.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

bowmore posted:

Iím just happy there wasnít many injuries

That's all I want out of this stupid tournament. Nobody gives a gently caress about who wins the nines. I just don't want any of my guys to miss real game time because of this.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

What's really loving frustrating is that he probably genuinely believes that he's the victim in all of this. He can go gently caress himself and Catalan can join him.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

2) This is more a qualitative question, but is Israel Folau really good enough to justify all the other poo poo. I mean he must have been good a while back, but is he currently a good enough footballer to justify hiring him? Does he do enough on the field to offset all the "controversy" that surrounds him. And also not forgetting that he is an unrepentant homophobic fundie arsehole. (And still on this, was he famous/loved/important enough to be a draw back when the AFL and GWS wasted their money on him?)

He's spectacularly talented, but possibly even dumber. What you need to remember is that he was spouting his homophobic bullshit when Qantas (Rugby Australia's major sponsor) has a CEO who is openly gay. Not only were Qantas a big part of his salary, Rugby Australia is in a woeful financial position and can't affort to alienate one of the few organisations willing to give them money.

Now that Gallen is retired, Lodge might be the only player left I am hoping suffers a career ending injury.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

And who knows about Lodge. I'm guessing that it's because he didn't break any laws in Australia and theoretically paid his dues. I think it came out eventually that he paid the couple.

He only paid them after the outrage when it was found he had made no effort to do so. The NRL should have made it a condition of registering his contract that damages in the civil suit had to be paid out first.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Chanel Harris-Tavita played well, hope he gets the 6 over Nikorima who I'd much prefer as a 14.

My preference would be to send Blake Green to the glue factory now and get Harris-Tavita and Nikorima playing together.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Yeah I guess so, the year is a writeoff and Green is done.

Don't forget Blair's albatross of a contract.

Of course the new regime continue to show they have no loving idea what they're doing. After Afoa did his ACL, they did the logical thing and let Lisone go to the Titans. Who needs front row depth anyway?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

apparently bad blood with Kearney

When was the last time this happened? Oh right, the whole Shaun Johnson fiasco which resulted in our 2019 season being torpedoed because Kearney got butthurt.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Warriors look terrible, good to see Kearney's new offense is the same dogshit as last year. How many 5th tackle turnovers with seemingly nobody having any idea what to do?

Kearney's obsession with completion rate combined with Green being completely passed it is going to make this year even more painful than usual.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

That's really loving rough.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Should we set up a side betting comp around when people will start forgetting to put their tips in?

There's a good chance I forget to register before the season kicks off, does that count?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

bowmore posted:

Join the goon tipping comp

https://tipping.nrl.com/

Pin: PTRPZYAD

Prizes: Custom Title + $50 to a charity of your choice

Oh hey I joined.

Also well done to the Dogs on one of the dumbest offseason scandals in a while. Hooking up with schoolgirls? Nice look for the family club.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

OK, it's fuckin' borderline at least.

Technically not illegal, but a loving terrible look. According to SMH they lost a potential major sponsor over this.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

MiniSune posted:

Pm says no gatherings larger than 500 from now.
Nrl says: now is next week .

This has no potential to blow up at all.

Meanwhile over here our first game in Auckland in week two is a double header with Super Rugby- two games back to back at the same ground, single ticket entry. How exactly it's going to work is still unknown- the NRL is saying games are to be played in empty stadiums whereas Super Rugby is largely carrying on as usual.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

I guess that's under NZ law and so can have it's own rules

We're also subject to calls made by the NRL, but it sounds like Greenberg hasn't been in direct contact with the Warriors, so we'll need to wait a day or two to figure out what's going on over here. Hell, we might not want those dirty Australian clubs bringing that grubby virus to our shores.

Smorgasbord posted:

Bronson Xerri has been tested for COVID-19, if he's positive then we have serious problems with the season.

That's going to really gently caress things up. At that point the entire Sharks squad needs to be tested and possibly stood down if Xerri was training with them whilst contagious.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

MiniSune posted:

Super Rugby is played in empty stadiums in Oz.

loving Tahs. loving ARU.

That's on me for missing the obvious joke. The Blues in Auckland aren't far from it either.

Meanwhile Xerri has been cleared. Maybe they should see if peptides give you immunity.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

gently caress off Blair.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

All arrivals to NZ must self isolate for 14 days. RIP the NRL season unless they either exclude the Warriors or have the Warriors stay in Australia all season.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...ovid19-outbreak

Yeah, this is going to be a weird season.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Jono C posted:

gently caress off Blair.

No seriously, gently caress off, youíre a waste of space.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

bowmore posted:

Whatís with the lack of discipline from Warriors?

Kearney is a dumb stinkyhole.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

That was the sort of half Kearney lives for. Great completion rate and literally nothing else.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

bowmore posted:

would really suck for the warriors if they had to stay in Aus for the foreseeable future

Yeah, but itís the only realistic way they can take part in the comp. Theyíll probably fly home before the quarantine rules kick in tomorrow night then fly back to Australia midweek.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

bowmore posted:

They are going to need to set up a temporary club somewhere, fly families over and set up families and players in accommodation (all paid for by NRL)

Basically. Meanwhile every other club is going to want cash from the NRL to cover the loss of revenue due to empty stadiums.

garycoleisgod posted:

I'm going to make a brave call and say the Warriors are not very good at football.

Itís going to be an ugly year for us.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

bowmore posted:

Their minds may not be 100% in it if they heard the quarantine news, also the Knights are playing well (but not amazing)

The announcement came just before kickoff so they probably donít know yet.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Do they get a trophy for that?

Itís all Iíve got to look forward to right now.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

loving Kearney. Why did he have to move Fusitua to centre and why does he think Green still belongs out there?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

I've watched plenty of losing Warriors teams over the years, but Kearney's version is the worst because it's not even any fun.

Exactly. This is the worst possible combination of incompetence and boring. At least the hand grenade football of the late 90s and early 2000s was entertaining.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Also it's old ground but continuing to play Adam Blair is basically giving fans the middle finger at this point. I've seen enough from Taunoa-Brown & Katoa in the preseason that I'm quite happy shipping Blair off to NSW Cup never to be seen again. We're not making the finals so why not give some kids with a future a decent crack?

The same applies to Blake Green. He's done, we might as well see what next year is going to look like. GIve Nikorima and CHT time to figure out how to play together.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

bowmore posted:

Eat poo poo Roosters

iajanus posted:

Lol gently caress off roosters

garycoleisgod posted:

Suck a gently caress Roosters.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...ng-in-australia

quote:

Warriors CEO Cameron George says the side are on the verge of pulling out of the NRL.

The Warriors were looking to stay in Australia for one further week at this stage, after crossing the Tasman to play Newcastle Knights.

Originally the Warriors were looking at staying in Australia, so they could remain in the competition by avoiding two-week Government travel self isolation restrictions.

George has returned to New Zealand, telling Stuff on arrival the Warriors had agreed to give it a week, but then all of the players may come back.

This really sucks for the players. Several of them have young families- RTS's partner gave birth late last year and Hiku is expecting a child in the next few weeks. Sorting out the logistics for basing the squad on the Gold Coast is one thing, but they also need to think about how their families are supposed to cope without them for the foreseeable future.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I'm proud to be the Warriors of the tipping comp.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

It's crazy, but it's one way to at least keep the Warriors playing rather than have them drop out and miss out on a game a week. Right now we've got 24 healthy players in Australia. If we want to bring in reinforcements (or bring back Hiku and Herbert), they need to self isolate for 14 days in Australia before they can join the squad. Worse still, anyone that wants to return to NZ (which is more than a few) needs to self isolate for 14 days in NZ, spend whatever time they can with their family, then if they want to return to the playing squad they need to stand down for 14 days in Australia. Our reserve grade and junior squads are hosed because the Australian teams won't be coming here and most of those guys have day jobs and/or studies which means basing themselves in Australia like the first grade squad won't work.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Good on them for giving it a go. Hopefully we get dispensation to borrow reserve graders from other clubs to keep the squad going. It would also be good for our fringe first graders to get a run with other reserve grade teams now that ours has been officially withdrawn for the season.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

So the new border restrictions on boths sides of the Tasman are going to make it even harder for the Warriors. As long as they're in place, anyone that tries to pop back to NZ to visit their family can't make their way back until the restrictions are lifted.

2020 is hosed.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

These empty stadium games arenít as bad as I was expecting. The quality of commentary has a bigger impact on my enjoyment of the game.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Someone tell Blair and Green that weíd have no problem with them returning to NZ immediately.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

gently caress, send Kearney home too. A mentally handicapped kid could do a better job than that dumb stinkyhole.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

gently caress off, Blair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Watching grass grow is more interesting than the garbage Kearney is serving up.