Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
loving hell does that useless oval office get paid per mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

I just don't get it with Blair. He loving sucks and everyone can see it but he keeps getting picked. Reminds me he was dropped to reserve grade either last year or the year before, I watched the reserve grade game and he was just as hopeless at that level but lo and behold, straight back into first grade.

I don't remember him ever getting dropped. What I do remember is Kearney frequently threatening to drop players for poor performance and continually picking the same squad, sometimes with the excuse of being bound by the salary cap. Kearney sucks at holding players accountable, as well as picking a squad, managing interchanges and having players in the right position.

Smorgasbord posted:

Haha the fans over the fence at Leichardt loving it

Good on those guys.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Question from Kiwiland- can the NRL continue with the NSW/Victoria lockdowns which have been announced today?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Love that somehow the refs couldn't find the shoulder charge penalty when both the shoulder and head involve were injured

That was a textbook report scenario. Two refs, two touch judges and all the clowns in the bunker somehow missed it. And people wonder why we bag the officials.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Thanks Foxtel, I really needed to see that guy throwing up on the field.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

That was a nice pass by Reynolds.

The score is very flattering to the Tigers.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Is defending bombs optional when the Tigers practice?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

This may not be the best quality footy but at least it’s entertaining. As someone who has suffered through 160 minutes of the Warriors this year, this is much better to watch.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Not a surprise but still sad. The worst possible outcome is Kearney surviving another season so he can put everyone to sleep with what he calls a gameplan.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/in-shock-multiple-clubs-stand-down-staff-in-one-of-nrl-s-darkest-days-20200325-p54dw5.html

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it-s-a-difficult-time-for-everyone-two-head-coaches-put-on-leave-20200324-p54dhm.html

loving hell, we've only been on hold for a couple of days and teams are shutting up shop as quickly as possible.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

It came as a surprise to me because Super Rugby has been on a break for a bit longer and I haven't heard of anything like that happening with their teams.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

MiniSune posted:

Good to see Adam Blair will be paid closer to his actual value.

That would involve Adam Blair paying the club to be part of the team.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Adam Blair (2020, PO 21)

Wait, what the gently caress? I thought he was on a straight three year deal. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

quote:

Still looks grim, we can cut the deadweight of Blake Kakariki

Who is that? I've never heard of him.

quote:

Also Kearney is here to stay

That's the worst part of all of this. When the world returns to normality, we get to watch a team fight to win the completion rate battle every week whilst doing everything in its power to avoid actually scoring points.

quote:

Roache

He's basically a new and improved Ben Henry- this one gets injured even more often so we literally have no idea if he has any actual talent.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Yeah I got that impression about you thinking Blair was done and didn't have the heart/was happier playing along that he was gone end of this year.

Because I'm so loving upset about this, I've dug up the club's press release:

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2017/10/04/signing-blair-confirmed-for-three-years/

quote:

The Vodafone Warriors have today officially confirmed Kiwi captain Adam Blair’s signing on a three-year contract from next season.

I definitely remember that there was a lot of discussion at the time about Blair wanting four years, so the club giving him three years didn't seem so bad. How wrong I was in hindsight. I guess the story doesn't preclude the existence of a player option, or knowing Kearney he might have just given him another year because he is that loving stupid.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Have they figured out if the Warriors can get into Australia?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

(Idk I have no clue what the current rules are)

Since the world went to poo poo a couple of weeks ago I've lost track of how everything works. I know that New Zealand has locked down its borders pretty strictly- only citizens/residents and their families are allowed in now. I thought Australia may have done something similar.

E: Thanks for the new avatar, mysterious benefactor.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Please make this happen somehow I and everyone else can stay isolated for months just give me NRL

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

The NRL is, and has always been, run by complete loving idiots who have absolutely no financial acumen, so is constantly hovering just above bankruptcy. This does not help.

If it provides context, a good number of people in head office have traditionally been ex-players, and we all know how smart NRL players are.

Don't forget that something like half of the clubs only stay afloat because they have a leagues club sending poker machine profits their way. Which is the exact background the game's current CEO comes from.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

So what was the deal with Nine taking aim at the NRL? Did they have a score to settle with Greenberg or is there something else in play?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Interesting. I would have thought networks would be falling over each other to get their hands on live sports to broadcast right now.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

MiniSune posted:

Nice hit piece on ACA at the moment.

loving full of themselves. Ray Hadley is not a credible source.

So what form of muckraking did this take?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

ili posted:

Fox show all the club matches with their own commentary team, nine show three a week with their own commentary team. As I understand it they share camera feeds but they have their own team picking which shots to use, not sure if poo poo like spider cam is a nine only thing though cos it's been so long since I saw any footy and it's driving me mad.

Fox have a few decent commentators who love and understand the game but also a bunch who whinge constantly. Nine also fill their commentary with cunts who whinge endlessly about everything wrong with the game regardless of facts, and complain about refereeing decisions regardless of facts. The media here in general are reliant on the game for their industry to continue surviving but would also gladly destroy it for a headline.

Fox only appear to have a worse commentary team because they have to have enough depth to broadcast every game. They've got one amazing commentator (Voss), a handful of good ones and a lot of garbage. Over at Nine, Warren and Sterling are amazing, Hadley is human garbage and everyone else is decent to mediocre.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Wow. All hail V'landys, overlord of league.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Is this three year extension going to be another poo poo deal for the game just to get a short term cash injection? Because if that's the case, I don't get why V'landys is being hailed as a saviour while Greenberg is being blamed for everything that has gone wrong. It's not as if Greenberg did a great job to begin with, but it feels like he'll be used as a scapegoat for any fuckups by the new regime.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Great. So we're back to the bad old days of garbage deals for the TV rights.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

It's like a second off-season. How hard is it not to be a fuckwit? Very, if you play in the NRL, apparently.

Being a fuckwit is a prerequisite if you want to play in the NRL.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/300001029/nsw-police-clear-nathan-cleary-as-the-nrl-launches-fresh-probe-into-two-new-videos

Cleary busted lying about how long the girls were at his place. Unless they choreographed and recorded two Tiktok videos in that ten minute window they were supposedly there.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

I don't know, I don't mind the Warriors players raising questions about what's the deal with their families during the time. I mean, I would hope the NRL had thought that part through, but they're not really renowned for doing that...

It makes sense they want everything sorted out before they get on the plane. The last time they flew to Australia, they were expecting it to be a four day trip, and they got poo poo for not being happy about potentially being separated from their families for six months.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12328934

quote:

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has denied reports that the Warriors have been given permission to fly into Australia for the resumption of the NRL season.

FFS

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Nathaniel Roache tested positive to flu-like symptoms so didn't get to fly to Tamworth

I'm surprised he didn't get injured walking towards the plane.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Like I can understand people if their religion forbids them for some reason

When that's not the case? gently caress off, you're a poo poo player anyway, nobody will miss you this season.

Yeah, I have sympathy for those that have reasons for not wanting to vaccinate. Bryce Cartwright can gently caress right off. He doesn't get a free pass for being a dumb oval office. "Vaccine injured children" is an astonishingly stupid term I had not heard of before today.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12330662

quote:

The Queensland Government has confirmed three Gold Coast Titans players who refused a flu shot have been stood down while the sport's flu-jab policy is reviewed.

This afternoon, Queensland's chief medical officer revealed three players – Bryce Cartwright, Nathan Peats and Brian Kelly — had been stood down by the NRL while the ARLC reviews its stance on anti-vaccination.

This is good.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

loving anti vaxxers making GBS threads in all of our cornflakes once again

edit: in saying that, I'm pretty sure 97% is well above the rate for the overall population.

They have always been the stupid vocal minority. The problem we hit recently (thinking of the Samoa measles epidemic) was that herd immunity was supposed to protect those that couldn't be immunised, but instead let these anti-vaxx dumb cunts get away with their dangerous lies for longer than they ever should have.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

edit: Nathaniel Roache has joined the Warriors squad, meaning the 14 day quarantine restarted after 4 days. If/when Fusitu'a comes over he'll probably have to do it alone.

Apparently the club's leadership team decided that they were happy to restart their quarantine so that Roache could train with them rather than having to be on his own for two weeks. It's a nice gesture I guess.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12331177

Two games each for Cleary and May. Seems fair enough, I just hope it doesn’t get reduced on appeal.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Thanks for that.

A follow up question that just occurred to me. Lets say you get a kid that grows up in Melbourne and inexplicably takes up Rugby League as his sport of choice. He ends up playing for the Storm and being very very good. Would he get to play origin? If so where? Are there any famous examples of non NSW?QLD people being good enough at Rugby League in Aus. but being denied Origin?

The rules now state that in order to play Origin, you need to have been born in either state, played in either state before the age of 13 or had a father play Origin.

ili posted:

The Victorian, assuming he was born and raised in Melbourne and never resided in QLD or NSW, would not be eligible to play Origin unless his father had. I can't think of any notable Australian players who wouldn't be eligible for Origin selection off the top of my head. Hopefully the Storm help develop the game in Victoria and we get to handle that problem in the future.

Semi Radradra played for Australia because he qualified under residency and they paid better than Fiji, but was ineligible to play Origin.

Jono C fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 12, 2020

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

ili posted:

NSW have picked James McManus (Scottish then moved to the NT) and Aussie Jum. I don't think McManus would qualify under current rules, not sure exactly when Tamou came over.

I'm pretty sure Tamou is the reason they changed the rules. He was 13 when he moved over, although I had to look it up, I thought he was closer to 16. It was farcical that he only chose to play for Australia so he could play Origin.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

I read they're rejigging international eligibility again so guys like Josh Papali'i, Anthony Milford etc have to give up Samoan eligibility if they want to play origin.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/league-stars-to-be-forced-to-make-call-between-state-and-country-20200509-p54rcy.html

quote:

The International Rugby League has introduced changes to qualification rules that will prevent players from representing at NSW or Queensland at State of Origin level and playing for a country other than Australia in Tests.

The change now is that it's the global governing body saying you can't play Origin and a coutnry that isn't Australia. Previously it was ARL policy that in order to play Origin you must make yourself available for Australia. Of course they made exceptions in the past (Adrian Lam playing for PNG, Tonie Carroll being allowed back after playing for the Kiwis in the 2000 world cup). There was technically nothing stopping them from allowing SBW to play for NSW, other than trying to strengthen the Australian team.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I don’t mind the changes but the timing is terrible. These changes should be made before the start of the season, not when we’re two rounds in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

I like the 6 to go option, it infuriated me how the Storm, Roosters, Souths and their ilk gamed the system by constantly infringing on their goal line more or less deliberately conceding a penalty so they could get a breather and reset their line. For it to work though, the refs need to have some courage about using it liberally ALONGSIDE the sinbin not their usual cowardly options particularly with those teams.

The sin bin should have fixed this, but as usual the refs forgot about it after a month.

I remember them trying the six again rolling penalty during an All Stars game and it was loving confusing, you never knew when it had happened.