Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

New-ish American fan, first time noticing the thread.

Am I allowed to like Souths in here, or should I move along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Antitonic posted:

They havenít banned me yet!

Good enough! Not new like Covid new. Went to see them at Redfern last year against Penrith when I was in Sydney. Feels like a great team to support if I want to be disappointed every year (based on the last 18 months).

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Jono C posted:

Feel free to stick around and ask questions. We're a bunch of suicicidal alcoholics so we constantly need to build our numbers. Have you seen Midsommar? We're a bit like that. The Warriors and Tigers fans here are like the guy that jumps off the cliff and fucks it up.

We don't give a gently caress about who you support as long as it isn't Easts. gently caress the cunts.

Grand Final was so late here last year that I stayed up drinking all night and by the end I was sending facebook messages to Latrell Mitchell's official account calling him a fat stinkyhole. Now he's fatter and on Souths.

My only real question that I ask over and over again is how come teams don't take the 2 more on penalties? They are so overly confident every time and almost never turn it into a try. And even when they do they miss the kick anyway, so it's only 4.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Jono C posted:

League is a bit behind the rest of the sports world when it comes to advanced statistics, but most teams believe that their probability of scoring a try on a repeat set in the red zone gives a better weighted outcome than taking the two points. It also helps that a penalty goal is worth only half of a try (or a third of a converted try), whereas in rugby union a penalty is worth three points, which as a percentage is worth more than five points for a try or seven for a converted try. From the persepective of a fan, it means more running footy with ball in hand, which is what we're there to see. Meanwhile if you watch a game of union, you'll see goal kickers taking penalty shots anywhere in the attacking half and lose way too many minutes of your life watching them set up for those kicks, or setting up scrums or lineouts.

That makes sense. I was a "I hate all rugby" person who had only been introduced to Rugby Union, so certainly I wouldn't want to turn League into that other esoteric version of the sport. But it really seems like teams are leaving points on the table. At least for Souths, there's no way we converted even 1/3 of those new sets into trys and we were pretty good last year. Especially because Reynolds can kick; if we were relying on someone poo poo I could understand. But it just seems to me like the whole culture is "we are men, we don't kick!" and from a pure scoring the most points perspective it's probably wrong.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

iajanus posted:

All of the above is true and very well put, but I think it misses one point that you might have trouble believing: league players are ridiculously stupid and have almost no ability to engage their brains on any task that isn't criminal.

HAHAHA, this is what my friend who introduced me to Rugby League says all the time. Always remember, the players are the dumbest people on the planet. I was hoping his answer (which is the same as the one you guys have given me!) was maybe not fully informed.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

iajanus posted:

We're not saying they're bad people (although there's definitely the usual number of scumbags in there), they're just on the whole the most profoundly stupid people imaginable, and can be counted on to do the absolutely worst thing at every opportunity. At some point they're literally beyond parody.

They're pretty entertaining, though.

Nah not bad people. Just get into tag team prostitute scandals during pandemics and like to leave explicit voicemails to women in taxi cabs. Anyway, very glad I have an extended WatchNRL subscription for this year because of COVID-19 haha!

E: this game is at 2:30am my time, I'm going to be absolutely obnoxious if Souths are rampant... and won't make a post for a week if they are trash.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

iajanus posted:

Yeah you're going to fit right in here

Come join the discord if you haven't already, it's more real-time gnashing of teeth and alcoholism

Link isn't in the first post of the thread. Also never registered for Discord. I think I would be extremely, extremely obnoxious because the time difference basically guarantees I'm going to be about 15 whiskeys deep. But as a concession, I saw Matty Johns at the Manly Wharf when I was there (didn't know who he was), but he was kind of trying to be recognized... so it was apparently a fantastic standoff of him thinking a 35 year old sporty man must recognize him, and me the American treating him like some weird rear end in a top hat trying to make conversation with a stranger.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

iajanus posted:

Yeah I should probably remember to do that

https://discord.gg/bqxDStt

And we value obnoxious posting, it makes everything better

I'll be all over this in an hour. But for the rest of the league, my only opinions are that Cleary is a Neanderthal and Latrell is the fattest professional athlete in history. Oh, sorry, the Latrell opinion was a Souths opinion. So I only have one opinion.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Didn't wake up early enough to see this one, but looks like Latrell was amazing. Great for me because I can continue to pretend he's useless and fat. Might watch the replay later today though.

E: Oh wow, this game was over before it started. 26-0 only 20 minutes in. Great fun.

Nimmy fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

All things considered, a good season for Souths. I can't be too upset at losing to a really good Penrith team who is just physically a lot better. They were bullying us tonight and we were only saved by a lot of errors. Yeo is a monster.

Hard to really expect to be Champions when you're missing Lowe, Burns, Roberts, Graham, Mitchell, etc etc etc. Hoping for a big year in 2021, we have a ton of talent and just need to bring it all together. Even Tom Burgess has come good.

E: Go Panthers next week

Nimmy fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 17, 2020