Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Don't get my name wrong,
If you want to touch me there.

Forgive the ignorance of these next questions, as I am not a Rugby League follower:

1) Is the Womens Rugby League competition run by the NRL? Are the clubs affiliated with the Mens clubs or are they stand alone? When does it run? Is it a pre-season thing, does it run concurrent with the mens league? How long does it run for? What are participation rates like at lower levels? What is the standard like compared to the men? And I suppose the two most important questions, how is it recieved by fans? Does it get the same sort of "sheilas shouldn't play footy! The standard is not as good! This is a waste of time and money!" etc. whinging that AFLW gets from misogynist fans? Also relating to AFLW, does Womens NRL get financial/advertising support from the NRL, or is it, (like AFLW), treated as an embarrassing afterthought by out of touch league management?

2) This is more a qualitative question, but is Israel Folau really good enough to justify all the other poo poo. I mean he must have been good a while back, but is he currently a good enough footballer to justify hiring him? Does he do enough on the field to offset all the "controversy" that surrounds him. And also not forgetting that he is an unrepentant homophobic fundie arsehole. (And still on this, was he famous/loved/important enough to be a draw back when the AFL and GWS wasted their money on him?)

Again, apologies for the stupidness of the questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Don't get my name wrong,

iajanus posted:

1) Yes, I believe so. I think they're affiliated. They play as a sort of mini competition (like there's only a few teams so far) later in the year. From memory it was right at the end of the season last year. It's only a short round-robin - last year there were only 4 teams so it was pretty short, although I think they're planning to add a couple more this year. The standard is OK, not as high scoring (but unlike AFL that's not so much of an issue as the scores are lower anyway). The women also get their own State of Origin and Tests which were pretty popular and were of good quality last year. I haven't heard as much whining as from the AFLW non-fans, but to some degree it's not been pumped as much so there's less pathetic hurt pride on show from the "men" watching. From memory it got a fair bit of advertising and support from the NRL, especially considering the small size of the comp at this stage. Once there's a few more teams and a bit more of an organised competition I should probably add it to the OP.

2) Yes, he's a pretty good player, unfortunately. He's still got the skills and the (footballing, most certainly not any other type of) brain. He's a massive draw and I'm actually impressed the NRL held by its word and nobody's picked him up yet.

Thank you for these answers.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Don't get my name wrong,

Smorgasbord posted:

I'm happy for the NRL to block Folau, but it is patently ridiculous that they draw the line on what he did (or someone like Todd Carney) as beyond the pale when a violent piece of poo poo like Matt Lodge is accepted back into the game.

Is it an official NRL block/ban? Or is it just that no club wants to have anything to do with him?

And yeah, how did the NRL justify allowing Matt Lodge to keep playing after all that poo poo that went down in New York? As in, what was their official justification? Also, did he end up ever paying that couple the money he was court ordered to?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Don't get my name wrong,

Hi, I have an unrelated, stupid, and possibly offensively naive question.

Does Rugby League have a father/son rule? I.E. if the dad played X amount of games for a club, then said club gets first dibs on the son in the draft.

I am very sorry that this is a stupid question. I'm from Frankston, Rugby League is not my game.

And a similar question: Lets say there was a famous Queenslander who moved down to Sydney to play Rugby League. He is really good so he gets into the Qld. Origin team. Once his career has finished he settles in Sydney, has a son who is also very good at Rugby League. Does the son play Origin for NSW or Qld.? Has such a thing ever happened, fathers and sons playing for different states?

Once more sorry for the silly questions.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Don't get my name wrong,

ili posted:

Those aren't silly questions. Rugby league doesn't have a draft so the first bit doesn't apply. There is a father/son rule for Origin but I don't think it's ever been used. That hasn't stopped the Sydney media from whinging about Tristan Sailor and Lachlan Lam being eligible for QLD though. I'm not entirely sure whether the sons have any choice in the matter either.

Steve Rogers (born in QLD) played for NSW under residents and origin rules, while his son Mat (born in NSW) played for QLD as he moved here as a 9 year old and played all his footy up here.

Thanks for that.

A follow up question that just occurred to me. Lets say you get a kid that grows up in Melbourne and inexplicably takes up Rugby League as his sport of choice. He ends up playing for the Storm and being very very good. Would he get to play origin? If so where? Are there any famous examples of non NSW?QLD people being good enough at Rugby League in Aus. but being denied Origin?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Don't get my name wrong,

What gets me is, the very second that the cops were pushed back against, by having a magistrate see the video, they dropped the charges immediately.

If this was a lower-profile bloke who was handcuffed whilst sleeping and charged with 2 cases of assault for waving away an attempt to wake him up, then quite likely never would have been seen, and the guy would be facing some serious time.

Which is not a good thing.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Don't get my name wrong,

Some stupid questions from a non-Rugby League follower:

Is the Dally M best and fairest, or just best? Who gives out the 3, 2, 1 votes per game? Are you still eligible if your offense only gets a fine at the Tribunal rather than a suspension? Are there players that have won multiple Dally Ms and considered legends of the game but no premierships? (I am thinking similar to Robert Harvey or Bobby Skilton) And most importantly, when they show the presentation of it on TV, is it as boring and drawn out as Brownlow night?

Sorry for the stupid and probably self-evident questions.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Don't get my name wrong,

garycoleisgod posted:

Starting with the easiest answer first

Is the presentation any good?.
No, it's dogshit. Extra special dog poo poo on toast this year with virtual attendance with "awesome" compositing and graphics. And the results got leaked early by spivs working for the murdoch press.

Best and fairest or just best?
Best and fairest. You can get anywhere between 3 and 0 points per game. Best three players get 3 2 1 in order, other 31 players in the match get 0. If you get suspended during the season, 3 points are deducted from your tally for every week suspended. Important to note however is this is for suspensions for on-field behaviour. Nathan Cleary got a two match suspension this year for being a fuckwit and breaking COVID-19 restrictions, but this resulted in no points penalty because it was for an off-field incident. No points deducted for if fined at the judiciary rather than being suspended.

Who votes?
The best and brightest minds league has to offer. Just kidding ,it's ex-players who probably have CTE, thats why the points given out every game are sometimes kinda hosed. Full list of judges is:

A mixture of who's who and ...who? in that list. There is one judge for each match. A few years ago Ruan Sims, a female league player, was a judge and got in trouble for judging a game she didn't watch. She doesn't judge anymore.

Ever won by someone great who never won the big one?

The medal has been one on multiple occasions by: Thurston, A. Johhs, Michael Potter, Peter Sterling, Gavin Miller, Cliff Lyons, Cameron Smith, Jarryd "rapist" Hayne and Cooper Cronk.

Of those, Hayne has never won the big one (good), neither did Gavin Miller, 'cause he played for the sharks mostly, poor bastard.

Of one-time winners who never won the GF: Jack Wighton (yet), Steve Rogers, Gary Freeman & Todd Carney. Of those who never won the premiership, only Steve Rogers I think would be considered an uncontested great. And remember, gently caress Jarryd Hayne.

Full list of winners available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dally...20the%20season.

Thank you very much for this. I do appreciate serious answers to my naive questions.

A couple of things that I find very weird, (as a non League fan), though.

You can win the League's Best and Fairest player award even if you punch an opponent in the throat? You just have to re-earn those points in a later game? Doesn't that kinda make it being best AND fairest kind of useless? Just make it best then. (This is an argument we have in AFL too. Given that some of the best players in the game never won a Brownlow due to being dirty arseholes, and also some of the other best players in the game having phenomenal years, but being disqualified for one pissweak suspension. Leigh Matthews being the former, and Corey McKernan being the latter.) Also, no points off for off-field incidents means that theoretically Matt Lodge could win a Dally M, coz his criminal rampage in New York that he has yet to pay the court ordered costs for weren't on the pitch.

How did the player that judged a game she didn't see judge it at all? Also, do the ex-players judge games for the club they used to play for? Coz that seems like a system rife with and open to personal favouritism.

Thanks again for the full, and proper answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Don't get my name wrong,

Please forgive the stupid question:

Given the AFL is under-writing Gold Coast and GWS, throwing buckets of cash at both clubs so they can stay alive in "hostile territory". (Sydney and Brisbane used to be getting the same sort of cash, now not so much.)

Is the NRL doing the same with Melbourne? Coz given the fact that they were massively overpaying their team for many years, surely the wouldn't need the cash. Relatedly, where was that cash coming from? Sponsors? A millionaire team owner?

Sorry about the stupid and unrelated question.