Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Thanks mate, fair bit of work there. Here's a jersey photo to use for us this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Reports Jack Bird's done his acl again. Poor oval office, he's had an absolute bastard of a time the last few years.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Even if they were over 18, how hard is it to not gently caress the schoolgirls you met at a loving school visit. Jeez.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Top work by kayo, they dug deep and really gave 110% on this one.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

You can get three months free kayo if you create an account with one of the sleazy betting companies too. Betfair I think.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

In the ruined wasteland of post-pandemic Australia, Paul Gallen will reign supreme.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

It's so fucken weird to watch an empty stadium when it's not a Roosters game hey.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Interesting finish coming up.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah it's pretty cool just how loud the tackles are, also hearing the players talking to each other.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

From what I've read the NRL are trying but also fox hold a lot of international rights and are being cunts about it.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

That was quite a pass by Ash Taylor. Hope Copley's ok too, he's a real good bloke.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Lol at Nathan Brown calling someone a "fucken dirty oval office."

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Feeling pretty fucken bummed about this hey. Like obviously if they can't play they can't play, but footy was pretty much the only good thing in my life at the moment. Those few hours a week watching games were the only chance to really forget all the other bullshit going on.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Hope it's the Cam Smiths of the league getting their pay brought down to 100 grand and not the minimum wage players being cut down to 10.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Plus any time we have someone competent the media wage war on them, like the way they went at David Smith from day one. The NRL has been held back by possibly the world's worst media of any professional sport.

ili fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 8, 2020

ili
Jul 26, 2003

MiniSune posted:

Nice hit piece on ACA at the moment.

loving full of themselves. Ray Hadley is not a credible source.

Ray Hadley is a loving poo poo oval office.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Fox show all the club matches with their own commentary team, nine show three a week with their own commentary team. As I understand it they share camera feeds but they have their own team picking which shots to use, not sure if poo poo like spider cam is a nine only thing though cos it's been so long since I saw any footy and it's driving me mad.

Fox have a few decent commentators who love and understand the game but also a bunch who whinge constantly. Nine also fill their commentary with cunts who whinge endlessly about everything wrong with the game regardless of facts, and complain about refereeing decisions regardless of facts. The media here in general are reliant on the game for their industry to continue surviving but would also gladly destroy it for a headline.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I would expected Rabs to cark it or retire years ago though tbh. Iirc he would have retired by now but he's a heavy punter so doesn't have much money.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah it's hosed hey. How many people have the media rolled now? They waged a campaign against David Smith and Peter Beattie, now they've scalped Greenburg while blowing V'Landys every chance they got. I can only think Greenburg expected them to pay fair market value or something similar to get them so riled up.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Having installed their bloke as the ARLC chair, then ousting the CEO, it looks like the tv networks aren't wasting any time in squeezing the NRL's balls over the broadcasting deal. Reports this morning are they're close to closing a deal on a three year extension.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jono C posted:

Is this three year extension going to be another poo poo deal for the game just to get a short term cash injection? Because if that's the case, I don't get why V'landys is being hailed as a saviour while Greenberg is being blamed for everything that has gone wrong. It's not as if Greenberg did a great job to begin with, but it feels like he'll be used as a scapegoat for any fuckups by the new regime.

Because the media own V'landys and are the ones who pushed hard for him to get the job in the first place.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

Hi, I have an unrelated, stupid, and possibly offensively naive question.

Does Rugby League have a father/son rule? I.E. if the dad played X amount of games for a club, then said club gets first dibs on the son in the draft.

I am very sorry that this is a stupid question. I'm from Frankston, Rugby League is not my game.

And a similar question: Lets say there was a famous Queenslander who moved down to Sydney to play Rugby League. He is really good so he gets into the Qld. Origin team. Once his career has finished he settles in Sydney, has a son who is also very good at Rugby League. Does the son play Origin for NSW or Qld.? Has such a thing ever happened, fathers and sons playing for different states?

Once more sorry for the silly questions.

Those aren't silly questions. Rugby league doesn't have a draft so the first bit doesn't apply. There is a father/son rule for Origin but I don't think it's ever been used. That hasn't stopped the Sydney media from whinging about Tristan Sailor and Lachlan Lam being eligible for QLD though. I'm not entirely sure whether the sons have any choice in the matter either.

Steve Rogers (born in QLD) played for NSW under residents and origin rules, while his son Mat (born in NSW) played for QLD as he moved here as a 9 year old and played all his footy up here.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

Thanks for that.

A follow up question that just occurred to me. Lets say you get a kid that grows up in Melbourne and inexplicably takes up Rugby League as his sport of choice. He ends up playing for the Storm and being very very good. Would he get to play origin? If so where? Are there any famous examples of non NSW?QLD people being good enough at Rugby League in Aus. but being denied Origin?

The Victorian, assuming he was born and raised in Melbourne and never resided in QLD or NSW, would not be eligible to play Origin unless his father had. I can't think of any notable Australian players who wouldn't be eligible for Origin selection off the top of my head. Hopefully the Storm help develop the game in Victoria and we get to handle that problem in the future.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Smorgasbord posted:

Young Tonumaipeia is Victorian I believe, and I think Justin O'Neil is from Northern Territory but played junior league in Queensland so qualified that way.

Yeah, I had Young Tonumaipeia in mind but I doubt he'll ever play Origin. O'Neil's a Queenslander, Will Chambers was born in QLD but moved to the NT as a young kid and came back here as a 13 year old. NSW have picked James McManus (Scottish then moved to the NT) and Aussie Jum. I don't think McManus would qualify under current rules, not sure exactly when Tamou came over.

Jono C posted:

The rules now state that in order to play Origin, you need to have been born in either state, played in either state before the age of 13 or had a father play Origin.

Semi Radradra played for Australia because he qualified under residency and they paid better than Fiji, but was ineligible to play Origin.

Yeah Semi's a good pickup.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I don't blame the refs, they cracked down on wrestly bullshit a coupla years back. The usual pundits complained bitterly after a particularly bad game with a shitload of penalties and the NRL admin caved.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

gently caress, that sucks but also good for macca. I'd have liked to see him be a one club man but he was clearly second to Turpin. Good bloke though. Take care of him.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Reds.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Yep. The Eels are pretty good but we sealed the deal with a bunch of dropped ball and silly errors. Hoping as the season goes on they'll come good, that one looked like a round 1 game. Also whoever has us over the next few weeks will be lucky, with Fifita (knee, TBA), Glenn (hospitalised at half time), TPJ (suspended for the nth time) and Hoppa (no good) all busted or gone the second row is a massive weak spot at the moment.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus posted:

I think it was the one where a knight kicked a second ball at a Tigers player trying to catch a bomb that led to the game winning try?

Still a little mad about that

Korbin Sims yeah, it was a sweet kick too. Claimed he never saw it in a post match interview but he had that ball lined up several strides away.

If it makes you feel any better they lost 19 games in a row after that.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Now we just need the Raiders to win to round out the day.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Man I love seeing teams give it to the Storm. Kinda sucks how Cam Smith turned into an absolute grub the day he stopped playing for QLD.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

That 40/20 was just mint.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah I'm less than 100% certain we can come back from this.

ili fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 4, 2020

ili
Jul 26, 2003

MiniSune posted:

Only if Easts transform into Wests. 1999 vintage.

I live in hope. They might tire themselves out from scoring all these tries, or just bored with it. Then we'll be primed for a comeback.

ili fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 4, 2020

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Only positive to come out of tonight is if we beat the Dragons and become the first team to sack the coach this year.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

BlindSite posted:

Staggs pulled a hammy in training this week. Grade 2 apparently out 4 to 6 weeks. Broncos are going to miss his impact on the edge.

Yep, with Staggs joining Athars, Bird, and Kahu on the injured backs list I'm not sure who they're going to use this week. Coates is dire in defence and would likely get torn apart at centre. They'll likely keep him on the wing and chuck in either Kennar or Niu. It's going to be grim no matter who they put where. Apparently Paix broke his hand in the Roosters flogging too. At this point I'm expecting the team bus to crash on the way to the game and we'll have to field a team of ball boys and coaching staff.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

BlindSite posted:

No surprise they brought in Luke then. Coates will keep his wing spot, tesi niu might get a start at centre but I think given he's 18 they'll put a forward there instead maybe Alex Glenn or poo poo even t'eo though they might rotate both in and out and shuffle around with Oates, boyd and herbie depending on who they want where to cover holes.

Tpj is back this week which should give some punch upfront which they'll need but the edge defense is going to be porous.

Ponga and pearce will be licking their chops this week though.

I could see that, but Lexy plays on the left and is just back from his bad gash, I read he's likely starting off the bench. Hopefully they find some way to plug it up properly I'm not a fan of shunting the backline around during a game. I guess we'll see this arvo.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

BlindSite posted:

Looks like they did the easy thing.

Not a huge surprise. I've been too busy but it would be interesting to see how keen Oates was to go back to the wing. Interesting they've named Paix too, I was under the impression he's busted.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

He's hosed us a fair few times too, half of our roster was on his books plus the bloody coach. Everyone connected with that Storm fraud should have been given a life ban from the NRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Absolute dogshit penalty there.