Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

So the Nines are on this weekend, starting soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

bowmore posted:

who’s watching the 9s?

Warriors start 2020 with the Women forgetting to bring their jerseys

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I don't think I need to bother with this tournament.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

Hahahahaha the refs just completely hosed over the Panthers in the most hilarious way

Good thing nobody cares about the Panthers or the Nines.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

That's all I want out of this stupid tournament. Nobody gives a gently caress about who wins the nines. I just don't want any of my guys to miss real game time because of this.

The fact that we didn't send RTS or Tohu Harris actually improves my confidence in the club despite the poor performance.

edit: must admit it's fun to see Jason Nightingale's hilariously-awkward-but-effective heroics one more time.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

The scumbag who apparently murder-suicided his kids in Brisbane today played a trial game for the Warriors in 2005 so the headline is of course all about the "EX NRL PLAYER".

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I'm happy for the NRL to block Folau, but it is patently ridiculous that they draw the line on what he did (or someone like Todd Carney) as beyond the pale when a violent piece of poo poo like Matt Lodge is accepted back into the game.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

He only paid them after the outrage when it was found he had made no effort to do so. The NRL should have made it a condition of registering his contract that damages in the civil suit had to be paid out first.

Yes, and I don't think he paid them anywhere near what he was supposed to. He basically strongarmed them into a much smaller settlement than what the court had ordered with the threat of them not being able to get anything out of him otherwise with him being in Australia and them in the U.S

edit: given he was on a heavily discounted deal at Brisbane (remember he turned down a much larger contract with Newcastle despite the very hefty unpaid debt) the suspicion was that he didn't even pay whatever settlement it was, rather the Broncos and their associates took care of it.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 21, 2020

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Warriors lost to the Storm by 2, but not much to take out of it there weren't a lot of proper firstgraders to be found. Chanel Harris-Tavita played well, hope he gets the 6 over Nikorima who I'd much prefer as a 14.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

My preference would be to send Blake Green to the glue factory now and get Harris-Tavita and Nikorima playing together.

Yeah I guess so, the year is a writeoff and Green is done.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

Don't forget Blair's albatross of a contract.

Of course the new regime continue to show they have no loving idea what they're doing. After Afoa did his ACL, they did the logical thing and let Lisone go to the Titans. Who needs front row depth anyway?

What? Really? That is bizarre.

edit: read up on it, apparently bad blood with Kearney for a while. He was dominant in u20s but never really amounted to much in first grade and had terrible discipline so oh well. Looks like we've upgraded Jamayne Taunoa-Brown to the top 30 and trying to sign Murchie from Canberra.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 22, 2020

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

When was the last time this happened? Oh right, the whole Shaun Johnson fiasco which resulted in our 2019 season being torpedoed because Kearney got butthurt.

I would've preferred Johnson to stay but there's more to it than that. He is notoriously inconsistent and somewhat injury prone yet was demanding 1.1million+ per year. The club handled it badly but he was delusional about his worth so what are you gonna do? I don't see much point in forcing an unhappy player to stay at the club for a lame duck year.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Brandon Smith is not bad at all.

Reckon he's my favourite player

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Fun game, so much better than the horrendous old All-Stars concept.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Warriors look terrible, good to see Kearney's new offense is the same dogshit as last year. How many 5th tackle turnovers with seemingly nobody having any idea what to do?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Canterbury Bulldogs have a bit of a scandal. Two of their players were caught loving underage girls.

Well not underage, but high schoolers they initially met at a club visit to the school.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Countdown to the Bulldogs sacking them then CHN surfacing at the Roosters next year after a stint in Super League.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

No i’m just fat

As long as it's not one of those gross Hi-Vis ones I'll take it

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Bronson Xerri has been tested for COVID-19, if he's positive then we have serious problems with the season.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

We're also subject to calls made by the NRL, but it sounds like Greenberg hasn't been in direct contact with the Warriors, so we'll need to wait a day or two to figure out what's going on over here. Hell, we might not want those dirty Australian clubs bringing that grubby virus to our shores.

That's going to really gently caress things up. At that point the entire Sharks squad needs to be tested and possibly stood down if Xerri was training with them whilst contagious.

Greenberg probably forgot about the Warriors.

And Xerri apparently lives with Kyle Flanagan.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

All arrivals to NZ must self isolate for 14 days. RIP the NRL season unless they either exclude the Warriors or have the Warriors stay in Australia all season.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...ovid19-outbreak

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I've watched plenty of losing Warriors teams over the years, but Kearney's version is the worst because it's not even any fun.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

Exactly. This is the worst possible combination of incompetence and boring. At least the hand grenade football of the late 90s and early 2000s was entertaining.

Also it's old ground but continuing to play Adam Blair is basically giving fans the middle finger at this point. I've seen enough from Taunoa-Brown & Katoa in the preseason that I'm quite happy shipping Blair off to NSW Cup never to be seen again. We're not making the finals so why not give some kids with a future a decent crack?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Looks like the Warriors are going to be based out of the Gold Coast and the comp will continue for now. Press conference in 45 minutes or so.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

MiniSune posted:

There isan article in the paper that RL is about to do a deal with ESPN globally to show all matches, mainly because ESPN has a huge gap in programming now.

I made a suggestion along those lines yesterday on a facebook group, if they can somehow hold this season together this could end up being a massive boon for the game.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

I think the idea is cool and crazy and kind of want to see it happen.

Imagine all the players just dying to get a crack at some first grade games

That 'possible makeshift team' is nonsense clickbait but the overall concept is sensible if you project the current conditions across the whole season. Half of the team are parents and can't reasonably be expected to stay in Australia until the end of the August (no worries about finals footy for us). Throw in the usual injuries etc and we need a contingency plan for depth as you can't slot in a Warrior reserve grader as necessary as they'd need to back home working their day job or study before even contemplating a isolation period in Australia then again if/when they return to NZ.

People will talk about military parents or FIFO workers etc but they go into that situation knowing and planning in advance for how the family will cope.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...me-to-australia Tevaga, Paasi, Curran, and Beale are all flying over to Australia today despite the 14 day stand down so seems like the Warriors are planning to stick it out.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I can't take much more of Adam Blair

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I just don't get it with Blair. He loving sucks and everyone can see it but he keeps getting picked. Reminds me he was dropped to reserve grade either last year or the year before, I watched the reserve grade game and he was just as hopeless at that level but lo and behold, straight back into first grade.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Haha the fans over the fence at Leichardt loving it

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

Question from Kiwiland- can the NRL continue with the NSW/Victoria lockdowns which have been announced today?

AFL expected to shut down today, apparently V'Landys thinks he has a cunning plan to carry on.

I liked the Idea of setting up all the teams in camp at Caliope and flying them in and out of Brisbane/Townsville for the games.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

garycoleisgod posted:

NRL season indefinitely suspended. Likely because QLD closing it's borders removed the last option to play on.

Be interesting to see if all clubs survive, I'm looking at you Titans.

Undefeated season for the raiders. I'll take it.

gently caress.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Word is if there is no resumption this year the players need to take an 87% pay cut otherwise everything is megafucked.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Good signing, whether he's on an edge or in the middle Frizzell is an elite player. I'm hoping Herman Ese'ese moves somewhere he can get the minutes he deserves (Warriors please).

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

So looking ahead to 2021....

WARRIORS

2020 squad: Bunty Afoa (2021), Leeson Ah Mau (2021), Gerard Beale (2020), Adam Blair (2020, PO 21), Lachlan Burr (2020), Josh Curran (2021), Wayde Egan (2022), Jackson Frei (2020), David Fusitu’a (2023), Blake Green (2020), Tohu Harris (2021), Chanel Harris-Tavita (2022), Peta Hiku (2020), Patrick Herbert (2020), Eliesa Katoa (2021), Adam Keighran (2020), Karl Lawton (2021), Ken Maumalo (2022), Taane Milne (2020), Kodi Nikorima (2021, PO 22), Agnatius Paasi (2022), Isaiah Papali’i (2020), Hayze Perham (2021), Adam Pompey (2021), Leivaha Pulu (2020), Nathaniel Roache (2020), Jamayne Taunoa-Brown (2021), Jazz Tevaga (2021), Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (2022)

Gains: Wayde Egan (Panthers), Adam Pompey, Eliesa Katoa (upgraded from development deals), Jamayne Taunoa-Brown

Losses: Ligi Sao (Hull FC), Tevita Satae (Hull FC), Blayke Ayshford (retired), Issac Luke (Dragons), Sam Lisone (Titans)

2021 gains: Ben Murdoch-Masila (from Warrington until 2023)

Coach: Stephen Kearney (2022)

Still looks grim, we can cut the deadweight of Blake Kakariki but somehow need to convince Blair not to take his player option

Also Kearney is here to stay, don't think many clubs will be able to pay out sacked coaches willy-nilly when we return. Murdoch-Masila did gently caress all in the NRL but he is very impressive in the Super League games I've seen him in and played well for Tonga too so we'll see how that goes. Happy letting all those expiring contracts go except maybe Herbert & Roache (even though he's just another broken dream at this point), at least they'd be cheap.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? I thought he was on a straight three year deal. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Who is that? I've never heard of him.

That's the worst part of all of this. When the world returns to normality, we get to watch a team fight to win the completion rate battle every week whilst doing everything in its power to avoid actually scoring points.

He's basically a new and improved Ben Henry- this one gets injured even more often so we literally have no idea if he has any actual talent.

Yeah I got that impression about you thinking Blair was done and didn't have the heart/was happier playing along that he was gone end of this year.

Kakariki = Green.

Kearney loving sucks and we're stuck with him so we will continue to suck and everyone good will leave us.

Roache is legit but it's pretty clear his body cannot handle NRL.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

So apparently about 1/3 of the players' retirement fund is missing because the NRL was using that money for operational costs for the last 2 or 3 seasons or so. I'm sure the players are thrilled to hear this right now.

Isn't that in control of the RLPA?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Please make this happen somehow I and everyone else can stay isolated for months just give me NRL

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

I wouldn't call Warren amazing from the little I hear from him nowadays (origin and finals). He's gotten a lot more rambling and goes off on weird tangents all the time. He's still better than a lot of callers but he's ageing quickly.

It doesn't help that he's usually paired with Gould. I exclusively listen to the Fox guys which makes it especially painful to deal with the Nine crew for origin etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

The axe was about to drop on Greenberg right when the Covid-19 stuff first emerged so it's not too surprising.