Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Notorious AGP posted:

The title alludes to cross-dressing, but there's nothing about it in the OP. Since I'm a tran, I'm curious: What references, if any, are there to cross-dressing in the lore of Heathenry?

Not involved in the religion, but there are a few references to cross-dressing in the Edda and some of the other sagas/myths. Thor dressed as Freya to get his hammer back and Odin dressed as a medicine woman to gain access to Rindr's bedchamber and rape her. Hervor dressed as a man and went on a quest to find her father's cursed sword, Tyrfing. There are a couple others like Hagbard and Frotho I, but I don't think those have much of the original text remaining so there is a lot that isn't known about their stories. I'm sure someone will expand on these as there is probably plenty I'm forgetting.

OP, I'm curious what heathenism is doing to combat the co-opting of Norse symbols by racists. Do you find it difficult to attract new members/be open about your religion because of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU