Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Playing music in the key of HIP!
Fun Shoe

zonohedron posted:

How does modern heathenry view the eclectic "I live in Wyoming and my ancestors are from Germany and I worship Odin and Isis" sort of neopagan?

I can answer this one since this is the space in heathenry that surrounds me. It is outwardly accepted. One of the people in the large organization I belong to claims to work with the acheulian mother goddess. She also rolls with Loki and Frey(Tias spelled Frej). There are many folk that mix pantheons. On one hand it makes sense. In the olde times each village and region would have a different set of gods they venerated over others and there would be bleed-over with neighbors. On the other hand it can lead to some seemingly bizarre altars.

They are as legitimate as anyone else at the end of the day and there are only 2 commandments.
1) You are doing it wrong.
2) You aren't my dad!

*Edit: rephrasing to not be an rear end in a top hat.

Bhurak fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Would raising a runestone be something that you do in a community now, or is it considered more of an "old time" heathenry thing?

Quick post because it's funny

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/1Kk0Q

Crossdressing because it's also quick: it was mentioned but the best example is Thryms lay. It's also an example of what a wedding may have looked like.

The Nazi question is a longer one.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Is there lot of spinning to reach the Gods, ecstatic dances that sort of thing, or is that a different sub-set of heathenry.

Could you talk a little more about the ideas of gender in past Nordic worship, as well as in current heathenry if you have the time/inclination.

On this side of the pond the new sex seems to be voluntary possession or 'horsing' where you let one of the gods take over for a bit. Came out of past practice of using ecstatic trances to contact the norns. The book in question is this one by Diana Paxson.. It's more of a group activity since sometimes people have difficulty coming out of it. Brains are weird yo. This is a personal account of possession.. It will probably raise more questions than answers.

Generally most folk don't go that far. The runes are the most common method and the gods talk to whoever they want. It is often arbitrary but there is a sense to it.

As far as gender in past worship the short answer is we don't know a lot. There are hints in accounts of gender bending priests but yeah. When the church stamps, they stamp hard. My Catholic priest friend when we were younger often joked "When was the last time you heard if an albagensian(sp?)?". In the circles I run in it doesn't matter. I think if I sat down and counted there are actually more prominent female than male godspeople. Oh, that's a thing too. There is currently a push to make a gender neutral name for clergy. Currently it's Gothi/Gythja or Godsman/Godswoman. Likely the Norse words will be dropped.

I'm actually curious what folk do in Europe in regards to the ecstatic practices.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
Could be considered verified? Done in a group setting by many people with consistent results? Tias and tldr short explanation at the end.

Either way it's not strictly reconstructionist. On this side of the pond heavy reconstructionist focus is typically associated with folkish heathenry. We also don't have a landscape marked by the gods. We took someone else's. The heavy hitters from the revival over here came from or were heavily influenced by Wicca and Satanism. Read anything by Edred Thorsson or Kvedulfr Gundarsson. Or don't. That's a better choice. This has led to what I can only imagine are different flavours of the same religion which is as it should be, really. Even here in Canada each province has its own feel. There is a lot more experimentation. Which means since so much was lost we can fill in the gaps with what works and toss what doesn't.

This has also led to some cringe. One of the often used pieces of ritual is the hammer rite which was adapted from the Wicca calling of the quarters. When I was writing the ritual for my wedding I asked Freyr what he thought of the hammer rite and he responded with the equivalent of a wet fart.

Thankfully the last decade or so has had some much more scholarly influence and some of the worst bits are being slowly removed to be replaced with other cringe induction devices.

A bit of a long phone post but more for those not of the religion to get a glimpse.

Tias/tldr:
Not recon because of that gaps and landscape and so many of the heavy hitters are from California so the smell of Wicca and Satan with a dose of new age dipshittery can be overwhelming.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
Stephen Flowers/Edred Thorsson was one of the founders of the Troth who got kicked out for too much Satan. He runs said mail order course. I would surmise he is just a fuckhead. My experience thus far in this community leads me to believe everyone is sincere
So in his case he's a sincere dipshit. Most recent book had the black sun on the cover and I believe without actually looking into it his "Book of Troth" is now being published by the AFA so not really dancing around the racism anymore.

KvedulfR (not a typo) Hagan Gundarsson/ Stephen Grundy is another founder of the Troth. He came out of the 90s as well. Doesn't appear to be racist in spite of his love of the swatztika. Claims to also be a wizard. I'm currently going through his magnum opus and it's rough. Lots of claims, no citations. He is an actual scholar so I don't get it. Too many mushrooms perhaps. May have quit the organization he founded in December over some pretty loltastic drama between him and a member of the governing body. Which seems to be part for the course.

I'm trying to find good books to reference and use for research and ritual design without the new age smell, what would you recommend Tias or anyone else in this thread?

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

What was it that made you look at "Norse heathenry" and say "yes, these guys have it right and this is what I believe in". Not trolling, I'm genuinely curious.

It was the reciprocity and world accepting philosophy.
Why is the world poo poo? It started out chaotic then evil and has only become as good as it has through hard work.
Why do bad things happen to good people? See above. Even the gods die. poo poo just happens.

How do you make things better? Hard work and community. Reciprocity.

I approached it initially as a world view. Everything else came later.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

The recent talk about modern influences in paganism got me thinking, especially the comment about people drawing poo poo from Marvel movies:

How do modern pagans react to the liberal use of their religion in pop culture? Marvel's Thor is kind of a mind gently caress when you think about it through that lens. Like, I'm trying to imagine Jesus or Ram or Buddha as a no bullshit member of the Justice League or something. If you stop and think about it, there are a bunch. Everything form TV shows to movies to video games. I mean, culture isn't exactly lacking in judeo-christian reference (Diablo is kind of, uh, influenced by christian hell iconography although it's less direct than something like Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice) but it never seems as direct as Thor, a god recognized as part of a divine pantheon in this very thread, punching a giant purple Space Hitler on the big screen.

Super best friends?

It seems to be taken fairly well but with a grain of salt. This is the religion for loving nerds, after all. Nerds like pop culture and all the heathens I know buy anything vaguely Norse. Myself included.

I've seen some internal communication where a fellow was lamenting teenage girls and "boyfriend Loki" telling jokes but he seemed like a humourless dick.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

PharmerBoy posted:

Any good resources for the heathen-curious outside of popping in here and asking questions?

I'm not geographically close to any groups, so I'm looking for books of similar. I've seen some names tossed around (Diane Paxson, Eric Wodening), but I'm not even sure how to evaluate what I'm looking at for basic resources.

If you are in North America the best resources as far as books go are Diana Paxsons Essential Asatru and Patricia Lafayllves Practical Heathens Guide to Asatru. Pretty much everything else is either going to be racist trash or super duper new agey. I liked Practical heathen. It's short and straight forward. As far as organization go there is TAC and The Troth. I don't have much experience with TAC but a friend of mine is the ambassador for Montana and they have a good onboarding process even if their ...theology(?) Is a bit questionable. The Troth is where I'm at but their onboarding is not well handled. I was a member for a year until I realized that there was a mailing list I was supposed to be a member of. The mailing list is still their main form of communication and they have been less than receptive to suggestions that maybe it's ok to leave the 20th century. They also have a supposed quarterly magazine but the winter issue is something like 6 months late at this point so I wouldn't even consider it a thing.

Hope that's helpful.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

What does the practice/tradition of Norse Heathenry say about disease and poo poo like the pandemic we're experiencing? Is there any analogous historical situation known of?

There has actually been internal discussion in my org about it. On one end the wizards say they might be a thurs (hostile jotun). On the other end the joyless fucks think it shouldn't be a discussion at all. Not sure on the historical side. In my readings thus far it hasn't come up and that might be because the heathens didn't really keep records like the church did. There are charms against "venoms and flying poisons" so I would say it's not unknown.

Divination told me we are on our own and that the social distance was needful. A friend of mine had a chat with one-hand and he told her to suck it up, sacrifice is supposed to hurt.

Not sure if that's any help.

Unrelated, I'm currently pursuing studies with the intention of eventually being clergy. Since this is the religion for nerds the quantity of reading is astounding. If folks are interested I can do a brief write up of each book I've read thus far and each one as I finish. Sort of a review/synopsis.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tias posted:

I don't think Thurser are hostile as is, they're just another tribe (or possibly another kenning) for jotun.

In our teachings over here and in The Troth, the word is pretty much only used in relation to Surt and his crew. It may be wrong. When I worked at a living history museum we'd often be taught things orally that had been stated at some point in the distant past by someone with some authority and never questioned until someone read a book. As I go through my readings, even this early I'm finding the source of various assertions taught in "Heathenry 101" books and courses. It could also be a difference in language. I speak a bastard pidgin language that's a bit further removed from the lore.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Could you go into this? Not being lovely, I'm actually interested in what this kind of process it nvolves. I'd really love to know the internal working.

In the simplest sense, I ask a question aloud or silent form one in my head and then I pull a rune. Most of the time I'm communicating with Freyr. I am literally using an app. It has no permissions and works just as well in a room without connectivity. Google isn't listening to my poo poo I'm just talking with the RNG. The runes don't matter* just that they can be randomized. They also aren't super duper magical. They are a language with agreed upon meanings that facilitate communication between you and the elder kin. I could probably fashion a divination tool out of my child's alphabet blocks that works just as well. This is where I differ from most folk. I have a reference where the general meanings and readings are but I've never done any formal method or training or courses.

Am I wearing my hammer? Yes? Proceed. I ask a question and pull a rune. Context matters. Did I ask a yes no question? If there is a pointy bit on the rune it usually means thumbs up or down. It gets more complex from there. Ok, you have an answer. Ask the same question in a different way. Still get a similar response? Good. You understand. Or consistently misunderstand in a fashion where they can talk to you. Ask who you are talking to. I've had names spelled out. Which triggered an existential crisis and why I'm not atheist anymore. The bounds of probability became constantly pushed beyond what was reasonable. I shouldn't be able to have a coherent conversation with a RNG that can spell and has a sense of humour.

In the specific case I mentioned one morning I was concerned about affording a possible quarantine so I thought I'd tease him and ask if he was going to make me a lotto winner to which he replied with an inverted Othila. Othila is family, hearth, home, inheritance. So not inheritance but also it being upside down is also sort of saying "No family" or "You are on your own". No lotto for me, guess I can't retire...I then asked "No help at all?". He replied With Isa. Isa is ice and usually means proceed slowly but also can mean "freeze" or in the pidgin we've worked out means "wait" (company that day sent out their pandemic preparedness plan which had provisions for quarantine pay. They didn't follow them but that's a different story.) I then asked if we should to do the social distancing and the reply was Nauthiz or "Need".

I don't know how my friend talks with Tyr. She may cast runes. There are other methods though.

One thing to note is that runes |= heathenry. Lots of heathens practice it but many don't.

*I have a set of runes that I bought 10 years ago at a used bookstore on a lark and they are as dead as this forum is gay. I think it's because they are mass produced as opposed to being hand made with care. The app gets around this because the code was lovingly crafted by a basement troll. I think. I dunno

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

I know that "casting*" I'd be so interested in just talking to you about this process and learning about it just for my own learning if your cool with it.

*Is that the right word? It's what it is as translated in the old poo poo I'm used to reading is, but I don't mean to offend to offend anyone and I know we're talking beyond a language barrier. I mean no offense and would honestly appreciate a more full break down from the brief versions I got in two weeks of undergrad classes.

Casting is as good a word as any and as far as I can tell comes from Tacitus "Agricola and Germania" where he talks about casting lots. A quick search found this web page which is not a terrible summary. Ultimately we don't know what was done in pre-christian era because the church and her agents (looking at you St Olaf) did a fairly effective job stamping it out.

The thing to keep in mind is that all of this, from the runes, to the various flavours of neopaganism all came from the 19th century nationalistic search for an ur-identity. Cyrano could probably give you good run down of it, but it spawned things like those photos of the children playing with "real" fairies as well as the protocols of the elders of zion. Some of it was good, most wasn't.

In the case of the runes you have fellows like Guido List claiming an ancestral pipeline to forgotten knowledge that only his family is privy to. In other words, what we call in the biz MUS (made up poo poo). However this MUS is a coherent design that allows communication with agreed upon symbols that have cultural significance to the practitioners. Even to this day there claims by folks that they know the one true way. In my circles the go to book is typically Diana Paxsons "Taking Up The Runes" and a friend was expressing to me internal organizational drama because one of the talking heads in TAC was saying Diana doesn't know anything and her sources which include a dude from Wardruna and I think one from Heilung had taught her the true method which is hilarious on several levels.

Even beyond the pagan beefing a lot of people treat them as holy objects. I was looking at the back of the Hu album a month or two ago and I remarked that writing on the back of the album was faux runes. My friend said "They aren't runes that's a font" so even suggesting that something might be aesthetically runic while not being the runes is unthinkable to some.

I'm not sure if that is anything at all what you wanted. I'm happy to answer questions with the caveat that I am not a wizard and not super read up on the available literature so anything too esoteric will definitely end up in the realm of stuff I think but can't prove. (UPG)

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

Frozen 1, Frozen 2. Discuss.

My child is not yet old enough where I must look the beast in the eye. My time will come.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

You sound like a person who really needs to let it go. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVHJ6OwTYWc

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
My plan with the literature review is to chart my journey of readings as a heathen and as someone who plans on becoming clergy.  The order of writings will be in the order in which I read them. Please ask questions, add comments, whatever you want.  This is as much an expose on the available literature as an opportunity for me to crystalize my thoughts and get challenged on ideas.

The first one on the block is the first edition of Our Troth.  Our Troth is the handbook/reference for The Troth.  The Troth is one of the inclusive asatru orgs in North America.  The first edition was published in 1993 and is very indicative of the era and has left it's mark even to this day.  I did a quick search and the website I read ihas been scrubbed, so I can't link it here but I've seen in on :files: so if the interest piques you...  I wouldn't unless you enjoy delving into the evolution of the religion.

The book itself is a collection of essays and reports authored by Kveldulfr Gundarsson(Stephen Grundy) as well as other members of organization at the time.  I have not read a print edition however the text however provided the HTML version is a faithful reproduction, then it is light on citations.  This would be consistant with the other writings of Gundarssons that I have read.  It was a good start and for me at the time, the perfect introduction as I could read it on my phone while conducting testing at work.  The information is mostly the same information you will find in any '101' book with an extra new age nougat filling to chew on. 

Ultimately it's the nougat that is the major issue with this book.  Many of the heavy hitters of that era are from california or spent a great deal of time there so this book reeks of the baby boomers too young to have gone to woodstock but not to have absorbed the self importance and new age fuckery.  Whole chapters dedicated to "this is a nature religion maaaaan".  Which it is, sort of but not in the early 90's captain planet environmentalism way.  Some urban PHD talking poo poo about the forestry industry orings hollow when his income relies on selling Llewellyn books to publish. 

When reading this book it's important to keep the new age in mind and also the Wicca.  Much of the published early rituals used by heathens in the 80's and 90's were just renamed wiccan rituals.  The so called hammer rite is just a renamed calling of the quarters.  Everything must come from something but the book suffers from these
inheritances due to there being a big focus on doing magic or magic adjacent ritual.  I have a hard time telling if that's from the organizational culture at the time or just a reflection of Gundarssons flavour of heathenry.  In other resources written by him that I will cover at a later date these themes continue.  I can say that currently the most vocal members of the organization are mostly what I affectionately refer to as wizards.  They believe in magic and do rituals to make things happen.  There was even a recent scandal/drama bomb betwix a number of the big swinging dicks over "witch wars".  Likely it is the culture.  I'd be curious to find out if the magical beliefs carry over onto the volkish side.

As with anything Heathen it's a mixed bag.  The book came at the right time in my life however even at the time I found parts questionable.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
Rumours are that it's being updated/resigned in order to expand the... coverage? It was felt that it was too AFA specific.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Internet Wizard posted:

What do y’all think of thelongship.net as an introduction to practice?

I remember this website. I came across it after I finished the first Our Troth back in 2018. I went back to see how it had changed and it hadn't. It looks like it was the project of a discord community. The lack of updates tells me that either the community fractured as they do, or the characteristic flakiness kicked in and they got bored with it and failed to follow through.

As far as a resource goes it isn't bad. The focus on a hearth cult is different. The ritual format seems off to me. I want to say it is ADF inspired but I don't actually know. Not sure if there is a gatekeeper deity. If there is it's either Thor or Heimdall. Thor is the Hallower and Heimdall is busy. Neither of them open up a line of communication. The basic ritual steps are : gather, make sacred, address, offer, close. The specifics are largely up to the practitioner. Mine tend to be super informal unless it is a major holiday then I might go semi formal. The big takeaway from that section is do what works for you.

The reading list is a bit odd. I got a semi when I saw Marcel Mauss there but it immediately deflated when I saw that they listed it as intermediate and the eddas as advanced.

The heathens in profile is definitely a good resource as it gives you an idea of the various flavours of weirdos you'll meet in the community. They are missing a few of the archetypical heathens but those become known quickly.

It's a good start IMO.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
The Gift is an anthropological look at the nature of reciprocity through the ethnographic studies of West Coast practices of potlatch. He then expands it out to humanity in general. When dealing with humanity there are very very few true universals but gift exchange is one of them.

Should you care? Hard to say. It doesn't add much of anything to the practices. I was surprised to see it listed as a reading to read before the eddas since the eddas are sort of the beginning of everything for most and an academic study of "every gift demands a gift", which is something most everyone understands at a gut level, isnt.

I like it. It's considered one of the great anthropolology books for a reason and it's a short read but it is irrelevant to the religion IMO.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

abske_fides posted:

Any good sources in either Danish or Norwegian about modern heathenry? So much stuff in English I see is really quite ugh.... colourful to put it that way.

And thanks for the thread this is something I've been curious about for a very long time.

A good rule of thumb for the source material in English is that if the author's name sounds grandiose or ridiculous there is likely a great deal of new age fuckery within. Or golden dawn. If their name has a part in quotes they are still a wizard but it's going to be slightly less agregious.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
You aren't wrong. At the museum I worked at there was a yearly event called highland gathering. Basically a bunch of people who had a Scotsman as an ancestor put on their prettiest dress grab their bagpipes and all 700 of them play Scotland the brave together. The one year the guest of honor was a real Scottish person and I almost died laughing.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thor is good. Tyr is also good but doesn't smile. Picture him looking into Odin's eyes unblinking while the wolf bites his hand off.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tias posted:

Just today a facebooker asked if anyone else worshipped gods from other pantheons, citing her deities apart from the norse ones as "Chaos and Grimoires".

I lack the context to understand what the reference is here but a pet peeve of mine is it seems a not insignificant number of pagans treat deities like pokeymans and just accumulate and trade them between pantheons or if that doesn't work well enough make them up.

Sitting and thinking about it I think it is the infidelity and frivolousness of the first part that irritate me. They people who gotta catch em all just seem to treat it like a game.

It has zero effect on me beyond eye strain but it's a thing. Probably due to the lack of deep roots and connection to the land for most Anglo North Americans.

I won't even start on the invention of deities...

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
They were very likely pragmatic about such things but there is a difference between syncretism with your neighbors and making a personal stable of mismatched gods you found on the internet. The Finnish life is not that far removed from the Danish. It is however very different than the Egyptian or even the Mediterranean.
It just feels frivolous and unauthentic to me but it affects me not in the slightest if someone wants to treat the gods and goddesses like shirts at a shopping trip to Walmart. Clearly it is working for them at some level and I am not any sort of authority or asapope or whatever, just an irritable rear end in a top hat.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm currently wading through Grimm's Teutonic Mythology and he seems to think that some folk had a fairly personal relationship. He has pages talking about a family named Freyrsgothi or freyrlings. There is the story in Eyrbyggja of one of the Thorsmen tossing the godpole over the side of the ship and following it to find a new place to live. The sagas (naturally) speak about heroes interactions with Odin that all end in a predictable fashion.

Beyond that like Allhazred said there isn't much known.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Epicurius posted:

Do we know what the daily rituals were that a family would perform?

Thryms lay might have an accurate wedding. The volsung saga has a morning prayer that people debate whether it is real or not. A prayer to Sunna

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
My garden is planted, and I am awaiting parts and materials to continue the various projects hounding me so I will crank out the next literature review. As per my original post I'm doing these chronologically as I read them as a reflection on my journey and because I don't care to organize them in any orderly fashion.

One of the deficiencies I find in the popular practice of heathenry is that the focus is either on original sources (recon) or being a wizard. Recon is important because that is the surest way of knowing the god(esse)s as they were and what they represent. I definitely find myself leaning hard in that direction. The problem is that the lore is a thousand years old and much was lost when the church did their best to stamp it out. We are not the same culture as the norse were. I personally don't feel a compulsion to slay my neighbor for a haystack. I've never slit the throats of my captives over a cauldron to divine the future. (sadly)Wizards are also important because from them we can develop new practices that work. The problem with this approach is that many folk can't hear the gods even if they can feel the calling and many of the wizards have accumulated a new age stank which can be off-putting. Not everyone wants to play dress up and cast spells. If the religion is fated to grow we will need a grounded mythology that (relatively) normal people can grok that isn't millennia old. The next book I read is a collection of short stories titled "They Walk With Us" written by John T. Mainer. I believe this is his aim.

Mainer served in the Canadian army and as far as I remember saw action in the Yugoslavian civil war in the 90's. Sometime in the last decade as a sworn Odinsman he lost one eye and broke his neck. Motherfucker is legit. As a soldier he is definitely used to seeing things from the bottom up which is a perspective that is sorely lacking in the circles we inhabit here in North America. This perspective permeates many of the stories he presents and I appreciate it. In short, I like it. Reading it puts me into the frame of mind of standing on a hilltop in the blowing sleet staring grimly at the future. We need more modern mythmakers so that with a large enough body of work we can see what survives and what doesn't as lore and begin to organically replace what was lost.

I'd say buy it. It's a short read. To get an idea of his writing his blog can be found here.

Next on the block is the second edition Our Troth.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tias posted:

Came to post that, as well as this: https://www.norsemyth.org/2020/09/i...xlCM40ZS8MXD3DI which is also making the rounds in heathen circles.

While some academics are rightfully calling out some of Siegfried's sources as sus, and the dig at the Troth is in extremely poor form as I see it, there are also some very good points.

Reconstructed heathenry has definitely adopted a view of some gods and actions as representing safety, order and civilization, and other gods and actions as representative of the the untamed forces of nature, creation and 'chaos' - and to claim otherwise is not really in keeping with the worldview and feelings of a majority of recon heathens today. Representatives of the 'order' faction are the aesir, particularly Thor and Tyr, and the cycle of gift-giving actions and honoring the gods and spirits - representatives of the 'untamed/chaos' faction would first and foremost be the Jotunn, though I would argue that all trolls, spirits and all of the Vanir belong here, even if the latter like Frej, Njord and Freja get a free pass because marriages and the heroic saga narratives make them honorary aesir.

Anyway, the article is neat, and if one is interested in what part of our mythology and theology is commonly twisted and misunderstood by nazis and brosatru, look no further.

I was pretty sure I'd seen that before and I had. It's a repost of an article he posted on the Wild Hunt back in January. The whole inner yard/outer yard thing always felt like a shibboleth to differentiate themselves from the wiccans that they had splintered off from in the 80's/90's.

The fellow has beef with the Troth. Gods know I do and I'm a fan and member of them. Not sure if he's the guy that thinks that the group isn't inclusive enough because they aren't actively proselytizing to POC or someone else. He pissed off all the lokeans by comparing him to T-rump back in 2018. Largely doesn't matter to this though.

He's not wrong about the concept being not rooted in lore. Or at least thus far in my readings it is not and others whom have read more than me and I trust also haven't. Ultimately the concept of inner/outer yard is just dunbars number wearing a horned helmet. I also think clifford geertz did a bit on tribalism. I'd have to go rifle through my books though (Just checked and I couldn't find it but I didn't look very hard). Humans are inherently tribal and the tribalism is fairly fluid. This just gives it a name. Even being inclusive you are still declaring a tribe and excluding those who disagree.

That being said, this quote also pisses me off

Some Guy Angry Posting at Nazis, Real or Imagined posted:

The counter-question I would ask is, “what in Grønbech appealed so powerfully to Nazi officers and ideologues?” As a follow-up, I would ask, “what are the implications of American Heathens being attracted to the same twentieth-century text that so captivated the leaders of the Third Reich?”

This is a bad take because by this logic we need to throw out all the lore. My gothi often points out in literature discussions that until recently "all anyone had were three books." The old timers on this side of the pond, who I often complain about were working with the best they had at the time. We are at a good time right now because the amount of literature is exploding. I remember reading something at the beginning of the year that some never before found and translated batch of old lore was currently being translated and due to be out soon. Of course I'm a bad heathen and I can't remember what it was and when it was supposed to be out. I think it was being put into norwegian first.

Also his claims about american heathens using it

Some Guy Angry Posting at Nazis, Real or Imagined posted:

describing people outside their insular Heathen community as subhuman denizens of the utangard"
is a really loving big brush to be painting with when you live in illinois. But of course his inner group are the good heathens and everyone outside his circle isn't. :thejoke:

Anyway, I haven't been on this forum or any social media since the happenings so it's good to see this still going and to read a thing and post angrily on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Internet Wizard posted:

He's not saying the lore is problematic, he's saying the ahistorical false portrayal that Grønbech espoused specifically appealed to the Third Reich, and that it's problematic that that ahistorical and unsupported portrayal also appeals to modern American (folkish) Heathens. The extant historic lore actually runs counter to that interpretation, but does not have the same appeal to the more negative parts of the community.

I'd also disagree with your portrayal of him saying his in-group is good and those outside it are bad, because it's exactly that mindset he's speaking out against in this article.

The simple fact that they have to use language that didn't exist at the time to describe a concept is pretty conclusive that the concept also did not exist at the time.

I had a whole thing typed out but I'm pretty unplugged these days and I will likely continue to be. There were about three points in the piece that I could find and only one of them was the unhistorical origin of inner yard/outer yard . And the style was him talking down from a place of moral superiority. But again, I am pretty unplugged now so I just came in without context and maybe that's normal discourse and I never noticed before.

Ultimately we can disagree because my personal practice doesn't impact yours and neither of us like the folkish elements. Hit me up on the discord if you want. I'll be around there periodically.