Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Elukka posted:

I'm reminded of the Norwegian rune poem (basically an ABC song, the point of these was just to remember the runes) talking about Tyr, Loki and Jesus all at once.

You'll hear stuff like that in Anglo Saxon poetry and surviving writings as well. Christianization was a gradual process in Northern Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

poo poo, just look at some of the christian as gently caress high holy days. Easter has some very deep pre-christian roots. A 5th century Roman christian would look at the poo poo Catholics today do and comment on how a lot of the traditions were synchretic as all gently caress.

The timing of Christmas has more to do with it supplanting Saturnalia than its reflection of when Jesus was born. Lamb season is in the spring, not in December so in all likelihood Christ was born sometime around Easter.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

PharmerBoy posted:

Looks helpful, good to get feedback on sources. I'm slammed at work right now (healthcare, we're over capacity), so it'll be a few days before I can really dig in.

On the evaluation side though, how about a more disturbing issue: identifying nazis. Specifically, came across this person in a group I was looking through. No posts by this person, only their profile pic to go on, but drat if I don't get nazi vibes off it.

As far as an insider's perspective, same evaluation? Anything to look for to differentiate appropriated use vs. decent folk?

One of dude's friends has "WHITE PRIDE WORLD WIDE" as his profile picture. If he's not a nazi, he's definitely comfortable with them.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Since we are talking about Krampus...

https://mainer74.wordpress.com/