Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

All I know in life is how to pour whiskey and run my mouth off
Dinosaur Gum

Tias posted:

Yeah, Scandinavia is, uh, polarised :D

Case in point, a whole new runic alphabet was discovered in the recent past because it was used by a bunch of Swedes so isolated no one even bothered to talk to them to find out about their language use.

This was way back in the thread, but I actually grew up like 20 minutes from this place and I’ve met the oldies who still spoke that dialect. It’s pretty loving fantastic, it feels completely disconnected from Swedish.
I’m from a small town nearby that also have a old timey kind of dialect called ”Orsa-mål” (Orsa is the small town and mål means a kind of dialect) that I kind of understand even tho I can’t speak it. Älvdals-mål (the dialekt from the article) is just another language!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

All I know in life is how to pour whiskey and run my mouth off
Dinosaur Gum

Bilirubin posted:

That's amazing.

Has their folklore been documented?

I’m far from knowledgeable, I just grew up close! But as far as I understand, the culture and lore wasn’t really that different from the rest of Sweden, just that their language never really evolved in the same way as the rest of the country due to isolation.
Googling a bit there’s actually a wiki in English about the language which gave me some insight that I never had

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfdalian

Never really understood the impact of this on historical research, especially languages until now. They were just our weird neighbors that had elders that talked funny.