Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

It was a few days after I saw the video Cooking Hot Dogs and Peaches in our huge youtube threads almost 11 years ago when first Masaokis thread was created: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090476

A small but highly dedicated group of followers here and elsewhere kept up with this incredible unique way of going about one's business and filming it online until it suddenly all went away. I estimate about 70-80% of the videos were recovered and reuploaded https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=parthenocarpySA with nothing really significant missing out of the original collection. The archive channel itself just turned ten years old with a video reflecting that, which you can find yourself.

What I want to know, is what are your best memories of Masaokis? It has been a long time since we had a thread about this topic and I'm collecting information for a new Q&A video.

Thanks as always for helping to perpetuate this incredible story!

If you are clueless about this:

Masaokis is a Canadian lawyer legendary for filming over one hundred cooking videos in dilapidated conditions leading to fires, vomiting, trash hoarding (shoveling level, so, like, 4-10), culinary disasters, and valuable life lessons for us viewers. It is hard to walk away without learning something from these videos and they were a big hit among some of us starting back in 2009 GBS.

Most popular videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdnQ0nO3AcY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w46Dwh4TMGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNJMQz2ggK8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Never heard of the guy but these videos are disturbing and hilarious.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I also feel like the guy in the video has definitely done some hard time to learn these post apocalypse cooking techniques.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

The_Continental posted:

Never heard of the guy but these videos are disturbing and hilarious.

I was hoping for this to happen as well! The channel is actually now more popular than ever and getting all sorts of new viewers. Ask anything you want to know about. As far as we know, Masao never did anything illegal warranting jail time.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I get it as a bit of an oddity but its actually tough for me to watch much of it because of the poo poo quality and shaky phone camera. Also, I've lived in abject squalor before so 3/5 "heh" from me.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I totally believed this was a sincere attempt at demonstrating cooking until he started a fire in one of his videos. Everyone with hoarder-like tendencies has had a fire scare and realizes a single fire will spread in a flash, and thus they always have a single clean spot around any source of flame, and any stove burner is either cleaned off or surrounded by things that will not catch fire. I know this from far too much experience.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I get it as a bit of an oddity but its actually tough for me to watch much of it because of the poo poo quality and shaky phone camera. Also, I've lived in abject squalor before so 3/5 "heh" from me.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Looks like he's still alive and posted some new videos in the last few months. The making creamy mushroom soup one is up to the old standard:

https://www.youtube.com/user/masaoHF

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

When you have a guy demonstrating how to cook a steak in a toilet with burning paper towels, there's not way he could be serious... but somehow he is? Anyway this guy is worthy of goon celebration because he's gone to the effort of giving us entertainment, unlike that other idiot Uililililila or whatever the gently caress his name is

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

one thing I've really admired over the years is your dedication to documenting masao, parthenocarpy

rewatched a few classics recently, glad masao is doing better these days :unsmith:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Another unfortunate for Gbs to stalk. Hilarious.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'll never forget the first time I saw a man defrost a dubious piece of red meat on a filthy toilet seat

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Pewdiepie posted:

gently caress off

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Pewdiepie posted:

says the man with the internet man's name

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Trying to turn tuna into turkey with a hairdryer is one of the greatest things I've ever seen and I'm pleased to see that he seems to be in better health these days.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Egg whites.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

welp guess im going to spend valentines day binge watching cooking horror. Thanks OP

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
when he has trouble opening a coconut and just pulls out a katana from the mountain of dishes like it's not strange at all

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Favourite video: the one where you can hear him speaking really muffled and you wonder what’s going on, then he turns the camera round and he’s wearing a full gas mask

Theres one I don’t think got saved where he was in the bathroom (or bedroom?) with lights off talking about how he imagines he’s on a spaceship. I like the ones where he just plays with some incredibly dirty toy or a noodle packet and rambles about crap. Was the stuff about him being rich true? He did seem to have three houses at least and he seems more normal now

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
He's cooking over burning paper draped over a filthy toilet. wat

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Favourite video: the one where you can hear him speaking really muffled and you wonder what’s going on, then he turns the camera round and he’s wearing a full gas mask

Theres one I don’t think got saved where he was in the bathroom (or bedroom?) with lights off talking about how he imagines he’s on a spaceship. I like the ones where he just plays with some incredibly dirty toy or a noodle packet and rambles about crap. Was the stuff about him being rich true? He did seem to have three houses at least and he seems more normal now

Gas mask video is him cleaning. "Do as i say not as i do".
The spaceship one is on Youtube but i don't remember the name

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ive always been convinced this was about 50% performance art

i make lovely little masaokis-inspired 'cooking' videos for my internet friends all the time and they look exactly the same

still very fun, thank you blessed masaokis

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Pewdiepie posted:

How is watching someone’s YouTube videos stalking?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

my fav is the sambuca adventure

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Pewdiepie posted:

Masaokis was never stalked and he willfully interacted with viewers often at length on message boards re: his videos. I can't honestly think of one negative thing that happened to the guy because of his popularity. He's 100% okay with the archive channel existing.

If you really need the value of humans learning from other humans explained to you then I guess you can find a great author somewhere (not an unfortunate, but an admirable) to suit your requirements

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
always loved when he makes that "gibby gibby gibby" noise, or when holds the camera in his mouth and starts gagging

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

von Braun posted:

Gas mask video is him cleaning. "Do as i say not as i do".
The spaceship one is on Youtube but i don't remember the name

Hmm there is the video called “Deep Space Exploration” which matches my description, but there was another one I can’t find anymore. It started with a clip of nothing, as if the camera was accidentally on, with someone (not masao, tv maybe) speaking in the background. That’s the only thing I really remember about it, maybe the content was different and I’ve mixed it up with Deep Space Exploration since I saw it

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

yikes! posted:

He named himself after his favorite youtube personality to stalk; obviously his viewpoint on this is skewed.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Hmm there is the video called “Deep Space Exploration” which matches my description, but there was another one I can’t find anymore. It started with a clip of nothing, as if the camera was accidentally on, with someone (not masao, tv maybe) speaking in the background. That’s the only thing I really remember about it, maybe the content was different and I’ve mixed it up with Deep Space Exploration since I saw it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAyevvzgQ54

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
sambucaaaa

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

wait a minute

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Anyone remember the anorexic guy with horrible teeth documenting his morning of cigarettes and beer? Had that video in the back of my mind recently

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

GolfHole posted:

ive always been convinced this was about 50% performance art

i make lovely little masaokis-inspired 'cooking' videos for my internet friends all the time and they look exactly the same

still very fun, thank you blessed masaokis

I am likewise convinced that he is a genuine performance artist with a sprinkling of mental illness that he has apparently leaned into through his art.

A few weeks ago, I showed that Paris Hilton cooking video to my girlfriend and then went on a slightly unhinged rant about how Hilton's feigned stupidity is sort of funny but not even in the same category of Masaokis, who might be a genius. (Then I had to explain who he is because she's a normal person)

He forces you to confront a wild, lurid vision of modern existence - - the gas-masked narrator with a weirdly unplaceable accent trying to establish human connection to his virtual audience by cobbling together bizzare, unnatural sustenance from scraps in a frantic madhouse of rotting garbage. I don't know how much is real or fake or improvised or intentional, but that's the point.

No matter what you think of it, it's a raw glimpse into a different world that you get to participate in through watching it. It is art.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Might be it but I thought it was longer. Either way I really like those bits where he’s just imagining stuff or where he talks about the oven being a time machine and gets wound up about why don’t all things melt. It’s like a flashback to when you were a kid and the internet wasn’t around so you had nothing better to do than ponder stupid questions and experiment with mixing things together in the kitchen cause maybe not all food has been discovered yet.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

yikes! posted:

that guy is an idiot and a troll, don't worry about it

haven't watched masaokis for a long time, and even then I think I've maybe just seen one of the most popular videos. guess it's time to broaden my knowledge

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Where s the one where he puts the fire outside in the snow, but first he turns off the tv.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Where s the one where he puts the fire outside in the snow, but first he turns off the tv.

Omelet for Obama. its in the second part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OERZ8Pqs9iU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Eg9ArFqxAk

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

"Cooking the sausage" involves holding a Bic lighter under a hotdog

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
didn't he pick up dog poo poo outside with his bare hands once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
The one I'd always show people was the coconut bread episode. He cuts a rotten coconut in half with a rusty katana and puts on a slice of white bread.