Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So for those confused by the timeline, here is a very, very well made video which is a bit less batshit crazy than this thread but has most of the same information.

It covers the chronology of Red Alert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmP__MTS8PQ

He also has a video following Kane throughout all the timelines and games, worth a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNLa9Fv7Dik

So you can sum up this thread in these two videos, but with much less comedy and pictures of actors in cheesy roles.

Also has a video on Tiberium (the substance) and the circumstances of the Tiberian related games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0pi-kyT_r8

devmd01 posted:

A Path Beyond, yep. I was literally the “ideas guy” for that mod and started it, then basically stopped giving a poo poo once I went to college. Good lord there was some stupid drama with the team.

It’s me, I’m the lovely teenage webmaster of cncrenegade.info
sup Dante.

the drama continued for over a decade, now it is run by people who stole a forum database and ripped it and implemented it on their own server/website to kick out the old leadership., but seems to somewhat exist. Most of the 'good times' updates were under the leadership of Chronojam, the poster above me.

A whole load of goons worked on the project during the 'good years' and many of them are in this thread. whatup.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Oh poo poo. Hey Lefty.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Red Alert was originally going to be a WWII game, unrelated to C&C. But then they found they had millions of fans in Germany and it would be censored so they quickly pivoted to an alternate reality WWII without nazis and a cold war turned hot scenario then went balls deep in military conspiracies and rumoured secret weapons etc and threw in time travel as the excuse.

Westwood was based in Las Vegas, they would have been all over the Area 51 conspiracies and some of the local devs probably remembered nuclear testing as kids.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 13, 2020

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
DJlaptop made those.

I think he still hangs around the n00bstories irc.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean really, thinking about it C&C is basically almost Warcraft levels of 'We couldn't get the license so we changed the bare minimum' but with GI Joe instead of Warhammer. Not that that's a bad thing either way, really, but it's hard to unsee. Well, with the obvious Dune II influences on gameplay.

Of course, it's a general aesthetic that lends itself to a flavourful RTS, with instantly recognisable and distinct units being a necessity for gameplay and giving them hammy and memorable personalities is just a natural extension of that. And it's one genre where FMV cutscenes are actually fitting, since the gameplay layer is so abstracted.

Almost, they made Dune 2 and then wanted to do their own thing so they got more money, not having to pay license fees. C&C was going to be about wizards and stuff, like a lot of the previous westwood adventure games, but they figured military worked better like it did in dune.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Surf no Mercy was a surfrock/misirlou-inspired rendition of the song No Mercy, which is a C&C song not an RA1 song.

It played after you beat the giant ant missions in RA1 as a bonus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WideTH9XxSs

I'm not sure why it was tacked on to Smash in that video posted above. Someone probably ripped a soundtrack cd years ago and the two tracks were recorded at once?

A huge number of tracks never made it onto the physical soundtrack releases. One thing the new remaster will be pretty cool, having a 6 cd soundtrack in the collectors edition and all the songs that made it into the games available in the in-game jukebox, even some unreleased tracks.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Tombstone is probably the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Posting this here, despite it being C&C 1 advertising material.

I think it is fitting to post it during the Generals play through, given that game is pretty on the nose with many topics and depictions.

These ads scream 1990s videogame, like duke nukem or doom ads, or even videocard ads.

And a reminder, the C&C and RA1 remasters come out on steam (and origin) next weekend, head over here for more information: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919118