Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is this the best source for the games? https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/command-and-conquer/command-and-conquer-the-ultimate-collection

I had RA as a kid and although it ran like poo poo on our 486, I loved it. Would like to try RA2 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, that's a full collection with TibSun, RA2, etc.

OpenRA I believe is also an option for C&C & Red Alert if you can't wait for the remaster. I think you might not get cutscenes and some stuff if you don't have a CD/original game files around though.

OpenRA just didn't feel right when I tried it... I don't know if they implemented different AI or something, but it seemed off.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

owlhawk911 posted:

this is why i only have the yuri's revenge disc now

Just looked at my Red Alert case, I've only got the Soviet disc.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

I have both but haven't had a CD drive in like 5+ years?

For some reason I do still have a CD drive, so I'll probably try installing tonight and playing the Soviet campaign. Do I remember correctly that the Windows version looked better than DOS? DOSBox is the easy option, of course, but I could probably track down a Windows 95 VM image somehow too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

splifyphus posted:

This hilarious thread made me discover that practically everything Frank Klepacki has ever done is up on spotify.

e: Also I haven't finished the thread yet but there is a community update of RA1 that runs at modern resolutions on modern OSes and it's wonderful. Requires access to the original game assets and whatnot.

I've tried OpenRA before, but it felt like the AI was "off" from what I remembered. Then I found https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/1165-how-to-install-red-alert-1-on-windows-xp-vista-7-8-10-linux-mac-32-64bit/ which just patches the original game to work on modern Windows systems. I installed it a couple weeks back and played through a bunch of the Soviet missions. It's pretty good, although kind of hilarious when you run at native resolution: the radar dome becomes almost pointless because you can see the whole map on-screen, but on the other hand it can be really difficult to pick out a particular unit from a blob.

I also learned that I'm not particularly good at Red Alert. Even on easy difficulty, it feels like I'm always just barely hanging in there, fending off constant waves of light tanks and rocket troopers, who are a lot more useful than I remembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Red Alert & Tiberian Dawn source code will be released under a GPL license alongside the remastered games: https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/gnevp8/remaster_update_and_open_source_mod_support/fr97x9x/