Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

LadyPictureShow posted:

How well did Joes hold up against firecrackers?

My cousins and I tried lighting up a Ghostbuster figure with fireworks one 4th of July , and he was resiliant. That all changed when one of their friends showed up with a road flare.

Not great when you jam it into their rubber banded belly area. Just putting it under them didnt do much. It's all about blowing them in half at the hips, then putting the firecracker in their hollow torso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Literally A Person posted:

Nickelodeon toy commercials

Man bonkers are good af, too bad they don’t got that poo poo anymore. :munch:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Not great when you jam it into their rubber banded belly area. Just putting it under them didnt do much. It's all about blowing them in half at the hips, then putting the firecracker in their hollow torso.

I was just going to post pretty much exactly this.

:patriot: To the Snake Eyes the dog ate most of the leg of.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

stealie72 posted:

I could never be so heartless to the brothers in arms that accompanied me on uncountable battlefields.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I had a red and tan camo guy who I can't remember for crap but I seem to remember him being a good "all around" figure that could fill in for "generic action guy".
I never wanted the higher up named dudes like cobra commander and stuff because those were too layed out in terms of who they were. Give me "No name helicopter pilot" that I could imagine being good or bad, that's like way easier to imagine up whatever you want for later. It's gonna bother me that I can't remember who/what the red/tan camo dude was tho, he may actually have been a chopper pilot or a rock climber or something idk.

e: no it wasn't Duke, even though looking him up he apparently was red and tan camo in the 90s, odd. I don't think I ever had one of him.

ee: Found it. Rock Viper. Hell yeah, check out that stache. Who wants to ride THIS snake, LADIES

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 16, 2020

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

a kitten posted:

:patriot: To the Snake Eyes the dog ate most of the leg of.

If only cameras were ubiquitous in the 80s, I would have a picture of a piece of gi joe arm sticking out of a log of dog poo poo in my back yard. My stupid dog loved eating plastic.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

stealie72 posted:

If only cameras were ubiquitous in the 80s, I would have a picture of a piece of gi joe arm sticking out of a log of dog poo poo in my back yard. My stupid dog loved eating plastic.

Years back I worked on a large diorama for a museum here in nyc. The poop expert was also a big nerd so when he was making replica elephant shits he put the head of Dr Zaius from planet of the apes in there staring up at you. I guess if you look carefully you can still find it.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Midjack posted:

I could never be so heartless to the brothers in arms that accompanied me on uncountable battlefields.

You don't have what it takes to have a career with the DOD

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Why is this fine piece of modern art in this thread?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Snowy posted:

Years back I worked on a large diorama for a museum here in nyc. The poop expert was also a big nerd so when he was making replica elephant shits he put the head of Dr Zaius from planet of the apes in there staring up at you. I guess if you look carefully you can still find it.

"So what do you do?"
"I make fake poops. For dioramas, not for pranks. But sometimes I put pranks in the non-prank fake poops."

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

f

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

I used to do the opposite and freeze some of my Joes in a big block of ice. In my head it seemed like something Cobra Commander would do, since he's evil and all. And I'd send in this guy to help free the other. (He was probably my favorite Joe, that snowboard was loving awesome.)

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I remember shooting my GI-joes with my dad as a kid way too young to be operating a firearm. Good times.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Fratricide is never a fun time.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Motherfucker posted:

I remember shooting my GI-joes with my dad as a kid way too young to be operating a firearm. Good times.

Did your dad have a raspy high-pitched voice and did you never see him without a silvery facemask on by any chance?

"EAT YOUR DINNAH"

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 21, 2020

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I used to bury mine in the garden, they was a retard next door that could levitate.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so over on 4chan's /toy/ board someone made a thread asking for help identifying a weird little figure they had from their childhood;

that turned out to be a figure from an unusual obscure toyline that basically feels like a halfway point between a regular GI Joe figure and a Battle Beast figure(the military theming of the former, the size and articulation of the latter), the line is appropriately called the Military Muscle Men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NSyt2GeUgg

for a shortlived line it actually had a decent amount of product;

that big cool remote control tank from the commercials might not have actually made it to retail though(which honestly wouldn't be all that surprising, cause that seemed not only really complex and expensive compared to the rest of the line, it also definitely seemed like it would be one of those toys likely to injure some dumb kids and cause even dumber lawsuits to happen), also this is a hard toyline to find any real info on, which is funny cause the company that made them(The Original San Francisco Toymakers) aren't all that obscure in comparison(they held the WCW & ECW licences back in the mid to late 90's)

also they probably were at least partially knockoffs of a similar toyline called Men of Medal;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdhZ5_Lk-lQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6FQxqmiGVU

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 21, 2020

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Seeing toys like that and seeing the interviews of the people that owned companies like that on the Toys That Made Us series, I'm pretty sure some of these places were money laundering fronts.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Huh? What? You want someone to spend an hour talking about the old GI Joe 80s comics? OK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aOujG3WDQs

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Holy poo poo I totally forgot about the Men of Medal. I had a diver with a yellow helmet blue suit red boots he came with grey flippers and a spear gun. After watching the video that was posted I now know that his name was Gary "The Shark" Shaar. RIP you tiny brave son of a bitch. I'm pretty sure you got sucked down the bathtub drain.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Big Beef City posted:

I don't get action figure stuff or whatever but lol holy poo poo this pic

ahaha what the poo poo. Is that garlic on the ground in front of him?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Lol looks like a pork bun

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Red Rox posted:

ahaha what the poo poo. Is that garlic on the ground in front of him?

It's his testicles.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Holy poo poo I totally forgot about the Men of Medal. I had a diver with a yellow helmet blue suit red boots he came with grey flippers and a spear gun. After watching the video that was posted I now know that his name was Gary "The Shark" Shaar. RIP you tiny brave son of a bitch. I'm pretty sure you got sucked down the bathtub drain.

Delta pee :(

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Xaintrailles posted:

It's his testicles.

This is why you don't give a sword to blind people

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is why you don't give a sword to blind people

You just don't want to have to deal with Zatoichi.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Xaintrailles posted:

It's his testicles.

:magical: looks like at least four of them

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

Red Rox posted:

The mysteries...

Of the Orient!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Red Rox posted:

So divine!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Captain Rufus posted:

Yours is just a variant of the mech in this image.

https://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-stuff-techmacrossrelated-stuff.html I have all the dork rear end info about Battletech and Robotech and Macross in this series. Plus evidence of why I shall die alone and unloved.

Speaking of LPs I always wanted to do something cool with my 2 Dougram boardgames. https://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-dougram-boardgames-part-1.html

https://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-dougram-boardgames-part-2.html

I only was able to demo them once and one guy was being a complete douche about it "Because nobody has ever heard of these games so they suck". (I dropped out of his lame rear end Fasa Star Trek rpg because he was being such a chode during a game pair I spent a good decade hunting down.)

Oh yeah. The Cyclone toys. Relatively sturdy for Japanese collector toys. Bike mode is about 6 inches wheel end to wheel end, the rider about 5 1/2.

Vvvv it got a US release too? I know there were English language made games in the 90s but if the Votoms one got a release I'm gonna have to look for it and never own because I can only guess how much it would cost. Vvvvvv

We can die alone together. It was a fascinating essay.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kharnifex posted:

Lol looks like a pork bun

A man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Sunswipe posted:

A man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man.

But enough about your mother

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh my god I had so many GI Joes. I don't even remember them being that big a part of my childhood and probably only played from like 8-10 but I had 90% of the ones posted in this thread.

This is the first one I remember getting and for some reason I thought it came with this boat but apparently they were sold separately.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So, uh... no mention of why he's got a fish. Or even that he's got a fish.

Maybe he's always followed by a fish and no one likes to mention it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Sunswipe posted:

I'm sure there's a backstory but it's probably not worth mentioning. The backstory behind why I know all of my friends is either "met at work/school" or "met through mutual friends".

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sunswipe posted:

Oh yeah, Undertow? That's that guy who married a fish.

Sometimes Cobra is a little too tolerant, you know.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Was gonna do a quick "wonder where the fish snaps on" joke but since it's a barracuda anywhere it wants, I guess.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cobra Trooper 1: Did you hear Troy McLure joined Cobra Command?

Cobra Trooper 2: Yeah I hear he’s a fishman.

Cobra Trooper 3: No, he got training as a frogman.

Cobra Trooper 2: Uh... well...how do I explain this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As silly as he is, that does sound like a legitimate niche for urban waterways, especially given that's likely where stuff you want to steal is.