Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

JethroMcB posted:

It seemed like there was an editorial mandate at Lucasfilm that, whenever Chewie wasn't around in the EU, the author was required to pair Han with some kind of animal alien sidekick. Crispin established that before meeting Chewbacca he worked with a Tigerman, and then pretty much immediately after Chewie's death he started running around with a Birdperson.

Han_Punching_Giant_Weasel.jpg

Dang, here's the actual image to make up for that terrible snipe.

Voting Floater fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hell when Han was written out by The Empire Strikes Back, Shadows of the Empire just went "that's OK, we'll bring in Not-Han"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The Star Wars comics are so bad that for a long time the Lucasfilm adjudication in order to preserve some semblance of sense was "all the comics are bullshit unless they are confirmed in a movie or something"

This isn't true at all; you're mixing up a few different things.

Marvel Star Wars was the original comic. It was an ongoing monthly comic that started with official comic adaptations of the films, then continued on as its own thing. It was weird, and very 80s, and sometimes bad, but it also inspired a ton of things that would become EU staples. A few parts of this comic were demoted to non-canon because they conflicted with later stories (and this comic was out of print), but by and large it was canon. Marvel Star Wars ended in 1987.

Dark Horse comics picked up the Star Wars license and started publishing new Star Wars stories in 1991, beginning with Dark Empire. These were successful (if not always good), and ran until 2014, and notably kicked off the Old Republic continuity (of KOTOR fame) with Tales of the Jedi.

Dark Horse did run an on-again, off-again anthology of silly or strange stories called Star Wars Tales. The whole gimmick of that anthology - other than letting indie comix creators fool around with the Star Wars toybox - is that none of the stories had to be canon; they were only canon if another story referred to them. So Darth Vader fights Darth Maul, the Millennium Falcon crashes in Indiana Jones, there's Skippy the Jedi Droid, Jar-Jar's father is a tragic sea captain, whatever. Star Wars Tales is really uneven, but it wasn't meant to be canon from the very start, and it's only one of many Star Wars comics published by Dark Horse.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 21, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

Thus isn't true at all; you're mixing up a few different things.

Marvel Star Wars was the original comic. It was an ongoing monthly comic that started with official comic adaptations of the films, then continued on as its own thing. It was weird, and very 80s, and sometimes bad, but it also inspired a ton of things that would become EU staples. A few parts of this comic were demoted to non-canon because they conflicted with later stories (and this comic was out of print), but by and large it was canon. Marvel Star Wars ended in 1987.

Dark Horse comics picked up the Star Wars license and started publishing new Star Wars stories in 1991, beginning with Dark Empire. These were successful (if not always good), and ran until 2014, and notably kicked off the Old Republic continuity (of KOTOR fame) with Tales of the Jedi.

Dark Horse did run an on-again, off-again anthology of silly or strange stories called Star Wars Tales. The whole gimmick of that anthology - other than letting indie comix creators fool around with the Star Wars toybox - is that none of the stories had to be canon; they were only canon if another story referred to them. So Darth Vader fights Darth Maul, the Millennium Falcon crashes in Indiana Jones, there's Skippy the Jedi Droid, Jar-Jar's father is a tragic sea captain, whatever. Star Wars Tales is really uneven, but it wasn't meant to be canon from the very start, and it's only one of many Star Wars comics published by Dark Horse.

Yeah I'm thinking mainly of Star Wars Tales. I vaguely recall Tales being the origin of "Darth Maul survives by becoming a spiderperson" that got carried into the Clone Wars show, though.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

TheLoquid posted:

Does that one include the story where boba fett discusses why he won’t rape Leia in jabbas palace or am I thinking of some other god forsaken anthology

It's this one op, and it's a classic moment in literature. its where we learn that boba fett has a retractable straw in his helmet.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Hell when Han was written out by The Empire Strikes Back, Shadows of the Empire just went "that's OK, we'll bring in Not-Han"

whoa there.

he has a name!!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Is it Steve?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Introducing 90's Han, with Rob Liefield pouches!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't remember if the book was any good, but I remember getting a Star Wars book called Diversity Alliance as a kid, and even at 10 years old or whatever I knew that was a loving stupid name.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Up Circle posted:

It's this one op, and it's a classic moment in literature. its where we learn that boba fett has a retractable straw in his helmet.

It was absolutely Tales From Jabba’s Palace.

PUBLISH OR PERISH

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

C-Euro posted:

I don't remember if the book was any good, but I remember getting a Star Wars book called Diversity Alliance as a kid, and even at 10 years old or whatever I knew that was a loving stupid name.

It was one of the Young Jedi Knights books, as part of the second major story arc from that series. The Diversity Alliance were a group non-humans that presented themselves as alien rights activists, but were in reality a bunch of anti-human terrorists. They were led by the sister of that twi'lek dancing girl that Jabba the Hutt killed in Return of the Jedi. They were searching for an old Imperial weapons storage depot where the Emperor had stored a bunch of unused biological weapons, including a plague that would exclusively target and kill humans.

I remember thinking those books were okay when I was younger, but it's been years since I last read any of them.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

This is true beyond Star Wars too. 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back looked at the first book in the trilogy that served as the official sequel to Willow (until last month because lol Disney+), that was written based off George Lucas's outline for what he wanted to the story to explore in a second outting, and it begins with all the characters from the movie except for Willow and the two annoying fairies getting exploded out of existence, and then Willow changing his name for no reason, and spending the rest of the story surviving in an ashbound post-apocalyptic hellscape where he has to fight off mutated dogs and kick 12 year old boys' heads in in order to survive.

If by kick heads in you mean graphically snap his spine in half with his bare hands then yes. Or the part where someone is horribly eviscerated and then their circulatory and nervous systems are magically pulled out of their body and formed into a flesh whip. Willow!

Part of me hopes Mike and Connor do the other two books in the trilogy out of sheer horrified fascination but I also think that might kill literally them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I have a question about something in Star Wars books in general, as opposed to any specific books being bad.

Why do all Star Wars books feel the need to write droid designations out as full words instead of just trusting the reader to understand how to decipher and pronounce a simple combination of letters and numbers?

I don't need you to write "See-Threepio" or "Artoo-Deetoo" in order to know that you're referring to C-3PO or R2-D2! If anything, writing the names out fully just makes it harder to parse them! Seriously, who's loving idea was this?!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Those are their names. That droid names always sound like an alphanumeric combination is coincidental.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ItBreathes posted:

Those are their names. That droid names always sound like an alphanumeric combination is coincidental.

It's true, the latin alphabet doesn't exist in star wars.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

I have a question about something in Star Wars books in general, as opposed to any specific books being bad.

Why do all Star Wars books feel the need to write droid designations out as full words instead of just trusting the reader to understand how to decipher and pronounce a simple combination of letters and numbers?

I don't need you to write "See-Threepio" or "Artoo-Deetoo" in order to know that you're referring to C-3PO or R2-D2! If anything, writing the names out fully just makes it harder to parse them! Seriously, who's loving idea was this?!

if that is consistent across the line, its part of an editorial style guide

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Pulp authors being paid by the character, obviously.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

W.T. Fits posted:

It was like this going back to an old copy of the original Star Wars novelization I saw and I thought it was pretty darn weird. Only thing I can think of was Lucas wanted to make sure those were the droids' names regardless of what language you were using. If that's the case it had varying degrees of success - I've seen an old Spanish dub that referred to "ere-dos" but another one that used "Artoo"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

The new Marvel stuff from 2012 on fuckin rules

I liked how they gave a reasonable backstory to the one stormtrooper guy in charge of the Empire's elite squad (instead of just being evil.) Where he was born a slave on a planet where they had to constantly fight in gladiator matches but then the Empire showed up and put a stop to it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I french they randomly changed a lot of names. Yan Solo, Z6-P0, D2-R2, and a lot of other weird changes.

In A New Hope, Chewie is Chictabba and nicknamed Chico, but switches to Chewbacca and Chewie forever afterward. It's also the Millenium Condor for the film only.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The one that I read, Han and Leia went to visit a space carnival that Lando owned, and while they're walking through the carnival Han turns to Leia and asks, "Well how about it Leia, will ya marry me?" And then Lando marries them at the space carnival before something awful happens

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FunkyAl posted:

The one that I read, Han and Leia went to visit a space carnival that Lando owned, and while they're walking through the carnival Han turns to Leia and asks, "Well how about it Leia, will ya marry me?" And then Lando marries them at the space carnival before something awful happens

This all sounds about right

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Was that the same one where they built a droid body-double of Leia with laser eyes?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Grizzwold posted:

Was that the same one where they built a droid body-double of Leia with laser eyes?

Yes, the Glove of Darth Vader/Prince Ken series. Amazingly terrible books.

They include Zorba the greekHutt, Jabba's dad who is out for revenge.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Also the revelation that one of Darth Vader's gloves was made to be indestructible. No explanation or anything, just...Made to be indestructible. However, it's not all bad because it did give us the Moffrence, BIDDING YOU DARK GREETINGS from the Moffship.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Polaron posted:

the Moffrence, BIDDING YOU DARK GREETINGS from the Moffship.

Post excerpt.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Does anyone remember the Choose Your Own Adventure Books from the OT, where you are like Luke's friend and you get to die in horrible ways or betray the rebellion.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

I french they randomly changed a lot of names. Yan Solo, Z6-P0, D2-R2, and a lot of other weird changes.

In A New Hope, Chewie is Chictabba and nicknamed Chico, but switches to Chewbacca and Chewie forever afterward. It's also the Millenium Condor for the film only.

Chico and the Han

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

Does anyone remember the Choose Your Own Adventure Books from the OT, where you are like Luke's friend and you get to die in horrible ways or betray the rebellion.

This is again very on-brand for what actually happens in Star Wars and I kinda want to read these now.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Whichever book/s Xizor is in is the worst, because he sucks.

Also shoutout to goon podcast Expounded Universe, which has read and discussed a lot of this dreck.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Roach Warehouse posted:

Xizor was so cool! He was super buff but never worked out because he used electrical stimulation to build his muscles! Vader was afraid of him! His name had an X and a Z in it!

(I just looked it up and the only canonical mention of Xizor in the new continuity is being the namesake of "Xizor Salad" in the Galaxy's Edge cookbook.)

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

JethroMcB posted:

Xizor was so cool! He was super buff but never worked out because he used electrical stimulation to build his muscles! Vader was afraid of him! His name had an X and a Z in it!

Yet when confronted by Vader at the end, he just stood by and let Vader blow up his ship.

At least, that's what I thought for a long time. See, they printed a few excerpts of the comic in Nintendo Power, including the finale, and there was a small printing error.

Here's the page from the graphic novel, you can clearly see Vader says 'Two minutes'., whereas in the NP, the 'two' is partially scratched out. As a result, for years I thought the comic had said 40 minutes. So to me, Xizor was given a warning that he'd overreached, and then sat with his thumb up his butt for over half an hour, and then Vader blew up his ship. He didn't even try and flee. Needless to say, his reputation to me always seemed fake. And that was before people began raising the 'socially oblivious' point of his pheromone rape powers (by that I mean I suspect he was given them out of ignorance and not thinking/being capable of thinking the implications through instead of any sort of intention).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shadows of the Empire is full of characters that they are writing as hard as they can to be as cool as the established main eventer characters and it only makes it worse. Xizor is the most 90's character ever which is hard when you're up against Dash Rendar.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Xizor sucks but seems like he also intended to be taken that way. He thinks way too highly of himself and everyone else thinks he's an arrogant douche. also he winds up dying ignominiously like a chump so he couldnt continue to taint the EU.

SOTE is pulpy as hell and features some bizarre writing choices but it's generally fun.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Roach Warehouse posted:

Also shoutout to goon podcast Expounded Universe, which has read and discussed a lot of this dreck.

whaaaaat have you read literally every other EU book? the book with Xizor and BOba Fett feuding is at the very least worse than SOTE.

or what about the one where Dash becomes bodyguard for a pop star who turns out to be Princess Leia's secret cousin and they hook up and Dash is weirdly jealous of her throughout the book. also several parrs of the book include him bringing up Han Solo apropos of nothing to talk about how much better he is than Han. my avatar quote is case in point!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I mean it sounds like everything about Xizor is "superficially really cool, but with literally no substance to back it up." Nobody even actually likes him for him, they just fall for his weird alien powers. No surprise that he went out like a chump.

I didn't really read much with him in it though. I do know that there were a number of other characters with similar rapey gimmicks floating around, like Thanos's gross brother Starfox.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
In Shadows of the Empire book they are doing a shadowrun on a tower on Coruscant and Luke is uncomfortable because they're going through the sewers and he smelss some poo poo. He goes on to think about when you smell something little particles of it go into your nose so you actually are kinda touching it. That is the only part of the book I remember.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Badactura posted:

In Shadows of the Empire book they are doing a shadowrun on a tower on Coruscant and Luke is uncomfortable because they're going through the sewers and he smelss some poo poo. He goes on to think about when you smell something little particles of it go into your nose so you actually are kinda touching it. That is the only part of the book I remember.

Oh god gently caress whoever wrote that, every time I ever went in someone else's gross house or in an Army latrine I remembered Luke and the poop particles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the sewer guides name was Benedict Vidkun. and he betrayed them! surprising no one.