Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah i'm still on 1pass 4. once i saw they were going the route of forcing subscriptions on people i disabled auto-updates and i've been coasting for years on this without too many issues

very same. modern safari is the only thing it doesn’t work on for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol ffs, i was trying to browse the docs and

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
what's a good standalone totp generator that actually has something like categories and can be backed up? i have 44 totp-enabled accounts

i use duo for work and it's pretty lovely. i've used authy in the past and it's alright but exporting and backing up my keys was a huge pita.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
ok idk why i was having problems with the 1password browser extension before, it's working fine now

playing with the beta more now. if they hadn't rebuilt this thing in rust it wouldn't even be in the running but despite it's other shortcomings i'm very tempted to pull the trigger on it...

edit nope, five minutes trying out some stuff and the crappy searching is already pissing me off

idgi. if you're subscribing to this you're a power user no? then why not give me better searching capabilities.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 29, 2021

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Asleep Style posted:

more like... assword manager

lol i just learned there is a password manager named 'assword'

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/assword.1.html

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I recall someone recommended something for MSP-type sharing of passwords and keys, like for remote access to hundreds of devices, within a team. Is there a non-Internets option?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cold on a Cob posted:

ok idk why i was having problems with the 1password browser extension before, it's working fine now

playing with the beta more now. if they hadn't rebuilt this thing in rust it wouldn't even be in the running but despite it's other shortcomings i'm very tempted to pull the trigger on it...

edit nope, five minutes trying out some stuff and the crappy searching is already pissing me off

idgi. if you're subscribing to this you're a power user no? then why not give me better searching capabilities.

the search seems dependent on the platform implementation, too, which is just dumb. like, for ios and (i presume, based on past experience) macos it's a universal search, but for windows and the browser extension it's very specific, which breaks my 'old modified date' use case

i can understand that the codebase s were different, but why break the search so obviously?

other than that long-standing windows quirk, the new rust client is much better than the current stable windows release and i ended up cleaning up many of my old accounts on my windows desktop instead of dusting off my aging mba. if they fix the search it'll be a very solid replacement on all platforms

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve been using last pass forever because why not it’s fine

I’ve been meaning to migrate to bit keeper but I haven’t.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

keep rear end

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i ended up going with bitwarden, op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe that’s what I meant

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

keep rear end

appealing to millenails

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
everyone's moved on to keep rear end xc now but i wish it was called keep rear end XD

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
firefox hosed up their pw manager autofill on ios somehow, so now you have to c/p everything :negative:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
worse than two factor authentication

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

worse than two factor authentication

1password tacks that into the clipboard on autofills, but there's the question of should it be stored in a pwm along with the pw

speaking of 1password, their mac users don't seem to be too pleased with the new beta client since it's a bunch of electron with UI changes compared to the historically good desktop Mac app. it's the same beta as the windows one that we were discussing earlier in the thread which has, for me, been doing well for daily use

I'm curious how that codebase unification will come to their mobiles apps. is there a WebKit equivalent electron framework that could be drop-in friendly for iOS developers? it seems they'll still need separate codebases for mobile platforms but this'll unify the desktop and extension experience, instead of a venn of ios and macOS, then separate circles for windows, android, and web extensions as the filler for browsers and systems without a full client like linux and chromeos

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i use a very old version of 1password because i refuse to use subscription services for software that lives on my computer

i am thinking about switching, is there anything as good? is there any poor oss imitations?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Good news everyone; the new version of iCloud for Windows has a basic password manager in it.
(also an Edge extension for Shaggar)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Share Bear posted:

i use a very old version of 1password because i refuse to use subscription services for software that lives on my computer

i am thinking about switching, is there anything as good? is there any poor oss imitations?

the subs service is great. dehumanise yourself

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imagine paying to be a sub

Original GANster
Sep 14, 2005

selfhosted bitwarden which is called vaultwarden now (was bitwarden_rs) because it was confusing or something.

i already had a server going so adding another app to it was simple and doesn't need to be paid for on its own.

also signed up my family on it (they weren't using a pw manager at all lol) so they get their passwords backed up for free and we can also use the bitwarden "collections" feature to share passwords, documents, notes, files.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

i ended up going with bitwarden, op

Are you still using bitwarden

I can’t decide which manager to go for… I need to to work flawlessly in Mac, windows and iOS

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I use 1Password, and now subscribe to the family edition. The new version (I was on 4 for my earlier posts itt) works great for me on macOS Windows and iOS. I think they still sell a stand-alone edition if recurring charges aren’t your thing.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Good news everyone; the new version of iCloud for Windows has a basic password manager in it.
(also an Edge extension for Shaggar)

not needed because edge passwords sync on all platforms and to the microsoft authenticator app on ios

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Hed posted:

I use 1Password, and now subscribe to the family edition. The new version (I was on 4 for my earlier posts itt) works great for me on macOS Windows and iOS. I think they still sell a stand-alone edition if recurring charges aren’t your thing.

Are you afraid of forgetting your master password (since it supposedly isn’t possible to recover)? Also I read that 1pass can’t save a password after you’ve submitted on the web site, is this true?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Keepass with Synchthing to keep it updated

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Flyndre posted:

Are you afraid of forgetting your master password (since it supposedly isn’t possible to recover)? Also I read that 1pass can’t save a password after you’ve submitted on the web site, is this true?

if your encrypted store has a backdoor then it's not actually encrypted

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

1password

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

1password on ios can't save with the default keychain integration, but there's a safari extension now that i think does?

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 13, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
they all suck so loving badly.

Used to use last pass. It's desktop client is unbelievable dogshit. Dropped that.
Went to 1password. doggggggggshit. Dropped that.

Literally ended up just building my own which has mega jank in some places, but it's my ideal UX, so there's that I guess.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I actually liked last pass and I even tried to pay for it but the payment system was broken so I switched to
bitwarden which works I guess

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah it's bad.

all i want is to sync passwords between chrome (which i use for work), firefox (home computer, personal profile on work computer) and safari on ios. and to be able to shove qr codes and text notes in there. and i need to share logins with ms jones occasionally.

1password could be worse but boy howdy could it also be a lot better.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s adequate. but yeah what’s with software that’s bad? just make it good imo

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

echinopsis posted:

it’s adequate. but yeah what’s with software that’s bad? just make it good imo

bad software is bad

but having 150 pwnd passwords in use like I currently do is also bad… so maybe using bad password manager software can be… good?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

bet you can’t guess my password :smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis