Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Qu Appelle posted:

Weird question.

Is one 'tied' to a sangha? Or to a certain tradition?

Nah. A teacher? Somewhat. A monastery? Yeah. A Sangha or group or so on? Nah not at all. Visit and explore, the Buddha taught 84,000 heaps of Dharma and they are all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Paramemetic posted:

Nah. A teacher? Somewhat. A monastery? Yeah. A Sangha or group or so on? Nah not at all. Visit and explore, the Buddha taught 84,000 heaps of Dharma and they are all good.

That all is really reassuring.

I don't really have a set teacher yet, and i think that's partially in that it's hard for me to physically get there - so I'm not around. Zoom has made that a lot easier, at least, to talk to people; we do have a virtual 'coffee hour' for sangha members after virtual Chenrezi, and that's good. Nor have I taken any monastic vows, so not tied to any monastery. I do have a White Tara empowerment, but the daily requirement is to just practice bodhichitta, which I try to do anyways. (I did get good advice in that now that I've made Refuge? Don't run around and get all the empowerments you can, just because you can. They're teachings, not Pokemon.)

I'll give the Buddhist Church a visit when they're able to open up in person again.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

There's definitely an expectation generally that if you invest enough into a tradition to formally become someone's student (which can be formal or informal) that you direct the majority of your energies in that direction if possible, at least for some time. There's definitely nothing against double dipping and generally if you asked anyone in a teaching role, 'hey i'm curious to check out x' or 'hey it's way more convenient for me to go practice at y a few days a week' you'll probably just get nodded at and told to report back how it goes. Depending on a few things you might also get told a bit about how to speak of previous practice.. or not to.

That last bit is primarily an etiquette thing: it's just more respectful to show up and take in the experience rather than barraging out a bunch of comparisons to 'back at the zen center' or whatever. Besides, you can't really experience something without experiencing it from the beginning.

If you want to make a good impression and contribute, come up with some really good questions to ask.

Also I believe the vast majority of people who have practiced a decent while have practiced in multiple places or with different traditions. After you've become fairly grounded in one it becomes a good way to gain some depth of understanding and insight into wtf all goes on under the banner of buddhism.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's definitely an expectation generally that if you invest enough into a tradition to formally become someone's student (which can be formal or informal) that you direct the majority of your energies in that direction if possible, at least for some time. There's definitely nothing against double dipping and generally if you asked anyone in a teaching role, 'hey i'm curious to check out x' or 'hey it's way more convenient for me to go practice at y a few days a week' you'll probably just get nodded at and told to report back how it goes. Depending on a few things you might also get told a bit about how to speak of previous practice.. or not to.

That last bit is primarily an etiquette thing: it's just more respectful to show up and take in the experience rather than barraging out a bunch of comparisons to 'back at the zen center' or whatever. Besides, you can't really experience something without experiencing it from the beginning.

If you want to make a good impression and contribute, come up with some really good questions to ask.

Also I believe the vast majority of people who have practiced a decent while have practiced in multiple places or with different traditions. After you've become fairly grounded in one it becomes a good way to gain some depth of understanding and insight into wtf all goes on under the banner of buddhism.

Yeah that's a really good point.

The problem may solve itself when I move, which I'm planning on doing in the next year or so anyways. There's definitely no dissatisfaction with the teachings or the sangha itself; my issue is purely geographical in nature. The one thing I don't want to do is stretch myself way too thin, and then have that be a source of stress.

And! I just checked my sangha's message board, and one of the teachers there posted this resource of Tibetan texts and prayers into various languages, from Tibetan. My time might be better spent studying the texts in here as a dharma practice, for when I can't get to my sangha physically. https://www.lotsawahouse.org/

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 15, 2020

«7 »