Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
The Young Turks committed the Armenian Genocide.

Muldoon

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Jainism, a cousin religion of Buddhism, even refers to its prophets as Tirthinkara or "ford-makers" (Ford meaning a shallow part of the river you can wade through a la Oregon trail not the car) while Buddhism refers to non-Buddhists as tirthika (also means ford-maker but with more emphasis on trying to cross the river than actually crossing the river.)

Well now I understand the Herman Hesse’s Siddhartha a whole lot better. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

appreciate the effort you put in here. this was interesting

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i got into buddhism by having pretty nuanced views about the nature of truth, knowledge, consciousness and so on and reading some yogacara-influenced things and saying "oh yeah that's true, interesting, what else do they have to say?"

anyway i went back to vasubandhu's thirty verses on consciousness-only and it's so good. vasubandhu rules. the translation was connely's in inside vasubandhu's yogacara and was quite good - the best i've read (but i dont read sanskrit/old chinese/tibetan so i can only comment on the readability and the fact that it didn't do anything really weird/heterodox/whatever in the translation). the commentary was pretty good too, def. worth reading if that's the sort of thing you're interested in

also little jones has been sitting with me lately and it's awesome

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I was very excited to find this was just put up on Audible:
The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way Nagarjuna's Mulamadhyamakakarika

Figured I'd share this in case there are any other Buddhist or Buddhism-interested goons like me who need audiobooks.

There is also this channel on YT where a guy with a very nice voice reads a lot of differnt Buddhist material. I found him while looking for readings of Pure Land amterial like sutras or Shinran's works
https://www.youtube.com/c/acalaacala/playlists

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Shape Shift With Me

I found out about a Drikung Kagyu center nearby. The head monk is doing regular zoom practice sessions. I've only been to a lay Soto Zen meditation group before, so I'm looking forward to dropping in virtually, and hopefully going in person at some point too.

I really don't know a whole lot about Tibetan Buddhism (outside of Wikipedia dives) so I find it a little bit intimidating, but it also sounds pretty fascinating. Long-term, I want to find a sangha to belong to, so I can take refuge and formally take the bodhisattva's vow. I don't know if that's a simple goal or a far-off goal, to be honest.