Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Please please let go of your desire to sit in lotus soon. It might take years of dedicated yoga to reach that posture safely and it's not a necessary condition for a good sit. Believe me I've damaged my already weak knees trying to rush lotus, and that was with regular and intense practice (YMMV some bodies get it more easily).

But it's OK! With the zafu or a meditation stool or yoga blocks you can still find other ways to sit, even if you have to change positions every so often. For example, I'll sit cross legged on a zafu with my knees on the floor, like a loose half lotus, until my leg starts to fall asleep. Then, I switch to kneeling with my butt on a yoga block. The more I do it the more I zone in on the micro adjustments necessary for me to sit longer comfortably.

If you keep up your physical practice along with sitting, and listen to your body, you will find what you're looking for bit by bit.

Also if u want more of a breakdown of the mechanics of lotus and knee safety I can elaborate on what I know :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I'm happy to share what I know, I've received a lot of instruction and adjustment over the years, and wished I'd been safer about it sooner. I'll type it out next chance I get.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Noted, Yorkshire Pudding. I'm glad to know you're not rushing it!

I wrote up an effortpost with what I know—and I'm happy to be corrected or challenged if anyone here knows differently.

The Road To Lotus

As Nude Hoxha Cameo just said, lotus pose is not about knee flexibility, but about opening and rotating the hips. As I mentioned, I've struggled to reach lotus comfortably and have developed a chronic knee (and possibly ankle) injury in the process. I hope that anything I've learned about how to approach lotus will be useful to others so that they can enjoy a pain-free journey toward this fantastic pose.

To be perfectly transparent, I can't do lotus. I've achieved it in the past, for a time. I don't know if I'll ever get to where I desire, but I do my best to focus on my present practice and what it affords.

My Background

I've been studying and practising Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga since 2013. I've had the good fortune to have had an excellent teacher from the outset. He's extremely dedicated to the practice and to his students, and even though he lives across the country now he finds ways to be present and to guide me in my individual journey. So, big shout out to Patrick!

Ashtanga is a notoriously intense style that has a couple of dark sides, one being a culture of pushing the body to the point of injury. Thankfully that has changed over the years, and in my experience safety is now a key concern. I'm saying this in case there are people ITT who know enough about ashtanga to rightfully have doubts about an ashtangi sharing safety information. And, note that I am not a yoga teacher. I have on occasion given private lessons to friends but keep in mind that everything I'm saying here only really applies to experiences with my own body and my individual study.

In any case, I did injure myself twice over time, both times from trying to push myself toward lotus. The ashtanga seated series has many hip opening and rotation postures but I would caution you to be extremely careful with them because they are surprisingly dangerous (this is where I got my worst injury). I've been taught that they're better understood as "check-ins" to measure your progress rather than as main flexibility engines.

Flexibility and Safety

It's worth keeping in mind that, practically speaking, joints are not flexible. It is muscles that lengthen and allow you to express the range of motion of your joints. If your muscles are not long enough, your joints will take up the strain. And with time and/or force that means soft tissue damage that is potentially with you for life.

Lotus, so Hot Right Now

Why does everybody want to lotus so bad anyways? Not just because it looks great, or that all our ancient role models do it. Lotus pose is so fantastic because when it is properly done, your body is locked into a seated posture. That means you are not expending energy just holding your foundation together. It's being held together by folding your skeletal system into a shape that doesn't collapse when you let go of muscular tension. Understandably, this is very useful for long meditation practice.

That being said you can still find ways to sit with little to no muscle activation in your foundation, using bolsters, blocks, and/or a stool (or a chair for that matter). Lotus is great, but it's not the only way. So while you're working on it, just keep in mind that the goal is to have a solid foundation that minimizes muscle activation.

Ideal Lotus Anatomy, a Visualization

There are essentially 2 movements that fold the body into lotus pose. Outward rotation of the leg, and outward rotation of the hip.

Visualize the following:

This is a somewhat absurd anatomical visualization to illustrate lotus mechanics. You can use a bent drinking straw or something as a model leg if you prefer a tactile representation.
  • Imagine sitting upright with legs straight in front, knees and feet pointing up (Dandasana).
  • Feel both of your legs rotating all the way outwards: they're still straight in front of you, but your knees and feet are pointing out to the sides. All the way out, so they're parallel to the floor. Imagine them going even farther, so that they point out and down a bit. Each entire leg has rotated so that now the crooks of the knees are facing inwards and upwards and the feet are touching the floor on either side.
  • Now, imagine what would happen if you could fully bend your knees in this arrangement. With the kneecaps pointed out and down: bending the knees causes the lower legs to swing up and over to land on your inner thighs. In this somewhat absurd arrangement your feet would be touching each other in front of your navel.
  • To lock the anatomy into lotus, it's now a simple matter of crossing the feet, placing each ankle on the opposite hip. There is no strain on the knees because the entire leg is rotated outward. There is no strain on the ankle joint because the ankle (not the foot) is resting on the hip. In this ideal exercise, note that the ankle joint has not moved. It's just the same as it was when you were sitting with straight legs, with the toes pointing in the same direction as the knees.

Hopefully this provides some insight into how lotus works in an ideal sense. The last point about the knee and ankle provides probably the best way to measure your knee and ankle safety while you work toward the ideal.

Safe Lotus Anatomy

The #1 way to ensure that you are safe in your lotus explorations is to know how a safe knee and ankle feels and looks. It's really simple, thankfully. Try this for yourself:
  • Sit on the floor, and bend one knee bringing a leg all the way up to your chest. Your foot is flat on the ground and your heel is right up against your butt.
  • Use your hands to really make sure that the knee is all the way bent. Think of this whole assembly as one solid unit. The foot is facing straight out along the line of the leg.
  • Now flex your whole ankle to pull your foot upward. The ankle is strong, the legs are strong, everything is aligned and strong. This whole assembly is your safety check. NOTE: The ankle doesn't always need to be flexed like this but if you can't center the ankle while getting into lotus, it probably means your foot is resting on your leg/hip which is pulling your ankle out of alignment because your hip isn't flexible enough to lift your ankle that high*.
  • Hug your leg to your chest and enjoy this solidity!

When you are doing any kind of lotus-related posture, the lower and upper legs should always be aligned like this. If the lower leg starts swinging out of alignment with the upper leg, your knee is rotating laterally and you will probably hurt yourself. Similarly, if the ankle is getting pulled off to the side (like if you are cranking it up your leg to get closer to your hip) you will probably hurt yourself*.

Again, because it bears repeating (and applies to all yoga practice): if your muscles can't get you into a pose, your joints will try to take up the strain, and strained joints will cause lasting damage

* there is some leeway in the ankle, but be careful!

Easy Poses That I Like

I have 2 favourite poses for working on lotus flexibility, both very safe and accessible. The first is good old triangle pose (Trikonasana), in which you can find and hold a rotational stretch in the leading leg by gentle exploration of hip position in the pose. The second is bound ankle pose (Baddha Konasana), which you can do with a partner or with weights, perhaps while watching TV or reading a book!

I can't in good faith go into any more detail on this part because there are so many poses that can contribute to reaching lotus, and I can't presume to know what will work for you. I can offer some suggestions for reading material that has given me insights and that I continue to refer to for my practice. I'd also be happy to know peoples' favourite lotus-related stretches/poses and lotus alternatives for sitting!

Resources

The Art of Vinyasa by Richard Freeman and Mary Taylor
Anatomy for Hip Openers and Forward Bends by Ray Long
Ashtanga Yoga Practice and Philosophy by Gregor Maehle

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

I used to practice with Melanie Fawer years ago. She’s amazing, and her shala was very old school: Mysore every morning, complete with the traditional adjustments. I only wish there were as good a shala near where I’m living now; the closest these days is just a tad too far to make it practical to go.

Anyway, I’d throw in David Swenson’s Primary Series video and also The Practice Manual. [...] He goes through the primary series with dazzling ease, but also constantly reminds students to take it easy, and at least in the book, but I think also in the video, offers a number of modifications so that anyone can do the postures.

I definitely miss the routine and rigour of having daily Mysore with attentive adjustment. There are a couple of good options in my city for Ashtanga but I've never quite found the same level of satisfaction since my teacher moved away. Over time I've started to enjoy going to the gym and simply practicing among gym people, which for some strange reason I've found to be more enjoyable than practicing with other yogis. It's really helped with my personal practice, and made it so much easier to practice at home. I guess I find myself being less struck by Yoga Guilt.

And yeah can't forget Swenson! For modifications/accessibility I like The Art of Vinyasa because Freeman and Taylor wrote it recently, and so they're writing and demonstrating yoga from a elder's perspective. Sometimes to stay safe and considerate of my body I have to remind myself to "practice like an old person", and this book hits that note for me :)

quote:

half assed lotus

:lol: I love this term

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

for the near future I think I’ll stick with some basic yoga and just focus on getting some basic flexibility down. I’ve got plenty of time to work towards more advanced stuff.

You've got your whole lives ahead of you!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

The brain is physical hardware that addresses a lot of sensation and perception including the embodied experience of thoughts (these being a class of perception) but we don't really have a good reason to associate this with mind itself.

Do you have a good reason to dissociate the mind from the embodied experience of thoughts?

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I suppose my question was a reaction to your wording about not having a good reason for associating them. Instead, it would be better for me to offer potentially good reasons for that association, and to articulate why I react so hard to what I saw as an easy assumption about the mind and body being unassociated. I'm out and about at the moment, so for now thank you for your response and I'll be back later with more to add!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

When you pet the good dog, you also pet yourself in the next life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Impermanent posted:

can't decide if the idea of the complete cessation of existence after death or eternal being is more scary so I think maybe both are attachments. that's my story today.

I try to keep in mind that I'm made of used bits of other beings in the first place. So maybe I'll just be lost (or found) in the crowd