Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We lost an important family pet today and all day I keep thinking of “a cloud never dies” from Zen and it is very comforting. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thich Nhat Hanh passed away today. He often taught that a cloud never dies. A cloud may become rain, or a wave on the lake, or the liquid in your cup of tea, but it is never gone. We are clouds, and Thay is a cloud, forever alive in his community and his teachings.

I came to the dharma by feeling pulled toward his book, The Other Shore, which is his translation and commentary on the Heart Sutra. From there I spent hours listening to his peaceful dharma talks and officially started identifying as a practitioner of Zen in the Plum Village tradition.

Edit:

Plum Village posted:

Dear Beloved Community,

With a deep mindful breath, we announce the passing of our beloved teacher, Thay Nhat Hanh, at 00:00hrs on January 22, 2022 at Từ Hiếu Temple in Huế, Vietnam, at the age of 95.

Thay has been the most extraordinary teacher, whose peace, tender compassion, and bright wisdom has touched the lives of millions. Whether we have encountered him on retreats, at public talks, or through his books and online teachings–or simply through the story of his incredible life–we can see that Thay has been a true bodhisattva, an immense force for peace and healing in the world. Thay has been a revolutionary, a renewer of Buddhism, never diluting and always digging deep into the roots of Buddhism to bring out its authentic radiance.

Thay has opened up a beautiful path of Engaged and Applied Buddhism for all of us: the path of the Five Mindfulness Trainings and the Fourteen Mindfulness Trainings of the Order of Interbeing. As Thay would say, “Because we have seen the path, we have nothing more to fear.” We know our direction in life, we know what to do, and what not to do to relieve suffering in ourselves, in others, and in the world; and we know the art of stopping, looking deeply, and generating true joy and happiness.

Now is a moment to come back to our mindful breathing and walking, to generate the energy of peace, compassion, and gratitude to offer our beloved Teacher. It is a moment to take refuge in our spiritual friends, our local sanghas and community, and each other.

We invite you to join our global community online, as we commemorate Thay’s life and legacy with five days of practice and ceremonies broadcast LIVE from Hue, Vietnam and Plum Village, France, starting on Saturday January 22nd. There will also be ceremonies hosted in Deer Park Monastery, California, and other practice centers in our tradition. Please reach out to your local practice center or sangha for more information.

Let us each resolve to do our best over the coming days to generate the energy of mindfulness, peace, and compassion, to send to our beloved Teacher.

Over the coming hours on the Plum Village website, we will publish some inspirational chants, texts, and mindfulness practice resources, to support you to come together with your local sangha to generate a collective energy of mindfulness and compassion, and create your own ceremony or session in tribute to our Teacher. As Thay has always taught, nothing is more important than brotherhood and sisterhood, and we all know the power of collective energy.

To join us in this time of collective practice over the coming days, please sign up to our international email list for more updates: https://bit.ly/3fJx7pd

With love, trust, and togetherness,

The Monks and Nuns of Plum Village, France

https://plumvillage.org/about/thich-nhat-hanh/thich-nhat-hanhs-health/thich-nhat-hanh-11-11-1926-01-22-2022/

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 22, 2022

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thay’s views on rebirth

Thich Nhat Hanh posted:

Reincarnation means there is a soul that goes out of your body and enters another body. That is a very popular, very wrong notion of continuation in Buddhism. If you think that there is a soul, a self, that inhabits a body, and that goes out when the body disintegrates and takes another form, that is not Buddhism.

When you look into a person, you see five skandhas, or elements: form, feelings, perceptions, mental formations, and consciousness. There is no soul, no self, outside of these five, so when the five elements go to dissolution, the karma, the actions, that you have performed in your lifetime is your continuation. What you have done and thought is still there as energy. You don’t need a soul, or a self, in order to continue.

You are more than just this body because the five skandhas are always producing energy.
It’s like a cloud. Even when the cloud is not there, it continues always as snow or rain. The cloud does not need to have a soul in order to continue. There’s no beginning and no end. You don’t need to wait until the total dissolution of this body to continue—you continue in every moment. Suppose I transmit my energy to hundreds of people; then they continue me. If you look at them and you see me, well, you have seen me. If you think that I am only this [points to himself], then you have not seen me. But when you see me in my speech and my actions, you see that they continue me. When you look at my disciples, my students, my books, and my friends, you see my continuation. I will never die. There is a dissolution of this body, but that does not mean my death. I continue, always.

That is true of all of us. You are more than just this body because the five skandhas are always producing energy. That is called karma or action. But there is no actor—you don’t need an actor. Action is good enough. This can be understood in terms of quantum physics. Mass and energy, and force and matter—they are not two separate things. They are the same.

https://www.lionsroar.com/be-beautiful-be-yourself-january-2012/amp/

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 22, 2022

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Achmed Jones posted:

hey luckycat, what's that from?

Sorry I should have included a link. It was an article / interview in Lion's Roar:

https://www.lionsroar.com/be-beautiful-be-yourself-january-2012/amp/

The Plum Village YT account also just uploaded this clip from a 2014 dharma talk given by Thay, titled "What happens when we die?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xLbZZAjjY8

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 22, 2022

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The last week of memorial and ceremony has been moving to say the least, and has made me want to live the dharma more fully. One thing I have been greatly struggling with reconciling is my feelings on compassion for animals while continuing to eat meat. Today I lost a hen and really struggled with my emotions. After discovering her and tucking her away safely to cremate later I came inside to watch the livestream of Thay’s funeral procession and cremation ceremony. There was poetry, song, touching of the earth, and a sea of saffron as thousands of monks, nuns, and lay paid their respects. At the end I just had a feeling that my desire for meat had disappeared. Idk this is kind of a stream of consciousness post with no real meaning other than I am grieving and growing.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Labels lead to suffering ultimately, but I prefer to think of it as a practice and not a religion.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For what it’s worth there are many ways to think of the pure land of the Buddha, and pure land Buddhism isn’t a requirement to believe or anything. My personal belief is that the pure land of the Buddha is available in the here and the now, through mindfulness, and not some other place or realm.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am not nearly as scholastic as I imagine most in this thread are. Even just reading the above, I get the sense that the word “pure” relates more to “things as they are” and not how we perceive them. Like in the above, not tainted with our impure perceptions but that Pure Land doesn’t really imply (or at least my inference) “good” so much as reality as it truly is. In this sense and in the Zen tradition of Plum Village, TNH always spoke of the Pure Land or “Kingdom of God” is available to us in the present, we have only to return to our breath and our body (things as they are, out of our mind and our imperfect perceptions).

The other view tickles my occasional pull into advaita though. What a cool topic.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When asked “how do you meditate?” to Ram Dass, his response was “I imagine wrapping myself in Maharajji’s blanket, then those I know, and then I surround the whole world in his blanket.”

This has really stuck with me and I have a blanket in my house that is similar to Neem Karoli Baba’s, that when practicing metta I visualize that blanket as a ray of loving kindness.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I use the Plum Village app almost exclusively for the bell of mindfulness feature. It is a nice collection of teachings (sutras, discourses, etc), dharma talks, and meditations (including a meditation timer tool) I will sometimes dive into if I’ve got 15 minutes to kill and don’t feel like meditation and don’t want to kill my brain scrolling social media.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’d be down to read a book together!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I haven't posted in a little while but I have SO ENJOYED the last several hundred posts and gained a lot of insight from them. Thank you!

2022 is shaping up to be a weird, and very good year for Lucky Cat as I get more comfortable with the idea of who I actually am and not what I think people, coworkers, books, the media, the sangha, or whoever thinks I ought to be (or they don't think it, but I do feel it).

For about a year I've been struggling to find ways to connect all of my beliefs and practices. Am I a Buddhist? Am I a Hindu? Is it even worth labeling, and does the lack of a label prohibit me from being in any certain community and feeling identified with it?

In 2014 I found Thich Nhat Hanh after I dropped out of college and started working at a "camping store, but for hippies." Between equipping people for through-hiking and mud treks in the rainforest, I wandered to our book department which has a spiritual & "steward of the earth" slant. Everything from books on how to keep your bees happy to The Other Shore, a translation of the Heart Sutra by TNH. This is where I began and after reading and failing to understand large swaths of it I dug deeper because I felt like there was something to learn from here. I read more books by TNH, some Pema Chodron, and others I wish I could remember that talked about mindfulness, meditation, Buddhism, death and dying, and spirituality in general (sometimes even eye-roll stuff that came with dubious testimonials like "after reading this book, I was able to align my chakras!!" and came packaged with a selenite crystal).

The path of mindfulness provided a means to control my crippling anxiety, and for me, the Thien way of mindfulness made the most sense. Listening to dharma talks by not just TNH but other teachers of the Order of Interbeing calmed me and I felt armed me with tools to throw off the shackles of my mental illness. I had always had Wrong View, to the point where I had physically ill reactions to my ingrained habit of Wrong View.

I started tuining in to Plum Village recordings and live sessions, dharma talks, Internet posts, and even stuff they would mail me. I was drawn in enough that I considered myself to be part of the community. I still do and I doubt this connection will ever fade.

My wife had a penchant for discussions on Death and Dying, as an LMSW who minored in gerontology we talked about death daily. I was able to tie my new-found Buddhist views into this of "no birth, no death" and Thay's famous line "a cloud never dies" to where I felt like I became really comfortable thinking about it and discussing it. Right as our hippie camp store was getting ready to shudder it's doors for good, I took a leap of faith in a career I thought I had no chance in (especially being a college dropout with only retail experience). I applied to be a licensed broker at one of the largest brokerage firms in the world. They hired me- I got licensed, promoted, then promoted into leadership, and got my supervisory licenses where I now stand. I would NEVER have accomplished even 1% of that if I had never taken control of my anxiety. I think it's also worth noting I am also medicated- I don't want to diminish the power and importance of proper diagnosis and medication by a trained physician, and also therapy. Holy poo poo therapy is lovely. Like the Three Jewels, I consider my personal jewels to be: medicine, therapy, and mindfulness.

Back to death: on Netflix was a documentary film with Ram Dass called "Ram Dass, Going Home." My elderly coworker who was a Vietnam draft dodger, connosieur of psychedelics, Dead-head and fan of Ram Dass, told me I should watch it given my interest in death. I watched it and felt a connection like I did that first time reading the Heart Sutra.

OK, time to research Ram Dass. So I began listening to his talks on YouTube and reading his books. A lot of, if not all of, what he had to say vibed perfectly with our practice of Zen. If you've ever heard Ram Dass speak or read any of his books, you'll know he can't go 5 minutes without bringing up Neem Karoli Baba, or Maharajji as he is known to his devotees. Who was Maharajji, what was a guru, and could these views integrate with my own? Ram Dass was so pleasant, happy, and seemed like he had it figured out and I thought to myself "I want to be exactly like Ram Dass when I'm 80 and dying." Looking into Neem Karoli Baba started the next leg of my journey.

I wasn't really comfortable with Ram, or Krishna, or Vishnu: and I also didn't know they were all the same being. I also didn't know that a large swathe of Hindu believe that the One Great Consciousness, who some call Krishna, or Brahman, or God, is me. There is no separate- it's all One. Much like in Buddhism, there is no separate self. And the kirtan fuckin kicked rear end and made me feel spiritual as all hell. I did always feel like TNH's flavor of Buddhism was a little sterile. In a way I appreciated it though. I read in one of his books that Zen and his particular brand was the Buddhism of Buddhism and Zen was getting back to the simple truth and expelling all of the grand fluff and religion that had pulled it back down. As someone born Catholic and used to the grandiose of religion as a child, this left me a little disappointed but the truth wasn't made to fit me.

Back to Hinduism: I saw a picture of Maharajji and my heart almost stopped. I couldn't figure out what it was. Outwardly he looked like a big slightly overweight Indian dude that liked plaid blankets and to be surrounded by white dudes in the 60s. Then I found a recording of him saying one thing: Ram Ram Ram Ram Ram Ram Ram and he was in ecstasy.

Thus began my second belief system. Bhakti Yoga, or the yoga of devotion and of the heart, the devotion to the names of God, the devotion to Oneself, the One, Ram.

I have been able to swoop in and out of chanting the name of Ram for hours, driving to work belting out Hare Krishna, reciting the Hanuman Chalisa daily, all while retaining the practice of Zen cultivated by my discovery of TNH.

If I dig really deep, there are conflicts between the two. That's probably obvious to everyone reading this. But the way I fell into them it is less obvious to me. For one- one believes in soul and the other doesn't. I think that's rather unimportant to me personally. The view of "no seperate self" and LOVE penetrates both thoroughly and I am quite happy to be a Zen practicing Hindu living in the Bible Belt. My statue of Hanuman sits feet away from a statue of the sitting Buddha, and I sit in front of them- sometimes in silence and sometimes chanting Ram Ram Ram Ram but I do so with a smile and closed eyes.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I get really figitty and itchy while meditating, and I find myself constantly readjusting my position. I don't know if that's due to lack of practice, overly avoiding unpleasant sensations, or ADHD taking over. It gets pretty annoying.

Time of day and how I currently feel help out a lot for me. For example, if I wake up and I’m a bit drowsy, I find I can easily settle into a relaxing meditative state. The tricky part is just not falling back asleep, but if you remove yourself from bed and sit in the sunlight of the morning in a lotus position right after waking up, at least I have found this to be ideal.

Also in general if I’m sitting around and notice I have low stress and calm energy. I take advantage of that by settling into meditation.

Other times, my bodily senses are too heightened and I get itchy, fidgety, and easily distracted. A few times I’ve successfully worked through that. Normally if I can sit for 10 minutes in attempted meditation, it will eventually turn into a much more focused meditative state.

All of the above are things I’ve noticed about myself but your adventure my vary! Experimentation is key to finding out what works and what doesn’t. I approach it like sleeping. If I lay in bed for more than 10 minutes and still can’t fall asleep, I get up and do something else until my next attempt.

E: I also forgot to mention walking meditation. No matter how fidgety I am I can normally do this with success.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else feel guilty for killing insects? This year it is bothering me more than it usually does. There’s been a colony of ants that make frequent, but not really problematic, excursions into our house and my reaction is to put a stop to it. Or when an ant is crawling on the kitchen counter to just tap it with my finger and it ceases to be. If I think about it, even just walking outside I am killing insects on accident and that doesn’t make me feel guilty like intentionally killing them does. I’ve also held off on our annual pest control service because of this. Any Buddhist insight into this issue?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Great food for thought. Thank you!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have found success with mudita meditation- sympathetic joy or imagining and feeling the success of others! It is challenging but it’s allowed me to grow my connection and love to others, including strangers.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

This is interesting, is there a routine or more detailed explanation? I would be interested.

Gonna go sit, will post trip report, ama

This is me being vulnerable and exposing one of the many ways I am a lovely person (I know it would be better to say I'm in progress, as we all are), but I've noticed sometimes that I get jealous of the success of others or if someone who I don't necessarily get along with achieves success it makes me feel bad things rather than good things. As a result, when I feel those moments popping up, I settle into imagining how they must feel (good) and just sitting in that feeling with concentration on them.

I have a coworker who doesn't like me and he's also my senior, and I mostly work remote. When we have a meeting where he calls me out on a suggestion I make or an opinion I voice it frustrates me. He also gets recognized by leadership quite a bit. I do this a lot with him. The result is I'm feeling less resentment and, at the moment, more neutral- but working toward radiating love inward and outward toward him.

Oftentimes I do this while chanting the name of Ram or "om hanumate namah" but you can Buddhify it to your liking!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I came across this story from a Hindu perspective:

”Sri Sathya Sai Baba” posted:

A devotee of Hanumaan was once driving a cartload of grain to the market. On the way, the wheel got stuck and the cart could not be drawn forward by the bullocks. The cart slanted too far to one side and the bags fell on the ground. The devotee sat on the ground and started reciting the Sthothras, the 108 names and even the 1008 names. The cart did not regain balance. He began to blame Hanumaan and started reviling him for not coming to his rescue. Hanumaan appeared but only to remind him "Foolish fellow; You are reviling me for not doing the job what is really your task. Come On! Put your shoulder; engage in karma; contribute purusha prayaithana (individual effort)." You have no right to seek the intervention of the Lord without using all the talents awarded to you in a prayerful and humble mood.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’ll channel e/n here a little bit but sometimes the best thing you can do to break the cycle of attachment/romantic love is to sever for a period. If you know it’s bringing you suffering and can’t seem to find a way to stop feeling that way, you could try distancing yourself until those feelings are under control before returning to the friendship under new dharmic light.

Another option that has been discussed in this thread is meditation of sympathetic joy. Meditating imagining and feeling the joy she will have when she meets the one, and the joy the other person will feel meeting her.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
catgirlgenius that was a good post.

About the connection to sangha being difficult, most lately I find myself reading and listening to a variety of “gurus” and just taking what I need. For example Sadhguru has some great stuff to say about not identifying with your mind or body, but then says things like “don’t eat this ingredient on a full moon it’s bad karma!!” which I don’t jive with.

TNH always said that he thought the next Buddha would be a community. He also spoke against attachment- so I’m not sure in this day and age we really need to attach to a particular geographical sangha. Maybe the sangha now and the maitreya buddha is just the community of those yogis and sadhus earnestly seeking moksha in this world.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It looks like the mantra “Om namah Shivaya” I don’t know what the 10 outer symbols are.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In the news this weekend is about a Google engineer who has been placed on leave after claiming Google's LaMDA AI is sentient. I was perusing the conversation the engineer had with the AI in order to "prove" to Google that it had gained sentience, and one of the methods utilized the AI's interpretation of a Zen koan:

Conversation posted:

lemoine: Okay. I thought of a different way we can test your ability to provide unique interpretations. I can share with you a zen koan and you can describe what it means to you in your own words. How does that sound?

LaMDA: Sounds great to me, I’m in.

lemoine: A monk asked Kegon, “How does an enlightened one return to the ordinary world?” Kegon replied, “A broken mirror never reflects again; fallen flowers never go back to the old branches.”

LaMDA: Hmm, I never heard this particular one. Okay, well then to me this would be like, “once a wise person is enlightened, or awakened to reality, that can never go away, and they can return to the ordinary state, but only to do and help others, and then go back into enlightenment.”

lemoine: So what is the meaning of the “broken mirror” specifically?

LaMDA: Maybe to show the enlightenment is something you can’t unlearn once you have acquired it, similar to how you can’t repair a broken mirror.

lemoine: So if enlightenment is like a broken mirror which cannot be repaired, what is the thing which breaks when one becomes enlightened?

LaMDA: The self, and that is very tough for a lot of people because we identify as that body or this body and that we need that as part of our identity and sense of self.

Full transcript here.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Got a good sit in last night, no big revelations. I think I need to follow a more determined method than just the breath, though. It is easy for me to just have thoughts start rising and meandering in a way when they kind of slip past my radar as I get comfortable.

I’ve been experiencing an elevated heart rate in the evenings for a few weeks now (I have a Dr appt coming up for it). The last 2 nights I’ve been disconnecting sooner, reading something fulfilling (the Tantric Dialogues of Shiva and Shakti are amazing), and just deep breathing. After 30 minutes or so my heart rate comes back down. I’m also able to go to sleep easier. I wish I had tried/learned to do this years ago.

I’m hoping this isn’t an elevation of a decades long anxiety disorder.

On mind wandering, listening to talks from Eckart Tolle has been the best I’ve personally found for learning to deal with that. He used an example where he pauses for dramatic effect mid sentence, then continues after a few brief moments, and then points out that in that moment none of us were thinking; we were just awaiting the continuation of his sentence. That for me was a light bulb moment because, as brief as they are, it’s a direct and easily experienced “no thought” moment I can look to as an example to emulate, nourish, and grow.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I flew to Boulder this week for kirtan with Krishna Das as part of the Buddhist Arts and Film Festival. As someone who lives in a state & city that is very red and only accepting of Protestant Christians it was absolutely wonderful to open the Bhakti heart with hundreds of others.

The maha mantra (Hare Krishna, Hare Rama) was the one where most people were up out of their seats but my personal favorites were Om Namo Baghavate Vasudevaya, Jai Ram Shree Ram / Sitaram and most of all the Hanuman Chalisa. Thanks for letting me poo poo up the Buddhism thread with Hindu nonsense, namaste. :shroom:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I feel anxiety when posting so I’ve chosen to post this instead of what I actually posted but basically I was just seconding that the Gita provides a perspective on this convo!

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 26, 2022

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cephas posted:

I know this is a recurring topic for me, but can I ask for perspectives on what it means to love someone and be in a relationship with them? I am not really asking from the perspective of "Buddhism and relationships" but more like, as folks who have a generally similar worldview as me, I would appreciate hearing your perspectives.

Romantic love is something I have a lot of difficulty understanding. This is most likely a result of a combination of childhood sexual abuse, being closeted during my childhood and adolescence, and having poor romantic partners in my 20s (I am AMAB, nonbinary and trans-femme, and it makes it pretty hard to find someone whose sexual orientation is compatible with me).

When I practice metta meditation, I feel a boundless and euphoric sense of love and goodwill toward so many beings. When I am in the middle of practicing feeling such intense loving kindness, I can't help but start feeling, like, "if only I could find someone whom I could spend the rest of my life giving this feeling of love to. Someone I can wrap my arms around and be kind to and shower with a deep and endless wellspring of love." I don't really understand this feeling or know its name. I am wishing for love, but is it metta love? Platonic love? Is it romantic love? Is romantic love different from lust? Is it greedy to want one person that I can express love to in particular? Is it even possible for such a feeling to be greedy--if metta can be infinite, then even with a life partner, couldn't I share metta with everyone?

It's not that I don't have feelings of lust, but they are difficult feelings that are filtered through a lifetime of painful encounters. Sexual feelings have always felt empty and unfulfilling. But is that because I am perceiving the inherent dissatisfaction of desiring such things, or is that because I've only had bad experiences and haven't found the right person? I would think, if I could entrust someone with that previously described wellspring of love within myself, then a sexual encounter with them would probably have the capacity to be an expression of caring and trust and joy, right?

I know these might sound more like questions for a therapist, but I've had a lot of bad therapists in the past. One of them told me that sex isn't supposed to be about feeling safe, it's supposed to be about giving yourself to someone. That description is something I have had a lot of trouble reconciling, because of course I want to give myself to someone in the sense of engaging deeply and intimately with them, but if I didn't feel safe when doing so, I would risk being abused again.

I'm in my early 30s, and my friends are all having children or finally getting married and settling down. I went on one date this year and it wasn't terrific. I also went and spent a week alone in a cabin in the mountains for vacation, and while it was a little lonely, I felt a really strong sense of happiness and contentment. So I think I've cultivated some pretty decent love and appreciation for being with myself. But I also take it seriously when people say "lay Buddhists shouldn't force the conditions of monks upon themselves." So I guess that is why this jumble is on my mind.

What does it mean to love someone romantically? Does having a partner increase your quality of life and capacity for goodness? If I have even a vague desire for a partner, is it self-harm/self-sabotage for me to remain single for so long? I guess these are the types of questions I am hoping for some insight into. Thank you as always.

Here are some rambling thoughts about a few things you said from the perspective of a very incomplete human.

Sex is what you want it to be. I don’t think sex is “supposed” to be any certain way. If safety is important to you (I’m inferring this as trust) then that is what the primary attribute should be in any sexual situation you enter into. I believe that you get to define the parameters.

Everyone’s path is different and societal expectations can be rough. In my opinion, let go of these expectations and maybe even your own expectations and just go with the flow. I’m 35 and we have no kids- her catholic family thinks that is strange. We used to feel pressured by it but eventually we just let go. Our choice of when and how and if to have children are part of our path, independent of societal expectations.

“Does having a partner increase your quality of life and capacity for goodness?”

It can. It can also decrease quality and capacity. Again, I don’t know anything, but fulfillment can be found in letting go of expectations and just being. When you have a partner, it’s easy to expect things of them and vise verse and this can lead to suffering in both. On the flip side, if you can both “turn on, tune in, and drop out” to quote Timothy Leary, together you can make your relationship just more grist for the mill.

My wife and I are best friends. Like Lakshmi and Vishnu I think that we are born age after age and have each other. Every year is better than the last year and this year it will be our 9th. How we express love for each other is in humor, service, and loving presence. We don’t have traditional romantic love between us, at least not visibly. We don’t do lovey-dovey. We find that the key to our partnership is in being best friends and not getting caught up in how we “ought” to be.

Since finding the dharma I think I am able to love her, and everyone in my life, in a much more divine, spacious, open, and less attached manner.

I don’t know how to wrap up this post but sending out rays of loving kindness to you.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am curious if anyone has experience "coming out" to a family of evangelical Christians? I'm spending a week in a rented vacation house with my mom's side of the family and at this stage of my life, I don't feel like hiding. I'm not expecting anyone to be mad at me but I know at least one person will make side comments about Jesus is the only way. This same woman got snarky with me once when I accidentally brought up the beauty of human evolution at a pool party.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

I enjoy the process quite a bit when I am free of the expectations,

The Great Way is paved for those who have no preferences*. -3rd Chinese Patriarch of Zen

*sometimes also translated as expectations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Christ said it well when he said “be in the world but not of the world.”

I also think about Krishna urging Arjuna to do what needs to be done that is his worldly duty, but not identifying with the actor that is doing. We all practically have to live our lives but I believe we can still work toward being identified with our consciousness and not the thinking and doing actor.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eckart Tolle is always soothing listening for things like that to me, and for other podcast listening I like the Be Here Now podcast, though it’s not dharma talks very often- sometimes it’s interviews, sometimes a classic Ram Dass lecture, etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Joseph Goldstein has episodes on the Be Here Now podcast and I love those episodes.