Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deyr fe,
deyja fraendr,
deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn,
at aldrei deyr:
domr um daudan hvern.

Hello thread! I'm actually a practicing norse heathen, but I meditate a lot in the tradition of Reggie Ray, and via him, Chogyam Trungpa. Just hanging out and absorbing good dharma over here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deyr fe,
deyja fraendr,
deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn,
at aldrei deyr:
domr um daudan hvern.

Very personal story time, and I am deadly serious - I hope you lot can help:

I've been meditating on an experience I had some nine years ago, and which has started infringing on my consciousness again.

At one time, I left this place. As in, my consciousness left my body and was trapped.. outside. I was still in the area, but slightly over my body. It just wasn't anything like the pleasant or calming tales I had heard about out-of-body experiences. Everything was blurred, my consciousness was in searing pain (from where I do not know), and I had an acute sense that my soul or mind had been locked out of consensual reality - in a "hell", or perhaps just the janitorial locker where mind-stuff goes when it is forced out of a person. It is the most horrifying thing I have ever experienced, and I was certain that, could I not get back. If so, I would be outside the world, unable to communicate, and in pain, for an eternity, or until something with the appropriate ability could reach in and get me out.

At some point I blacked out, and was 'reinserted' or 'respawned', for lack of other words. I just suddenly realized it was some days later and I was doing something that wasn't being left outside my body in that terrible void. Now, I have paranoia-like tendrils reaching into my mind when I meditate, saying it could come back.

Can someone give me the buddhist perspective on these events? Have I messed up my dharma somehow, and can people suddenly go to hells before they die?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deyr fe,
deyja fraendr,
deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn,
at aldrei deyr:
domr um daudan hvern.

I mean in the sense of a blackout. One moment I was locked in the outside, then a blackout happens where I don't know what goes on (similar to drinking too much) and then suddenly I realize I'm actually back in my body, carrying on. As if I was snatched out of the world and reinserted a little time later.

E: though this is only as I recall it, and was from a period in time where I had several psychotic episodes and some degree of delusion. I don't expect you to give a perfect diagnosis with so unreliable a description, but I'm extremely worried that I will gently caress up my eternal soul here.

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 3, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deyr fe,
deyja fraendr,
deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn,
at aldrei deyr:
domr um daudan hvern.

One or two days later.

I too have an inkling that someone saw and took pity. If so, I should hope said mercy can be mine again.

E: I can, yes, but the fear of something going wrong insinuates itself when I'm being in the present.

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 3, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deyr fe,
deyja fraendr,
deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn,
at aldrei deyr:
domr um daudan hvern.

I ran this by a doc who does psych evaluations for a living, and she said the most relevant parts are textbook psychosis or schizophrenic behaviour, which calms me a lot. Head problems I can deal with, extreme cosmic horror is another deal entirely.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, it allayed some fears when I was very scared.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deyr fe,
deyja fraendr,
deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn,
at aldrei deyr:
domr um daudan hvern.

You're a good guy, Paramemetic. Just do what you can, it's all we ever can.

Also, that Jack Kornfeld guy is super online, and has a buddhist podcast - there's even a Corona meditation up! https://jackkornfield.com/compassion-in-the-time-of-coronavirus/

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deyr fe,
deyja fraendr,
deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn,
at aldrei deyr:
domr um daudan hvern.

My sponsor got me a kneeling chair, it's awesome. I won't go into lotus as I don't see a reason.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deyr fe,
deyja fraendr,
deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn,
at aldrei deyr:
domr um daudan hvern.

Agreed, I enjoyed drawing the waters between animism and buddhism with y'all

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deyr fe,
deyja fraendr,
deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn,
at aldrei deyr:
domr um daudan hvern.

While SA appears to be saved (sorry reincarnailures ), a vibrant discord has sprung up around Religionthread, and we officially invite all of you to come in:

https://discord.gg/kVX5Av

Like it's threadsake it's largely various denominations of christianity, but there's a scattering of jews, buddhists and norse animists as well!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deyr fe,
deyja fraendr,
deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn,
at aldrei deyr:
domr um daudan hvern.

I was poking around Penrose's thoughts about consciousness, and suddenly thought: What do buddhists think?

Did the buddha ever say where consciousness comes from? Is the same consciousness reincarnated?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deyr fe,
deyja fraendr,
deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn,
at aldrei deyr:
domr um daudan hvern.

Nessus posted:

I always thought the Mormons were considerate because their theory is that after you die, on judgment day or whatever, you will be greeted by angels and have everything explained to you, possibly by Jesus Himself, so you will be able to make a completely informed decision.

And you know, fair enough. I don't think that's how it works, but it shows a certain positive sentiment about the cosmos that a lot of these stories lack.

I wonder if they have any monastic orders...

This comes up between a good mormon friend of mine and me a lot. He has taken the Aaronian priesthood (sp?) and so has started baptizing his long dead protestant and catholic family members as mormons. He doesn't seem to see a problem in this, nor in baptizing other dead if he had the time and inclination.

As a devout member of another faith, I think this kind of knocking on my spirits door to be at best ignorant, and at worst hostile intrusion. If it was more like some mormons, when and if they turn out to be right (and only then), showing up to kindly let me into paradise if I agree to, that's a better situation.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deyr fe,
deyja fraendr,
deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn,
at aldrei deyr:
domr um daudan hvern.

Good on you, but it will probably not lead to lasting enlightenment. Most DMT heads I've met keep doing it regularly and switch to smoking pure base in order to get 'more' enlightenment and/or out of despair with the world they live in.

The psychedelic FAQ which I read for the first time prior to doing my first mushrooms 15 years ago puts it well:

quote:

Some call the highest plateau Satori enlightenment, instant Zen, Nirvana etc etc. You may find many of these Eastern terms used in conjunction with psychedelic drugs. In my (humble) opinion, true Zen enlightenment is reached only when the ego has been completely overcome, only when the 'ox' has been tracked, tamed and ridden back to town. This, unfortunately cannot be achieved in the altered reality of the tripping universe. The 'flashes' of Satori which may be experienced by the fortunate whilst tripping, are perceived as momentary periods of absolute peace and calm, periods where for a short time, the ego is so diffused, that the mind is no longer enslaved by many of the passions that normally arise.

In other words, you have to train your mind to let go of the passions, desires and confusions that are somewhat removed by entheogenic drugs, if you want the real deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deyr fe,
deyja fraendr,
deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn,
at aldrei deyr:
domr um daudan hvern.

Man, I wish I could have a job where the receptionist could tell callers I was 'wandering the temple grounds'. Perhaps I shall