Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Buried alive posted:

I have a vague notion that this has come up in the thread before, but I'm going to ask anyway.

What's y'all's take on Eckhert Tolle? His story (according to wikipedia) is that he spent many years being super depressed and then one night that all came to a head and forced what sounds like the death of his own ego. Spent some years wandering around, some in a buddhist monestary, and now he's some sort of spiritual guru with a couple of books out.

I find him slightly more attractive to listen to than most other spiritual things on Youtube (including other Buddhist things) but that might be because he vaguely reminds me of a hobbit and makes me think of the Shire.

Low rent Alan Watts IMO. I wanted to like Tolle, and do actually like a lot of his teachings, but Iíve never been able to shake my first impression of him as being a grifter that doesnít actually believe in what he is saying.

My question to the thread would be: what do yíall think about psychedelics as a Ďshortcutí to enlightenment? It was my curiosity about Buddhism and Daoism that lead me to experiment with psychedelics. I feel I had a good intellectual understanding through meditation about the nature of non-duality but God drat there is such a huge difference between thinking you are the universe and actually experiencing physically and spiritually becoming the universe.

One 15 minute DMT trip completely removed any doubts I had about the true nature of reality and turned my from a committed atheist to someone with zero doubts that the universe is pantheistic and completely divine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

I'm still intrigued by non-dual mindfulness because I am struggling to get there. I wonder if maybe I have experienced it, perhaps it's even common, but because I am not being "amazed" by it, it doesn't stand out. Is that possible that I am merely overlooking it?

Can I ask, it really feels like there are different perspectives within different buddhist school or what not, of the existence of what secularists would call a "metaphysical" world, rainbow body? inter-life reincarnation etc.. are these truths discovered from meditation, or concepts passed down through tradition?

Iíve had a satori experience when completely sober after a particular bout of insomnia and intense meditation. It was one of the most amazing and peaceful experiences Iíve ever had, something I truly believe Iíll remember on my death bed. If I had died that morning I would have been perfectly content with my life and my place in life. It was utter serenity. My psychedelic experience was...not like that. It was utterly loving mind blowing insane. There is just such a difference between an intellectual understanding of nonduality and actually experiencing nonduality. If you had had the experience I donít think itís possible to overlook it.

Iíll stop talking about this if the thread thinks it off topic, but reading the OP he talks about how in Tibetan Buddhism they use Ďmagicí to try and short cut the enlightenment process, so I was curious as to what the Vajrayana tradition made of psychedelics

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Not Buddhist, but Iíve always loved Marcus Aureliusí answer to the question of faith

quote:

You boarded, you set sail, youíve made the passage. Time to disembark. If itís for another life, well thereís nowhere without gods on that side either. If to nothingness, then you no longer have to put up with pain and pleasure, or go dancing attendance on this battered crate, your body - so much inferior to that which serves it. One is mind and spirits, the other Earth and garbage

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Has anyone is this thread read Siddhartha? Personally I loved it but Iím curious what people that are actual Buddhists think, particularly cause the novel seems to point towards a path of personal individual enlightenment as opposed to finding enlightenment through the noble eightfold path