Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

I've been a Christian for along time, but Buddhism is something I feel that's in my heart, and really makes alot of sense to me, even though Ive been treating it as a philosophy. Any help for this confused soul?

Spacegrass fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Legit though it sounds like you have issues with certain parts or underpinnings of christianity. I'm also curious what your experience with buddhism is. Most westerners treat buddhism as a "philosophy" when they first start exploring it myself included but large parts of buddhist philosophy and ideas that are nominally secular require the supernatural aspects in order to make sense imo.

I would figure out what your issues are with Christianity and then figure out what buddhism does differently (or what you think buddhism does differently after I converted I kept comparing buddhist teachings to bible scripture I learned that made me see that scripture in a different light than how the pastors taught it bu stoll made me feel the religions taught many of the same lessons "under the hood") that makes you feel attracted to it. Then I would read some buddhist scripture and teachings and maybe some small practice. Then you could figure out whether you would be best off continuing your current path, reforming your personal christianity to reconcile your issues with it, or just converting.

Well, I've been to prison for a few years and read alot. That's where I discovered Buddhism and Christianity (Islam also).
I'm just so confused because this world is so messed up, and there's tons of christians and the internet is so messed up, it blows my mind because these are real people. I'm going to study some buddism this week, I think I may be on to something. Also, the idea of animals and insects having souls makes no sense unless they screwed up in a previous life. How could a just god do that though.

Spacegrass fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 21, 2020

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Is it ok to be a Buddhist and still believe in Jesus Christ?

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

But the point is, Karma is the reason all those beings became animals.

That's some scary stuff and I've seen animals in a different light this year, I can tell they have souls. I've made ALOT of mistakes in my life and I don't want to be an animal.

Though, sometimes I think our spirits can't change their religion, it's just something our creator (god or gods or even random) made us to be.

Spacegrass fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 24, 2020

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

One thing from a Christian that I know said ; "God could have created a perfect universe, but he chose not to, to make life important". This is the closest thing that I can find for mixing Buddhism with Christianity that makes the most sense to me.

Spacegrass fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 25, 2020

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah there's very little intrinsically preventing anyone from either having a syncretic belief structure or even just finding both valid at the same time. Especially with a view of christianity that is primarily centred around jesus, the two are very compatible even if there would definitely be people from either camp who would probably have some objection. The only place it would maybe be a problem is if someone tried to be a full practicing member/vow taker in both a christian and a buddhist order.

The Mormons make the best sense to me as far as Christanity, (they believe in a male and a female God who created us). Though, but to be a true confirmed Mormon you cannot smoke, drink coffee or drink alcohol so there goes that for me lol. So the syncing is hard for me. But they are very nice people, regardless. Also, you have to be baptized to go to a nice place when you die in their view. I believe in karma strongly, it's just always very confusing.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Do any of you guys remember your past lives?? I just cannot understand how we were all born human by chance. I believe we are all souls in a body. And unless SA is a sacred place; I just cannot grasp it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

I consider myself a non-denominational Christian, it just seems like my only choice now. But I am terrified of the Old Testament because in a way it shows a God that is really f'ing strict. I never went to church as a kid and I never got into religion much till I was about 30. I just hate the Christian way of thinking if you screwed up you're going to hell forever. At least in Buddhism hell isn't forever. And you can get rid of evil karma. Any thoughts on this guys?