Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Hello buddhism-thread.

Can I get some advice about meditation?

I usually sit burmese style, on a zafu, and the leg furthest from me always falls asleep after about 20mins. Is that to be expected or should I work more on my posture? Or alternatively just switch legs when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

Longer answer: if you're a taller person you probably need more elevation below your rear end. Your weight should be distributed between both knees and your rear end evenly. For taller people this is harder: we tend to not get enough elevation under the rear end (it doesn't "look right" and they don't make cushions tall enough), so we rest a lot of our weight on the leg that is tucked under instead of getting our knees low enough. This disrupts the triangle that creates the stable posture, and it also causes the leg to fall asleep. So if you're taller than say 5'8“ try using two cushions beneath your rear end and see if that helps.

I'm actually 6'7" so that's great to know. Thank you.
I already have a folded blanket under my pillow , about 6" high combined. But I'll try with some more height.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Huh, does that mean Keyboard-goop guy was actually some kind of Bodishattva?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I have the same experience. After just 4 months of zazen-ish sitting and focusing on my breath.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Don't think of it as striving for a result. Think of it as engaging in a practice. Some days are going to be harder than others. But you will get better at it if you put in the effort. And starting from scratch is always hard. It takes time.