Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Listen to Cylindricule!
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hi! I just got finished reading through the thread, and am considering reading the previous thread as well because it sounds like there were some interesting discussions therein.

I want to be proactive in following the eightfold path. Since becoming a father, many painful aspects of life have apparently increased in my awareness. Truly fixing myself in the cycle of human birth and death. Recognizing that death will come for my parents in a surprisingly short time. Knowledge that my children are aging and I will never re-experience the beauty or the pain of these moments again. Raising moral beings in a world with such problems. Physical desires and longings that cannot be met. The general fear we all experience.

Obviously some of it is depression, and it makes it hard, it muddies the waters. But reality is what it is, and I want to respond to it in a manner that has the potential to reduce my suffering and the suffering of others around me. Buddhism seems to speak in many of the same terms.

So I may say some stupid things and ask some stupid questions in this thread, if you don't mind. But I wanted to thank the OP for a frank and informative post. I've been looking for some words about Buddhism that are plain speech and not pulling any punches and this seems to really fit, tonally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Listen to Cylindricule!
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nessus posted:

Welcome! It is a real good OP. I think any question is good, and you are clearly past the point of "so what is this about, death worship" or what-not.

It's been a bit of a journey already, probably ~15 years. Had a really influential Buddhist friend and a Buddhist adjunct professor who informed a lot of what I know about Buddhism. I've done a bit of reading in various classes here and there but have consistently shied away from anything that could be considered "spiritual." I'm over that poo poo now, I held on to the idea of spirituality being woo-woo for a long time but it's pretty much the pressure we exert to keep from being crushed by What Is.

Anyhow, words in Buddhism that made only theoretical sense before are starting to take on a very personal clarity. It gives a lot of vocabulary to the pain and pleasure of existence, and the sheer amount of discourse means at least one other person mused over something I'm preoccupied by.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

consulted amitabha and he said these videos will answer your questions and bring enlightenment.

Well that's a fine start!