Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thank you for the awesome post/thread. I like your distilled definitions of the Eightfold Path. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thank you, Paramemetic.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

This doesn’t have a lot to do with Buddhism, but I will say that the New Testament specifically releases believers from a lot of the Old Testament rules and that it may help you to to think of the God of the OT as speaking in a language that the Israelites of that era could understand.

Just as the Buddha spoke using many of the cultural norms and religious framing that was prevalent in his environment.

Just my 2 cents! Plenty of good overlap between these two philosophies in any case.

And as always- Take what it useful and throw the rest out.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Perhaps seeing them as deluded, misled, confused, ill, and suffering will help open up genuine compassion. At least the masses….

Actual manipulative leaders may be more challenging, I would think.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

prom candy posted:

We had to put our dog down somewhat suddenly yesterday. She was quite old (13 and a big dog) and I've known for a long time that since it is in all of our natures to get sick and die that her time was coming. But I'm just a layperson. I was deeply attached to that dog and her absence is causing me a lot of suffering. I know that at this point she has already been reborn and probably as a higher being given what a drat good dog she was (and all the time she spent meditating with me) but I am still here and I'm struggling with a lot of difficult emotions. I'm feeling her absence most of all. I'm feeling guilt for making the decision to euthanize and breaking one of the precepts. I'm feeling guilt and deep regret for the times I was short with her, or the times I could have played with her or showed her love and chose to look at my phone instead, or the times I could have given her an extra treat but didn't because I didn't want to spoil her. I'm feeling worry for my wife who was somehow even closer with the dog than I was. I'm feeling worry for myself like I won't be able to "get back to normal" or cope with everyday life. And then I'm feeling aversion to all these feelings.

When I lost my grandmother in late 2020 I tried to distract myself from grief and push it down and it manifested instead as one of the worst periods of panic and anxiety in my life. In a way it was good and necessary because that led me to renew my interest in Buddhism and in establishing a meditation practice. I am trying to approach my grief mindfully now but I'm having trouble understanding how to navigate this skillfully.

Does anyone have any experiences or resources around navigating grief and loss from a Buddhist perspective?

I don’t know it it will help, but these words of Thich Nhat Hanh helped me:

“The day my mother died, I wrote in my journal, "A serious misfortune of my life has arrived." I suffered for more than one year after the passing away of my mother. But one night, in the highlands of Vietnam, I was sleeping in the hut in my hermitage. I dreamed of my mother. I saw myself sitting with her, and we were having a wonderful talk. She looked young and beautiful, her hair flowing down. It was so pleasant to sit there and talk to her as if she had never died. When I woke up it was about two in the morning, and I felt very strongly that I had never lost my mother. The impression that my mother was still with me was very clear. I understood then that the idea of having lost my mother was just an idea. It was obvious in that moment that my mother is always alive in me.

I opened the door and went outside. The entire hillside was bathed in moonlight. It was a hill covered with tea plants, and my hut was set behind the temple halfway up. Walking slowly in the moonlight through the rows of tea plants, I noticed my mother was still with me. She was the moonlight caressing me as she had done so often, very tenderly, very sweet... wonderful! Each time my feet touched the earth I knew my mother was there with me. I knew this body was not mine along but a living continuation of my mother and father and my grandparents and great-grandparents. Of all my ancestors. These feet that I saw as "my" feet were actually "our" feet. Together my mother and I were leaving footprints in the damp soil.

From that moment on the idea that I had lost my mother no longer existed. All I had to do was look at the palm of my hand, feel the breeze on my face or the earth under my feet to remember that my mother is always with me, available at any time.”

The idea that the actions and impact of a lost love one are still acting through me and others helps me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

prom candy posted:

This is really beautiful, is this from one of his books?

I believe it is from “No Death, No Fear”