Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I did extensive research(about 15 minutes) and ordered a 20lb, 48x72" weighted blanket, and an additional minky washable cover. My wife and I don't really share blankets and I'm tired of bundling up with 2 or 3 and waking up with none, or half of one, or one holey one bunched up around my waste, and God help me if I touch one of HERS. We had a big down comforter but it gets too fuckin hot even in the winter. Thankfully, my wife expresses no interest in this badboy so it's 100% mine.

By the way, I in no way purchased this thing to treat any sort of disorder or condition, I just want a blanket that stays on me and can duplicate the feeling of several blankets with out actually being several blankets. I am depressed as heck though so we'll see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

how many togs is it op?

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Ratjaculation posted:

how many togs is it op?

Great question, what's a tog?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I got a weighted blanket a few weeks ago. It's nice but I'm not sure it actually helps me sleep any better. But I don't always like having multiple big blankets because they get too hot or they get tangled up in each other. I got a 15lb one which felt pretty heavy at first but now I've gotten used to it and it just feels like a regular blanket mostly. I'm just too strong I guess.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

wizardofloneliness posted:

I got a weighted blanket a few weeks ago. It's nice but I'm not sure it actually helps me sleep any better. But I don't always like having multiple big blankets because they get too hot or they get tangled up in each other. I got a 15lb one which felt pretty heavy at first but now I've gotten used to it and it just feels like a regular blanket mostly. I'm just too strong I guess.

This was my concern, as well as a friend whom reported 15 was too light, whom also now stacks an 18 pounder on top, so that's why I went 20. I sleep like a rock, but will usually wake up cold or annoyed with the blanketry, due to my endless shifting. TBH I'm looking forward to the weight possibly holding me in position.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I've never heard of this, what is the supposed benefit?

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
My son won't sleep without one, but he's moderately autistic. He seems to like his a lot.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

From what I hear it's supposed to simulate a nice comforting hug to make up for all the people in your life who would never hug you.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

My wife asked for one for Christmas. She hasn't opened it yet.

But somehow it's supposed to help people who don't sleep well due to tossing and turning from anxiety/bad dreams/whatever. To me it sounds like a bunch of "woo" bullshit, but it's what she asked for, so :shrug:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
iunno about the hug thing but it sure does help me sleep better, like that feeling of trying to keep warm in a real cold room so you just pile on blankets, that kinda C O M F Y

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
Re: goons who wake up in twisted blankets

Are you actually rotisserie chickens

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I see you've finally taken off your weighted training blanket.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Docahedron posted:

Re: goons who wake up in twisted blankets

Are you actually rotisserie chickens

Brined and dripping juices all night long.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Is it possible to purchase a weighted blanket and not post about it on the Internet?

I ask because you are just the latest in a long, long line of people posting about buying weighted blankets.

Edit: I typically only sleep with a single thin sheet on top of me, and that's because I don't feel like sleeping with absolutely nothing on.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Some autistic people find pressure to be comforting or calming, hence all those "hug machine" or other weighted things that are marketed towards autistic kids. I heard they're used for prisoners too, but I can't imagine the American prison system bothering to shell out for these things.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
This thread was done before. By me. Stealer.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

interwhat posted:

By the way, I in no way purchased this thing to treat any sort of disorder or condition

Stop appropriating autistic culture.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

interwhat posted:

Great question, what's a tog?

buying a blanket without doing the appropriate tog research is an disgrace and you should be ashamed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tog_(unit)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
They’re full of thousands of micro pellets of glass or plastic. Stitched into squares

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

RE weight: it's supposed to be as a percentage of body weight (5-10%). You don't want to overdo it, especially if you're a side sleeper because it can put a lot of pressure on your joints while you're sleeping and you'll feel like poo poo after a few nights.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I sleep under a thick layer of garbage that is naturally heavy (some of it comes from the machine shop next to my shed) more people should try to use locally sourced alternatives imo

Wutang-Yutani
Nov 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My wife bought one for some god drat reason.
I found it incredibly uncomfortable.
Same as all the stupid bamboo pillows and memory foam mattress toppers etc
Dumb poo poo to part idiots with their money.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The weight from the blanket is going to hinder your breathing you’re effectively giving yourself artificial sleep apnea

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I sleep under the lightest gossamer blanket, almost like a curtain, it feels so good on my naked body

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

I just can't fall asleep unless I'm getting pressed under a board and some dude is piling rocks on the board and demanding that I confess.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
what if instead you made your bed every day and tucked yourself in at night
or just used 2 blankets (having an afghan is good for fine-tuning how warm you want to be)

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Burt Sexual posted:

This thread was done before. By me. Stealer.

Musta missed it between all the shitposts ayyyyyyy one love though.

I got the one with glass beads since they are heavier, and should be smaller than plastic.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Three Olives posted:

Stop appropriating autistic culture.

Not sure if this was intended to be humourous of not, but given the poster...

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just get a sleeping bag :smugbert:

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

gary oldmans diary posted:

what if instead you made your bed every day and tucked yourself in at night
or just used 2 blankets (having an afghan is good for fine-tuning how warm you want to be)

I HATE afghans. They are always too small, rough, and my fingers get caught in the holes, which triggers my fear of netting

Edit: good thing no future employer would ever run a bachground check on me. That first sentence is rough, yeesh

interwhat fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 16, 2020

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just get a sleeping bag :smugbert:
sleeping bags that zip together to make a giant sleeping bag are awesome

interwhat posted:

I HATE afghans.
racism

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

kimihia posted:

Is it possible to purchase a weighted blanket and not post about it on the Internet?

I ask because you are just the latest in a long, long line of people posting about buying weighted blankets.

Edit: I typically only sleep with a single thin sheet on top of me, and that's because I don't feel like sleeping with absolutely nothing on.

You're confusing Facebook with the internet I think. I don't really believe Burt posted about it, but I can't remember a gbs weighted blanket thread so I seized the opportunity

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have one. It's kind of cool but sometimes in the middle of the night you grab it and try to roll over with it and it tries to wrench your arm our of the socket. Also, over time all the weighted beads migrate to the outer edges and its less of a blanket and more of a weighted net.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Got used to sleeping without a blanket. Solves many problems, can only recommend.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I love the feeling of sheets & comforters piled on me for warmth in a cool room. It feels great when I roll myself into a cozy burrito.

Problem is my wife feels the same way. We compromise by each having our own set of blankets so we can both burrito up and make like a 2 for 1 special at your favorite Mexican joint.

Anyway imma ask her if she thinks weighted blankets are dumb or not.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
My favorite part of going to the dentist is getting x-rays, because they put that lead blanket on you and it's so comfy

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Wutang-Yutani posted:

My wife bought one for some god drat reason.
I found it incredibly uncomfortable.
Same as all the stupid bamboo pillows and memory foam mattress toppers etc
Dumb poo poo to part idiots with their money.

The memory foam toppers are good for a guest bed/ pullout sofa to add a bit of padding. I have an Ikea FRIHETEN foldout sofa and its a nice place to sleep with the foam topper on it. Its a convenient solution because the topper rolls up and fits under the whole thing when its in its sofa configuration. Now, my office easily converts into a comfortable second bedroom. My aging parents both slept on it for a month with no complaints.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I've thought about weighted blankets but on the other hand, I have a 15 pound cat who has no concept of personal space so he'll crawl on top of me and sleep.

My wife does yell at me for stealing blankets in the middle of the night though

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Seems a lot like the swaddles and various restraints that you use to keep babies from startling themselves awake. Are you baby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

From what I hear it's supposed to simulate a nice comforting hug to make up for all the people in your life who would never hug you.

Gonna need a verrrrry heavy blanket then.

Pair one of these bad boys up with a Japanese body pillow, and I'll finally know a moment of simulated happiness maybe.