Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tonight is NXT Takeover, and the law of averages says EVENTUALLY there must be a bad Takeover Show... but it won't be tonight, because the card is really loving good. It's on the WWE Network at 7pm EST, kickoff show (probably completely superfluous and missable) at 6:30. You can sign up (and immediately cancel) for a free month of the WWE Network if you don't want to give the monstrous parent company any money, in fact if you did that for the Royal Rumble at the end of last month then you probably still have a free month going.

Finn Balor vs. Johnny Gargano:
Finn Balor returned from the main roster to NXT which technically is a demotion but has lead to him getting to be super cool Finn Balor kicking rear end in incredible matches again. He legitimately gave Johnny Gargano an (accidental) serious neck injury early in his return, and this has served as the basis for their feud. Gargano has mocked Balor returning to NXT after being so eager to get to the main roster where he "failed", while Gargano himself has insisted that NXT is what he considers his home and he has no desire to leave. The two are basically fighting over which one of them gets to be the "face" of NXT, all of which is secondary to the fact that they're incredible wrestlers and they're gonna have one hell of a match. Also between the two of them they have like 16 abs (a 0.7 on the PAC scale).

Dakota Kai vs. Tegan Nox:
This SHOULD have been a big deal match, but it has been undercut somewhat by the two being simultaneously involved in the Royal Rumble but not actually interacting, and Nox winning a completely ordinary singles match against Dakota Kai that happened with zero fanfare instead of being the heated war that this match is finally promising to be. The basic story is that Dakota Kai felt snubbed by the rest of the women's division when Rhea Ripley was putting together a War Games team, and took out her aggression in a heel turn against best friend Tegan Nox, who herself has often been sidelined by horrific bad luck causing awful injuries. Now the two are facing off in a Street Fight, which seems appropriate, but this should have been their first singles match since the heel turn/Nox's return. Hopefully this match is good enough to make people forget about that.

Keith Lee (C) vs. Dominik Dijakovic for the NXT North American Championship:
These two big beefy boys have beaten the poo poo out of each other in numerous matches before, with both getting wins but also No Contests and Double Countouts. Now Dijakovic sees a chance to finally beat Keith Lee once and for all AND become NXT North American Champion, while Lee sees a chance to finish Dominik off for good at last and move on to something else. You don't need any more than this, it's two great big dudes who are gonna go a-clubbering on each other.

The Undisputed Era (C) vs. The Brozerweights for the NXT Tag Team Titles:
Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly are a fantastic tag team. Matt Riddle and Pete Dunne are an odd couple duo who won the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic and have parlayed that into a title match. Match is gonna loving rule.

Rhea Ripley (C) vs. Bianca Belair for the NXT Women's Championship:
The story of this match is that Bianca is incensed that she is being overlooked as Rhea prepares for a Wrestlemania title match against Charlotte Flair. Rhea insists she's fully aware of Bianca but intends to go through her, but Bianca is pissed off, looking to prove she's not just another body to add to Rhea's count, AND wants a measure of revenge for Charlotte derailing her excellent performance in the Royal Rumble. The promos between these two haven't really set the world on fire, but both are good wrestlers and Bianca in particular has something to prove and has enormous potential. It might be too soon for Rhea to lose the belt and so it's easy to consider this a fait accompli, which may be partly why this match doesn't really feel like it has the heat behind it that others do, and it probably won't have the insane in-ring quality that other matches on the card will be using to make up for threadbare stories. But that also means this match can't really disappoint, and may end up over-delivering. Maybe.

Adam Cole (C) vs. Tommaso Ciampa for the NXT Men's Championship:
Cole is looking to cement his legacy as he tries to become the longest-reigning NXT Champion of all time, needing only roughly a month more to pass Adrian Neville and Finn Balor's reigns. But standing in the way is Tommaso Ciampa, who despite being a face again is still insanely obsessed with "goldie". As he has mentioned many times, he was never beaten for the title, he had to hand it over when his neck injury was worsened by a completely pointless and actively storyline damaging temporary call-up to the main roster to do double-duty. Cole is sick of hearing that, and insists that not only will he retain the title tonight, but he will beat Ciampa decisively to put to bed forever the shadow always looming over his title reign that he never beat Ciampa for the belt. This match is probably going to be absolutely loving incredible.

There's a pre-show at 6:30, nothing will happen on it, you probably won't get anything out of watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

there's a Takeover tonight? I mean w/e, my sleep pattern is hosed up anyway

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Normally they're on Saturday's so yeah this is a bit out of the ordinary, turns out my schedules got flipped and I would have been too busy to watch yesterday anyway, so it worked out okay for me. Show is gonna be good.

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!
Mansoor doing very well as a host in the pre-show panel.

Kind of wondering why they’re not doing more with him with all the big spots they’ve shoe-horned him into.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

Kind of wondering why they’re not doing more with him with all the big spots they’ve shoe-horned him into.

It's because he's kind of a massive dickhead in real life.

Also Rhea is such an ungodly terrible promo.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

This is a very good role for him so far, hes making this way more fun than it should be

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Huh, I would've had no idea there was an NXT show on a Sunday. Glad I saw this thread because it gives me something to toss on while I clean out the closet and desk in my office.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
God I'm more hyped about the Keith Lee match than any of the others; Keith/Dijan had some really good NXT matches back when I watched NXT a few times

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

yes i am here entirely for the large men blowoff

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
lmao ciampa and the fiend both did a sign a contract in blood spot and ciampa was way cooler and much more organic looking

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Doing the pre-show on the ramp is so weird for NXT... can they really not throw them at a desk?

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

wow portland is really hot for the guy that does the bad anti-semitic hands thing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is Poppy still a thing or has her career reached the point where she has no choice but do NXT shows now?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Jerusalem posted:

Is Poppy still a thing or has her career reached the point where she has no choice but do NXT shows now?

She's still a thing. She is just a huge NXT fan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

lmao ciampa and the fiend both did a sign a contract in blood spot and ciampa was way cooler and much more organic looking

Ciampa's was organic. It was an accident.

DarkstarIV posted:

It's because he's kind of a massive dickhead in real life.

Yeah but what in the entire history of the WWE has you thinking that matters?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but what in the entire history of the WWE has you thinking that matters?

Probably because he's done it in a public facing manner. Would not be shocked if the only reason he's employed is because of the Saudi Blood Money deals.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
the NXT house style is absolute poo poo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Huh, so the freedom to improvise instead of micro-managing every single micro-second of every show can have.... GOOD results? This could change pro-wrestling as we know it!

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Godspeed to whoever follows this match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BIG BOY BEEF TIME :hellyeah:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
BASK IN HIS GLORY

FOR HE IS LIMITLESS

WHO IS HE

WHO'S THAT CHAMP I SEE

RHETORICAL QUESTION

THE ANSWER

KEITH LEE

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I didn't realize this started on the half hour. Did I miss a match?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

NXT kicks rear end

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Dango Bango posted:

No. Just the pre-show which didn't have any matches.

d8uv
Sep 17, 2005

DO NOT EAT
Grimey Drawer

Dango Bango posted:

no, just the preshow where sam roberts got heat, and they paired him with monsoor to give him instant easy pops prior to blood money

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

im surprised that there wasnt a match on the preshow. the only takeover with 6 matches i can remember was the one where matt riddle squashed kassius ohno and it wasn't announced

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Already owns

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Huh, so turns out Keith Lee loving rules. Who knew?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Did Dijakovic land on his shoulders/neck on the apron there? :gonk:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

big meaty men slappin meat

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Give Keith Lee every belt on the planet

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Abroham Lincoln posted:

big meaty men slappin meat

I legit listen to that clip regularly. It makes me laugh every time. :allears:

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
This is probably like Vince's dream match right now. Two big men beating the hell out of each other and the crowd actually being invested. :vince:

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

MEATTTTTT

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Dear WWE: Please cancel 205 Live and launch 305 Live in its place.

XOXO,

DarkstarIV

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hirez posted:

Give Keith Lee every belt on the planet

If we don't give, he WILL take.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
There is absolutely nothing interesting about Dijakovic; give him a pants-making GBS threads gimmick or something

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Needs more hoss

e: Thanks Dijakovic

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

these guys firing judas effects like they're going out of style!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

I want Keith Lee to do a buckshot lariat sooooooooo bad