Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

RoboRodent posted:

Man, you ever look at someone's username and just wish you had been that clever when you registered?

Constantly. We've got some good ones.

"We" as in the forums, not you and me specifically

Dagen H has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Jul 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Dagen H posted:

Hell, even my non-goon husband sees things over my shoulder and says "that's a good username" because he knows it's a constant source of amusement for me. 'Course, he also plays DC Universe Online, and takes great pride in making ridiculous superhero characters like Fantastic Foreskin, Broccoli Amadeus (has plant powers and looks 80's af), Trash Gordon (shield is a garbage can lid, weapon is a board with some nails in it), etc.

Sigh. One day I'll get him to reg over here.

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Jul 19, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Trash gordon is great name for someone with terrible posts.

Mods?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Lawen posted:

tsundoku - the practice of buying a pile of books and then not getting around to reading them

My samurai warlord: You have brought shame upon your clan. Go home and commit tsundoku.

Me: Wayyy ahead of you, pal.

(I really will read them all some day. I swear.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Earlier I posted about latin locum meaning "the place" but having become a euphemism for "toilet" in Denmark so I wanna to add to that. I keep coming across a specific usage in older real estate deeds (say until 1750 or so). They'll specify the building, construction, size, etc and then carefully mention that it has an "aparte locum".

So we already know that locum means toilet. Aparte literally means "off to the side" which makes sense for an outhouse, but in Danish it is only now used in the figurative sense (like "he's a lil bit out there"): Hence, "a weird/strange toilet"

I'm really into innocuous words becoming something else.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Aug 21, 2020

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Lawen posted:

pilkunnussija - (Finnish) literally, "a comma fucker" -- someone who feels the need to point out/correct all spelling or grammar mistakes

this one rules so much. i like it way more than “grammar nazi”

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dagen H posted:

I still think "FYADor Postoyevski" is king, despite being so niche that it can't be told to anyone outside SA it's such a good one, although there's also poster over in C-SPAM who has "Francis Fukyomama".

...basically I'm a sucker for dunking on writers is the point I'm making here

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Just remembered a thing I forgot to mention re (my emphasis for context):

Groke posted:

We have a similar case in Norwegian. Way back when the Hanseatic League was a thing and had major influence here, we picked up a German euphemism, "das Häuschen", i.e. "the little house". (Outhouses were the only toilets back then.) Fast-forward a few hundred years and we got indoor plumbing, lost the noun, only kept the definite article and forgot about the euphemism part; now "dass" is a dirty/rude term for toilet (not as bad as "shithouse" but still kind of rude).

We have that too in Denmark, but for some reason it's pronounced as an "Open front unrounded vowel" (like "hat" in a regular American accent)* instead of an "Open back unrounded vowel" (like "far" in same) as it would be in German.

Anyway the weird thing is we all speak kinda German so why did the A-sound shift? i dunno, but i bet theres a story behind it :raise:

* these are the wikipedia terms i found, live with it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also just wanna say hell yea to this

Jestery posted:

I work in a highschool as an educational interpreter so my day to day varies from assisting a teacher plasma cutting sheet metal and instructing students in tapping a thread period one to interpreting about the Rwandan genocide period two. Then agriculture class with straight up gardening with scientific nitrogen testing and finishing off with math class with the autistic kids who grok the literal but need the abstract made concrete

I love my job so dang much

that is kickin rad

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Fell into a Wikipedia hole and stumbled on this mouthful: henohenomoheji

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henohenomoheji

I like it because: it's a word, used to describe a particular image that's built out of that's language's characters, and the word itself is a conglomeration of said characters. I can't think of anything else like it. It's like if English speakers called a smiley face a "colonparenthesis".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

there's a danish nursery rhyme that starts: "punktum punktum komma streg, sådan tegnes Nikolaj" which means "period period comma line, that's how you draw Nikolaj". i dunno how far it goes back, but its more than 40 years so its not a smiley at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN0tMRw-WPM

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Fell into a Wikipedia hole and stumbled on this mouthful: henohenomoheji

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henohenomoheji

I like it because: it's a word, used to describe a particular image that's built out of that's language's characters, and the word itself is a conglomeration of said characters. I can't think of anything else like it. It's like if English speakers called a smiley face a "colonparenthesis".

i’ve been trying to teach myself japanese lately, this is so cool. definitely going to draw this lil guy to nail those characters.

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
Droll apparently means the opposite of what I thought it meant. I think I've been reading people use it sarcastically.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/droll

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Another good one I just remembered, and one I discovered on these here forums!

churnalist/churnalism

From the context of the post I read, I thought it meant the trend of listicles --- clickbait crap that was just churned out. But apparently it goes a little deeper and is older than my reg date:

quote:

Churnalism is a pejorative term for a form of journalism in which press releases, stories provided by news agencies, and other forms of pre-packaged material, instead of reported news, are used to create articles in newspapers and other news media.

So from the news-consumer end, it's when you hear an interesting news fact/story, do a search for it, and every goddamn news outlet runs the same story, word for word. (Side-note: this infuriates me.) Because it's quicker, easier, and cheaper to just copy/paste a press release than to pay a real journalist to gather facts and write a story that might be, y'know, actual news. (Additional note: this also infuriates me.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churnalism

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

u sp33k l33t br0 posted:

Droll apparently means the opposite of what I thought it meant. I think I've been reading people use it sarcastically.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/droll

I’ve seen a ton of people think it’s a fancy word for dull and it drives me nuts. I’m not sure where that came from, maybe because they both start with d and end with “Ll”?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Probably not exactly news to people other than me, but for the longest time I have thought "whelmed" was just a twee way for internet users to express that they aren't particularly disappointed nor excited. It turns out "whelmed" is in fact a real word and not a creation of retroactive linguistics and it means exactly that. I don't know why I never considered this.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Probably not exactly news to people other than me, but for the longest time I have thought "whelmed" was just a twee way for internet users to express that they aren't particularly disappointed nor excited. It turns out "whelmed" is in fact a real word and not a creation of retroactive linguistics and it means exactly that. I don't know why I never considered this.

Welp, add that one to my new words learned. There was a recent TV show... poo poo, I can't remember if it was Legends of Tomorrow or Doom Patrol or what. Anyways, one of the characters says they're "whelmed" by something, and then other characters start picking it up and using it in subsequent episodes. I thought it was just a funny on-going joke --- but for all we know, maybe the writer was in the same boat* as you and I were, and only thought they were making a clever joke, not realizing it is a legit word?!

Next I'll find out that one can actually be gruntled, not just disgruntled.

*edit: now it gets even crazier because I said "in the same boat," and apparently the term originates from a nautical term of waves sloshing into a boat/ship. Whelmed meant "man, these waves are smushing into the helm"; overwhelmed meant "man, these waves are loving some poo poo up, coming over the helm".

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Aug 28, 2020

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CJacobs posted:

this is very confusing to me. are you pulling a jerry?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Just being droll

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve seen a ton of people think it’s a fancy word for dull and it drives me nuts. I’m not sure where that came from, maybe because they both start with d and end with “Ll”?

Also, like sp33k l33t, I only ever really see it used sarcastically. Like, someone tells a bad joke, and then the Stuffy rear end in a top hat Butler goes, "Ah. How droll." If you only ever heard it through context, you might come to the conclusion that it meant "unfunny" or "boring".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phy posted:

Also, like sp33k l33t, I only ever really see it used sarcastically. Like, someone tells a bad joke, and then the Stuffy rear end in a top hat Butler goes, "Ah. How droll." If you only ever heard it through context, you might come to the conclusion that it meant "unfunny" or "boring".

I think like 90 percent of the proper/nonsarcastic usage in the last decade has been in the descriptions of comedy specials on Netflix so you two may be right there.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

CJacobs posted:

Related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhUJe3vkLIs

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Phy posted:

I think like 90 percent of the proper/nonsarcastic usage in the last decade has been in the descriptions of comedy specials on Netflix so you two may be right there.

You're all wrong, it came from Daffy Duck: https://dai.ly/x5k1kuf

At 3:30 in, he uses it sarcastically, and it's the only time 99% of the audience ever heard the word.

Same thing happened with Elmer Fudd and the name Nimrod

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

petrichor: the smell of the first rain after a stretch of warm and dry weather

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

queserasera posted:

petrichor: the smell of the first rain after a stretch of warm and dry weather

Similarly, vellichor: the strange wistfulness of secondhand bookshops

(I just realized that this word and probably several others that I posted upthread are from The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows which is great but aren’t yet “real” words. Some, including vellichor, seem to be spreading though and that’s pretty much all that it takes for a word to become “real”.)

Edit:
Some more words from the Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows that I really like:
sonder - the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own (probably the most successful of the obscure sorrow words. There's a good argument to be made that this one has already turned into a "real" word)
monachopsis - the subtle but persistent feeling of being out of place
opia - the ambiguous intensity of looking someone directly in the eye, which can feel both invasive and vulnerable
vemödalen - the frustration of photographic something amazing when thousands of identical photos already exist
chrysalism - the amniotic tranquility of being indoors during a thunderstorm
jouska - a hypothetical conversation that you compulsively play out in your head
kenopsia - the eerie, forlorn atmosphere of a place that’s usually bustling with people but is now abandoned and quiet
occhiolism - the awareness of the smallness of your perspective, by which you couldn’t possibly draw any meaningful conclusions at all about the world
exulansis - the tendency to give up trying to talk about an experience because people are unable to relate to it
kuebiko - a state of exhaustion inspired by acts of senseless violence, which force you to revise your image of what can happen in this world
ellipsism - sadness that you’ll never be able to know how history will turn out

Lawen has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Sep 12, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RoboRodent posted:

Man, you ever look at someone's username and just wish you had been that clever when you registered?

Nope.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
An interesting Colombian idiom I learned a while back: papaya dada, papaya partida. "Papaya given, papaya parted with/taken". In other words, if you don't guard what is precious to you, you might as well say goodbye to it.

Another interesting thing about Spanish is the phrase cada ocho dìas, "every eight days", to mean once a week. I've had discussions with spanish speakers where I opine that that really only makes sense if you count the same day twice but :shrug: it works.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Welp, can't talk about how many days are in a week without posting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

I also love little sayings like the papaya one. I'm trying to think of some that are US-centric, but I feel like they've all bled out to the world through movies/etc

vvv: Of course, but I was talking about just phrases or sayings in general for the non-US goons in the thread. First that came to mind is "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Sep 14, 2020

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

“easy come easy go” or “a fool and his money are soon parted” seem close-ish

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Being American it's hard to tell what has and hasn't been homogenized into the English-speaking world. What about such phrases as "shoot the breeze", "stick to your guns", or "chew the fat"?

Speaking of idioms, there are quite a few in Japanese related to cats. Someone who has a "cat's tongue" has trouble eating hot food or drink. If you're desperate for help from any source you "want to borrow a cat's hand". A very small portion of something is "a cat's forehead". To "wear a cat" is to conceal your bad side. There are actually many more cat idioms, but these are among the most common.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've long been a fan of the Polish "Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy." "Not my circus, not my monkeys." I don't speak a lick of Polish but I like a good simian idiom.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
My sign language doesn't quite have idioms the same way as a lot of spoken word does.

But it does.have some very compact signs that are sentences or phrases in English

"Not my problem"
http://www.auslan.org.au/dictionary/words/not%20responsible-1.html

"just in case"
http://www.auslan.org.au/dictionary/words/in%20case-1.html

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Another interesting thing about Spanish is the phrase cada ocho dìas, "every eight days", to mean once a week. I've had discussions with spanish speakers where I opine that that really only makes sense if you count the same day twice but :shrug: it works.

I've seen this in historical Danish records, for example an entry in the probate court protocol dated Tuesday, November 12, 1805 will say that the proceedings are postponed for 8 days, which means they are resumed on Tuesday, November 19, 1805.

I guess including the current day was the norm for "in a week" in olden times. Strangely, a two week delay is referred to as 14 days :shrug:

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Sep 15, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Phy posted:

I've long been a fan of the Polish "Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy." "Not my circus, not my monkeys." I don't speak a lick of Polish but I like a good simian idiom.

Huh, is that Polish in origin? I learned that one a few years back in the US, though as "not my monkey, not my circus". Just used it yesterday at work to describe something I wasnt worried about since I'm off today and tomorrow, and it was gonna be some other poor sap's problem.

Jestery: does Aussie SL have a sign for Trump? I saw somewhere that in ASL you put your hand flat on your head, palm down, fingers forward, and flap it up and down. Like his hair.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Umpire Tom Hallion singlehandedly brought "in the jackpot" back (at least into baseball/Mets fan vernacular), which, as far as I can tell, basically means "in trouble". He said that his rear end would be in the jackpot if he didn't eject Noah Syndergaard & Terry Collins for throwing at Chase Utley.

The phrase seems to have slavery-related origins, which is certainly a bad thing, but I feel like this is far from the only expression that does, so I'm not TOO worried even though I'm a little worried.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Jestery: does Aussie SL have a sign for Trump? I saw somewhere that in ASL you put your hand flat on your head, palm down, fingers forward, and flap it up and down. Like his hair.

Pretty much the same over here , couldn't describe it better myself

Edit: I did a little research on it as one might

Our one is more like this

The yanks sign it more this this is seems

Subtle differences, and definitely gesturing at the same thing

Jestery has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Sep 16, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jestery posted:

Pretty much the same over here , couldn't describe it better myself

Edit: I did a little research on it as one might

Our one is more like this

The yanks sign it more this this is seems

Subtle differences, and definitely gesturing at the same thing

The Aussie one could work for Hitler too.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
While true on a mechanical level

The Aussie one is a full on two finger moustache and sieg heil

I've been in the situation where Hitler comes up and having an entirely valid reason to sieg heil in a state run school multiple times is a real mind trip

The way the language works too, to show "Hitler" the person

It's like

SIEG HEIL-PERSON ,YOU KNOW - H-I-T-L-E-R

Jestery has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Sep 17, 2020

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I love the Trump and Hitler sign language things, because it's perfectly intelligible without knowing any sign language. It's charades.

"Who?"

"You know, that guy" *gestures to resemble a parody of that guy*

"Oh yeah, that guy."

What other famous people are named in sign language by doing charades? I feel like you could only do this for visibly iconic famous people??

I am clumsily googling since I don't know the actual term for what it is I am looking for.

Ah, Jesus is another one. You tap each of your wrists. You know, that guy that got nailed to a cross? Yeah, that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
There is a politician here who climbed the political ladder rather quickly and I've seen "back stabber" as their sign name

Madonna is another one here, you sort of draw your hands out to a point from your breast to show the pointed bra

Sylvester Stallone has you pushing you top lip left and your bottom lip right

Arnold Schwarzenegger corrupts the sign for Austria and like, gives the country big muscles (?)

Marylin Monroe, obviously

Elvis Presley, while not a sign so to say, does have a colloquial little shuffle thing linked with him

The Deaf think strongly in iconography so it tracks that iconic and exaggerated actions become strongly linked with their respective people

Jestery has a new favorite as of 05:17 on Sep 17, 2020