Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't know what the hell this movie is, but I said I could do the OP's job, and dammit, that's what I'm going to do.

The old OP failed to mention this was movie was produced by 20th Century Fox. This mean Fox released both this and Star Wars in the same year. This is about regular-rear end wizards (1977) though and not space wizards.

I think. I've never watched this movie, I don't know anything about it, but I assume Wizards (1977) and Star Wars (1977) are the same thing but one's in space. So I guess this should be in the Star Wars forum but gently caress it.

The OP was very excited about this being a Ralph Bakshi film, but me, a layman, have no idea what a Ralph Bakshi is. That means I'm going to give an unfiltered, unbiased analysis of this movie, so you better be loving prepared.

The original screenshot only had "WIZARDS", but I felt it'd be better to eliminate confusion and clarify that, indeed, this is Wizards (1977) and not The Wizard (1989). Many people in the original thread made that mistake, so it's my duty to make things clear that, no, sadly Fred Savage does not show up in this movie. If there's enough requests, though, I can photoshop Fred Savage into some screenshots and have him say, "That's Wizard!"

I'm not going to show all the credits, but most of them are relevant as far as me talking poo poo about them. For instance, this lets us know there's someone named "Avatar". As someone coming into this completely blind, "Avatar" seems like a really stupid loving name, but then I'm coming into this from a person living in the year 2020, when the concept of an avatar has been run into the ground thanks to lazy video games and other media. I'm sure the whole concept worked much better in 1977, when there weren't blue bow-wielding gently caress creatures or Elder Scrolls abominations to associate the word with.

Do note I have never watched Avatar: The Last Airbender. I have my hands full enough with Wizards (1977)!

There's a character called Weehawk. I can already tell this is going to be either very good or very bad, there's no middle ground with this movie.

I know, this is unrelated to the actual movie, but come the gently caress on, the man's name is Mike Ploog.

This seems redundant with the "A Ralph Bakshi Film" opening card, but if you wrote, directed, and produced your movie, gently caress it, give yourself two credits. You've earned it.

-----

Anyway, this is only the OP. We're not going to actually get into the movie yet. It took long enough to write this thing up! I'll start the actual movie later maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Shelf butt faerie would be a pretty good username.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

hell yea buckling in for the ride

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Unsubscribed

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
WHIIIIIIIZARRRRRRRRRRD

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Nice

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

oh yah ive seen this one its hosed lol

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
I saw this movie when I was a kid and I found it disturbing. This is from someone who loved the surprisingly graphic Watership Down, so despite my vague memory of Wizards, I would trust my childhood opinion that it was in fact disturbing. Not the kind of delightful fantasy one would expect from a film with this title.

Big time spoilers ahead.

Some of the characters find some ancient film reels or something about Hitler / the Nazis and get INSPIRED! They start adopting some of their philosophies or tactics. Swastikas, too...?.

I already knew what the Holocaust was, so this development in the story just horrified me. Maybe it is something that would have been more meaningful to adults as a look into human nature or a political satire, but I was just shocked that the film took this turn. Nazis? In MY elf cartoon?

I never had the desire to watch it again to figure out if I had missed something about this when I was a kid. Anyone who enjoyed this movie, feel free to share what you liked about it, because it made little me quite uncomfortable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
just for the sake of edification, Ralph Bakshi is a pretty much legendary animation director who's almost singlehandedly responsible for adult animation existing, as a concept, in the West

Wizards isn't his most historically important movie, that'd be either Fritz the Cat or Coonskin, but it's probably one of his best

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also re the Nazi thing, Wizards is very very bluntly antifa as gently caress and has the villains be literal Nazis to drive that home, you'd probably be less uncomfortable as an adult

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
Cool.

green chicken feet posted:

Anyone who enjoyed this movie, feel free to share what you liked about it, because it made little me quite uncomfortable.

This movie is balls-out crazy. And it drives home the fact that ideas and motivations can be poison, and that the sins of the past can haunt reality forever if they aren't properly warned against. Plus, I can't think of a more effective strategy to drive home how evil the bad guy is than to make him Hitler 2.0.

My favorite part is the guy screaming about how his buddy was killed by stinkin' yellow faeries, and then the supposedly-dead dude gets up and tries to calm the hysterical soldier, and in his disappointment the theatrical guy shoots the guy who he thought was dead, and then he gets to have his monologue again!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
This movie's comic timing is the pits, like it has characters do jokes but they just stand there and deliver the lines with no acting or animation matching it. It feels super amateurish and incompetent.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Is this another thread about Pick

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

dog food stalls
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also re the Nazi thing, Wizards is very very bluntly antifa as gently caress and has the villains be literal Nazis to drive that home, you'd probably be less uncomfortable as an adult

Actually it sounds like I now might appreciate the movie a lot more. There's no way I could have picked up on the anti-fascist message.

Little me was too busy being freaked out. I was legitilmately afraid that Nazis would arise in the US someday and try to pick up where Hitler left off.

Now... We approach that point more quickly than I'd have thought possible. After a long time of being politically blase, 2016 was a wake-up call for me as for many. I'm really excited about the primaries and election.

Hey everyone in the USA, get out there and vote, because it's on us if we don't!

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

dog food stalls
Grimey Drawer

Obsidianheart posted:

...it drives home the fact that ideas and motivations can be poison, and that the sins of the past can haunt reality forever if they aren't properly warned against.

Yeah, I can safely say that as an elementary school kid I didn't pick up on this.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think it's kind of hosed up how he made the people born physically deformed be the nazis but other than that it's got good messaging on the dangers of fash propaganda.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Hey everyone in the USA, get out there and vote, because it's on us if we don't!

what is this im seeing here, can someone tell me

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

comedyblissoption posted:

this is scab labor and smdh at anyone who crosses the picket line to take a gander at Mega64's scab posting

noooooo scaaaaabs

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

super sweet best pal posted:

I think it's kind of hosed up how he made the people born physically deformed be the nazis but other than that it's got good messaging on the dangers of fash propaganda.

Just lol if you don't think that elf's ears are deformed. Or the fairy's chest.

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

dog food stalls
Grimey Drawer

free hubcaps posted:

what is this im seeing here, can someone tell me

Tying into the concept of preventing fascism - we need to get out there and vote our conscience. Or we're partially to blame, too

Just spreading my own Rock the Vote message I guess. Wizards chat may now resume :)

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Movie is dumb and inscrutable even for you elder goons who were around when it was released because it’s just drug ideas

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
imagine thinking Wizards has a message other than Ralph fuckin' loves drugs and wanted LOTR so bad

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
why does a fantasy / post-apocalypse movie use the generic cyber computer font for its title-cards?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Heavy Metal is superior in every single way and even he admitted it by doing Fire & Ice

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Klyith posted:

why does a fantasy / post-apocalypse movie use the generic cyber computer font for its title-cards?

It looked futuristic back then.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Ralph had it, and then he didn't. it's hard out here for a rotoscoper.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Klyith posted:

it's a good font

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I was going to start the actual movie last night but I was more tired than I thought so I'll start on that this afternoon.

Based on this thread's comments so far, I'm in for a hell of a ride!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Calling Wizard Master.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Bobcats posted:

Movie is dumb and inscrutable even for you elder goons who were around when it was released because it’s just drug ideas

Million Ghosts posted:

imagine thinking Wizards has a message other than Ralph fuckin' loves drugs and wanted LOTR so bad

LoL maybe try watching the movie with your glasses on and the sound turned up next time!

The movie is about the drive for control and the horrors of war. The Nazi propaganda footage is so powerful that it emboldens the Nazi Orcs, and the carnage is so terrible that the elves and faeries literally cannot comprehend what’s happening, the excessive violence break their brains. In a world of scimitars and arrows, things like tanks and bombs are so far beyond the scope of their experience that they are left helpless in the wake of their fear.

It’s also a powerful treatise on how the notion of peace is a farce. There is not, and cannot be, a peaceful reconciliation with a violent oppressor. It doesn’t matter what you read, or watch, or believe in. If someone wants to control you, to make you their slave and their toy, you aren’t getting out of that scenario with peace and fancy words, you are doing it by breaking their neck.

Violence begets violence, but violence is also the answer.

Also who cares if it’s a drug movie, lots of good movies are drug movies.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

If you were serious about preventing fascism in America, you'd tell people to outright vote for left wing candidates because the republicans will support Trump no matter what, the impeachment trial was proof of that.

This guy gets it:

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s also a powerful treatise on how the notion of peace is a farce. There is not, and cannot be, a peaceful reconciliation with a violent oppressor. It doesn’t matter what you read, or watch, or believe in. If someone wants to control you, to make you their slave and their toy, you aren’t getting out of that scenario with peace and fancy words, you are doing it by breaking their neck.

Violence begets violence, but violence is also the answer.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
quote is not edit

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Bakshi only had a career because back then DeviantArt didn't exist so if weird perverts wanted to get boners at cartoons with nipples they had to sit through some boomer burnout's weird treatise on Israel to get them.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Sometimes Hitler don't shoot himself. That's when you gotta shoot him. But be careful, he is a wizard this time.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Sleeveless posted:

Bakshi only had a career because back then DeviantArt didn't exist so if weird perverts wanted to get boners at cartoons with nipples they had to sit through some boomer burnout's weird treatise on Israel to get them.

Well it's good that it worked out because he's a great cartoonist.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is a tremendous thread for people telling on themselves.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't think I've ever seen a Bashki movie all the way through. Every single time I try to sit through one of them I get bored af.

The only value I've ever seen in studying them was to realize "oh so dudes wanked it to cartoons all the time before the internet."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm working on it OK

https://i.imgur.com/rpWPQ0D.mp4

Do you all want me to include subtitles for the screenshots or to leave them out?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Include them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Wizards (1997) is like what if Inglorious Bastards had fairies with massive tits? Suck on that toe Tarantino!