Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Beyond the obvious poo poo like killing millions of people all the time with transporters, there's other maybe even darker poo poo people just gloss over.

Like look at the federation and earth, they always talk about how its a paradise, no one wants for anything, there's no money, people can do whatever they want, everyone can have whatever they want, but that's only true up to a point-

What do all the humans in high ranking positions in the government and military of the federation have in common? They are all earth landowners. Land in an abstract sense is freely available to everyone, if they're willing to fly to another planet and live there, but there is only a finite amount of land on Earth, and everything is run by people who own land on Earth.

Also there is no money. No buying land, no selling land. So the only way to get land on earth is to inherit it, the only title is the allodial blood title. Its the feudal system back, but back forever. By getting rid of money and commerce the landed gentry got rid of burghers and by abolishing riches they abolished the nouveau riche. Plus no money means no property or inheritance tax. It took them like a thousand years or whatever but they won.

Take captain picard, younger son of a prominent landowning earth family. His elder brother inherited and is a gentleman farmer running a vast estate vineyard. He joined the military and quickly climbed the ranks to be captain of the flagship because of his social background. He's in "the club" and it shows. He's a nobleman and he acts like it.

His first officer Riker, earth landowning family and son of a gentleman diplomat. Captain Janeway, earth landowning family background. Captain Kirk, earth landowning family background. Captain Sisko, earth landowning family background.

Say you claim its unfair you can't get some land of your own on earth, what will they tell you? Tough luck, its all taken and nobody's selling. Go live on some other planet, its yours, all the land you want, free! But you know its not the same. If you're from Tau Bogan 9 you wont get to be captain of a starship or an admiral or the ambassador to vulcans, you'll get to be a space mechanic or a nurse or maybe a scientist or physician if you're real smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Having started to actually get into Star Trek, I recently saw the DS9 episode where Jake and Nog slum their way through a Zelda-esque trading sequence in an attempt at a get-rich-quick scheme of the week.
It seems to actually work, but one of the things that struck me was that Nog obtains a parcel of land, and he thinks it's just worthless "dirt." Being that the Ferengis are a resource and profit-driven species who presumably hailed from a single planet, wouldn't they treat land as being super valuable too?? Land is a commodity with an ascribed monetary value, you'd think the ultracapitalist alien race would think it was too. Or is it that he's a dumb kid, idgi

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
It's dirt on Bajor, which to be fair, isn't exactly good dirt.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the people on earth are the ones comfortable with what the state gives them. anyone who shows any signs of ambition or dissent are sent off to die in Starfleet or as colonists on the frontier.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

star trek is, in fact, good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
not any more

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
star trek's greatest value as a setting was its attempt to depict individuals who came from a substantially more just society

if you're not interested in that element of the show then i struggle to understand what non-business motivation would lead one to want to tell stories under the 'star trek' name, since star trek does not have a monopoly or trademark on teleportation, energy stun weapons, faster-than-light travel, meathead warrior bro-culture antagonists, space america analogies, or scantily-clad women who have been painted an unusual color

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
On dirt, you can grow weed.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

scantily-clad women who have been painted an unusual color

Nah but it is a front runner in the field, you've got to admit.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

reignofevil posted:

On dirt, you can grow weed.

this.... are you sure about this?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

star trek's greatest value as a setting was its attempt to depict individuals who came from a substantially more just society

if you're not interested in that element of the show then i struggle to understand what non-business motivation would lead one to want to tell stories under the 'star trek' name, since star trek does not have a monopoly or trademark on teleportation, energy stun weapons, faster-than-light travel, meathead warrior bro-culture antagonists, space america analogies, or scantily-clad women who have been painted an unusual color

the people who decide what people who want to make tv shows and movies get to make think that brands are magic runes that people will respond to by giving them rents because they don't know how to do anything but receive the result of other people's work

roddenberry at best half understood the ideas he was working with, but by dreaming of a better world he at least made a contribution to humanity

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 18, 2020

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

well put

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

section 31 did nothing wrong

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

is Section 31 like Special Circumstances

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
section 31 is CIA propaganda; that it is not portrayed in a positive manner is irrelevant because the point is to depict the CIA as an inevitable and indispensable necessary evil, a sort of structural part of reality more fundamental than mere physics

it is everyone involved in star trek cheerfully agreeing that there are five lights

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 18, 2020

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Section 31 did Wolf 359

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Section 31 is actually cool, good, and gets the job done.

Unseen soft power makes me randy.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's pretty crazy that in that one section 31 episode they just casually toss in that you can access dead people's subconsciousness via the matrix or whatever

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Star Trek peaked around 1992, there I said it. Had a decent plateau until DS9 ended but it's been downhill ever since.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Star Trek peaked around 1992, there I said it. Had a decent plateau until DS9 ended but it's been downhill ever since.

voyager at least tried to be interesting, and sometimes succeeded. i've also ran into at least one fan opinion (janeway being a psychopath) which isn't entirely without truth but is mostly just misogyny

after that there's nothing. there are no star treks after that.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

section 31 is CIA propaganda; that it is not portrayed in a positive manner is irrelevant because the point is to depict the CIA as an inevitable and indispensable necessary evil, a sort of structural part of reality more fundamental than mere physics

it is everyone involved in star trek cheerfully agreeing that there are five lights
yeah, I'm not a big trek guy but i can spot genre hacks wanking off their 'hard men making hard choices to protect YOU ' fantasy a fuckin mile off.

it especially doesn't count as negative portrayal when you make them the bad guys through indisputably evil supervillainy, not any flaw in their ideology or bullshit rationalizations.

gently caress Section 31.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Wanted By Weed posted:

Having started to actually get into Star Trek, I recently saw the DS9 episode where Jake and Nog slum their way through a Zelda-esque trading sequence in an attempt at a get-rich-quick scheme of the week.
It seems to actually work, but one of the things that struck me was that Nog obtains a parcel of land, and he thinks it's just worthless "dirt." Being that the Ferengis are a resource and profit-driven species who presumably hailed from a single planet, wouldn't they treat land as being super valuable too?? Land is a commodity with an ascribed monetary value, you'd think the ultracapitalist alien race would think it was too. Or is it that he's a dumb kid, idgi

It's not entirely without precedence for instance you had historical cultures, in parts of Western Africa for instance, often where there was some combination of nomadism or semi-nomadism (but still agricultural) where wealth was more commonly reckonened in the labor you owned or could call upon, often in the form of slaves. That's a bit of a simplification, but the concept of private ownership of land or ownership of land being equated with wealth isn't like an absolute constant in human history and rather is a specific historical development.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Land is historically far more valuable when peasants run out of options for defection. If abusing your farmers means that they gently caress off and join the local hill tribes, it's not enough to just own the land and tell the peasants they pay you or die. You have to manage the labor more explicitly, which frequently means slavery (e.g. iron age Myanmar), but just as often means complex rights/obligations setups (e.g. Sumeria).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Tulip posted:

Land is historically far more valuable when peasants run out of options for defection. If abusing your farmers means that they gently caress off and join the local hill tribes, it's not enough to just own the land and tell the peasants they pay you or die. You have to manage the labor more explicitly, which frequently means slavery (e.g. iron age Myanmar), but just as often means complex rights/obligations setups (e.g. Sumeria).

Even with slavery, the broke relatives you forced into debt and took the families of have often tended to gather into communities, make alliances with locals, and come back for them.

Fegengi somehow accumulating vast capital but not understanding the value of land is mostly an example of writers not u understanding the concepts they were working with.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

maybe nog was an idiot child at the time

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Squizzle posted:

at one point a cardassian characterizes humanity with a paraphrase of von mises' principle of action and it's unchallenged, so i wouldn't be too generous with my assumptions about the writer's grasp of economics

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hodgepodge posted:

Even with slavery, the broke relatives you forced into debt and took the families of have often tended to gather into communities, make alliances with locals, and come back for them.

Fegengi somehow accumulating vast capital but not understanding the value of land is mostly an example of writers not u understanding the concepts they were working with.

I mean, those iron age Myanmar kingdoms had a life expectancy of like a century on average before the mix of bailing peasants, inefficiency of slavery, and angry hill tribes became completely apocalyptic. It was a bad solution.

Nog thinking little of land is a marked inconsistency given that Ferengi economic thought is usually like 100% exchange theory of value, so anything that is valuable to someone is self-evidently valuable, regardless of its utility.

Hodgepodge posted:

at one point a cardassian characterizes humanity with a paraphrase of von mises' principle of action and it's unchallenged, so i wouldn't be too generous with my assumptions about the writer's grasp of economics

lol yeah

It's pretty messed up that we basically only see the Federation through the military lens.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rudeboy Detective posted:

Section 31 is actually cool, good, and gets the job done.

Unseen soft power makes me randy.

what's your favorite Tom Clancy book

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

what's your favorite Tom Clancy book

The one written by an unpaid ghost writer.

Edit: how many democratically elected space governments do you think section 31 has kicked over the instant their president is handed a ceremonial bat'leth as an symbol of friendship from the Klingons? The public will never know, especially those lulled into a false sense of comfort by their big-brother space government's utopian veneer.

Rudeboy Detective fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 19, 2020

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

voyager at least tried to be interesting, and sometimes succeeded. i've also ran into at least one fan opinion (janeway being a psychopath) which isn't entirely without truth but is mostly just misogyny

after that there's nothing. there are no star treks after that.

I thought Janeway was one of the most interesting captains. Yea, there were problems with the writing of her because sometimes she'd go hard on some regulation, but often she very frequently compromised.

All of the rest of them, except Archer, all had this huge institution to draw on. The Federation. Almost everyone they spoke to knew the Federation and had dealings with them. They were never more than a week or two away from resupply and assistance, and even then rarely.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

CainFortea posted:

I thought Janeway was one of the most interesting captains. Yea, there were problems with the writing of her because sometimes she'd go hard on some regulation, but often she very frequently compromised.

All of the rest of them, except Archer, all had this huge institution to draw on. The Federation. Almost everyone they spoke to knew the Federation and had dealings with them. They were never more than a week or two away from resupply and assistance, and even then rarely.

Yeah. And the decision about how to interpret and apply the Prime Directive is always about either the effect on the Federation as a whole and/or the impact on the contacted society. There's never a matter of personal sacrifice for those principles in the other shows.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The problem with the Prime Directive is that no two writers have ever portrayed it the same so it never has a consistent meaning. Sometimes it's an extremely sensible policy to not give nuclear bombs to cavemen. Other times it's about already space traveling civilizations be genocided because "We can't play God".

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

galagazombie posted:

The problem with the Prime Directive is that no two writers have ever portrayed it the same so it never has a consistent meaning. Sometimes it's an extremely sensible policy to not give nuclear bombs to cavemen. Other times it's about already space traveling civilizations be genocided because "We can't play God".

At the core it's amazing, because it seems to be fundamentally a total rejection of imperialism, and has been interpreted as a reaction to America's actions in Vietnam.

Not every writer has been on board with the notion of not being an imperial power and by DS9 the entire premise had shifted to being about the Federation as an empire in conflict with competing imperial powers. History, of course, had recently ended, so there was no reason to imagine the future would be any different from the present.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 20, 2020

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wanted By Weed posted:

Maybe it's that Nog's uncle owns an entire moon from being an arms merchant so a dingy parcel of land on Bajor, which might or might not be arable, doesn't seem like real progress

Squizzle posted:

the most likely answer

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

nog my fed rear end

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Always thought it was weird that Timothy McVeigh was a big TNG fan

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

JethroMcB posted:

Always thought it was weird that nearly all Canadian pedophiles are big TNG fans

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tulip posted:

It's pretty messed up that we basically only see the Federation through the military lens.

All emphasis is on the military because Star Trek depicts a Keynesian utopia, based directly on Keynes’ 1930 essay Economic Possibilities for our Grandchildren. Nearly everything about Star Trek’s setting is in those few pages.

The Federation is basically dumping shitloads of not-money (“credits”) into the military-industrial complex to reduce/eliminate unemployment and stimulate the economy.

Capitalism hasn’t gone away in Star Trek; Keynes’ belief was that, if managed correctly, the overall standard of living under capitalism would just gradually increase (through a mix of technological progress and compound interest) to the point that people would no longer want money. They’d spend their free time after the short work-week fighting boredom with hobbies like playing the clarinet or whatever. Keynes predicted this would occur by around the year 2030.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
To think, it's all in Avery Brooks' head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

All emphasis is on the military because Star Trek depicts a Keynesian utopia, based directly on Keynes’ 1930 essay Economic Possibilities for our Grandchildren. Nearly everything about Star Trek’s setting is in those few pages.

The Federation is basically dumping shitloads of not-money (“credits”) into the military-industrial complex to reduce/eliminate unemployment and stimulate the economy.

Capitalism hasn’t gone away in Star Trek; Keynes’ belief was that, if managed correctly, the overall standard of living under capitalism would just gradually increase (through a mix of technological progress and compound interest) to the point that people would no longer want money. They’d spend their free time after the short work-week fighting boredom with hobbies like playing the clarinet or whatever. Keynes predicted this would occur by around the year 2030.

in real life it turns out that the carefully measured tapering plan to be administered by qualified professionals party suffered repeated loses to the nah this poo poo is good for you here ill attach a hose directly to your brain party