Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
A second Blue Sky Complex dj has been released in English!
https://twitter.com/dakarane_/status/1305178170878955522?s=20

Link to English version: https://www.dlsite.com/bl/work/=/product_id/RJ299771.html

It's probably really unlikely considering the length of this series and how long scans have been around for it that it ever gets licensed, but I'd really love to have an official translation of the main series so if you're able please consider picking up a copy, if there's some demand for these English releases it might help :angel:

Here's the first one that had an English tl: https://www.dlsite.com/ecchi-eng/work/=/product_id/RE289740.html (it's 50% off right now too)

It's kinda sad because you can see how many purchases have been made on each one and #7 has like...12 right now and there's only 3 on #7.5 but I know a ton of people read scans of this series. :negative:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
this post is a reminder mostly to myself to pick this up when it's released
This Is Love Part 1

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 19, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
and it's finally available!
https://twitter.com/Irodori_Sakura/status/1307243400408625152?s=20

just got my copy -- looking forward to reading it, I'll post some thoughts later.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
new Etranger PV, a long one this time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7I88BWnKmk

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

drat, looks really beautiful

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
honestly I'm super impressed, they've done an incredible job matching the manga's art style

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
... Wow I've watched so much anime that I'm actually starting to understand Japanese a little bit.

Also, I'm so excited!!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The first three episodes of Scumbag System are up on WeTV and ep 4 unlocks for free users on Thursday

also a sale alert -- Sublime manga is on sale at rightstuf this week which is notable because that includes :siren: Jealousy 3, Coyote 3, and Given 4 preorders :siren:

also always remember if you preorder from them, keep your orders separate because they don't fulfill til *everything* is out

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 27, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
New list of futekiya licenses

quote:

Yonin no Nibiiro Volumes 1-2 by akabeko
Oasobi wa Soko Made by Miecohouse Matsumoto
Lonely Playground Volumes 1-2 by Dayoo
Usotsuki Akuma by Sumako Kari
Yokosu Inu, Mekuru Yoru Volumes 1-4 by Nobara Aiko
Ryoukatakoi no Susume by Yuiji Aniya
Mou Ichido, Nando demo Volumes 1-2 by Yuiji Aniya
Inga no Sakana by Niboshiko Arai
Gatapishi by Niboshiko Arai
Sleeping Bug by Atsuki Kyoyama
Boku to Kimi no Midori to Drill by aya isino
Trigger by aya isino
Ichizu na Inu wa Akiramenai by Noriko Kihara
Yoru ga Owaru Made by Higashi Nishida
Kono Senaka ni Tsume wo Tatete by Rou Nishimoto
NenNen-Saisai by hideyoshico
Dancing Colors by tasuku furukawa
Kaette Hoshii no by Sakaki Kuroda
Mofuku no Hanayome by Iroha Megu
Kimi no Kao ga Suki da by Deme Kingyobachi
Aka no Teatoru by Chise Ogawa
Nichiyoubi ni Pound Cake by Shizuku Amida
Snip, Snail & Dogtail by Tomoko Yamashita
Je T’aime, Café Noir by Tomoko Yamashita
Rec me by JIL Hashikura
Shinobeyo! Stalker by Asahi Fujiwara
Ani no Yujin by Zain
Kanashi by Mataaki Kureno

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Let's see..

I had Yonin no Nibiiro tagged as a "nope" after one chapter but if you're looking for something kinda dark that might work. Mou Ichido, Nando demo is really, really good; Dancing Colors has been on my want to read list for months so looking forward to checking that one out. NenNen-Saisai is an anthology that has "The Komukai Household's Circumstances" which is one of my favorite oneshots. Kimi no Kao ga Suki da is pretty good as well, if you want fluff with some light drama. Nichiyoubi ni Pound Cake was the other title that jumped out as me as one I really liked. Snip, Snail & Dogtail is another one I've been wanting to read and hadn't gotten to yet.

Quite a few of these have never been scanned or have incomplete translations but several of the authors stand out as having other stuff I've read and enjoyed so this is a pretty good list overall imo.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
... YNN is 'kinda dark' how?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

... YNN is 'kinda dark' how?
I only read the one chapter and it's been a while but iirc there's abuse and incest (based on comments & spoilers people were posting and that lines up with the mangaupdates tags)

I'm not a big fan of that author tbh, a lot of their stuff that I've seen has been along those lines in general but if you like say, Ogawa Chise (who is also very hit and miss for me, mostly miss) you might check their stuff out.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 2, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
So I somehow completely missed this announcement initially but holy poo poo this series has been in limbo for so long but we're finally getting another volume:
https://twitter.com/junemanga/status/1289637019631509505?s=20

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

I only read the one chapter and it's been a while but iirc there's abuse and incest (based on comments & spoilers people were posting and that lines up with the mangaupdates tags)

I'm not a big fan of that author tbh, a lot of their stuff that I've seen has been along those lines in general but if you like say, Ogawa Chise (who is also very hit and miss for me, mostly miss) you might check their stuff out.

Ahh ok. Incest is a huge no way for me, and abuse is close so thanks for the warnings

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
np, I mostly just don't want to totally discourage people from reading things that aren't to my taste so I try to be clear that "I didn't like this" doesn't mean "this sucks" in any way because it may be exactly what someone else wants to read.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ANN reviewed Jealousy

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was trying to keep my posting in this thread mostly to licensed stuff so that folks know about official releases and can support them (so we can have more!) but I just finished reading this the other day and it was really cute and sweet:

Hello Green Days
Mikage, a graduate student in the Department of Botany, is shy and timid when it comes to love. One day, Mikage decides to become roommates with his financially challenged junior classmen, Nanahoshi. But, suddenly one spring day Mikage is confessed to by Nanahoshi – whose sweet personality differs from his scary appearance. For the first time in his life, Mikage is in a relationship, but he struggles to understand how to become a loving boyfriend.

I was getting a bit of an ace vibe from Mikage and Nanahoshi is such a sweet, patient guy :kimchi: Great if you want something soft and low drama.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hey, I'm a big dumb idiot that dunked this into the LGBT chat thread instead of here (as I had no idea this thread existed.)

SubNat posted:

I'm sorry for branching off from that important discussion, but:
Does anyone have any suggestions for good series with a BL/mlm bent to check out? (Trans men too, but considering how rarely they're represented I'd be surprised to see a series with them.)

It's a space I've only recently started looking into again, so I'm still a bit unsure where to really look. Especially since visibility heaaaavily skews towards newer series.
I've quite enjoyed Ao no Flag, Living with Him, Shimanami Tasogare, Bokura no Shokutaku, Here u Are, Starting with a Lie(veeery pretty artwork in that one, love the watercolour-y aesthetic.) and a couple others I can't remember off the top of my head.
https://mangadex.org/title/21565/ao-no-flag https://mangadex.org/title/35130/living-with-him https://mangadex.org/title/15976/shimanami-tasogare
https://mangadex.org/title/20689/bokura-no-shokutaku https://mangadex.org/title/24225/here-u-are https://mangadex.org/title/36226/starting-with-a-lie

And while slice of life and romance are fine and dandy on their own, it would be neat if there are some series out there that lie more in fantasy, scifi, etc.
If anyone has some good stuff that -isn't- highschool oriented then that's great, since it feels like the 'awkward highschoolers' setting is basically the default setting.

But now that I have this thread bookmarked I can parse it, since you have a ton of good suggestions and etc here. So that'll keep me busy for a good while. :toot:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol, well it had fallen back to page 2 or so until I posted just a minute ago. If you have anything in particular you're wanting to read just ask, and also I can provide suggestions that are legal only or include scans depending on how you prefer to read stuff.

Also now that we can search threads, if you've got time to kill you might search the shojo/josei thread for "BL" because that's where it mostly got posted prior to this thread.

e: I should read more closely I see you did have some things you'd like suggestions on so I'll round up a few things you might like here in a bit

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
First off if you like Starting with a Lie, that author has a new one: All of You that's off to a good start.

Here are a couple of other webtoons you might check out since you liked Here U Are, they have kind of a similar feeling imo:
Path to You
I Have A Boyfriend

For fantasy, I am absolutely loving Rix Vanus (you may need an account to view that link, it's in their mature section). This one also requires an account to read through Futekiya but it's a really fun fantasy story: The Pure Knight's Shining Journey. Also Monster and the Beast is another licensed one that's really fun.

Also I recently read The Dragon's Husband which was pretty interesting, it explores immortality and teaching a completely inhuman creature to understand and relate to humanity; content-wise it's very tame, just fyi since the title and cover are a bit alarming!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

First off if you like Starting with a Lie, that author has a new one: All of You that's off to a good start.

--- lots more helpful stuff

Ah ye! I'm currently reading All of You, and the moment I started it was incredibly obvious that the artist has a very specific type. Qi Shi is on first impression very similar to Chen from SwaL, but with a scar and fewer friends.

I saw a bit of Rix Vanus (until the love interest character started travelling with him.) but the whole demon curse thing was throwing up mad omegaverse-esque consent alarms so I kind of sidelined it.
Pure Knight's Shining Journey looks pretty cute though, so I'll check that out. And it seems like the first 3 chapters of Monster and the Beast are on Mangadex too, so I can preview that to see if I'll like the volume.
Dragon's Husband I actually checked out and added to my 'check out sometime when I remember it' list, so I'll bump that up and check it out. I wasn't entirely sure what direction it was going to go after the whole 'yo, marry this dragon' opening, but good to hear it's interesting and not just dragonboning.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

As for legal vs Scan, I've been finding stuff on Tachiyomi (via mangadex and etc.) and generally going after the legal alternatives for series I've liked, though it seems like tappytoon especially has a ton of the popular series.
The only thing I don't hugely like about Mangadex is that it's sometimes hard to figure out if a series isn't there / isn't complete because it's been licensed somewhere else, or if it's not done, or if it hasn't been translated yet, etc.
Sometimes licensed series have 0 chapters, sometimes 1-2, sometimes 30+.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
I just wanted to pop in and say this is a very useful thread with many great recs, I'll be sure to keep an eye on it!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

SubNat posted:

I saw a bit of Rix Vanus (until the love interest character started travelling with him.) but the whole demon curse thing was throwing up mad omegaverse-esque consent alarms so I kind of sidelined it.

just for reference, I will never recommend an omegaverse series because that's a big nope for me, but I can see where the curse taking away Rix's ability to consent would have some of the same vibes. One of the things it explores is how terrible that makes him feel so it's not something that they've thrown in casually I don't think, and as someone who despises omegaverse this doesn't really hit the same for me, especially once Nuah gets on the scene. All I would suggest is possibly giving it a shot past the first handful of chapters and get into the journey part where they're traveling together and if it hasn't hooked you by then, it's probably not going to.

One handy thing about Mangadex is they generally have a link to Mangaupdates which should give you more info on licensing status, how much has been scanned, if it's actually complete, etc. I check mangaupdates a lot because people are starting to get really bad about just ripping licensed manga and uploading those chapters and if I can just go buy it from Renta or somewhere I'd rather do that (that's more of a mangago issue than mangadex I think, since they're a bit more sketchy and don't care about sources or if things are licensed).

Kangxi posted:

I just wanted to pop in and say this is a very useful thread with many great recs, I'll be sure to keep an eye on it!
:cheerdoge:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

- - - and as someone who despises omegaverse this doesn't really hit the same for me, especially once Nuah gets on the scene. All I would suggest is possibly giving it a shot past the first handful of chapters and get into the journey part where they're traveling together and if it hasn't hooked you by then, it's probably not going to.

Alright, I will. Now that I know you loathe omegaverse stuff as well, but like this series I can rest easy and give it another shot / see how it develops.

I was really surprised on the whole when I started digging into BL stuff again earlier this year. I'd always assumed that the omegaverse was just a kind of niche fanfiction thing. And then bam, there's a goddamn fuckload of it, especially in korean series.
(Dunno if it's just popular there, or just me noticing multiple korean aligned scanlation groups focusing on omegaverse stuff.) Then again the BL sphere already had a lot of issues with consent, so the overlap with ABO shouldn't really surprise me that much.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yeah it really does feel like there's a lot of it but it's hard to tell if it's actually *that* popular or if people who are translating things are picking those a lot recently and kinda skewing things in that direction, but there are some getting officially licensed so there's definitely a market for it. It's a pretty popular theme in m/m romance novels as well, and there's even some het omegaverse -- a manga recently got licensed with a male alpha and female omega and tbh I was kinda like...isn't that basically every romance with an aggressive guy and submissive girl not sure what's different here :shrug:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Omegaverse poo poo is like peak fujo tbf. I'm pretty sure it started in slash fiction to give a basis for mpreg, then spread.

I know its heavily associated with superwholock stuff but id honestly have thought it started with franchises that have werewolves like Harry Potter, Twilight or Teen Wolf. But nope, apparently it was supernatural. Which, yeah, i guess also has werewolves but not like protagonist werewolves.

(I may have a generous love of fanfiction; esp m/m pairings :sweatdrop:)

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 11, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ultimately my position is -- if someone digs it, that's fine. I don't like to read it because there are some elements that make me really uncomfortable, but I also don't want it to be like some forbidden topic that we all recoil and hiss in horror if it gets mentioned since it's widespread enough that you'll probably run across it reading stuff in this genre one way or another.

e: I think my initial surprise with seeing it in manga was that I'd always associated it with western fandom (supernatural, sherlock, etc.) and had seen plenty of it in doujinshi before but not in like, original published manga so that line of movement from fanworks to more "mainstream" BL makes it feel like there's more demand but I think it's still probably fairly niche even if there's enough readership to support published works and even licenses.

The full circle of a western fan thing coming back via licensed manga is kind of funny though.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 12, 2020

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anyone know if heavens official blessing is going to get subs on youtube (or at all)?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't seen anything to confirm but I figured it would either show up on Tencent's YouTube channel or their WeTV thing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
FYI
https://twitter.com/SuBLimeManga/status/1316549105712156672?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The interview this note is part of is paywalled behind their patreon but this snippet is interesting, regarding some of the origins of how seme and uke characters are portrayed:
https://twitter.com/_queerioes/status/1316580088838791169?s=20

quote:

Researcher’s Notes:

My “Gay in PreModern Japan” panel, which you can find recorded on Youtube by FujoCon and in one of my Patreon posts, includes information on Wakashu, or the PreModern Bishounen. The same bishounen you find in most Japanese media and in BL. There’s a connection I like to point out to people.

Wakashu were intentionally androgynous, a notable mixture of “beautiful and handsome”. The famous poet Matsuo Bashō described them as “not a woman nor yet a man”. The Wakashu shared traits with both, but at the same time stood out from both. Sounds familiar right? A “third gender” is one translation, BUT the Japanese understanding is on a spectrum. Some Wakashu leaned toward more masculine, some more feminine. This portrayal and their “aesthetic” was popular with everyone, not just the upper classes. I refer to them as existing on the “premodern non-binary spectrum”.

How does that connect to the image of an uke? Very overtly. Look at how they are portrayed, their variances from series to series. Look at how they are described. Uke are more closely aligned with the traditional image of Wakashu. Whereas Seme are more closely aligned with the post-Meiji image of Bishounen: leaning towards more masculine but not too much, closer to their “straight” idealization of the bishounen, decisive, stoic, strapping, etc.

Both Uke and Seme are two types of bishounen. It’s a primarily Western idea that they are “man and woman”, but the Japanese perspective is more of “old beautiful Wakashu type bishounen” and “imperialism era husband new type bishounen”.

The Uke was never made to be “the woman”.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
June's doing reprints of the first 3 volumes of The Tyrant Falls in Love in case anyone has been trying to track down a copy. I don't really care for this series so I haven't looked at how hard these were to find but I assume if they're like any of the other OOP books I've looked for it wasn't cheap to buy them secondhand.
https://twitter.com/junemanga/status/1317180562788868096?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Last update of Rix Vanus has me a little concerned, if Nuah doesn't stand up for his man I'm going to be very disappointed in him and in this comic.

I was thinking this morning about it vs omegaverse and why it doesn't have the same vibe for me. I think a lot of it is because the curse is something that was applied by an external force and is implied to be temporary (since they're looking for a way to break it), vs being something innate to his biology that he was born with that forces him to act against his normal personality even though the end result is still similar when he's being affected by it.

There is definitely a strong parallel between the omegaverse "heat" and Rix's curse in action, so I wouldn't blame anyone for being put off by that point. It also contains some of the same consent issues -- Rix is under the influence, and in the moment he isn't lucid enough to consent. That's definitely one of the things I dislike about omegaverse stuff, that the omega is basically incapacitated by hormones and anything happening in that state is against their will because it's usually implied or outright stated that otherwise they wouldn't want to have sex. Similarly, Rix expresses multiple times that he doesn't want to have sex and it makes him uncomfortable, which is why the curse is such a torment for him. What happens in his dreams in the opening chapters is 100% rape, so that's another point where someone might immediately bounce off of this one.

However, I feel that once he starts traveling with Nuah and he starts sleeping with Nuah to suppress the curse, it's made clear in their interactions and characterizations that if Rix told Nuah "under no circumstances do I want to have sex even if the curse makes me act like it," Nuah would *not* do anything Rix told him not to do. He seems to be trying very hard to respect Rix's wishes, so imo Rix under the curse with Nuah is very different from Rix under the curse with the demon.

Spoiler for the most recent chapter: that's why I feel like if the story remains consistent to the above characterization, Nuah will *not* let this new guy who is a total stranger join in, because he did not consent ahead of time to having a threesome with a rando. Nuah has been very passive and gentle so far, so I think it's really time for him to get more assertive and protect Rix in this situation. I think he knows this isn't something Rix would want and will act on that. If I end up being wrong about that I'm really going to be disappointed -- probably won't drop it but I'd stop recommending it because making a move like that breaks my trust as a reader.

A side thought about things I dislike re: omegaverse, one of the major things I don't like is the destined mate thing. I absolutely hate the "you can only have one lover for life" setup in pretty much anything. I was actually reading another webtoon, Pian Pian, which is complete fluff but has a "soulmate" gimmick where everyone is born with someone else's initials on them like a birthmark and they're drawn to that person when they meet them, and ended up dropping it because it just wasn't sitting well with me. Something about that kind of thing makes me really uncomfortable and I think it's still around removing agency and the ability to consent from a character. They might not like their soulmate at all, but because it's ~destiny~ what they want doesn't really matter.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

A side thought about things I dislike re: omegaverse, one of the major things I don't like is the destined mate thing.

Sorry in advance, I feel like I really don't know the right language to articulate this or get my point across.

I feel in many ways the parts I dislike the most about omegaverse is that there are a bunch of 'features' that seemingly exist only to force the characters into a storyline/relationship, no matter how much they dislike it/eachother.
It always just seems like an overly contrived way for something to just happen, without any narrative reason or sense for doing so, like a DM hopelessly trying to railroad their players into a specific plot, drat the consequences.
You hit it on the head in terms of stuff like destined mates, etc. I feel like with Rix the curse only really exists narratively to force him into a relationship with Nuah, which is why I pulled up the comparison to ABO.
(This is of course on top of the nuclear minefield of consent issues the setting brings with it, especially when you bring marking bites into play.)

I've yet to see or read any series where them using any of the 'features' from the setting actually benefits the story in any way, and usually just function as a shortcut for the writer to make rapesex happen with minimal narrative development or consequences.

I read a bit further into Rix V, but on the whole it just hasn't gripped me much unfortunately despite being very well drawn, I just don't like the whole rapecurse hanging over it like a heavy cloud. They've boned down, but it seems less like a choice and more like something he felt pressured to do.
It's a bit like taking an ABO heat episode and just like, adding 1 layer of 'consent, but not actually consent, since you don't have a genuine alternative.' to it. Though it's been a couple days since I read it and I'm a bit fuzzy on how they exactly went ahead with it/the reasoning/wording.
To me it just feels like an utter non-choice, because it has to be done for him to not have everything get worse. If there were other ways to subdue the curse then there would, but him beginning to suppress it meant that it came back stronger when it did, which just feels like him getting backed into a corner.
It's like if an ABO series gave the character a choice between getting hosed for heat medicine, or getting hosed.

On the whole I don't think it's particularly for me, unfortunately. I think I would have been a lot more onboard with it if it had been like, literally any other kind of curse, and not a magic dream rape curse.
(Though you still get into the same issue regardless of what the curse is, if the only way to really suppress it temporarily is to bone down the dog/wolf spirit. If -any- sex subdued it then you'd suddenly let him have some agency there, atleast. )

Unrelatedly: Blue! Blue! Blue! was kinda cute, and I enjoyed it. ( https://mangadex.org/title/22179/blue-blue-blue )

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think you're right, a lot of it is contrivance to get character 1 and character 2 to engage in [story plot] and, in the case of Rix Vanus a big chunk of the plot is built entirely around them sleeping together. It may just be inconsistency on my part that I'm fine with it here but not elsewhere because I like the characters and the art is pretty lol. Will not lie, pretty art will get me to forgive a lot. I think sometimes that's just a thing you accept about the story setup, that a big portion of the plot is based around two characters getting together and sometimes that's going to be satisfying to you and sometimes it's not. At least Rix and Nuah don't hate each other which is probably also easing that discomfort for me.

SubNat posted:

Unrelatedly: Blue! Blue! Blue! was kinda cute, and I enjoyed it. ( https://mangadex.org/title/22179/blue-blue-blue )
:yeah: this one is really nice! it's been a while since I read it but I liked how they were both getting over someone and the whole pace of how things build up between them.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, ain't juding you/tryin to slam ya for it, there's a ton of varying factors that'll lead people to liking A while not liking B which is pretty similar, just a slightly different context makes some actions work better, etc etc.
Here's to hoping Nuah doesn't act like an idiot, leading you to ditch the series. This is in no way me telling you that you're somehow wrong for liking it, just me tapping out from it and trying to figure out why it(the series) rubbed me the wrong way as much as it did, despite it otherwise being interesting and well made.
(And yeah, pretty art is the absolutely biggest support a bad story can have, since pretty art carries a bad story far better than good writing can carry bad art, to me. )

As for B!B!B!, yeah, it was very grounded and adorable. I quite liked Takiya's grand statement of affection, imitating what Honjou had done earlier in a one-sided love.

On the whole I do very much like how a lot of japanese manga are fairly concise and snappy, since they often wrap up with an arc over 5-8 chapters. (For better or worse, many a times I'd like another volume, with none in sight.)
Meanwhile a number of webtoons and the like can have a bad habit of just meandering through dozens to hundreds of chapters, though that's part of their serialized, weekly nature I suppose.
There's a lot more space for character development, but they don't often actually utilize it for it that much. And when you have a ton of chapters it just start getting glaringly obvious how little stuff is actually happening, sometimes.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

SubNat posted:

Yeah, ain't juding you/tryin to slam ya for it, there's a ton of varying factors that'll lead people to liking A while not liking B which is pretty similar, just a slightly different context makes some actions work better, etc etc.
Here's to hoping Nuah doesn't act like an idiot, leading you to ditch the series. This is in no way me telling you that you're somehow wrong for liking it, just me tapping out from it and trying to figure out why it(the series) rubbed me the wrong way as much as it did, despite it otherwise being interesting and well made.
(And yeah, pretty art is the absolutely biggest support a bad story can have, since pretty art carries a bad story far better than good writing can carry bad art, to me. )
Yeah for sure, I'm glad you checked it out even though it didn't work out :3

I think reading a lot of 1-2 volume stuff has sort of atrophied my attention span lol
One thing I get a little tired of with webtoons and that I have dropped some of them for is when there are multiple chapters of smut scenes in a row and I'm looking for some plot progress. If the art is good enough to carry it that's one thing but a lot of them aren't quite at a level that I want to read a month of dueling light sabers instead of moving the plot along.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Saezuru v4 preorders are finally available
https://twitter.com/junemanga/status/1318251616214994945?s=20

v3 came out in 2017...it's been so long :negative:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
some new Heaven Official's Blessing content
https://twitter.com/cuchallain/status/1318040854859218949?s=20

also it's apparently going to air on Bilibili's website/app and their Youtube channel with episodes going up for free 2 weeks after they air for a limited time

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
no news just some MADK art
https://twitter.com/szr_Ryo/status/1319182320100798465?s=20