Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
You might check out Silver Diamond and The Ice Cold Demon's Tale by Shiho Sugiura; both of those barely have any romance at all although it's clear the leads have a thing for each other, but they're both fairly long fantasy/action/adventure stories. Border by Kazuma Kodaka is another one I like that's more action than romance; hmmm let's see what's some other ones... Saiyaku Wa Boku O Suki Sugiru is a supernatural mystery with some romance on the side, it's kind of a slow burn but their connection is pretty integral to the plot. Stigmata is another good one; the first volume (Stigmata - Seikon Sousa) is entirely just a police investigation but the continuation (Stigmata - Aikon) brings in more romance. Monster and the Beast is fantasy but be sure you're OK with the couple on the cover before proceeding though lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

macabresca posted:

I gushed about Heaven's Official Blessing in a seasonal thread, I'll gush about it again here: it's gorgeous. And funny. And charming.

I'm not a big fan of slice-of-life romance and that seems to be a majority of BL I've read but this series is perfect for me. I just find it way easier to get invested when the characters have more poo poo to do than just being in a relationship. Are there any series like that? Where romance is more of a subplot?

I'd recommend The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window by Yamashita Tomoko, though I haven't caught up with the most recent volume yet. The romance takes a spacious backseat to the plot. To quote myself from the Shoujo thread, it's an "ongoing innuendo-filled light-BL horror/mystery manga."

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oooh yeah, that's a good one. I need to catch up on it myself, picked up the most recent volume but I really need to just do a full re-read because I don't really remember what was going on.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The other MXTX, the author of Heaven Offical's Blessing, novels are also like that.

Scum Villain's Self Saving System is an isekai where a guy becomes one of the main villains of the terrible harem novel he hate-read and accidentally makes the main protagonist fall in love with him in his attempts to not get all of his limbs cut off by him. It's primarily a comedy with some drama. It just got adapted into a pretty faithful animated series covering it's first third or so, the problem is that said series is ugly as hell because it's Spirts Within level CGI. Worth a read though.

The Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation is probably the most famous of MXTX's novels in the west. It's about a guy who invents necromancy and becomes the world's super villain, only to be killed. He's revived 13 years later and through a series of events ends up traveling with his former frienemy (well, he thinks they're frienemies) to solve a murder mystery. It has been adapted a lot, including two seasons of a pretty cartoon plus a currently airing chibi comedy, a pretty faithful manhua that's ongoing, a very faithful and very good audio drama, and a very heavily censored and changed live action drama.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

hopeandjoy posted:

The Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation
:yeah:
(aka The Founder of Diabolism aka Mo Dao Zu Shi just in case you're looking and need the other names)

the donghua of this also a solid rec just for anyone enjoying Heaven Official's Blessing, and it's going to have a third season as well :toot:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 29, 2020

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Thanks for all the recs! Will get to them in free time

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pink Heart Jam news :toot:
https://twitter.com/mellowkiss_web/status/1333592401126981632?s=20

this is the one the artist stopped working on and publishing halted because of scans

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been waiting so long for news about Dear Door...:negative: It's been over a year since the artist said they were working on getting it released internationally (maybe close to two I have no sense of time anymore)

:toot: so glad to finally know where it's going to be and have a date
https://twitter.com/Tappy_toon/status/1333700901010247680?s=19

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I was going to make a comment that the art style reminds me of madk, but looking it up its a VERY different concept hahahaha

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol yeah, it's still got like demons and some body horror elements but the humans are all still alive in Dear Door for one thing. It's more of a "demon war with humans caught up in the middle" scenario.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:woop:
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1334968327790268417?s=20

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
aaahhhh i loved that one

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I bought it when it was available on renta but I'm excited to finally have a print copy

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
just watched ep 7 but I want to appreciate this OP a bit more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz8Vo9Zq7uc

it's so pretty

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Scorpion-Tailed Snake Shadow is a great name for a band.

Also it's probably a coincidence but the art in op reminds me a bit of Fata Morgana

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
going to have to turn this into the 2021 BL Anime & Manga thread soon

https://twitter.com/MangaMogura/status/1335753512341262336?s=20

The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window is getting an anime :toot:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
it's also apparently getting a live action movie in january

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
CR is going to stream Cherry Magic

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
A good day for BL news -- I Hear the Sunspot is continuing :toot:
https://twitter.com/c_canna/status/1336932517241221120?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man I really love all the little flirty gestures and interactions the leads have in TGCF :3: Just watched ep 8 and stuff like San Lang shielding Xie Lian from an explosion and the little embarrassed looks when their hands touch later is really cute. At the end though I was like man that felt really short, the episode is over already?? and actually it was a few minutes shorter than the other ones for some reason.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I wonder if they had to cut something that toed the line too much

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Everything Burrito posted:

Man I really love all the little flirty gestures and interactions the leads have in TGCF :3: Just watched ep 8 and stuff like San Lang shielding Xie Lian from an explosion and the little embarrassed looks when their hands touch later is really cute. At the end though I was like man that felt really short, the episode is over already?? and actually it was a few minutes shorter than the other ones for some reason.

all those little moments remind me of self-indulgent fanfics from eons past, its made the show feel so comfortable and nostalgic. I'm kinda sad we only have 3 more episodes to go

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:same:
pretty sure I saw it was going to get more seasons though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
FAKE is getting a digital release!
https://global.bookwalker.jp/dece787b5a-1bb1-4a40-86af-8f2378eac6ae/fake-volume-1/
good opportunity if you've wanted to read this one and couldn't find a copy. Despite its age from what I remember it's pretty decent as long as you don't mind a bit of dubcon. I'd also missed that the sequel got an English release :o

this reply sums it up really well lol
https://twitter.com/jendoesthething/status/1338801007111901188?s=20

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 15, 2020

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
oh my god that looks so 90's it hurts lmao

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol
Bad Teacher's Equation is another one that's got that real 90's look but it's also long enough that you can watch the art evolve and technology change as you read it, it's fun.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

:same:
pretty sure I saw it was going to get more seasons though.

god I hope so, I've started working my way through the novels and the next arc is such a banger

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

oh my god that looks so 90's it hurts lmao

It’s incredibly 90s but iirc still pretty good for a BL of its vintage.

FAKE was one of the manga I read as a teen and actually liked instead of having a love-hate relationship like I did with Junjou so I might read it again.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

e: updated the OP for 2021 :toot:
ty for the new thread title Wark

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 21, 2020

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I'm glad Heaven Official's Blessing finally introduced best boy, E-ming :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
there's new content in the digital edition of Fake! a new 15 page chapter at the end of the first volume with backstory for Dee that's expected to continue in the next volumes. That's on top of a fresh translation and color inserts.

Definitely going to have to get it now -- it's really nice that this offers something new even for people who already have the old print ones.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the Given movie will be streaming on CR in February 2021; they've added it to their winter lineup.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
hell yes!!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

the Given movie will be streaming on CR in February 2021; they've added it to their winter lineup.

:woop:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/futekiya/status/1342289024040521729?s=20

new Syundei :eyepop:

Here's the full list:

quote:

Marukido by Syundei
Kemuri wa Koi no Yamai by sawaco
α ga α wo Daku Houhou by Tokishiba
Oazuke no Kiss no Yukue by Omayu
Ojisan to Ore no Koiwazurai by Youhe Hino
Gochisousama, Virgin Cherry by GOmouriki
Sefure to nanka Koi ni Ochinai by Ichino Ii
Sono Kao Mitara, Gaman wa Dekinai by Umako Hareya
Vampire Itadakimasu by Abuku
gently caress Night Reversal by Kazusa Naruse
Baby ★ Love Sitter by Nonda Noda
Minna Hajimete no Kuse ni by Ryotaro
Love Sex Show by Kayou Amamiya
Kakumei no α by Kotaru Kashima
Kimi wa Boku no Koto wo Suuhaishisugiteiru. by Coco Aino
Wakadanna no Hiroi Neko by Kei
Matenai Inu no Shitsukekata by Noda Matsumoto
Fukigen Itoko ga Kawaisugite Shikatanai by Rito Takahira
Maishuu Suiyou Danshi Toire de Matteite by Arakata
Miren ga Michitara by Senmitsu
Muchi na Kimi to Shitai Koto by Kogamo
Risou no Koibito Himemiya-kun by Sattsu Kida

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 25, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I AM SO READY.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ten Count anime has been postponed, here's the google tl of the announcement on the site:

quote:

Thank you for your continued support of "10 Count".

Regarding "10 Count," which announced the TV anime broadcast in 2020, due to production reasons, we have decided to reconsider the development form of the animation and at the same time postpone the development time.

We apologize for the change in the deployment time while you are looking forward to this work.
All the staff will make further efforts to make better works, and we appreciate your understanding.

In addition, we will report on the new development form and timing as soon as it is decided.

We look forward to your continued support of "10 Count" in the future.

"10 Count" production committee

it was originally supposed to air in 2020 and well, obviously isn't going to now :v: -- no new date yet

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
a MADK preview, it'll be a while before we get this in English though :(
https://twitter.com/szr_Ryo/status/1343173043602870273?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/Mangadotclub/status/1343727988731387904?s=20

Wanted to note this because those are what coolmic publishes and their site is only readable via mobile but you can read Manga.club from your computer so they're expanding access. I peeked at the title list and didn't see anything there that I'd say is a must-read; they're definitely pushing this w/Titan's Bride because it's the only real big one in the bunch (:v:). Also the list is about 3/4 TL ("teens love" -- the ones that are basically smutty shoujo comics) with only a handful of BL titles. The list is VERY nsfw as well lol.

It's good to have more options to read stuff even if it's the trashy stuff though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Woo Boy Titan's Bride anime: I expected nothing but I'm still disappointed feeling is constant every time I see it mentioned.

I cont reading BL during the winter break and looking for nice art w/happier stories.

Attachment Love: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=152781

Kabukichou Bad Trip: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=170405

I'm still interested in the Given movie though :v: