Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been reading Attachment Love as well, it's pretty interesting. I'm curious what the younger guy's deal is after the last chapter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

I've been reading Attachment Love as well, it's pretty interesting. I'm curious what the younger guy's deal is after the last chapter!

Yeah, I like the artist's other works before too. I admit, I just want to move on from HS settings a lot too...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The digital release of The Cat Proposed is out today -- this is an amazon link and I also found it on B&N (nook format) but didn't see it at bookwalker so idk if it's just the proprietary ones like nook and kindle that went out today or what. The print version will go out in Feb.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thanks, I love cat ears and boys :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:same:

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
https://twitter.com/yummysuika/status/1345213380584468480?s=20

oh poo poo we goin to GHOST CITY

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:woop:

that's exciting, maybe it won't be a super long wait to get the next season

e: oh yeah don't forget about this as well
https://twitter.com/cuchallain/status/1330105518531211266?s=20

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 2, 2021

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
So I know absolutely nothing about this book, but I have bought two other books Kuma put out and they are super nice, really high quality print releases so if nothing else this will probably be a very nice book to have on your shelf (but hopefully it's also a fun story collection? I honestly have no idea lol)

https://twitter.com/kumapub/status/1346242347252682755?s=20

The other ones are Canis and Melting Lover and I do encourage picking up either or both of those if you'd like a really nice print BL manga. Canis especially is fantastic and I hope they also put out the following volumes.

e: Kuma is also putting out this manga by the same author later this year, and this one is already available on Renta if you'd like to preview some of their work (think I'll check this one out tbh). Looks like the art is really nice, but most of these look very smutty so proceed with caution if you have concerns there.

e2: another licensed one also on Renta
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=139203

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 5, 2021

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I read Shigatsu Kissa no Himitsu no Jiken-bo and their manga is really pretty :kimchi:

I'm still dreaming of the day I get to have a real personal IRL library now.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I finished TGCF and wasn't as much of a fan of the second arc compared to the first. It might be because the characters spent like 3 episodes in a dark pit, or because I got really confused by the plot by the end, or because the series is better binged in chunks rather than followed weekly. It was still pretty great overall and I'll definitely check out the continuation.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm still sitting on the last ep and haven't watched it yet but i think the last bit might work better if you watched it all as a block, some of the episode cut-offs felt kind of...arbitrary? like I was thinking wait that's the end of the episode? And yeah maybe not being in a dark pit the whole time would have been nice. I do like that they don't seem to be rushing it though, the whole season felt like it had a fairly relaxed pace and a lot of it was just characters talking and interacting rather than needing constant action in every episode.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is TGCF getting multiple seasons? It can't end like this!!!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xun posted:

Is TGCF getting multiple seasons? It can't end like this!!!

yeah 2nd season is already in production

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
the upcoming arcs have some really great moments and I'm hype for more of everyone's favorite genderfluid wind deity

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I read the Given chapter and conflicted about dropping it since the 1st couple was good but all the following side couples were bad and felt bad :thunk:

I hate moments where decent LI end up threatening terrible actions b/c they want to "prove" something to the other person or "scare" them away. I'm like why?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ok this is just adorable :3

https://mangadex.org/title/34665/karasugaoka-don-t-be-shy

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love them

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Vampire BL with gothic fantasy art style: https://mangadex.org/title/60083/dreaming-vampire

Reminds me of RoV and I'm just reading for the fancy art lol.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh I've read a couple of their manga, the cop one and the tattoo artist x model. The art was really pretty but the writing was a little ehhh, not terrible but both of them had a few things that kinda put me off. Those two were pure drama and the comedy of the vampire one looks promising though. lmao at the reveal that he can't go to comiket because of vampire hunters

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I do relate to the vampire since it's my dream to go to comiket too lol. Yeah, I read the French Revolution manga and there was like no real story but it looked cool :shrug:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

I do relate to the vampire since it's my dream to go to comiket too lol. Yeah, I read the French Revolution manga and there was like no real story but it looked cool :shrug:

There's a historical manhwa (slowly) getting translated called An Abyss you might check out, the art is pretty amazing (plot seems to be fairly dark though)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
suggest unlicensed BL to Seven Seas, get a Bookwalker coupon
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1349784308844793857?s=20

(or y'know, whatever other stuff you'd want them to pick up)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

There's a historical manhwa (slowly) getting translated called An Abyss you might check out, the art is pretty amazing (plot seems to be fairly dark though)

Thanks, I looked a few pages and everyone is v beautiful :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/TheOASG/status/1350080295333195777?s=20

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/yaoi_you/status/1350358277914169344

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oooo that one looks fun :o

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I just want to visit an aquarium now :v:

https://mangadex.org/title/59347/ero-yume-aquarium

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

vampire bl is always a plus

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

vampire bl is always a plus

:same:

Also consuming any kinda of fluffy BL to keep my spirits up for the next semester.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been reading a bunch of stuff on futekiya lately, and I'm not trying to like, shill for them or anything but I've just been really pleased with how much they've been expanding their library and how quickly they've been picking up new titles and they've also had a pretty good selection, at least as far as hitting stuff I like to read. Sometimes all I read are webtoons and don't have time for regular manga, sometimes I'm reading stuff on my kindle (both manga and just books), and sometimes I just want to sit on the couch and read manga on my computer which is what I've been doing lately so I've gone through quite a few of their newest additions and it's been a solid mix of different types of stories.

I was thinking about posting a bit about some of the new ones I've read the past couple of weeks, maybe when it's not midnight and I'm not too sleepy to form complete thoughts lol. Just wondering if there's any interest in that? I know :justpost: and all but if nobody has a sub or any interest in possibly getting one it's like...not sure if there's much point in getting into it too much since you won't be able to read them anywhere else other than maybe finding an uploaded rip.

I've been wanting to make another "where to start" or "must read titles" effortpost for there (I did a short one a while back) but was wondering if one that covered specifically newer stuff would be more useful? I guess what I'm looking for is some way to narrow it down, like if there's maybe a date range you might be interested in focusing on (new additions for 2021 maybe, or highlights of last year, etc.), or possibly specific questions like if there's a type of story or subgenre you want to read stuff in? I can just do whatever strikes me next time I'm in a big posting mood but having some parameters would be welcome.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I'm slowly amassing a list for when I can eventually get a sub. :justpost: :)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I would read it :kimchi:

I have a Jan sub since I wanted to read a new manga they licensed but I'm always happy to read recc'd lists.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh nice :D
I think what I'll do first then are some mini-reviews of the stuff I've read recently which are nearly all additions from this month, while they're fresh. Gotta work today so it'll be a little bit before I can get started but fortunately I've already talked about some of them on twitter and elsewhere so it won't be too hard to compile that into a post.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
decided to compile short reviews in a document as I read things so I'll just be working on that a little at a time for a while and will post when it's done.

I didn't know this was on Webtoon so FYI for anyone else who also didn't know; it's apparently a free to read one too so you just have to wait for chapters to unlock I think: Star Collector
https://twitter.com/TOKYOPOP/status/1351981518382641152?s=20

including the tweet because there's a survey and I like taking those. I told them they need to advertise their poo poo better; I keep finding out about stuff they've licensed or released like way after the fact because they don't promote things well.

Webtoon is also not a platform I associate with having a lot of BL titles, at least on the pro/paid section, so I'm honestly a little surprised that's where they went with it. The only thing I'm reading on there at the moment is Omniscient Reader so I barely open the app other than when that updates.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 21, 2021

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
oh poo poo i forgot about the cute merman bl webtoon i was reading

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
woops

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/junemanga/status/1352707612735918080?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
A bunch of Kodansha comics are available if you've got kindle unlimited or the comixology thing:
https://kodanshacomics.com/2021/01/27/more_kodansha_comics_manga_cu_ku/

found this on a BL forum if you want to find stuff easier:

quote:

To search for the full selection, use the kindle unlimited function on searches for NIHONBUNGEISHA, PRINTEMPS PUBLISHING, Medibang

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
if anyone is interested in reading stuff that got nominated for the Chil Chil awards this year this thread is covering all the stuff with English licenses:
https://twitter.com/boysloveparty/status/1355335366451093509?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
thoughts on a few of the new Futekiya uploads:

Office Love Sickness
A pretty dull office romance, really suffers from the MC being extremely wishy-washy. I did like that he took initiative during the sex scenes at least. Most of the angst between the leads felt very contrived, a lot of "I don't know how he feels but I can't have any sort of conversation about this whatsoever and will be miserable and distant instead!" The art was a bit inconsistent, sometimes it felt very expressive and natural and then sometimes it was kinda jank. I actually really liked how the married coworker side character was drawn, his face had a lot of character vs the bland look of the MCs, and it made me wish he had a bigger role. Another side character was introduced kinda midway and his issues around fitting in and whether or not he would get transferred ended up being more interesting than the main plot to me lol.

Everyday, Love Me More
Sweet & soft "re-encounter with a childhood friend in high school" story. It had a nice slow pace and the MC's family conflicts gave it some depth, and the two year age gap provided some conflict since the older lead was approaching graduation and going to leave for college soon. Nice art overall -- sometimes the love interest and the best friend were a little samefaced and I had to double check which one was which when they were all three on the page but otherwise very clean and consistent. I enjoyed the callback in one of the final chapters to the opening scene, and I'm glad it had enough room at the end to show a little of their dating life.

Stay with Good Boy
I dropped this one after one chapter; the art looked good but I didn't like the dubcon at all.

Crossing Paths in a Vegetable Garden
too much noncon, dropped it after two chapters -- I read a second one hoping it might get better but it didn't :(

Leave Your Marks on My Back
I have mixed feelings about this one; the setup being an affair and all of the characters being sort of scummy in various ways was pretty interesting, but I also didn't really like or connect with any of them very much. I also wasn't really a fan of the wife being essentially a non-character until almost the very end. The art was solid but at times was almost TOO detailed; it was a bit gross to me when it got really focused on various fluids or the inside of someone's mouth. I think this one overall just wasn't entirely to my taste.

Give Me a Nickname.
Incredibly good. I honestly wasn't sure where it was going to end up because the relationship between Jose and Amou was so intense, I was sure something was going to have to give somewhere. I wish I could articulate better why it was such a good story without giving anything away, but it's 100% worth a read.

e: a few more

My Love, Meine Liebe
Workplace fluff with a new superior who leads the MC around by the nose, ymmv depending on how you feel about that kind of story. Notable for having some of the dialogue in German, I have no idea if it does a good job with it but usually with this sort of thing you see a few phrases sprinkled in then they drop it entirely but this is like, full conversations over a whole chapter. Could be fun if you know German, at least to see if they butchered it lol. CW: MC has some trauma in his past -- an ex boyfriend pulled a switcharoo on him while he was blindfolded and brought in a stranger without telling him or getting consent

Home of the Biting Dragon
I also liked this one a lot -- the development of the leads from being essentially strangers, to antagonistic toward each other, to eventual friends then lovers was really enjoyable. There was enough history between them that it didn't feel rushed or unnatural, and I liked the share-house setting and the glimpses of their outside lives. There's a scene where the MC is reflecting on how he's been a complete rear end to a coworker that I thought was really well done; it dealt with a woman in a traditionally male working space and how she had to work extra hard to get respected at all and he undercut her efforts without even thinking about it while trying to do her a favor, and how frustrated she was. It was a nice bit of character development and made the setting feel more real.

Lying Devil
Here's another one with complicated characters who don't have a straightforward relationship; being a full two volumes really helped this one build the connection between the leads and explore their fairly dysfunctional romance + their professional relationship. They're both pretty frustrating people and you might want to strangle both of them by the end but I really liked this one and would recommend it for sure.

And a couple I read that aren't in the last batch of uploads:

Born to Love You
teacher x teacher, remembering their past lives as students at the same school
This one has a bit of mystery to it which made it pretty interesting; there's also a bit of spookiness in that the past lives are more like ghosts who get stronger the more they remember. I enjoyed this one quite a bit, especially since I was expecting mostly fluff and got a little bit more than I was anticipating with the story.

The Man on the Other Side
This one had an interesting setup with a very ordinary salaryman meeting a celebrity; the POV is mostly from the salaryman's side and we see a lot of his frustrations and insecurities. He's kind of an rear end in a top hat tbh, but grows (a little) and starts thinking about other peoples' perspectives. The celeb guy is sort of inscrutable for most of the story but it does eventually show his POV and what's going on in his head which makes him a little more understandable. It was interesting but a little unsatisfying for me to read overall, I think. I'm not really sure what was missing for me, maybe I needed a little more from the celeb's side earlier on because some of the way he acted was offputting even if you learn why he's acting like that later (it's because he's a weird maladjusted celeb lol).

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 30, 2021