Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
y'all the Feb releases are absolutely packed with good stuff :dance:

https://futekiya.com/futekiya-february-2021-releases/

On my phone so I'm not pasting the whole list but man this is going to be a good month for manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/fujoshi_unite/status/1356228777274200067?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:siren:
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1356618376513282049?s=20

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
OH poo poo

:yaycat: :yaycat: :yaycat:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/status/1356681697056669698?s=20

also this is out now; I got my copy over the weekend :woop:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Review of The Cat Proposed -- it goes over some plot details so fyi if you want to read the manga unspoiled

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Loling at the music after this guy gets the snot beat out of him

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

Review of The Cat Proposed -- it goes over some plot details so fyi if you want to read the manga unspoiled

Didn’t read the review and just went and bought the book because I was curious

Verdict: I liked it. I do wish this had another volume, just because I think the romantic arc could’ve used a tad more room to breathe. But I liked the art and the characters and overall found it charming

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want to get it but I need to get paid first :retrogames:

The first volume of Sasaki and Miyano is out as well, and I think there was something else I saw that just released ...can't remember what now though.

Glad to know it's good! I read the first chapter before it got licensed and it looked interesting.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
SUPER NATURAL is on Tapas now

Noburu has a problem, and his name is Daichi. The two beauty school students are good friends, but Noburu wishes they could become more. Daichi is everything Noburu isn’t: charismatic, a brilliant student, and a talented stylist. Too scared to be honest about his feelings, Noburu pushes Daichi away, leaving them both confused and hurt. With Noburu unable to open up and Daichi unable to understand, will the two ever become more than friends, or is even their friendship at risk of getting cut?

Ebook version is still available, you'd probably want to get it from bookwalker since they have all the chapters compiled in a volume, the version on amazon is loose chapters and it's about 2x as expensive to get it that way.

I'll probably read it on Tapas just because I've already got ink so that's money already spent lol. Plus if you're diligent about collecting the ink freebies you could potentially read this for $0.

It's interesting to me that more manga is showing up on webtoon platforms. I really prefer the ones that don't reformat -- I've seen some that completely redo the manga in a vertical format and it kinda jacks up the flow.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 5, 2021

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I want to get it but I need to get paid first :retrogames:

The first volume of Sasaki and Miyano is out as well, and I think there was something else I saw that just released ...can't remember what now though.

Glad to know it's good! I read the first chapter before it got licensed and it looked interesting.

It's cute and I love how there's a bunch of different cats in all the chapters since more cats = better.

Does that mean MC is now an immortal? otherwise their time is still limited on earth :(

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Marriage to the Wolf was getting a bunch of hype among my bl twitter friends so I checked it out this morning and uhhhhhhhh it was not for me. CW (plot spoiler): the wolf guy "regresses" from being a wolf person to just being An Actual Wolf and the bunny guy has sex with him while he is An Actual Wolf and also tranquilized, because they have to "become mates" to undo the regression and I was just like, what the gently caress why is this happening :psyduck: I thought this was going to be a cute story with some animal ear people not...that. There was other content I was not super OK with for instance the bunny guy has to take medicine to "change his body" which I assumed was setting the stage for some mpreg but it never got there fortunately, plus I'm not super into "sold into marriage" plot setups to start with but if that had been the most objectionable part I would have been way happier lmao.

There were some things I thought were interesting -- there was a lot of attention to detail with the worldbuilding and the regression back to their animal form part alone could have been interesting to explore; getting more about the wolf guy growing up drugged so that he never got to feel emotions and learning to actually feel things again would have been really compelling but it just kinda throws that out at the very end. I also liked that the wolf family wasn't just ambiguously rich, they were merchants and had a trade, and showing the bunny guy learning to fit into the family was also one of the more interesting parts to me. I guess I kind of expected more slice of life and emotional development and not...what I actually got. D:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
anyway here's something we can all enjoy :v:
https://twitter.com/yaoi_you/status/1358681091553460225?s=20

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Marriage to the Wolf was getting a bunch of hype among my bl twitter friends so I checked it out this morning and uhhhhhhhh it was not for me. CW (plot spoiler): the wolf guy "regresses" from being a wolf person to just being An Actual Wolf and the bunny guy has sex with him while he is An Actual Wolf and also tranquilized, because they have to "become mates" to undo the regression and I was just like, what the gently caress why is this happening :psyduck: I thought this was going to be a cute story with some animal ear people not...that. There was other content I was not super OK with for instance the bunny guy has to take medicine to "change his body" which I assumed was setting the stage for some mpreg but it never got there fortunately, plus I'm not super into "sold into marriage" plot setups to start with but if that had been the most objectionable part I would have been way happier lmao.

There were some things I thought were interesting -- there was a lot of attention to detail with the worldbuilding and the regression back to their animal form part alone could have been interesting to explore; getting more about the wolf guy growing up drugged so that he never got to feel emotions and learning to actually feel things again would have been really compelling but it just kinda throws that out at the very end. I also liked that the wolf family wasn't just ambiguously rich, they were merchants and had a trade, and showing the bunny guy learning to fit into the family was also one of the more interesting parts to me. I guess I kind of expected more slice of life and emotional development and not...what I actually got. D:

:stare:

oh yeah!!!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I was just like, what the gently caress why is this happening :psyduck:

You forgot the part where: The medicine to change his body was a strong aphrodisiac that pretty much knocked him out, and his 'husband''s brother snuck in to rape him every night, with the bunny guy assuming it was the guy he'd been betrothed to.
Lighthearted, fun. :v: I didn't like the series at all, and had forgotten about it until you brought it up. (Atleast I'm pretty sure it's the right story, it was just alluded to in a text bubble somewhere of the wolf guy admitting it wasn't him, I think.)

It's really obnoxious just how much BL stuff leans on non-con, either as a starting thing, or throughout. I feel like it's bizarrely common to have stories where the top is usually a huge piece of poo poo in the first chapters, and then the protagonists warm to them over time.
A great example is My Little Inferno https://read.futekiya.com/comic/5fc9a0a061218 Where -if you ignore/skip- the first 1-2 chapters, the other guy mellows out a lot and is pretty nice. But for whatever reason the guy is just a total piece of poo poo in his introduction.

I always wonder if a bit of it is the writers pushing for noncon early on, then pumping the brakes and easing off based on feedback, but I have no idea what kind of lead times these various projects work with, and if it's even possible for them to react to feedback within a couple chapters.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

SubNat posted:

You forgot the part where: The medicine to change his body was a strong aphrodisiac that pretty much knocked him out, and his 'husband''s brother snuck in to rape him every night, with the bunny guy assuming it was the guy he'd been betrothed to.
Lighthearted, fun. :v: I didn't like the series at all, and had forgotten about it until you brought it up. (Atleast I'm pretty sure it's the right story, it was just alluded to in a text bubble somewhere of the wolf guy admitting it wasn't him, I think.)

It's really obnoxious just how much BL stuff leans on non-con, either as a starting thing, or throughout. I feel like it's bizarrely common to have stories where the top is usually a huge piece of poo poo in the first chapters, and then the protagonists warm to them over time.
A great example is My Little Inferno https://read.futekiya.com/comic/5fc9a0a061218 Where -if you ignore/skip- the first 1-2 chapters, the other guy mellows out a lot and is pretty nice. But for whatever reason the guy is just a total piece of poo poo in his introduction.

I always wonder if a bit of it is the writers pushing for noncon early on, then pumping the brakes and easing off based on feedback, but I have no idea what kind of lead times these various projects work with, and if it's even possible for them to react to feedback within a couple chapters.

I honestly didn't forget but it was almost just business as usual for BL noncon that the other stuff stood out more lol

Mostly just based on what I've read in authors' afterwords about how they came up with stories, it sounds like a lot of them just start off with some kind of general concept or trope they want to explore or are given to them by an editor, and once that part is out of the way then things kind of fall into the standard 5-6 chapter romance progression. Some people also genuinely like reading that kind of thing so it's not like there isn't an audience for it.

For me it tends to be sort of a spectrum: on one end I can look at it like a flaw (major/minor depending on how extreme it goes) in something I otherwise like and is something to be mindful about if I'm going to talk about the manga, to the other end of being a complete dealbreaker, drop the manga immediately nope I'm out. I'm not even really consistent with where stuff falls all the time either, other than I don't deliberately seek out noncon/dubcon as a thing I like to read it's just something to awkwardly step over like a turd on an otherwise nice path lol.

I think it's something that enough people either like reading or want to explore as a fantasy or in their writing that it's probably not going to go away, since it's also not a trope that's exclusive to BL but is pretty deeply ingrained in romance writing on general. Mostly I like knowing upfront if it's in there and I can decide whether or not to avoid or press on. That's why I ended up posting about the wolf manga, because I wouldn't want someone else to just stumble into that unaware.

I'm glad to hear that the guy in Inferno isn't a piece of poo poo for the entire manga. Sometimes the point IS to write something that's not entirely comfortable or pleasant and I was wondering if that one was going in that direction, and while sometimes it's refreshing when one or both leads are awful people I do lean more toward fluff and quiet slice of life stuff and had kinda given that one the side-eye after reading the first chapter and hadn't gotten back to it.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 9, 2021

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I rmb that manga and I'm eternally sad it was a waste of cute character designs and bun boys.

Yeah, a lot of BL I start reading is me wondering is this really dub-con or straight-up non-con which is never properly tagged? Also reflected in romance manga so I start series thinking at least Shojo is less extreme when it shows up.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Sometimes the point IS to write something that's not entirely comfortable or pleasant and I was wondering if that one was going in that direction, and while sometimes it's refreshing when one or both leads are awful people I do lean more toward fluff and quiet slice of life stuff and had kinda given that one the side-eye after reading the first chapter and hadn't gotten back to it.

Yeah, I can't remember exactly how it was, but the first chapter is the worst of it, then it steadily steps down from there. To the point where I don't really understand why the cover art and etc emphasize it as much as it does.
It doesn't take long before they're hanging out, watching let's plays in their pajamas like the nerds they are. The annoying thing to me is that they could easily have had the exact same structure to the start of the series + their relationship without the noncon.
It just feels like it's there to check off a tag.

For me it tends to be sort of a spectrum: on one end I can look at it like a flaw (major/minor depending on how extreme it goes) in something I otherwise like and is something to be mindful about if I'm going to talk about the manga, to the other end of being a complete dealbreaker, drop the manga immediately nope I'm out. I'm not even really consistent with where stuff falls all the time either, other than I don't deliberately seek out noncon/dubcon as a thing I like to read it's just something to awkwardly step over like a turd on an otherwise nice path lol.

Yeah, it's always contextual to the story and characters, but it's very rare for me to like a series with it/despite it. And the turd analogy is apt, it's feels like there's a good chance I'll accidentally step into some noncon when I just browse series based on their name/cover, etc. Like I often do on my tablet.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
In case anyone else wasn't aware of this, since I just found it the other day poking around on the site, Futekiya has a fairly robust tag search that lets you exclude things including dubious consent.

I was actually using it to search for things that weren't anthologies because I keep finding those when I'm in the mood for a longer story so it was nice to be able to exclude them. If you check some stuff on both include *and* exclude it might not give you any results back so it seems to work best if you just kinda pick one or the other but I haven't messed with it that extensively and could have just hit a bad combo.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
is there not an and/or selector?

also ive always wondered if people cast consensual noncon under the dubcon umbrella

vvvv oh poo poo!!

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 9, 2021

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:siren: MADK Vol 1 is out today :siren:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

is there not an and/or selector?

also ive always wondered if people cast consensual noncon under the dubcon umbrella

vvvv oh poo poo!!

Not really. I slowly moved to 85% reading BL for my manga hobby but usually, it's just filed under normal themes.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/TheOASG/status/1360249807059570688?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1360358743247101954?s=20

I was hoping they'd keep going with the series; hopefully that means we'll get Blanc and the continuation after that one eventually.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Old-fashioned cupcake has a sequel and it's good :kimchi:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

Old-fashioned cupcake has a sequel and it's good :kimchi:

I love them so much
The first one ranked really high on some BL awards so I'd almost bet it gets licensed soon, got my fingers crossed I'd love to buy an English copy (I bought a jp one so I could at least show some support to the author since it's so good)

got some BIG license announcements from Sublime today, I'm just gonna separate those into another post

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:siren: New Licenses :siren:
https://twitter.com/SuBLimeManga/status/1361072806612508674?s=20
https://twitter.com/SuBLimeManga/status/1361087868009992192?s=20
https://twitter.com/SuBLimeManga/status/1361103126787334146?s=20

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I finally watched the given movie and I want more :(

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
the special episode of TGCF/Heaven Official's Blessing is out. spoilers, it's cute

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
someday I'll have power again and be able to watch it; thanks for the heads up!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/SquareEnixBooks/status/1362492082699575296?s=19

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
oh poo poo that's getting localized?! That's a very very good manga

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/BLUPDATE2020/status/1364181790756282370?s=20

here are some dramas if anyone needs something new to watch

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
heeeyyyy remember Love Stage? They're still putting stuff out for it (jp, not english alas)
https://twitter.com/sarerunet/status/1364572904210518017?s=20

I'd love to see the Back Stage manga (and novels) licensed though

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
an article about censorship in BL (google translate gets it more or less readable)
https://twitter.com/blymeyaoi/status/1365121402555273216?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
idk if this accomplishes anything but it's pretty neat they included a BL manga as an option. https://twitter.com/dakarane_/status/1362379074987905028?s=20

Blue Sky Complex could easily be a Given-level show if it was animated, it's a really good character-focused story. Voting is pretty easy and they only ask for gender & age and you can vote as many times as you want, looks like so if there's other stuff in the list you want to toss some votes to, you don't have to just pick one (just one vote per submission).
:goon:

e: I linked to that thread b/c that person has some instructions on how to vote in case it's not clear enough.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 26, 2021

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was checking out the new releases on Tapas and they've added some BL manga (not webcomics) -- these have all been published other places as well but here's another way to read them, potentially for free if you're diligent about collecting the free ink every week.

Midday Moon
Zhenniao
The Vampire and the Virgin Rose

if you want to read these via their app you need to subscribe to them through a browser first, since the mature section isn't accessable on the app (but chapters are discounted so definitely use the app to actually read them)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

if you want to read these via their app you need to subscribe to them through a browser first, since the mature section isn't accessable on the app (but chapters are discounted so definitely use the app to actually read them)

:psyduck: How are these companies so bad at this.
'Use our app to get a discount, meaning that we essentially punish you for daring to read things in-browser.' (Even though mechanics like one-tap-unlocks could work just fine in browsers.)
'But also you have to find and add things in the browser to read them on the app.'

It's so counter intuitive, especially when they make such efforts to funnel users into using the app.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it has to do with them having to work around Google/Apple's content restrictions. If they let you directly get to adult content on the app, their app gets pulled. Lezhin gets around this by having the option to directly install an apk of a version of their app that includes all the 18+ content, but if you get their app through the play store it's only got access to the all-ages stuff.

Webtoons are easier to read on mobile so that's kind of the natural way to deliver them, so in an ideal world you'd have all the content on the app but our tech overlords have decreed no porn allowed (despite the fact that webtoons are generally highly censored and hardly count as pornographic imo)

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Sigh. Yeah, that makes sense. Obtuse double standards all the way. If they wanted to be consistent they'd enforce safe-browsing on all the browsers you can install as well.
And you're right, looking up the TOS and there's a blanket ban on adult content on the Google Play store atleast. (Which forces people who want porn to sideload things, which of course exposes them to malicious third parties more than they would on a curated store like Play.(Though 'curated' is a stretch, it is google after all.))

I guess Tapas might do something similar once their mature section has grown more. Once there's enough users to justify it I suppose.