Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Other than Pageau, or Namestnikov are any of those guys worth it?

Also is this s good draft to just have like 12-15 picks for?

I wouldn't mind getting Duke back, but that might be pricy given his sample size this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Keith Mars posted:

Strong as gently caress defensive defenseman. Fan favorite type. Big, mean, first to join a scrum and will drop the gloves in a pinch. Skates better than you'd expect (it's been a focus for him since coming over from the Stars) and can carry the puck through the zones, but typically he was relegated to passing to Burns or Karlsson and letting them advance the puck or attempt [stupid loving] homerun passes. Also spent time on shutdown lines with Vlasic and other defensive D.

For what it's worth, when Karlsson was at a PPG pace and playing at his best last year, he and Dillon were joined at the hip. They were one of the best D-pairings in the league before Karlsson hurt his groin.

Absolutely zero offense. Can't get the puck through from the point, doesn't make timely pinches like Vlasic does occasionally, just nothing. But that's why he's a #4 and not a #1 or #2.

He's at his best defending along the corner boards, one hand on the stick to prevent the cutback move and the second hand to shove the forward right to the loving floor. He loves doing that and I guarantee you will see it in his first game as a Cap. He's also got excellent flow, and he did this the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFx7_ijZyts

Committed murder against Yanni Gourde a few weeks ago, dude looked like he got shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K8Q9luHhqI

Don't admire your pass kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tufDSfF_yzM

I could watch these all day. He's a great locker room guy by all accounts and has won team awards for his community service. You got a gem there.

Thanks for this. There's a lot to be said about systems, but having a dude who can be a presence in the crease does not hurt. Maybe I have Brooks Orpik poisoning, but it's true.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Chad Sexington posted:

Thanks for this. There's a lot to be said about systems, but having a dude who can be a presence in the crease does not hurt. Maybe I have Brooks Orpik poisoning, but it's true.

We definitely have a lack of someone crosschecking people into Holtby while ignoring the puck.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

hate the overpay here

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

TRAAAAAAAADES

https://twitter.com/mapleleafs/status/1230160289695440896?s=21

Boy, actual deadline day is gonna be a dud, huh?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Well now that Denis Malgin is off the board, what else is even on offer?

e: https://twitter.com/twolinepass/status/1230164420199944195

Sure, why not

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 19, 2020

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County
There's some speculation Dillon picked Washington too. He's been a trade rumor target for a while now (UFA, sharks not making the playoffs, cap-strapped with way too much money on defense), and he broke down during the last post game when asked if it might be his last home game as a shark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbljWeZnyFE

San Jose Mercury News posted:

It was easy then for Wilson to see how much the upcoming trade deadline was wearing on Dillon. Wilson said he spoke with other general managers to try and get something done sooner rather than later.

“This was a day that the trigger was going to get pulled,” Wilson said. “We worked the phones extensively. We knew where exactly where every team was, set expectations.

“I had a long talk with him after. Very emotional. It tells you how much he cares. We’ve been in touch with every single team in the league, and if you can do something to help the player who’s going through that, especially somebody who has contributed like he has to our organization, we decided to step up and do that.”

Both Ryane Clowe and TJ Galiardi, despite not having any sort of NTC, were presented a list of teams with acceptable offers and they got to pick their destination.

That Caps team is going to play with an edge in the playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f83Iju-IvA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gROchOBIV7I

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1230163025522499588

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

hosed if we know. Discord chat is just confusion, nobody disliked Malgin and nobody knows why we brought someone else in who doesn't seem to be a step up, any cheaper, or any help to us right now while giving someone who is capable to the one team we need to lose as many games as possible.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The rumor going around is that Botterill got burned so badly on previous trades (most notably O’Reilly) that he is afraid to gently caress up which is why he has barely made any trades. Also that nobody wants our lovely players and the other GM’s won’t take his calls or whatever.

Sure would be nice if we could trade like Risto and somebody else for a center. But at this rate Bots might make zero calls between now and the deadline which would be hilarious.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1230180123581845505

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The rumor going around is that Botterill got burned so badly on previous trades (most notably O’Reilly) that he is afraid to gently caress up which is why he has barely made any trades. Also that nobody wants our lovely players and the other GM’s won’t take his calls or whatever.

Sure would be nice if we could trade like Risto and somebody else for a center. But at this rate Bots might make zero calls between now and the deadline which would be hilarious.

I'm honestly not sure what the Sabres have that other teams would really want. Vesey as a low cost rental maybe. No one wants their lovely D

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why did the Panthers move Malgin (a decent NHLer) for an older, far shittier AHLer?

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/1230172613269323776?s=19

gently caress that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Why did the Panthers move Malgin (a decent NHLer) for an older, far shittier AHLer?

Dale Tallon Is A Bad GM

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Getting a serviceable body for Simmonds would be a win for Fitzgerald

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Getting a serviceable body for Simmonds would be a win for Fitzgerald

He should have negative value and necessitate taking a bad contract back but GMs sure love guys who scored 30 goals one time.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

He should have negative value and necessitate taking a bad contract back but GMs sure love guys who scored 30 goals one time.

He's one of those locker room grit guys that teams like Vancouver need in the playoffs am I right

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

He's one of those locker room grit guys that teams like Vancouver need in the playoffs am I right

He'll rally the troops with his inspiring tales of multiple first round exits at the hands of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Levitate posted:

I'm honestly not sure what the Sabres have that other teams would really want. Vesey as a low cost rental maybe. No one wants their lovely D

Maybe somebody will take pity on poor Risto and thinks that he has been misused here and would flourish on another team? McCabe needs to go but he is bad and has a huge contract for no reason so why would anybody want that?

Rodriguez could go, he has like 6 goals in his last 11 games or something! Zero in the previous 40. Other than that idk who they would get rid of?? Probably not Reinhart.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Martinez to Vegas

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1230214968370442246?s=21

E: for two 2nds

https://twitter.com/pierrevlebrun/status/1230216060114210817?s=21

larkko fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 19, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1230209310996692992

Sure.

Keith Mars posted:

There's some speculation Dillon picked Washington too. He's been a trade rumor target for a while now (UFA, sharks not making the playoffs, cap-strapped with way too much money on defense), and he broke down during the last post game when asked if it might be his last home game as a shark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbljWeZnyFE

Both Ryane Clowe and TJ Galiardi, despite not having any sort of NTC, were presented a list of teams with acceptable offers and they got to pick their destination.

These types of things are cool. It came out when it was apparent there wasn't going to be a spot for Gregory Campbell in Columbus, Jarmo tried to trade him to keep him in the league before he was forced to send him down.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 19, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rob Blake stockin hella up on picks

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Happy trails Martinez. He's still good!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

AngryBooch posted:

Happy trails Martinez. He's still good!

He isn't.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The Detriot M-NTC and NTCs - Wow is this team trash.
UFAs – Mike Green's Corpse, Jonathan Ericsson, Trevor Daley, Alex Biega, Jimmy Howard
2 Years Left – Helm, Val Filppula, Luke Glendenning, Patrk Nemeth

Notables: Helm with half retained could make a serviceable 3rd line player. Mike Green in super soft deployments with powerplay time might help someone. Just wow is this team trash. Unless you're landing AA, Mantha, Bertuzi, or Hronek don't trade with Detroit.

New Jersey Devils – We won't be winning the #1 pick because Hall is gone :(
UFA – Wayne Simmonds, Kevin Rooney, Vatanen
2 Years Left – Zajac, Palmieri, Gusev, Connor Carrick

Lol if you trade for these guys: Carrick and Rooney are bad.

1 year guys: Wayne started the season well and has since slowed up significantly. His time with Nashville was poor. If he's mega cheap....maybe? Unlikely to workout imo.
Vatanen – Good shot contributions. 23 points with 12 on evens. Not great zone entrance or exit stats. I think Vatanen could be an effective pickup especially for a team that can push him down the lineup right now. Can also give some PP utility. Could be useful but I don't think he massively changes the needle.

The 2 Year guys: Gusev – Volume guy. Best 5v5 CF/60, Shot For/60, 3rd best GF/60, 5th best xGF/60, best chance for/60 and 5th High dangers. However, gives up even more than he gets. Middle of the pack with shot contributions and ok to bad on zone entries and exits. Only the first year in the league, but at 27 it's hard to think how much better he could be. I'd compare him to Kahun who is a more rounded player and 3 years younger. One other note: Best Points/60 5v5 of NJ

Zajac – Only player left for the NJD with a positive 5v5 shot split. Absolutely brutal 40% goals for split however he's receiving .891 when on the ice. Can do a lot of everything. Eating 60% defensive zone splits and not getting killed too much. I think he could be a very helpful addition to a lot of teams looking for some depth and if NJ retain could be a great add for 2.875mil

Palmieri – Great shot contributions 5v5. Best forward for NJ in that category. On his way to 50+ points and if he maintains current pace would hit 32-33 goals. Entrance/Exit stats are ok not great. Shooting 3% higher than his NJ average but 16% isn't completely insane. Would be a very nice offensive add and even better if NJ retain.

Quick Note: Jesper Bratt could be an absolute beast if Jersey would play him. Also Blake Coleman is probably going to be insanely annoyingly loving good for Tampa.

New York Ranger – We would be in the hunt out west. Stupid Metro.
I know Levitate did a nice write up as well (which I've just re-read) so I'm interested to see where we overlap.
UFA- Kreider, Fast, McKegg, Georgiev (RFA)
2 Years Left – Smith, Staal, and Hank.

Georgiev – Toronto, Nashville, and Vegas should all be interested here. We've been over Toronto a bit already in N/V. The Panthers are straight up being sunk by goaltending. Same for Nashville. In Las Vegas Flower has been ok but he's 35 now. Subban is most definitely not the answer. Not sure if LVK wants to give up more assets though...

Kreider – Has to be up there is JSP in terms of highest impact player obviously available. I'd have concerns about over payment here. 3% higher shooting percentage over career. Corsi Rel is positive. Slightly upside down on shot split. Has fantastic actual goal split of 58% for, BUT Natural Stat gives an xG split of 43%. That's a 15% gulf which is :stare: middle of the team on zone exits, 4th best on zone entries, and ok shot contributions. I could see someone betting big and Kreider flopping hard.

Jesper Fast – For 1.8 or 900k with 50% retained appears to be one of those sneaky nice pickups. If I was asking the Rangers about someone Fast would be my guy. 30Pt player that Pks, A bit behind where Kreider is with shot contributions, on par with zone entires, and a bit behind Kreider at zone exits. He's spent a lot of time with Panarin and Strome so he might be buoyed by Bread, but for what Fast would cost he could be well worth a gamble.

In regards to Skjei unless the Rangers get an absolute haul they shouldn't trade him. He's 25 plenty of years left on the deal. Strome is an interesting one. Going to be a career year for him. 35 even strength points, 2nd best shot creator on the Rangers, trails only Panarin in zone exits (for a forward) and has adequate entry stats. Feels like you'd give him a bridge and see how it goes.

Edit: LAK, Anaheim, and SJS next. Might cut down on the wordiness. Lot going on here.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 19, 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

rex rabidorum vires posted:

In regards to Skjei unless the Rangers get an absolute haul they shouldn't trade him. He's 25 plenty of years left on the deal. Strome is an interesting one. Going to be a career year for him. 35 even strength points, 2nd best shot creator on the Rangers, trails only Panarin in zone exits (for a forward) and has adequate entry stats. Feels like you'd give him a bridge and see how it goes.

I think with Skjei it's more that they gambled on giving him a long term contract and he honestly hasn't quite lived up to it. I think he'd do better on another team with more of a veteran support structure and system in place, but if you could move him and get out from his contract while sliding in a prospect or maybe cheaper guy you traded for then I think you consider it. He's not good enough to be untouchable except for a "haul" IMO, but I also think that trading him now is a long shot.

I feel Strome's numbers are inflated as gently caress by playing with Panarin but for the most part that's OK, you still need players who can play with your stars. Bigger issue is needing a better winger for that line than Fast who can do some heavy lifting on the boards but when his offense wanes it just starts to kill production on that line.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Nill should trick someone into taking the big rig off our hands for some depth.

Lol, jk, he loves terrible D men that are awful at everything (see: roman Polak playing 20 mins a night)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers are reportedly asking for a 1st, top prospect, roster player/less prospect, and a conditional pick if Kreider re-signs.

Fuckin' sky high asking price there but honestly also good that they're sticking to their guns and not just selling him for peanuts. I also kind of have to think that they are prepared to re-sign him if they don't get which is interesting.

Also sky high ask for Georgiev and sounds like they aren't going to be afraid to push Lundqvist out if they have to

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I remember being kinda upset about sending howden and hajak to the rangers and just looked them up the other night and :laffo: no one trade for any lightning early round picks that aren’t top five.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Wonderllama posted:

I remember being kinda upset about sending howden and hajak to the rangers and just looked them up the other night and :laffo: no one trade for any lightning early round picks that aren’t top five.

I mean they're both still like 22

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Levitate posted:

*ThinkTank chart lurks menacingly in the background, waiting to burst forth in 2 years*

Howden at least seems mostly just... passable? he's a guy, and he's there, and he will do things and then go back to the bench, and nobody is really upset or sad

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The VGK brass will be the last people on Earth to admit VGK has a goaltending problem, much less think about making a trade to solve it.

I have a hard time imagining Lundqvist getting traded:

First, a team has to be a potential contender except that their goaltending is such a disaster that just-about-done Lundqvist would be a big upgrade.
Second, the cap space has to work (tricky, even assuming NYR eats a bunch)
Third, Lundqvist has to accept a trade there (so not Carolina, not Columbus, not Edmonton, probably not Philly)

I dunno. It kinda feels like Maple Leafs or bust, unless MAF gets hurt and makes VGK desperate. But I'm not sure how those teams could make it work taxwise and also not even sure Lundqvist would accept a trade to either of them.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 20, 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Aye Doc posted:

*ThinkTank chart lurks menacingly in the background, waiting to burst forth in 2 years*

Howden at least seems mostly just... passable? he's a guy, and he's there, and he will do things and then go back to the bench, and nobody is really upset or sad

Hajek is a defenseman and it's not unusual I think for them to take a few years to get up to NHL speed. He has size, skating, and can move the puck, he just seems like he hasn't quite put it together in the NHL yet. Maybe he never does, but he's got 2nd pair potential perhaps.

Howden sucks and makes me upset. He seems like he really can't think the NHL game right now...like he'll get the puck and just throw it someplace like he thinks he's acting on instinct and skill but he's actually just not aware of what's going on. He'll skate into the zone and then get clueless with what to do with the puck. He can make some nice plays now and then but honestly I think the Rangers did him a big disservice by not sending him to the AHL at some point. He could still get better but he's frustrating

That said I don't think anyone thought those guys were A level prospects to start with

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

I have a copy of it hanging in my attic and day by day NHL peak production gets younger and younger and I mysteriously retain my youthful glow.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 20, 2020

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/MapleLeafs/status/1230296194036965377?s=19

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
People were excited for him for about 5 minutes. Currently has 10 points in 33 AHL games as a 24 year old

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

People were excited for him for about 5 minutes. Currently has 10 points in 33 AHL games as a 24 year old

You just described literally every hyped up college free agent ever.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Levitate posted:

Wasn’t trying to slam the rangers. The lightning are just hilariously bad at drafting in the first round.

But then they pick kucherov in the second and point in the third.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

You just described literally every hyped up college free agent ever.

Wow rude Justin Schultz turned out pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Denis Malgin has felt invisible since 2018 ended regardless what the stats say. He also wasn't well-liked by Coach Q and kept getting scratched, so it made sense that he'd eventually get traded. Just sucks the Panthers got literally nothing for him. I initially thought it would set up another move, but the comment about Malgin's agent wanting him out is probably the main reason for the trade.