Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FriedMyBrain
Dec 31, 2019

by Cyrano4747
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/02/18/806721827/boy-scouts-of-america-files-for-bankruptcy

Boy Scouts that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
didnt this happen a few years ago or were they in the process of going bankrupt

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

As a former Boy Scout, good, gently caress the Boy Scouts and their poo poo attitudes and organizational beliefs.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Sounds like a good thing to me; now maybe they will actually take some action to protect kids from abuse in the future rather than ignoring it and letting "sexual abuse insurance" cover it.

FriedMyBrain
Dec 31, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Robo Reagan posted:

didnt this happen a few years ago or were they in the process of going bankrupt

Nope just now

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Why would anyone join the scouts when you can just get all your knives from BUDK and avoid getting your butthole tongue punched by the assistant P.E teacher.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

The_Continental posted:

Why would anyone join the scouts when you can just get all your knives from BUDK and avoid getting your butthole tongue punched by the assistant P.E teacher.
Sounds like someone's PE teacher was an amateur asslicker.

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-

Pawn 17 posted:

Sounds like a good thing to me; now maybe they will actually take some action to protect kids from abuse in the future rather than ignoring it and letting "sexual abuse insurance" cover it.

Apparently, the several thousand ongoing lawsuits against them by abuse victims is actually a big part of it.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Sounds like someone's PE teacher was an amateur asslicker.

how else are you gonna get that badge

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
You know, the scouts were terrible and all but God drat those were some snappy uniforms.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Good riddance imo. One religious child rape cult down, who's next :smug:

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Nice, lets take down the red cross next!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Maybe girl scouts can expand to accept boys now.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Salem Saberhagen posted:

You know, the scouts were terrible and all but God drat those were some snappy uniforms.

For an organization that hates gays so much, you'd think they would ditch accessories like neckerchiefs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gently caress this organization and the victims they created and the abusers they enabled. Bankruptcy while good is not justice.

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009

Rad-daddio posted:

For an organization that hates gays so much, you'd think they would ditch accessories like neckerchiefs.

Its needed for the autoerotique asphyxiation badge.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Does this mean I no longer have to deal with those assholes trying to sell me lovely popcorn when I'm leaving the grocery store?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Traxis posted:

Does this mean I no longer have to deal with those assholes trying to sell me lovely popcorn when I'm leaving the grocery store?

wtf is it with the Boy Scouts and selling loving popcorn?

Are they hoping to catch the average person at the one time a year they have a brief craving for popcorn?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hope Girl Scouts picks up the slack so even more people can be murdered each year in shootouts over the last box of tagalongs

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Did I mis-remember, or did the original Boy Scout handbook have a section on how to avoid masturbation?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Rad-daddio posted:

wtf is it with the Boy Scouts and selling loving popcorn?

Are they hoping to catch the average person at the one time a year they have a brief craving for popcorn?

Boy Scouts (or maybe it was ‘cub scouts’?) in Canada made me stand outside the sketchiest liquor stores in the city as a kid selling apples. We were supposed to ask for 2 bucks but say any donation is fine. Most of my apples ended up taken by homeless people who would give me a nickel or whatever. One time a guy tried to give me a bottle of vodka he stole from the liquor store. I was like... 7 or 8 years old

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Boy Scouts (or maybe it was ‘cub scouts’?) in Canada made me stand outside the sketchiest liquor stores in the city as a kid selling apples. We were supposed to ask for 2 bucks but say any donation is fine. Most of my apples ended up taken by homeless people who would give me a nickel or whatever. One time a guy tried to give me a bottle of vodka he stole from the liquor store. I was like... 7 or 8 years old

i stole 100% of my apples ha ha ha ha

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

good trade

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Traxis posted:

no now they're gonna have to sell even more popcorn to cover their legal fees

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was in scouts twice in elementary school, in different cities, and my only good memory is watching the scoutmaster's goat take a giant crap and laughing my rear end off about it.

Mostly it was just incredibly boring.

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
If you are a boy scout til 19 years old (regal scout) Do you HAVE to join the military? Also do regal scouts get to carry guns?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Salem Saberhagen posted:

The fabric sucked rear end the majority of the time and was scratchy crap better suited for an office than doing anything outdoors and the patches were sow on only making the situation worse

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Great, gently caress the Scouts.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Salem Saberhagen posted:

If you are a boy scout til 19 years old (regal scout) Do you HAVE to join the military? Also do regal scouts get to carry guns?

No but you get to sit alone in the cafeteria as a 5th year senior.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

During my brief tenure with the scouts, i remember a couple of chapters in the scout handbook was dedicated to recognizing signs of a sexual abuser. Stranger danger and all that.

Maybe they should have given their scout leaders a manual telling them not to abuse kids too

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As I said in the Boomer thread, they will be all "The Scouts made me the man i am today! Kids today would rather play fore night and tock tick than sleep under the stars and learn how to tie knots! Yea sometimes your scout master would get into your sleeping bag naked, but we really lived!".

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009

The_Continental posted:

No but you get to sit alone in the cafeteria as a 5th year senior.

But I showed those girls all the cool knots I can tie! Why am I alone?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Salem Saberhagen posted:

Youre talking to the wrong kind of girls

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i was in the bsa and had a good time and didn't get abused, did i mess up somehow?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I remember the scouts advertising to me and my third grade class but I swiftly passed on it.

The only thing I remember was that this one kid who called my house for weeks asking if he can sleep over and the one time he did he tried biting me and completely broke my N64's reset button before vomiting in the driveway joined the scouts and he was super proud of a super lovely ant he made out of twist ties at the scouts and even I knew this poo poo sucked.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Salem Saberhagen posted:

heres a few reasons aside from the fact that you're nearly 20 years old and still in high schoool:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Jeff K. looking all right

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I did learn a lot of cool stuff in the Scouts and by the time I was in (late 90s to early 00s) they had started including more poo poo to do with electronics, building soap box racers was sick and so was making fast pinewood derby cars.

None of this was poo poo that for any reason has to be limited to Boy Scouts though and the popcorn sucked poo poo. Also the obvious Christian slant was insanely obnoxious. I'm not going to increase my Relationship Level with Christ while my dad is cussing because he cut his finger as we built a kite together. The camping was a mixed bag, you either got an insanely strict overbearing Scout Leader who basically treated it as glorified babysitting or you had a cool adult that let you go off and nature study and work independently on crap from your workbook.

It's an organization that on a practical level was cool to be a part of, but was ultimately degraded by the religious aspect, the conservatism, how extremely homogeneous the demographic was, and of course, the child molestation which I was lucky enough to avoid.
The kids were just pressured into it by their parents the majority of the time and just wanted to go to the zoo or make sweet pinewood cars, there was always the super serious hyper religious kids but they were few and far inbetween, the closer you got to Eagle Scout the more prevalent they became until they were basically the only ones left because the Scout mindset and beliefs and core "principals" became emphasized at that level which scared off all the kids that weren't Young Republican automatons.

Anyway suck my balls Boy Scouts of America and gently caress Mr. Zimmer who got me in trouble because I punched a kid who kept trying to give me a wet willy.

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009

The_Continental posted:

some sweet gear

Looks like someone's ready for the jamboree!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

it would be cool if there were organizations like the scouts but not tied to weird gender stereotypes and rape

I think learning skills and being independent and networking and all that poo poo are great and there should be environments where these things happen

It bothers me how much effort I see into negative things like destabilizing geographical regions and we can't take a fraction of that knowhow to greedily teach our own people how to survive

like dang if 'you people' are going to be jingoistic xenophobes at least have something worth being a poo poo heel over