Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah she kind of was. I was too.

Oh, to be young again.

Did you ever kill a homeless man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

We did.

In the Scouts I mean.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Like, just for the thrill of it?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

All these people suggesting girl scouts take over the camping make me wonder if those people are comically misinformed as to the nature of girl scouts or if they managed to stop being a bunch of sexist nonsense that's a good century out of date in the last decade or two.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Every activity centered around building virtually anything was inevitably tainted by the dads with Randian levels of competitive urge living vicariously through their children by making their son watch them build something and maybe like use a drill once and then act like their dad only just "helped" when it came time to show off what you made.

Of course the kid would rush to take credit anyway so it's like the Boy Scout version of your dad giving you a small loan of a million dollars then claiming you got rich by working hard in the end they were all complicit and to be destroyed.

This is what Cub/Boyscouts is. Also the all of the 'noble savage' stuff.
Everytime a scout went up a rank there was a whole ceremony that was about how you have claimed this mountain and then you saw others.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

No I've never killed a homeless person, despite their best attempts to suddenly dart in front of my car.

My place of work is literally two buildings down from a homeless shelter. And in the morning it serves breakfast no questions asked to all takers, so it makes a LOT of traffic then. They are always going in an and out in the morning and they don't give one flying gently caress about the road. Just raggety folks pushing carts into and out of the road, lolligagging around on bikes back and forth in super long arcs, walking across the street a single digit degree angles. I swear some of them must want to end it all the way they go straight into the road not even checking or caring if a car is coming. Every once in a while one will be sleeping in our entryway when I show up in the morning. It's rare but it happens. I try to be gentle about getting them awake and on their way, they don't need any more grief in their life coming from me. None of them have ever given me any direct trouble.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

1redflag posted:

Like, just for the thrill of it?

For us it was compulsory

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

For us it was compulsory

Those poor Chechens

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

my dog died im sad posted:

This is what Cub/Boyscouts is. Also the all of the 'noble savage' stuff.
Everytime a scout went up a rank there was a whole ceremony that was about how you have claimed this mountain and then you saw others.

That owns tbh and if I had that as a child I would probably be a lot better adjusted now.

Ceremonies own and I don't see what it has to do with 'noble savage stuff' whatever it may be

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Colonel Cancer posted:

That owns tbh and if I had that as a child I would probably be a lot better adjusted now.

Ceremonies own and I don't see what it has to do with 'noble savage stuff' whatever it may be

Because Boy Scouts has a fuckton of generalized Native American poo poo while being a primarily white and Christian organization.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Because Boy Scouts has a fuckton of generalized Native American poo poo while being a primarily white and Christian organization.

To add some detail, it even has baby's first Masons that amps it up to literal cosplay.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I don't know enough about boy scouts lore to comment on specifics but native Americans didn't like invent paganism or whatever

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Boy Scouts is the original lovely summer camp pretending to be an Indian tribe for white kids.

https://www.voanews.com/usa/native-americans-boy-scouts-stop-plundering-our-past

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Colonel Cancer posted:

I don't know enough about boy scouts lore to comment on specifics but native Americans didn't like invent paganism or whatever

Dude I'm talking like the camp group putting on headdresses and allusions to teepees and random ceremonies from varying Native cultures appropriated in weird ways. I don't know why you think I'm talking about paganism.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Dude I'm talking like the camp group putting on headdresses and allusions to teepees and random ceremonies from varying Native cultures appropriated in weird ways. I don't know why you think I'm talking about paganism.

You've got a point there :shrug:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah that Order of the Arrow stuff was very cringey.

I know it's not probably not the same anymore but going to summer camp was fun to just canoe, ride horses, swim in a river or practice shooting either skeet or target practice with some 22s. A week long of hang out with friends and only having to eat that lovely food in the mess hall wasn't terrible, we would at least cook one meal ourselves a day in our campsite that didn't suck.

At least with my two kids I hope to send them off to a summer camp up north because I'm a huge fan of Salute your Shorts.. hopefully those places are real and will exist in a few years

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was never a fan of the uniforms, the fake Indian poo poo, or the meetings. Lots and lots of meetings.

Going outside shouldn't be this hard. I had a lot more fun with Outward Bound.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Extra Large Marge posted:

I was never a fan of the uniforms, the fake Indian poo poo, or the meetings. Lots and lots of meetings.

Going outside shouldn't be this hard. I had a lot more fun with Outward Bound.

Like many organizations targeted towards youth, they get their conformist cultural and religious conditioning in sideways by tantalizing kids with enjoyable activites such as the camping, pinewood derby, canoeing, etc. in order to motivate kids to sit through their heinously boring programming, meetings and workbooks, kids being kids that stuff sinks in over time. I feel like the difference between the Cubs and older Scouts is that all the kids that found the religious garbage and tedious group meetings unbearable get weeded out until you're left with a few that only stayed because of parental pressure or because they wholesale bought into the brainwashing.

It's a travesty that it's so hard to find youth programs that offer Scout style activities and education without being tainted by some belief-based horseshit.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Aw man, this made me remember a small story:

I almost made it to eagle scout, my dad has always loved the outdoors and would gleefully volunteer every time to go on our excursions with us.

One time we had a huge hike up a mountain to our campground and I was whining to my dad about how goddamn heavy my pack was, which he just brushed off and kept us going.

When we finally got to the campsite and began unpacking, he realized that he had packed the entire bag of potatoes for the whole troop in my backpack.

Years and years later, I hopped in the car and drove 8 hours away for my freshman year of college. I got in my dorm, flung my stuff on the bed, and started unpacking.

In one of my duffel bags rested one lone potato. I couldn't stop laughing. My dad owns.

He also put a potato in a day pack I had made for a music festival like 5 years after that. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Also I was never boned in boy scouts but I don't mind that they're bankrupt with their anti-gay garbage.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
When I was in Boy Scouts, I went on a camping trip one time in the forest, and our troop leader convinced me and another boy to go skinny dipping in a remarkably cold river's shallows. He watched.

He was also the high school boy's wrestling coach and got sent to prison for being found loving a sixteen-year-old student by his wife.

Sometimes I think, late at night, about the bullet I dodged.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Geomancing posted:

When I was in Boy Scouts, I went on a camping trip one time in the forest, and our troop leader convinced me and another boy to go skinny dipping in a remarkably cold river's shallows. He watched.

He was also the high school boy's wrestling coach and got sent to prison for being found loving a sixteen-year-old student by his wife.

Sometimes I think, late at night, about the bullet I dodged.

Jesus Christ. That’s still pretty traumatic. I’m sorry you went through that.

To contribute: I did from cub scouts until probably 7th grade which was tenderfoot I think. I went on a few trips. I had fun when I was in 4-5th grade. Most of the kids were okay, but I only really remember that when I actually went to Boy Scout meetings I hated all the kids that were in it from school, so I quit. I still stand by that decision.

Modulo16 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 20, 2020

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I remember going to some camp in cub scouts and having to do some swim training thing in a really cold pool and I sucked at it. I guess it was supposed to be "character building". I'm not really outdoorsy but I liked camping with my dad and stuff. I probably could have sorta toughed it out without the whole weird peer pressure with that weird boot camp atmosphere. I feel like I learned more getting a Swiss army knife from my dad and sometimes going out camping and backpacking. I really should go hiking and stuff more...

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

in cubs we made model rockets and one of them hit a eagle that was flying overhead and i dont know if it died but the adults said "it got better"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

it was a bald eagle and all of us kids thought we were going to jail

but we live in canada so nobody cared

the end

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
We used to always make fun of our Mormon friend back in middle school because he was "scouting for boys" but now it's less funny because he probably got molestered ):

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

GolfHole posted:

it was a bald eagle and all of us kids thought we were going to jail

but we live in canada so nobody cared

the end

I would have shot the son of a bitch

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

GolfHole posted:

in cubs we made model rockets and one of them hit a eagle that was flying overhead and i dont know if it died but the adults said "it got better"
We got in trouble for sticking our model rocket engines in a sand dune and setting them off so the back kick meant to eject a parachute sent them flying as a sweet-rear end fireball. Also got kicked off the U.S.S. Yorktown aircraft carrier "camp" for taking down our bunk mattresses and holding a fight club, plus we snuck on a submarine late at night.

One of our dads was a mid-level FBI agent and I remember all the other dads faces the day he got a cell phone call and took off out of the meeting without even saying anything.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Colonel Cancer posted:

Picture being taken out on a camping trip in the woods and getting woken up in the dead of night to be silently lead down to a bonfire, around which are half a dozen obese suburban dads, loincloth-clad and dancing

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
i was never in scouts because neither of my parents trusted church and i had early-onset goonitis

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Gulping Again posted:

i was never in scouts because neither of my parents trusted church and i had early-onset goonitis

Two of the most disgusting organizations ever, heh, GOONS amirite?

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFzY9u_v8Ew

We ride
Where boys run free
We're goin for a ride
With a skeleton family
I'm alive
Suck the blood from my bones
Sunlight
Plump flesh
Listen up
The lone bear's arrived
The train's a commin'
With the boys

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

My dad was the scoutmaster so I managed to avoid being molested, but he wouldn't let me quit until I'd hit Star, which was his rank when he bailed.

What was cool is because what the scoutmaster says goes, so my sister got to go on all the trips and she's better at camping than most of the boys were.

e: actually something really weird happened in the scouts, this one kid was south african, white, and didn't realize that the n-word is pretty much the worst thing you can say. he just treated it as a noun until dad carefully explained how this was in no way acceptable behavior

Vanadium Dame fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 20, 2020

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Floodixor posted:

I almost made it to eagle scout, my dad has always loved the outdoors and would gleefully volunteer every time to go on our excursions with us.

One time we had a huge hike up a mountain to our campground and I was whining to my dad about how goddamn heavy my pack was, which he just brushed off and kept us going.

When we finally got to the campsite and began unpacking, he realized that he had packed the entire bag of potatoes for the whole troop in my backpack.

Years and years later, I hopped in the car and drove 8 hours away for my freshman year of college. I got in my dorm, flung my stuff on the bed, and started unpacking.

In one of my duffel bags rested one lone potato. I couldn't stop laughing. My dad owns.

He also put a potato in a day pack I had made for a music festival like 5 years after that. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

This is really sweet thank you for sharing this.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I am an actual (assistant this year) scoutmaster, only because my kid inexplicably likes camping and hiking. He's been doing it for years and says he wants to be an Eagle Scout (narrator voice: "he didn't"). I was a scoutmaster in Cub Scouts which is a special form of hell because you end up being an untrained, powerless grade school teacher in a crappy shirt. It's better in Boy Scouts because they have to do all the stuff themselves and several of the more annoying ones are crashing and burning because their moms are making them do it and they don't give a poo poo.
They do make you do an awful lot of "How not to molest the children" training, some of which has interviews with people who were abused as kids, which are a bit wracking, but I don't see how any of it would stop a truly horned up and determined nonce.
Anyway, camping and hiking are cool and fun and the Boy Scouts are a bit uptight and nerdy and weirdly religious.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Let's see... Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent?

EDIT: Yesss

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Daikloktos posted:

Let's see... Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent?

drat your eyes, that makes me twitch. I actually got rid of my final box of scout poo poo this last year. I'm 38. Shockingly, most of my badges are nerd poo poo like rocketry and atomic energy.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Daikloktos posted:

In six years I still haven't quite memorized this.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

yaffle posted:

In six years I still haven't quite memorized this.

I have strange muscle memory counting those virtues with my fingers. poo poo, I was in a cult wasn't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Floodixor posted:

Your dad owns and I love this story