Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

We 2 cats and a litter box where the furry toed bastards seem to track litter all over the house. It's a non-stop battle with me following them around with a broom, sweeping up litter bits and fluff bunnies, but was thinking a robot vacuum that can run 1-2 times a day, even when I am at work, might be trick.

The one floor I need to do is about 750 sq/ft (give or take) but the tricky part is I have things on the floor, like a couple small mats, cat dishes, couple electric cords, which I could see being a pain in the rear end. But the floor is entirely vinyl plank except for a couple fairly large floor mats and one or two small mats in the kitchen (ie: food dishes, cloth under their water fountain).

I a robot vacuum right for us? I have no desire to get anything that I can "hack" - I just want something reliable and wont destroy anything in our house or wrap itself up in a lamp cord or something. I'm not against spending money if it will work, but I do have something against spending $600 for a total piece of junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

How are they with avoiding things on the floor like cords and the such? I had a Roomba years ago and it just had a big bumper on the front which it would smack into things with surprising force, not enough to damage furniture or anything but certainly enough do dump a bowl of catfood/water and move something like a small garbage can.

Do the "see" nowadays or still feeling like a blind person with a cane?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the replies folks, even if I haven't been in this thread much lately.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I've got a NEATO Robotics vacuum and I got it for exactly your use case. It's got a LIDAR on top of it that can sense a 3/4" diameter object. It's also got very soft contact bumpers on the front. I use it around my pets' food and water dishes, and there's no spilled drops. It has some IR light sensors on the front so it doesn't fall off of stairs; these can get confused if you have large black/white pattern on your carpet/rugs/etc. A roughly 2" highly-contrasting strip will make the unit think it's falling down the stairs, and it won't drive that way. This makes it easy to fence with gaffer's tape or Velcro(R)(TM) strips, or the included heavy-rubber fencing strip.

Sucks pretty good, has a decent capacity. Learns rooms well. Has a good scheduler and spot clean system. HEPA filters for no cat litter dust, and it's not crazy expensive. I've had mine for four or five years now and just replaced the battery. It's not one of the "wifi connected" ones or anything. It is hackable and I pulled 600x600 .gifs of my rooms that it laser-scanned, which was a cool novelty; I have to imagine having an app for all of that is more useful.
Hows it with cords?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, we have a central vac with kick plates so it's actually really easy to use in that regard as we just use one of those big microfiber swiveling heads and push everything to the nearest one. It's more for getting under the furniture with some regularity and maybe doing it when we're not home.

Who am I kidding - I'm just lazy :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Smeared turds and/or vomit would certainly temper the appeal