Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
im unemployed and looking for work btw, can I have your job?
of course
sure dude, ill send you a PM soon
i think I can do that! call me and we can discuss moving
yeah, you'd be great at working from home op
definitely, i hate having money anyway
View Results

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
id post this in QCS but I dont talk to Forums Cops :cool:

I like this website. Even though its had its hiccups, its still one of the few places on the internet that hasn't gone to complete poop. there's a lot of great engaging, high impact posting going on in the subforums that makes reddit look like a playground full of kids eating glue. I like this website a bunch, dont want it to die, and want to experience it with more people I know personally. To date, I have pitched the forums to like, 6 different people, bought 2 of them accounts, but none of them have really taken the plunge. Reddit is still the preferred choice and its kinda sad that none of them stuck around. Maybe im doing something wrong? Have any of you guys turned your friends into goons? How did you get it to work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augustus Woop-Woop
Dec 14, 2003
wang
abandon hope all ye who press enter here

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
throw the 2002-2006 content back in the fryer for 20 seconds

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

In my circles, the only people who know or care about this site have known about it for 15+ years. Its like trying to get a young teenager to put down their gameboy to come outside and "just enjoy the fresh air". The gameboy is always gonna win, OP.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

The_Continental posted:

In my circles, the only people who know or care about this site have known about it for 15+ years. Its like trying to get a young teenager to put down their gameboy to come outside and "just enjoy the fresh air". The gameboy is always gonna win, OP.

This. I've bought accounts for 4 different people and they just didn't get our lovely brand of terrible internet humor. We're niche and dated and have a huge barrier to entry because we've got 20 years of dumbfuckery.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
"watch this attack of the show clip with david thorpe"
:words:
"it was a show on the g4 channel"
"that was the channel that replaced techtv i think"
"yeah nevermind about that. but attack of the show was kind of a big deal"
"yeah like the the guy that came up with digg was on that"
"i dont know"

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Erisian Automata posted:

This. I've bought accounts for 4 different people and they just didn't get our lovely brand of terrible internet humor. We're niche and dated and have a huge barrier to entry because we've got 20 years of dumbfuckery.

And even if they do know about the site because of the old flash tub stuff or front page, they don't see the sense in paying $10 to interact with a relatively small collective because they can just go on reddit and interact with millions of users in ultra-niche threads tailored to their exact interests.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Only my missus know about my terrible internet secret after reading "General Bullshit" on my phone screen, laughing and asking what is this... I explained briefly it's a forum with sub-forums about pretty much anything, with a nice and not that weird humor about it.
Beyond that I can't imagine telling someone else about an internet forum and that they should check it out. They probably wouldn't anyway. She gets it but you won't see a Mrs. Fonz on here and god bless her for her online non-presence.
Also I can't go on Reddit and similar online cesspools for the same reason I've deleted my Facebook account, don't go on Twitter and would never in a million years consider having an Instagram account despite making a living with my camera.
I forgot exactly what your question was OP because wine is good but just forget about it and enjoy it for yourself. We are the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Definitely worth 10$ to see the iceberg from this close!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
show them the keyboard goop thread

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Actually that, p-p-p-powerbook and the cum shrooms make for a perfect trilogy of awkward introduction.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Tell them that it's fun as hell to troll the oversensitive psychos who are the only remaining users after a succession of moronic mods banned anyone with a sense of humor

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a half-hearted daisy chain among aging misanthropes

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

JK Fresco posted:

Tell them that it's fun as hell to troll the oversensitive psychos who are the only remaining users after a succession of moronic mods banned anyone with a sense of humor

MODS

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a strongly moderated forum with a decently sized userbase that is only marginally behind the vanguard of global socio-cultural attitudes instead of having several dozen forums about how not masterbating will give you enough power to cast pure-aryan magics.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
scream SOMETHINGAWFUL DOT COM in between your loud disgusting burps/ and or farts

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tell em they post n I'll suck their assholes it's an unbeatable deal

Sapphira
Apr 7, 2006
"It's an internet community that bans nazis. (usually)"

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

JK Fresco posted:

Stop posting

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the something awful forums: were sure we got rid of the pedo mods this time

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the somethingawful forums: meet the guys that got your friend to talk you out of buying bitcoin in 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I describe this place, without a hint of irony or malice, as "a digital nursing home for the autistic."

youre
Dec 30, 2019

anyone who posted even half well in fyad got laid via the forums at least once

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
fyad hosed you and died

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

tell em im tall blond have a big duck and down to quack

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

numberoneposter posted:

tell em im tall blond have a big duck and down to quack

Don't fall for this line line like I did, it's actually a goose!

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
You don't!!!

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

buglord posted:

its still one of the few places on the internet that hasn't gone to complete poop

Citation needed

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Try lying. If that doesn't work try threats and then if that doesn't work use violence. I suppose bribery is an option but I don't like to assume people have money to flush down the toilet.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
If they enjoy internet posting but complain about the culture on Reddit you can say you know a forum with a modicum of self-awareness and a more refined sense of humor, plus a barrier to entry buoying the discussion quality.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

The_Continental posted:

And even if they do know about the site because of the old flash tub stuff or front page, they don't see the sense in paying $10 to interact with a relatively small collective because they can just go on reddit and interact with millions of users in ultra-niche threads tailored to their exact interests.

In a way, we're all fools for not posting on Reddit right now!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Underhand.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's like Westworld where you pay 10bucks to post at fairly realistic chatbots that simulate what an online message board may have been like in the early 2000s (avs and red text cost extra and the bandwidth is throttled for authenticity)

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Bronze Fonz posted:

Only my missus know about my terrible internet secret after reading "General Bullshit" on my phone screen, laughing and asking what is this... I explained briefly it's a forum with sub-forums about pretty much anything, with a nice and not that weird humor about it.
Beyond that I can't imagine telling someone else about an internet forum and that they should check it out. They probably wouldn't anyway. She gets it but you won't see a Mrs. Fonz on here and god bless her for her online non-presence.
Also I can't go on Reddit and similar online cesspools for the same reason I've deleted my Facebook account, don't go on Twitter and would never in a million years consider having an Instagram account despite making a living with my camera.
I forgot exactly what your question was OP because wine is good but just forget about it and enjoy it for yourself. We are the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Definitely worth 10$ to see the iceberg from this close!

Nice to know i am exactly where i belong. Feels good.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I bought at least 2 or 3 people accounts, but I think their emails went to spam or something? They had no idea what I was talking about, and I can't remember what user names I choose for them. Maybe I have some kind of receipt. But I've been trying to get my friends interested for years, and no one cares. I run into cool threads I want to share with people, but they can't be bothered.

Even explaining what a forum is can be a massive uphill battle at times, but where I am now, some of that is a language and age barrier.

I met a guy recently who actually used to post here, but he doesn't seem to want to come back.

So it's just me and the one guy that introduced me to the forums. Alas.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I don't want my friends or family to know I post here

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op why would you inflict SA on people you call "friends"?

"tell me how to pitch getting drowned to my dry land friends"

"how do I convince my non-burning friends to jump into this fire?"

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
We invented Slenderman after stealing it from Red Letter Media.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm already spending a lot of time telling people to leave, why would I tell them to join? Seems counterproductive imho, typically the kind of stuff I'd expect from some idiot poster who never fitted in with the forum's culture and should just go back to reddit instead

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
There's no need for us to sell people on the forums, now that Lowtax is revitalizing the Front Page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Creamed Cormp posted:

I'm already spending a lot of time telling people to leave, why would I tell them to join? Seems counterproductive imho, typically the kind of stuff I'd expect from some idiot poster who never fitted in with the forum's culture and should just go back to reddit instead

Just stop posting creamed cormp, it will increase the user base ten fold