Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
im unemployed and looking for work btw, can I have your job?
of course
sure dude, ill send you a PM soon
i think I can do that! call me and we can discuss moving
yeah, you'd be great at working from home op
definitely, i hate having money anyway
View Results

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
print out goatse and wave it in their face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

You should be doing this regardless.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You have friends? Lol

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Mozi posted:

I once had the dubious pleasure of overhearing a copy-writer try to explain goatse to a product manager, in terms that were work-safe. That did not go well, for anyone involved.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
The only person I've ever successfully conned into boarding this sinking ship is MY GIRLFRIEND, and I did it by reading her forums stories when she asked. She fell in love with the World's Dumbest Stalker thread and the Crappy Construction Thread (she rage-hates cheap plumbing fixtures, used to work for a distributor) and eventually she asked me to buy her an account.

I said no, because this place is terrible.

But she insistently continued to read threads over my shoulder, so one day I caved and bought her an account so she wouldn't have a bad, dumb username and could have a cool, good one instead. She immediately made dozens of effortposts about all the dogs Kohler blows (it's all of them) in the Crappy Construction Thread, then started reading the Interior Design and Florida threads. She now references SA in real life and is at least as weird about it as I am.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you want to introduce people to the forums, Stockholm syndrome seems effective.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've tried but y'all were too mean to them in video games

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Only the wealthiest of internet patrons can afford the entrance fee OP tell your friends to become billionaires

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Okay, so heres my advice. Find out what corner of the internet they inhabit then point them towards a thread here where we're making fun of that corner of the internet. For me i was able to get at least on redditor to join and at least read the posts by showing them the /r/relationships thread and the reddit thread (The one where it says something about gender and pedos in the title).

I think this works on multiple levels.

1) they 'Get' the humor presented because they're familiar with the thing being made fun of, and they can dip their toes into our brand of goofiness. Even if they dont understand all the SA humor they can still enjoy the thread, and slowly they will come to understand more and more the in-jokes being presented.

2) They get a mirror held up to something they thought was cool and good but now are seeing it from a new perspective. This will poison their experience when trying to go back to enjoy, say, the relationships subreddit and theyll come running back to get another hit of these sweet sweet hot takes.

3) If they keep coming back for that good thread, eventually theyll run out of content and start poking around other threads. next thing you know theyre texting you updates about forums drama you dont care about and you regret ever sharing this site with anyone you know personally.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

gary oldmans diary posted:

"watch this attack of the show clip with david thorpe"
:words:
"it was a show on the g4 channel"
"that was the channel that replaced techtv i think"
"yeah nevermind about that. but attack of the show was kind of a big deal"
"yeah like the the guy that came up with digg was on that"
"i dont know"

Attack of the show was a shallow and lovely replacement to the screensavers. TechTV 4L1f3.

Also, can't help you OP. When I was younger I would talk about "the forums" and honestly looking back it's loving embarrassing. Now I just "so I saw on this website..." and don't mention where from. You all embarrass me. Especially you OP.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tell them it's like gamefaqs but it costs money

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

come hang out with permanently sad 30-50 year olds who have hundreds of brainproblems

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FuturePastNow posted:

I've tried but y'all were too mean to them in video games

What? Was this some time ago? Video games is mostly a big hugbox these days in my experience. It's one of the least mean places on the forums unless you specifically go in to trash talk someone's favorite bad game.

Anyway here's my suggestion OP: ask your friends if they like Star Wars. If they say yes, show them our "Star Wars 9/11" photoshops. If that doesn't sell them, nothing will!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
My girlfriend calls something awful 'that dumb little internet club' and she's not remotely wrong. I feel no need to proselytize to anyone on this topic.

I loved this take on something awful from David James in his review of a play by the he same name:

quote:

The title of the play is derived from a dinosauric comedy website and internet forum. Once upon a time the site was on the cutting edge of online comedy. Now it's slowly dying, having transitioned into a safe space for depressed middle-aged men to swap Simpsons memes, pose as Third World Maoists and hold purposefully contrary views on Star Wars. 

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Play posted:

I loved this take on something awful from David James in his review of a play by the he same name:

This review is what broke Lowtax' spine.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Nihilism and queer pride are “in” right now so just tell them the forums are dead and gay and they’ll be all over this poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Alien Sex Manual posted:

Nihilism and queer pride are “in” right now so just tell them the forums are dead and gay and they’ll be all over this poo poo.

Let's harvest some powerful Rick & Morty energy to advertise the forums!

Something Awful: Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come post?

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
They get to talk to me, op

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
let them figure it out on their own

horse to water etc

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Burt Sexual posted:

Just stop posting creamed cormp, it will increase the user base ten fold

I don't think you could handle 70 users browsing GBS

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Play posted:

My girlfriend calls something awful 'that dumb little internet club' and she's not remotely wrong. I feel no need to proselytize to anyone on this topic.

Same here. My wife thinks this place is dumb except when I occasionally share pet pictures or funny r/relationship stories. I once mentioned this site to a friend by name and another person there got super mad because he was a former furry, lol.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a half-hearted daisy chain among aging misanthropes

drat, I always thought it was a half-hearted circle jerk for aging misanthropes. I'd better get sucking.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just tell them about all the great 9/11 and internet inside jokes they could be enjoying, like

Lmao Tzu
Sep 11, 2014

If they’re burgeoning creatives, let them know they can write for the front page and eventually be paid for it after a month.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Just show them this OP

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Lmao Tzu posted:

If they’re burgeoning creatives, let them know they can write for the front page and eventually be paid for it after a month.

2 months.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

P-Mack posted:

Just show them this OP

i hate that graphic so much.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

JK Fresco posted:

Tell them that it's fun as hell to troll the oversensitive psychos who are the only remaining users after a succession of moronic mods banned anyone with a sense of humor

free drad_bert

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
My fiancé once started telling my friends I’m on this place only she didn’t know the name so now I’m afraid everyone thinks I’m on Reddit or something. Anyway OP don’t try to recruit others. Proselytizing is what makes Christianity an awful religion.

Lmao Tzu
Sep 11, 2014

P-Mack posted:

Just show them this OP

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Tell them if they post itt I will award them 5000 karma and a GOLD star!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Play posted:

accurate

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Chomp8645 posted:

Anyway here's my suggestion OP: ask your friends if they like Star Wars. If they say yes, show them our "Star Wars 9/11" photoshops. If that doesn't sell them, nothing will!

Holy. Jesus. Mother. Of. gently caress.

I never saw that thread before. I'm only at page 5 and already this is the funniest poo poo I've seen here yet, this beats everything.

It also confirms that yeah, it's not a good idea to go "Hey you should check out this forum on the internet, it's really funny and informative and there's these hilarious photoshops of the 9/11 jumper getting thrown out of the burning North tower by Darth Vader haha I even saw the famous goatse guy shooting lasers out of his rectum at the South tower to bring it down".

Just... keep this to yourself?

Also we need more photoshop threads.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
if i ever have to explain SA to people, which i rarely do and always feel deep shame if it occurs, i just say it's like reddit but with a $10 paywall so it keeps a lot of the trash out, and the trash that's here at least has to try and pay to rereg.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I stopped trying to pitch it like ten years ago, no one cares

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
I'll forever be a closeted goon, I don't know how you people can feel anything other than deep shame.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

mind the walrus posted:

I describe this place, without a hint of irony or malice, as "a digital nursing home for the autistic."

This is correct.

Play posted:

Y'all got a link to this? I feel like I missed something significant.

Also when I regged on these god forsaken forums fifteen years ago (lurked for longer) the whole thing of the internet was anonymity - I didn't want 'real life' people to know my username or where I posted. Now that I've been a digital autist for fifteen years I certainly don't feel any differently.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

RepeatingMeme posted:

Okay, so heres my advice. Find out what corner of the internet they inhabit then point them towards a thread here where we're making fun of that corner of the internet.

One of them beelined to CD and then left because of a poor first impression. But CD has always been kinda...you know

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Chewbecca posted:

Y'all got a link to this? I feel like I missed something significant.

what I quoted was definitely the most relevant part, but it is kind of wacky that there was even a play called something awful

managed to find it by searching "something awful" must include the word "dinosauric" lol

http://www.londoncitynights.com/2020/01/review-something-awful-at-vault.html

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
For what it’s worth my 3 previous exes know what SA and keyboard goop and goatse is because what better way is there to supplement post coitus pillowtalk than with browsing China.jpg and Russia.jpg threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i call this place my "online sports talk forum" because its the most understandable format and people just shrug and move on

im not gonna bore anyone with explaining GBS or whatever