Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

rotor posted:

they did, its called c#

it's called c# because u see it and do a sharp 360 then walk towards it

it's called java because it's a brown liquid that blows out ur rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

its called python because it bites you in the rear end

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

4lokos basilisk posted:

asp

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it's called c# because u see it and do a sharp 360 then walk towards it

it's called java because it's a brown liquid that blows out ur rear end

4lokos basilisk posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

yeah we were a Texas Instruments family

lmfao

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Plan 9 is just a C-flavored knockoff of the ETH Oberon System

change my mind

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it’s called typescript cos it’s the type of script i like to use

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
slashdot.org

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I used to read that garbage everyday

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Silver Alicorn posted:

I used to read that garbage everyday

Unfortunately, same.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i have a coworker that will still link to slashdot from time to time

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
slashdot is a better web destination than fark is
lets at least be clear

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
alterslash.org makes slashdot a bit better

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

alterslash.org makes slashdot a bit better

does it also remove all the fash and pedo apologia tagged as +5 insightful in the comments?

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
no but you can scroll past it quicker

Mantle
May 15, 2004

AnalogX

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
Stadia

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:rip:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

sony xplooood

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

were these the cool looking speakers?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

majorgeeks

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

cheque_some posted:

were these the cool looking speakers?
they made speakers and car head units with this brand which was just absolutely ridiculous

i mean

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is the kind of music you’d listen to if you had xplod
https://youtu.be/-eQ6uN5pM_c

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Sorry but this is the funny tech poo poo thread, not the awesome nostalgia thread

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

they made speakers and car head units with this brand which was just absolutely ridiculous

i mean

to be fair i had an xplod amp in my 240sx that was quite good and not too gaudy

felt all fancy to unscrew the guard panel and fiddle with the crossover or the midrange etc

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
wait amps have their own eqs? maybe that's why my truck sounds bad no matter where i put the knobs. i gotta crack that trying under my seat open

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i mean

This is what happened when all the late 90's edgelords went off and got marketing and product design degrees

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

oh my god i still have some of these

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Beeftweeter posted:

oh my god i still have some of these

:same: i have the pancake container one kicking around my room somewhere

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Kitfox88 posted:

:same: i have the pancake container one kicking around my room somewhere

yeah i have the fries, shake, cheeseburger and i think an egg mcmuffin

...somewhere. lol maybe i'll go digging this weekend

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Corla Plankun posted:

wait amps have their own eqs? maybe that's why my truck sounds bad no matter where i put the knobs. i gotta crack that trying under my seat open

some of em do, yeah. if it's an amp you're using for subs, good chance it's got a crossover frequency control, and better chance that it's set way too high, so your sub is making GBS threads all sorts of low mid cardboard that's fighting with the stock speakers.

i have 10" powered subs for both stereos in the house; the one on the little 5" bookshelf monitor setup is set at about 80hz and the one for the big stereo with 8" 3-ways is around 65. you dont need much, and since the power to volume ratio increases as you go down, its important to not waste watts on that 120-200hz high bass/low mid trash.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

to be fair i had an xplod

in the music studios at my old university, we used someone's home-made XPLOD speaker as a doorstop

it was a box of nailed-together plywood, with that gaudy red XPLOD speaker. we found it on the side of the road and gave it a second life

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the xplod problem was the same problem all late 90s - mid 00s sony poo poo had (and maybe later, i abandoned them as a Brand around 06 or so). they slapped one brand/line on products of widely varying quality. that amp i posted above was not cheap at all and worked very well, but the low end amps and speakers that were also Xplod were loving garbage.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
they were trying to use the high end thing that was good to make the low end thing seem better but it actually went the other way around and just made the high end thing look like trash

its basically what hp does every cycle; make a high end very nice looking laptop with nice materials and workmanship on par with the best thing anyone else makes, then apply the style to their $450 laptops but with brushed plastic instead of metal and such and yeah

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like, this may have happened but not that i'm aware of; just imagine if in '93 they would have pitched "What if we put the ES branding on some entry level gear?" or some dude at pioneer going all "we should make a downmarket Elite line". they would have been hucked out the window like that one comic

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wild EEPROM posted:

its basically what hp does every cycle; make a high end very nice looking laptop with nice materials and workmanship on par with the best thing anyone else makes, then apply the style to their $450 laptops but with brushed plastic instead of metal and such and yeah
they pioneered that with their printers - establish a reputation in the 1980s and early 1990s as making reliable and nigh-indestructible laserjets for offices, then trade on that reputation to sell junk-grade inkjets to consumers

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i can't remember anyone wanting sony poo poo even from 99 on. it was all about rockford fosgate for everything but the head unit

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
classy people had Infinity amps and speakers in their car.

I had this ridiculous sony headunit.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-OImMuYQ4Uff/p_158CDXC90/Sony-Mobile-ES-CDX-C90.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i had a pioneer elite amp and infinity speakers set up for my parents home theater

fuckers gave it to my brother and now its sitting in his living room in a sad rear end weird arrangement :smith: