Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jonny 290 posted:

tbh having no treble was probably a blessing in disguise in the days of 64kbps joint stereo mp3s lol

yeah seriously i don't know how we put up with that poo poo lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

my first was an avocado green 79 cutlass hell yes beater v8 sled crew

in high school my best friend had an avocado green 1970 cutlass, that thing was practically an RV with a rocket 350 engine and a surprisingly smooth ride

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

tbh having no treble was probably a blessing in disguise in the days of 64kbps joint stereo mp3s lol

sounds fine to me

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Jonny 290 posted:

no, the real pros used a cassette adapter, because fm stereo rolls off at 15khz and the modulators rarely did proper preemphasis

absolutely. a couple months ago i bought a walmart fm / bluetooth transmitter for a rental that didn't have an aux cable or bt audio (wtf, 2019 ford f150) and the quality sucks. Had a bit of interference and fuzzy noises even on an empty fm channel

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Sniep posted:

sounds fine to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1mlponX_jw

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Beeftweeter posted:

also i had a 32mb diamond rio lol

same

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

mine was transparent blue becuase it came from Audible.com free with subscription

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

hell yeah same color :hf:

no idea where it ended up but i remember transferring poo poo to it over the parallel port was loving torturous

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nitr0 posted:

absolutely. a couple months ago i bought a walmart fm / bluetooth transmitter for a rental that didn't have an aux cable or bt audio (wtf, 2019 ford f150) and the quality sucks. Had a bit of interference and fuzzy noises even on an empty fm channel

were i to do it today, i'd pick up one of those insanely illegal but who gives a poo poo, no laws in 2022 1-5 watt transmitters from china. then put it on the local chud FM talk frequency, if you have one, creating a 1/4 mile fascist exclusion zone around your vehicle

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

I had this in the dash of my '66 Bel-Air back in the day. I'd love to see an actual modern take on a single-DIN deck, but now all you can get is some thing that hangs an ancient PDA a couple inches out of your dash, or the same 10 SKUs of segmented LCD trash that they've been making for 30 years with bluetooth slapped on half of them.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was pondering pulling the stock ford stereo (6cd indash changer lomarf) for a double din head unit so i can get carplay but theyre all just so gross and ugly, except the $1,000 ones, which are gross, ugly, and expensive

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

nudgenudgetilt posted:

if you had a tape deck, you could always use one of these beasts

i had one for my rca lyra and the beastly 32mb music library i could fit on it. that was like almost an album's worth of music on one card!

usin' this with my discman in the car rides with mum and my younger sister so we could all listen to greenday :woop:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

quote ain't edit

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
https://www.porsche.com/international/accessoriesandservice/classic/genuineparts/producthighlights/pccm/

more subdued to blend into porsches and i guess to also grift classic porsche owners.

the postage stamp CarPlay, lmao.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Jonny 290 posted:

i was pondering pulling the stock ford stereo (6cd indash changer lomarf) for a double din head unit so i can get carplay but theyre all just so gross and ugly, except the $1,000 ones, which are gross, ugly, and expensive

I kept my kenwood cd head unit from 1996 until 2011 (when I bought a new car) exactly because it had zero dancing lights and stupid poo poo on it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

its gotta be an international treaty or some poo poo that all aftermarket head units have to have an absolutely dogshit interface and design

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

crazysim posted:

https://www.porsche.com/international/accessoriesandservice/classic/genuineparts/producthighlights/pccm/

more subdued to blend into porsches and i guess to also grift classic porsche owners.

the postage stamp CarPlay, lmao.

lol, this is nicer than usual simply because it's so goddamn blandly generic

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

hey, those rca lyras had mp3pro, a supposed double perceptive quality version with a bunch of tedious licensing and clunky encoding

there's a great x-fi style set of charts showing it magically fill in the details of the song compared to old humdrum mp3s:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i tried it once and the song sounded… tinny? at that point the lyra i had was 40gb so saving a few kb a song wasn't a concern

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

SBR can absolutely increase the perceived quality of a low bitrate file, thats what HE-AAC and opus do. at 64 kbps with either one you've basically got cd quality (or better with opus)

i don't remember using mp3pro much but i think that was because it didn't sound very good. maybe the implementation just sucks

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the fact that you can spend 80 dollars to buy a double din carplay stereo nowadays is wild

is it good? probably not, but still

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

SBR can absolutely increase the perceived quality of a low bitrate file, thats what HE-AAC and opus do. at 64 kbps with either one you've basically got cd quality (or better with opus)

i don't remember using mp3pro much but i think that was because it didn't sound very good. maybe the implementation just sucks

not that it's my area, but i sorta figured, since it's similar to other successful implementations. maybe the backward compatibility was a complicating factor in quality?

not that it mattered much. without SBR support, files predictably sounded terrible. it was a neat idea to cover older devices, admittedly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

not that it's my area, but i sorta figured, since it's similar to other successful implementations. maybe the backward compatibility was a complicating factor in quality?

not that it mattered much. without SBR support, files predictably sounded terrible. it was a neat idea to cover older devices, admittedly

yeah, with backwards compatibility mp3pro or he-aac (or whatever, there's a couple proprietary implementations too) sound objectively awful lol

if the player specifically had support though i doubt that was the problem. i'm guessing it was just an early, crappy codec

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

nudgenudgetilt posted:

it was hella fun on iced over parking lots though

word

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i still have the monte carlo sitting in a barn at my folks place. it gets fired up occasionally when my dad takes my nephew for rides in it. my dream is to someday do an electric conversion.

that is amazing... both of mine are long gone. The '79 started having automatic transmission issues after I helped rope tow my friends van to the shop.
We were fuckin idiots lol. it gave up and I put it in the junk yard that I used to get most of my parts from.
ashes to ashes... dust to dust

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah ive never run amps for the full range speakers but i always always put a sealed 10" with like a 250-400w amp. just enough to fill it out

except the expedition, which has a factory 10" sub. sounds good too

The only car I had that truly had a good stereo in my opinion was my 1990 Toyota Celica
with the factory AM/FM/CD/Cassette player and two 10" powered subs in the trunk.
One a self-powered JBL tube
and the other was an actual powered 10" Bazooka tube

Funny enough, our 2009 CR-V had the head unit malfunction, so I needed to look for a replacement. Had to be super cheap because I don't know how long we're going to keep that car but had to replace it because my wife loves listening to the radio.
We bought this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08464VRML
and I ended up getting a wiring harness and installing it myself. Super simple job, but holy crap was I surprised at the fact that the thing is only like 1" deep. Like the hollow guard sleeve that the radios would slide into was longer than the actual radio.
It sounds decent too... and with no moving parts the thing is probably going to outlast me.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the miracle of class D amplifier ICs, yeah. they're tiny as gently caress and like 90% efficient so you don't need heatsink like you did back then

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

wow, I hadn’t thought of that but you’re right it probably is a class D. I can’t tell.

are they just so much better that they’ll replace all A and B and AB in the audio space? at least for most people who aren’t boomer audiophiles with “golden ears” hanging onto their tubes for greater “warmth”

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

also i had a 32mb diamond rio lol

did the stupid little tabs on the battery door break on yours too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

did the stupid little tabs on the battery door break on yours too

yup. thing broke off after maybe a couple of months and eventually got corroded as poo poo once too, but i guess that one's on me

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i want to upgrade the head unit in the 1997 toyota diesel minivan but the radio would be worth more than the van

e: might just settle for something that at last has bluetooth but lol at navigating the treacherous waters of bt compatibility problems

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

namlosh posted:

are they just so much better that they’ll replace all A and B and AB in the audio space?

Pretty much, yep. Think of it as the difference between switching power supplies and old linear ones. except the feedback isn't to keep the output at a certain voltage, it's a feed of the low level audio

they basically chop up the audio at a frequency way higher than human hearing (30-100x the highest frequency you want to reproduce, though I have a suspicion the amp chips in the iphone run at 48khz sampling * 20 = 960 kHz), turn the instantaneous level of each bit into a PWM signal, run it through a couple of amplifier transistors, then lowpass filter it.

theyre so efficient because the transistors are only operating in cutoff or saturation at any given moment, which is where those devices are most power-efficient. it's the in-between stuff that means the transistor has to sink heat.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

our stereos were so dogshit we probably didn’t notice

i was an idiot teenager/early 20s person who thought upgrading your car stereo (or car I guess) was for white trash basic bitches or whatever

i would love to slap younger me

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

were i to do it today, i'd pick up one of those insanely illegal but who gives a poo poo, no laws in 2022 1-5 watt transmitters from china. then put it on the local chud FM talk frequency, if you have one, creating a 1/4 mile fascist exclusion zone around your vehicle

ram ranch 24/7

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

Pretty much, yep. Think of it as the difference between switching power supplies and old linear ones. except the feedback isn't to keep the output at a certain voltage, it's a feed of the low level audio

they basically chop up the audio at a frequency way higher than human hearing (30-100x the highest frequency you want to reproduce, though I have a suspicion the amp chips in the iphone run at 48khz sampling * 20 = 960 kHz), turn the instantaneous level of each bit into a PWM signal, run it through a couple of amplifier transistors, then lowpass filter it.

theyre so efficient because the transistors are only operating in cutoff or saturation at any given moment, which is where those devices are most power-efficient. it's the in-between stuff that means the transistor has to sink heat.

thx for this… I knew generally how they did their thing, I’m just surprised the noise and distortion has been figured out. I get that the frequencies involved are way outside of human hearing, but thought maybe harmonics might mess up the audio.

I’m an electronics tinkerer and hate the noise switching power supplies make on my scope. again, I know they’re much more efficient and the noise should be / could be filtered out but drat, lol

plus I love big heavy expensive transformers :)

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Lowclock posted:

I had this in the dash of my '66 Bel-Air back in the day. I'd love to see an actual modern take on a single-DIN deck, but now all you can get is some thing that hangs an ancient PDA a couple inches out of your dash, or the same 10 SKUs of segmented LCD trash that they've been making for 30 years with bluetooth slapped on half of them.

the main thing i remember about these aftermarket stereos is that you could pop the face off and take it with you so it wouldn't get stolen. also i knew a lot of people who had gotten their stereos stolen lol.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

namlosh posted:

plus I love big heavy expensive transformers :)

you'd love my shack PSU

astron rs-50m

no fans. rated for 13.8v 37a 24/7, or 50 amps at 50% duty cycle.

oh and you'll notice the heatsink cutouts there...

the pass transistors are mounted on the outside. And if you know anything about 2N3055 transistors, you know those cases are hot with the 13.8V line.

The only bad reviews these power supplies get are when an idiot lets a coax cable or any other wire that is at ground potential brush up against one of those, leading to quite a tizzy when you suddenly have an impromptu arc welder going off in your radio room.

I don't even have this sonofabitch in the rack because i don't have any racks strong enough. It just lives on a milk crate under my desk.

e: i bought it from an estate sale for $35, and it had evidently been off for years because the caps were completely discharged. There's no inrush protection on these, so when i flipped the power switch on, even with nothing hooked up, my lights dimmed for a sec and it sounded like a .22 went off as the transformer did its THONK BRUMMMMM thing.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 2, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

drat that’s fuckin wild

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

e: i bought it from an estate sale for $35, and it had evidently been off for years because the caps were completely discharged. There's no inrush protection on these, so when i flipped the power switch on, even with nothing hooked up, my lights dimmed for a sec and it sounded like a .22 went off as the transformer did its THONK BRUMMMMM thing.

the sickest poo poo

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

MOSFET. how did that ever become a marketing term.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
FET devices are neat because they kind of approximate how a tube works much better than bipolar transistors. High input impedance, etc. they make the volts and amps wiggle more accurately, especially at lower volume levels, than BJTs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

so clearly you need to put that on the stereo faceplate