Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

timex datalink

motherfucker used your crt to sync data to your watch

this thing was so cool and I’m glad retro computing people have done the work to make it still sync even without a crt

https://github.com/famiclone6502/DIY_Datalink_Adapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Beeftweeter posted:

telecines always legit impressed me though. fuckin finding a workprint is almost impossible today

im pretty sure the private movie torrent sites are still “allowed” to operate because they have rules against uploading pre-releases.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

polyester concept posted:

im pretty sure the private movie torrent sites are still “allowed” to operate because they have rules against uploading pre-releases.

idk. its somewhat worse for the studios for a workprint to leak but i'd guess piracy in general is probably pretty intolerable from their perspective

having done some similar poo poo the effort involved always weirdly impressed me though. a telecine is literally essentially a scan of some film and getting it even somewhat right is a huge pain in the rear end, plus those machines are really goddamned expensive

i guess george lucas kinda shot that whole thing in the head with revenge of the sith but drat workprints were coming out like crazy back then

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

polyester concept posted:

private movie torrent sites

that reminds me, is that site still around? i remember it getting shut down after some leaked screenshots on some social media site, then at some point i got a "we're back!" email, but by then i had a sabnzbd/sonarr/radarr setup, so i never really went back

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
maybe. i think so. or not. depends on which site. its 2022 nobodys going to ban you for naming it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
elitetorrents? the doj seized the domain, so no

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

maybe. i think so. or not. depends on which site. its 2022 nobodys going to ban you for naming it

lol yeah

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

elitetorrents? the doj seized the domain, so no

nah, the private offsite that spun off of here when the files forums shut down

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

oh. any time i'd gone on it there were practically no seeds anyway so i'd guess it just slowly died

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
nah it's still around

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

There were at least 4 private privacy off-site spinoffs. The dpph spinoff died. The other 3 are still around, but two of the three are pretty anemic.

There are an enormous number of other private trackers out there now though - most of which are bigger or more active than any of the spinoffs and which sometimes have their own internal release groups too.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

home theater PCs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
xbox media center but eight years later and it didnt actually run on xboxes any more

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

fast forward a bit more and it's available in the xbox store, but we don't call it xbmc

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

xbmc/kodi rules. i'm watching the national dog show on my anbernic thing with it via hdhomerun

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kitfox88 posted:

top tier cyberpunk :pcgaming: poo poo, love it

you could probably program a timex datalink with the :pcgaming: emote

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

xbox media center but eight years later and it didnt actually run on xboxes any more

when they initially moved off of xbox, the windows console, it initially only ran on linux until someone ported it back to windows

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
still using kodi but I moved it from a htpc to a combo of nvidia shield and nas. i try plex/jellyfin etc every now and again but it's not for me, i think i'm the old man yelling at modern streaming interfaces.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i use Kodi to watch my stuff at home on my PC but i also have Plex running on my NAS so that other people can watch my stuff. feels good providing a semi-public service :3

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

The_Franz posted:

when they initially moved off of xbox, the windows console, it initially only ran on linux until someone ported it back to windows

someone was a huge fan of silent movies I guess

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
when groupon turned down a multi billion dollar offer from google

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
groupon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds a lot like grope imo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

channel surfing

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Progressive JPEG posted:

channel surfing

I still occasionally do this on the garage tv in the middle of the day but it's just Ota, not cable/sat.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

generally weird how the local business discovery/cross-promotion/services hype died out, e.g. your foursquares, groupons, google places, facebook invested heavily, etc. all have mostly rotted in the last 5 years. genuinely seemed like it had potential.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

echinopsis posted:

sounds a lot like grope imo

keep calm and grope on

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
echi you've got at least one thread dedicated to your hobbies, take it there

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

generally weird how the local business discovery/cross-promotion/services hype died out, e.g. your foursquares, groupons, google places, facebook invested heavily, etc. all have mostly rotted in the last 5 years. genuinely seemed like it had potential.

iirc it turned out that there was no actual benefit for businesses, you get a bunch of extra customers at a steep discount for the day and almost no return customers.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

they're also gonna be the most entitled and argumentative customers because they think you owe them somehow

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we rolled the groupon "lose money on customers, but make up for it with volume" thing into grubhub and doordash

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Jonny 290 posted:

we rolled the groupon "lose money on customers, but make up for it with volume" thing into grubhub and doordash

they really did, and now corpos get the benefit and customers get an even worse deal than they started with :negative:

i logged into doordash once after hearing an ad for it on a podcast and it was literally an extra 20 dollars (between service fees, delivery fees, and price differences) to have someone shlep an enchilada like 4 blocks for me. I guess those companies survive on overworked rich people not caring about how much things cost and having no time to do anything different.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

boy howdy do they know their target audience lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah. ive mentioned it before but when i was drinkin i had a pretty regular weekly grubhub habit when i'd go on a bender, and it eventually got so expensive (both the booze and the food) that i had to stop. it is unholy and bad to pay $43 after everything for a couple chalupas, four soft tacos and a baja blast to be thrown through my front window, and poo poo was always cold and they never remembered my hot sauce requests

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah. ive mentioned it before but when i was drinkin i had a pretty regular weekly grubhub habit when i'd go on a bender, and it eventually got so expensive (both the booze and the food) that i had to stop. it is unholy and bad to pay $43 after everything for a couple chalupas, four soft tacos and a baja blast to be thrown through my front window, and poo poo was always cold and they never remembered my hot sauce requests

taco bell is expensive as gently caress in person now too

i spent like 20 bucks the other day and walked away with an anemic burrito, a taco, and a soda

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

when i was a property manager at my last apartment complex we had this one couple who would routinely order late-night drunk fast food on doordash, it would get dropped off at the entrance of the building. but they would pass out and forget about it so it would still be sitting there when i took my dog out in the morning lol.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sounds like free late night food to me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

sounds like free late night food to me

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

since we're like the only people that treat the concierges here like humans they call us whenever someone either forgets to put a unit number on an order or forgets about it lol it owns