Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Jonny 290 posted:

yep. most handheld ham rigs have a combo 2.5mm and 3.5mm speaker mic plug/socket setup

it will of course surprise nobody that there is no standard for which one is speaker/headphones, which one is mic, and what the conductors on each do

Also Baofeng does everything through that port, breaking it out into a serial-to-usb adaptor cable because loving fengs, man.

(Yaesu Creu 4 lyfe)

My major tech things that I just remembered are:

Back in the early 2000s when it was like, a big deal that fast food places started accepting cards. I wanna say McD's or Wendy's was like the last of those to fall and accept cards and now like lol the only places that don't are the occasional food truck or random taco stand style place in a train station.

Also, joining the 2600 Discord (which is probably an ancient tech thing in and of itself) and they had a loving idlerpg channel, which gave me a vietnam-style flashback to IRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
that 37 inch westinghouse 1080p monitor

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Neito posted:

Back in the early 2000s when it was like, a big deal that fast food places started accepting cards. I wanna say McD's or Wendy's was like the last of those to fall and accept cards and now like lol the only places that don't are the occasional food truck or random taco stand style place in a train station.

hell, the taco truck that parks next door six nights a week has a Square reader and the fuckin' Olive Garden puck pagers to let you know when your tacos are ready. their setup is slick

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Neito posted:

uranium, cha-cha-cha-ching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcExSzZF_h0

$60 to feed a whole family isn't so out of whack with reality anymore

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 5, 2022

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Wild EEPROM posted:

if you're going to build a tiny dumb computer then go all in and find the smallest possible case possible and live with the consequences of your actions, or go with a slightly bigger one that's a thousand times more useful

https://teenage.engineering/store/computer-1

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

cool

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i love TE but this is some markup, god drat

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

toshiba tegra

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gas Plasma displays

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
jonny just get a lightweight microatx case and then get a set of case straps. or go hardcore and weld a handle onto a microatx case.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

jonny just get a lightweight microatx case and then get a set of case straps. or go hardcore and weld a handle onto a microatx case.

turns out my 8650u laptop can encode 1080p just fine thru quicksync. gonna use that and call it good. but yeah the case harnesses are lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is some old school tech I just remrmbered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PX2mhr0WL0&t=70s

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

i love TE but this is some markup, god drat

it’s a bit of a pain in the rear end to assemble, too, so many tiny screws…

pretty cute when done though

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

someone needs to make a new case that looks and feels like an old IBM tower workstation

not only one that’s reminiscent of the PS/2 Model 80 or its thicker brother the 95 (people wanted horizontal 5.25in bays, I guess)

but one that’s reminiscent of the absolute units in the RS/6000 Model 520 series

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Microsoft powertoys

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Microsoft powertoys

daaaaaamn

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Power toys is back and is my friend.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
A wikidive led me to this device: the Ben NanoNote. A "pocket computer" from 2010 based on OpenWrt(!), with a 336 MHz MIPS processor, 32 or 64 megs of RAM, a 320x240 color displays, and IEEE 802.15.4 WPAN (the same layer 2 as Zigbee) as its only wireless connectivity. As Wikipedia puts it "reviewers praised its small size and low cost (US$99), but also criticized the device for its initial lack of any networking capability and for its extremely modest data storage and RAM capabilities in comparison to other contemporary devices."

burning swine
May 26, 2004

found some old helpdesk photos from 2007
exif says I used a Nokia N70 to take them about one month apart

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mr.Radar posted:

A wikidive led me to this device: the Ben NanoNote. A "pocket computer" from 2010 based on OpenWrt(!), with a 336 MHz MIPS processor, 32 or 64 megs of RAM, a 320x240 color displays, and IEEE 802.15.4 WPAN (the same layer 2 as Zigbee) as its only wireless connectivity. As Wikipedia puts it "reviewers praised its small size and low cost (US$99), but also criticized the device for its initial lack of any networking capability and for its extremely modest data storage and RAM capabilities in comparison to other contemporary devices."

for when your ASUS Eee PC is just too hulking big

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

holy fuckin lmao that xoxide is (a) still around and (b) still sporting its HTML website from 2005

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

holy fuckin lmao that xoxide is (a) still around and (b) still sporting its HTML website from 2005

lol drat check out the cases. fuckin' antec nine hundred. this website's definitely extremely on-topic for this thread

but check out how fast that old html website renders though. instant.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lol drat check out the cases.

H;ell yeah

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol yahoo webstores

:hmmyes:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

you love to see it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Power toys is back and is my friend.

big same. the launcher and keyboard remapper are my favorites

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

this is the second corniest thing to happen on the internet after Kevin smiths tweet about his wife’s butthole

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

this is the second corniest thing to happen on the internet after Kevin smiths tweet about his wife’s butthole

You can't just say that and then not post the :goatsecx:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/thatkevinsmith/status/2554608773?s=46&t=OJP4MKhUn8w6bN2f2GmBHg

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cursed.

Thank you.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

it stands for 'pungent Owns'

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

pOwns is somehow, inexplicably, the most disgusting part of that tweet

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

thanks silent bob

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

:eyepop: what in the gently caress lmao. this is a delightful and fascinating piece of poo poo.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

sadly it's a non-functional zombie site, you can't add anything to your cart. :smith:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mr.Radar posted:

this is the funy tech poo poo thread not the awesome tech poo poo thread

god palmtop computers were SO loving RAD when i was younger

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
UMPC standard was the best standard. Palmtops are great.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

with the Twitter profile pic it looks like he’s talking about that dog

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hey remember when printers actually loving worked?

goddamn piece of poo poo garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Carthag Tuek posted:

hey remember when printers actually loving worked?

hmm. not really lol