Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Printing sheets of ringtone notes for my friend to use in the dedicated ringtone editor on his 3510

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
figuring out a way to encode ringtones and then emailing them as attachments to my phone number

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

downloading janky software to convert midi files to nokia ringtones and uploading them via a homemade serial cable

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beeftweeter posted:

figuring out a way to encode ringtones and then emailing them as attachments to my phone number

yesssss

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
denver the last dinosaur

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
creating an .m4r ringtone with itunes and literally never hearing it after because why the gently caress would my phone ever not be on silent

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
putting the happy tree friends song as my ringtone and being hideously embarassed when it went off.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
using counterstrike sounds for text and ring tones

item_pickup is a fun one for incoming texts

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just remembered this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqjoRMHyYQc

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

FMguru posted:

ringtones being a $billion/year business

ringtones being the assumed new model for the music industry

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

creating an .m4r ringtone with itunes and literally never hearing it after because why the gently caress would my phone ever not be on silent

i still do this, the intro to hypnotize is my current ringtone

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Raluek posted:

using counterstrike sounds for text and ring tones

item_pickup is a fun one for incoming texts

my text sound is the capcom logo noise

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i'd be happy with using 50 different messaging protocols, just let me use one client for them, and let that one client integrate cleanly with poo poo like my system contacts

god i miss you maemo and telepathy

yeah, that was a quality combo. my google voice number started its life as the precursor startup service on my n800 and was really handy. i still sorta wish I'd gone for the n900 just for the full phone experience

Sagebrush posted:

I bet I could blow some of my students minds by telling them it used to cost 25 cents per message but if you sent them after 9pm they were free.

If they'd even believe me

it sounds so ridiculous since its such nothing data in the margins of other traffic

i had a friend with a 3gs that didn't get a text plan to save money, so he'd just tell people to give him a quarter if they wanted to text him. it was surprisingly effective on cutting down on random messages

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Beeftweeter posted:

i ruined one of my favorite albums (the Beck gameboy covers one) by using a couple tracks as ringtones and then dating someone with completely unmitigated bpd

to this day i have a pavlovian "OH GOD WHAT NOW" response to this track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Hcf0IH1zU

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

there was also that thing where when you called someone. you would get 30 seconds of a pop song instead of the ringing.

it was awful, music exces were concerned about this being some sort of avenue for piracy so it had to be the shortest and worst version of a song.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol yeah ringbacks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

yummycheese posted:

there was also that thing where when you called someone. you would get 30 seconds of a pop song instead of the ringing.

it was awful, music exces were concerned about this being some sort of avenue for piracy so it had to be the shortest and worst version of a song.

everyone on the 3.dk network has some folky version of "three is a magic number"

not sure if you can change it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

yummycheese posted:

that still exists.

also because of pots compression they all sound like poo poo.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Hed posted:

remember waiting until 9pm to call people because it was free

same but dial up internet

I got in so much trouble for running up a big bill playing team fortress classic

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

trillian was cool for a while but iirc they started to charge for it and most of the people i knew that used it were leet warez types that couldn't be bothered to crack a new version each time there was an update

trillian also had the problem where the aol messenger support would randomly break whenever aol made some backend changes, leaving it non-functional until they updated it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I had the Sony j5e phone that let you record like 10s of audio to use as a ringtone or message sound and it owned.

good looking phone as well and iirc it had a version of Gorillas.bas played using the jog dial (rip jog dials)

Carthag Tuek posted:

I don't even know what my ringtone is because my phone has never left silent

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I had the Sony j5e phone that let you record like 10s of audio to use as a ringtone or message sound and it owned.

good looking phone as well and iirc it had a version of Gorillas.bas played using the jog dial (rip jog dials)

I don't even know what my ringtone is because my phone has never left silent

ya i just discovered what mine was the other day lol

i don't want your emergency alarms, that switch almost never gets moved from silent

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

mediaphage posted:

ya i just discovered what mine was the other day lol

i don't want your emergency alarms, that switch almost never gets moved from silent

only by accident

anyway also,

Breetai posted:

The 200+ lines of printed code to create a printout of Alfred E Neumann included in their computer special was amazing. The fact that the code didn't work without corrections they included in a subsequent issue and that people wasted hours painstakingly typing it out only for it not to work was inspired.

did a lazy svg conversion from the coordinates:

looks spooky on a dark background :ohdear:
blue on transparent

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

phone on perma silent is a controversial thing apparently. i mentioned to my friends the other day that my phone hasn't made a notification sound in two years. a couple nodded in agreement, and a couple seemed genuinely insulted by the idea.

i don't owe you my attention!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's a different life if you're a tech industry person with oncall shifts. We pay a price for those sweet figgies.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah and not just sounds, very very few things are allowed to send me a notification of any kind. basically messages and even then i have the only real group chat that gets traffic (me, my so, my bil and sil) muted so it's only a badge icon. most things aren't even allowed to show badge icons lol.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

It's a different life if you're a tech industry person with oncall shifts. We pay a price for those sweet figgies.

even if i were in such a job i'd only allow notifications to the minimum extent and disable that when the shift is over. i honestly don't get how people can handle everything constantly popping and buzzing from every app or dumb game. i'd go insane

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
when I’m in a quiet office I like the phone on silent so that it doesn’t startle me, but when I’m outside or in the lab I want the ringer on because I will likely not notice the vibration. so I’m constantly trying to switch back and forth and half the time in the wrong state. maybe I’m just careless and forgetful?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i made less when i was on call than i make now that my team is only to expect replies from 9am-6pm m-f.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mediaphage posted:

even if i were in such a job i'd only allow notifications to the minimum extent and disable that when the shift is over. i honestly don't get how people can handle everything constantly popping and buzzing from every app or dumb game. i'd go insane

thats what focus modes are for

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i made less when i was on call than i make now that my team is only to expect replies from 9am-6pm m-f.

Congrats on your promotion i guess? I'm not sure what this post is trying to accomplish.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

it's supposed to indicate that taking abuse isn't a prereq for figgies

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats an institutional problem, you should quit a company where being paged occasionally is 'abusive', not accept a title change so you can let others take the abuse.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

a few years ago a coworker sent me a non-urgent email at like 4:30 pm on friday. i didn't reply to it immediately and then i left it over the weekend.

monday morning she found me at 10am, in a break in the middle of my class, to get in my face about it.

"hahahaha so i sent you that email on friday and you didn't reply. hahahahahahaha you really don't read your emails do you"
"no, i saw it, i just don't reply to work emails on the weekend, as a work-life balance thing."

this made her incredibly mad and she told me that her husband would be fired if he ignored work emails on the weekend, and that i should recognize just how much privilege i had to be able to do that. (she couldn't use herself as an example because neither of us would be fired for this at the university. lol)

i said that i had made my choice and her husband (a tech worker probably making triple what i do) had made his, and she got even madder! boy

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 25, 2023

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

thats an institutional problem, you should quit a company where being paged occasionally is 'abusive', not accept a title change so you can let others take the abuse.

errr. i didn't accept any title change. my title is literally "sr devops engineer".

i just chose to work for a company that respects boundaries and can hire people to be on the clock when poo poo needs to be done.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have my phone set so that like five specific people can break through the silent mode if they actually call me. that's it. no notification sounds and my work email (yes, i have it on my personal phone, we know that you carry two) doesn't create screen popups either. has to be manually checked. ahhhhhh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That's good!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

years ago before smart phones i set the dog bark from the beginning of sure shot by beastie boys as my ringtone and to this day it still fucks me up and makes me want to check my phone when i hear it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

polyester concept posted:

years ago before smart phones i set the dog bark from the beginning of sure shot by beastie boys as my ringtone and to this day it still fucks me up and makes me want to check my phone when i hear it

lol similarly in retrospect using songs or song snippets for things like alarm clocks was such a bad idea because it just made me hate the first few seconds of a bunch of songs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The_Franz posted:

trillian also had the problem where the aol messenger support would randomly break whenever aol made some backend changes, leaving it non-functional until they updated it

:airquote: randomly :airquote:

IMHO, an extremely good bit of history if you haven't read about this before (skip past the self congratulatory Microsoft history in the middle, it's not important)

Chat Wars posted:

AOL was putting out absurd propaganda about how Microsoft was behaving like an evil hacker by asking for your AOL password. This wasn’t true, but we weren’t allowed to respond except through our PR department. My team was completely sealed off from the outside world—except for our code, of course.

And then AOL stopped blocking us. It was strange to encounter sudden silence, and while I wanted to believe we’d won, AOL had been too loud and obstreperous to give up without a word.

Maybe a week after the blocks had stopped, I came in to work to find that Messenger had been blocked again, but this time it was different. The AOL server was sending a huge chunk of new gobbledygook that I could not understand. It looked approximately like this:

code:

:
00000040 2A 02 77 9C 01 28 00 01 ........*.w..(..
00000050  00 13 00 00 80 0E A6 1B 00 FF 00 0B 01 18 83 C4 ................
00000060  10 4F 8D 94 24 E4 FE FF FF 8B EC 03 AA F8 00 00 .O..$...........
00000070  00 90 90 90 90 8B 82 F0 00 00 00 8B 00 89 82 4E ...............N
00000080  00 00 00 8B 4D 04 03 8A F4 00 00 00 8D 82 42 00 ....M.........B.
00000090  00 00 89 45 10 B8 10 00 00 00 89 45 0C C9 FF E1 ...E.......E....
000000A0  00 01 00 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 ................
000000B0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
000000C0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
000000D0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
000000E0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
000000F0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000100  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000110  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000120  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000130  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00000140  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 19 10 ................
00000150  08 11 29 EC FF FF 44 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF 00 ..)...D.........
00000160  00 00 08 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 90 47 40 00 F8 E9 ...........G@...
00000170  EA FE FF FF 00 00

The first couple of lines here are the standard AOL instant message protocol header, but starting with that “90 90 90 90” bit, it became incomprehensible, bearing no relation to anything the AOL servers had ever sent their client or our client. The vast expanse of double zeros in the middle was also very mysterious, since a bunch of zeros couldn’t contain much meaning.

Our client just ignored it, but the AOL client responded to this gobbledygook with a shorter version of the same gobbledygook. I didn’t know what it was. It was maddening. After staring at it for half a day, I went over to Jonathan, a brilliant server engineer on our team, and asked what he thought. He looked at it for a few minutes and said, “This is code.” As in, actual x86 assembly code. The repeated 90s were what tipped him off: they signify an empty instruction in x86 Assembler.

The pieces then came together. Normally, these protocol messages sent from the server to the client are read and understood as data, not as code. But AOL’s client had a security bug in it, called a buffer overflow. The buffer is a place where a program temporarily stores data while running some operation. However, it’s all too easy in lower-level languages to allow in more input than the buffer can actually accommodate. In this case, very large protocol messages could flood it, overwriting the client code and arbitrarily controlling the functioning of the client program—this is why it’s called a buffer overflow, and it’s a huge security hole, since it gives the server control of the client PC. In the wrong hands, the server can choose to shut down or corrupt or do other terrible things to your computer. AOL knew about this bug in their program and now they were exploiting it! That was what all those double zeros were for—they were just filling up space in the program’s buffer until they hit the end of the AOL client’s buffer and started overwriting executable code with the remainder of the protocol message. AOL was causing the client to look up a particular address in memory and send it back to the server. This was tricky, vastly trickier than anything they’d done so far. It was also a bit outside the realm of fair play: exploiting a security hole in their own client that our client didn’t have!

Owning ourselves to own the libs Microsoft

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol wow that seems really irresponsible