Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha. that reminds me of the satellite tv hacking wars, where cable pirates and the satellite providers were increasingly abusing hosed up exploits and overflows to gain the upper hand for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i made less when i was on call than i make now that my team is only to expect replies from 9am-6pm m-f.

i'm stacking figgies atm on a team that includes an on-call rotation. but on-call is for actual customer-facing outages and someone sending out a page because they want an answer faster is a good way for them to get fired

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Progressive JPEG posted:

someone sending out a page because they want an answer faster is a good way for them to get fired

* offer not valid for VP and above.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Volmarias posted:

* offer not valid for VP and above.

they too would get the all-seeing eye of SRE asking them about that

my great grandmanager is pretty good at yelling at people as well regardless

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

phone on perma silent is a controversial thing apparently. i mentioned to my friends the other day that my phone hasn't made a notification sound in two years. a couple nodded in agreement, and a couple seemed genuinely insulted by the idea.

like you gotta do what you gotta do but people who voluntarily of their own free will choose to have their phone constantly beeping and buzzing because they got a brazz on Chumbo or whatever is crazytown

my phone buzzes or makes noise when i get a call from a known caller, when i have an alarm or timer set, when i have a calendar appt coming up or when i get a text from someone in my family and thats it.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i have some friends who arent that tech savvy who have been genuinely grateful when i've shown them how to turn off like the slack notifications count badge on iphone. even that small thing can reduce a lot of anxiety for some people. my mom i straight up just took her phone and disabled everything i could -- she was getting notifications with sound for apple news. you cant be living like that mom.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i am also in the permanently silenced, no notifications for anything but texts or phone calls, and even then i've muted a bunch of group chats when they get too noisy.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i avoid excessive notifications by simply having no friends

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

post hole digger posted:

i am also in the permanently silenced, no notifications for anything but texts or phone calls, and even then i've muted a bunch of group chats when they get too noisy.

foreverially quietpilled and loving it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you're coming into the office and your phone is making audible noise every time someone messages you then kindly gently caress off, thanks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

like you gotta do what you gotta do but people who voluntarily of their own free will choose to have their phone constantly beeping and buzzing because they got a brazz on Chumbo or whatever is crazytown

my phone buzzes or makes noise when i get a call from a known caller, when i have an alarm or timer set, when i have a calendar appt coming up or when i get a text from someone in my family and thats it.

Oh if you even have twitter or tiktok or facebook installed on your "smart phone" i consider you a psycho that wants the last 3 brain cells to die asap for some reason

NO social media apps on the phone. N O N E. If it's important enough to post or read on, it's worth opening a laptop or unsleeping the desktop box. I am hardline on this.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
LIke i have a general idea of the brain rot spawned by tiktok scrolls cause i like, see people do it on the bus or train, and their brain is just not working. its just little nuggets of dopamine that you can't even remember 15 seconds later.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jabor posted:

if you're coming into the office and your phone is making audible noise every time someone messages you then kindly gently caress off, thanks

people who dont put their phone on silent will be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes, right next to the billionaires and nazis.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Oh if you even have twitter or tiktok or facebook installed on your "smart phone" i consider you a psycho that wants the last 3 brain cells to die asap for some reason

NO social media apps on the phone. N O N E. If it's important enough to post or read on, it's worth opening a laptop or unsleeping the desktop box. I am hardline on this.

just use the webapp

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jonny 290 posted:

i have twitter app installed but i do not use there. it's there so i can receive alerts when the two artists i have notifs on open for commission because they're always besieged

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

just lol if you don't spend at least 25% of your work day checking notifications and posting

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

our pager type service sends auto alerts on things like job failures and I studiously ignore *all* of them in an attempt to get the idiot L1 team to actually do their job which 99% of the time is "rerun the job". in some cases this has taken them upwards of 4 hours!

the other week they asked if "there was a list of support cases that could be provided" because I'm leaving and I just said "well that would be the ones in your notes from issues you've dealt with, right?" dead silence lmao

I'm probably going to get paged again after I leave

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

just lol if you don't spend at least 25% of your work day checking notifications and posting

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

brazz on chumbo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
e: wrong thread

FMguru fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 26, 2023

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hed posted:

remember waiting until 9pm to call people because it was free

never used it but Paul Rizer got that poo poo drilled in 20 years ago

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

the Sony walkman alien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um-TlzBAewA

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

winamp pro

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hah i paid for that back in the day

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

polyester concept posted:

i avoid excessive notifications by simply having no friends

Same

Jonny 290 posted:

Extremely same.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im postin via the sa app right now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Achmed Jones posted:

you utter degenerate

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Achmed Jones posted:

Wait, no i-

gently caress.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Achmed Jones posted:

amen shitposting while I post poo poo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Achmed Jones posted:

:mods:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I’m also posting via the app :smugmrgw:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

:hai:

I can be anywhere in the world and posting. You don't know where or when I might post, but I will, and when I do, you will feel a great sadness descend upon you, and you will know that I have Posted

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

with the app, everything can be amberpos

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

I’m also posting via the app :smugmrgw:

no… no!!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
when microsoft came out with the zune store, they didn't want people to figure out what they wanted to charge for a song, so they obfuscated it by adding a new system where you buy points to use. You got 80 points for a dollar, with the smallest bundle at $5 for 400.

Songs usually cost 79 points, so you would still be paying your $0.99, but you would always have leftover points, and you couldn’t just buy 1 song worth of credits

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Wild EEPROM posted:

when microsoft came out with the zune store, they didn't want people to figure out what they wanted to charge for a song, so they obfuscated it by adding a new system where you buy points to use. You got 80 points for a dollar, with the smallest bundle at $5 for 400.

Songs usually cost 79 points, so you would still be paying your $0.99, but you would always have leftover points, and you couldn’t just buy 1 song worth of credits

Moviepass just did this with their relaunch. You get points and different movies cost different levels, but i guarantee you it's maximized for "well i guess i'll buy another $10's worth"

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

that is still very much a thing with any game that uses a point/token system and they rig it so that the bundles are always $2-3 more than the standard gift card increments - literally every game my kids play on playstation does this and it's so annoying.

$25 gift card

200 tokens for $13.99.
500 tokens for $27.99

daaaaaaaaad can we please spend just a few dollars moreeeee pleeeaaaaasseeeee

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

polyester concept posted:

that is still very much a thing with any game that uses a point/token system and they rig it so that the bundles are always $2-3 more than the standard gift card increments - literally every game my kids play on playstation does this and it's so annoying.

$25 gift card

200 tokens for $13.99.
500 tokens for $27.99

daaaaaaaaad can we please spend just a few dollars moreeeee pleeeaaaaasseeeee

This sort of system usually results in me saying "lmao ok bud good luck with that one"

I would honestly have spent more on micro transactions if the first level for them wasn't $20 of RandoCorp.cn scrip or whatever

I guess I'm also not the target audience for this either though so

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Gift cards have a major "not opened / redeemed" factor that I think they are just plainly exposing now. It's much better for them if people buy gift cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sniep posted:

Gift cards have a major "not opened / redeemed" factor that I think they are just plainly exposing now. It's much better for them if people buy gift cards.

thats 110% it. they know there's nothing anyone can do about it