Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

burning swine posted:

I bought a 2-stroke line trimmer (weedwacker) recently

kinda owns. Carb is a pile of junk, though, they ship these things without any adjustment screws these days, and the sea level tune is about 7000 ft too rich

egregious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

just glue one of those Microsoft surface knobs on an iPad. done

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

a really nice knurled knob….

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

as someone who has had many hours of knob discussions, the real crux of knob design is the quality of the rpg. the knob itself is still important, material still important, knurling, finish, etc, but nothing can make up for a lovely, mushy, badly detented, flywheelless rpg

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Gnossiennes posted:

as someone who has had many hours of knob discussions, the real crux of knob design is the quality of the rpg. the knob itself is still important, material still important, knurling, finish, etc, but nothing can make up for a lovely, mushy, badly detented, flywheelless rpg

Unsure if rocket propelled grenade, or role playing game, or...

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Unsure if rocket propelled grenade, or role playing game, or...

rotary pulse generator / rotary encoder

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the best knobs are gonna have the encoder offboard on a belt drive or something so that the knobfeel can be fully defined by the flywheel/damper/detent mechanism you come up with

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

so i'm shopping for a carplay stereo and i noticed that all the steering wheel controls are supported by just a single wire on these, that hooks into a car-specific harness

i wonder if anybody's got the protocol sorted out (assuming it's some sort of TTL serial) so we can repurpose some of those ole griffin powermate knobs

Sagebrush posted:

the best knobs are gonna have the encoder offboard on a belt drive or something so that the knobfeel can be fully defined by the flywheel/damper/detent mechanism you come up with

eh, my kilobuck ham rigs all have adjustable drag and some have switchable detents, all on-shaft. it's totally doable

Some guys cast lead weights to insert into the voids in the knob for extra inertia

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
make your car tweet every time you fiddle with its knob

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have an old 7" lathe handwheel i found in the metal scrap bin that i keep meaning to mount on bearings and an encoder as a usb peripheral. it wouldn't be a hard project but i can't really figure out what i'd do with it.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

turn on your monitor

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush posted:

i have an old 7" lathe handwheel i found in the metal scrap bin that i keep meaning to mount on bearings and an encoder as a usb peripheral. it wouldn't be a hard project but i can't really figure out what i'd do with it.

get two and make an extremely precise sniper mode?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
set certain positions to sa macros - 3 o’clock posts “turn on your monitor,” 6:30 is “chome” etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gnossiennes posted:

turn on your monitor

lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
will lead to unparalleled posting speed + lols. your welcome

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Spin once clockwise for :fap:
Twice for :jerkbag:
Continuously for :circlefap:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

scrollwheel

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

https://hackaday.com/2022/03/13/haptic-smart-knob-does-several-jobs/

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i wonder if anybody's got the protocol sorted out (assuming it's some sort of TTL serial) so we can repurpose some of those ole griffin powermate knobs
It's pretty much just a pile of resistors and switches like a DAC. Should be easy as long as those knobs speak something reasonable.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

eh, my kilobuck ham rigs all have adjustable drag and some have switchable detents, all on-shaft. it's totally doable

Some guys cast lead weights to insert into the voids in the knob for extra inertia

tired: knobfeel

wired: hamfeel

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hogfeel

burning swine
May 26, 2004

go ham wild

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
personally, going knob wild

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
eyefinity

sli and crossfire

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m pretty sure the 30xx higher end cards (maybe 3070ti and higher) had SLI yet.

does the 4090?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nah 4x's do not

my 3070 came with sli ribbons iirc

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

WiFi standing for Wireless Fidelity

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wild EEPROM posted:

eyefinity

sli and crossfire

eyefinity was good. remember when cards only had the ability to drive two monitors at a time? lmao

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Raluek posted:

eyefinity was good. remember when cards only had the ability to drive two monitors at a time? lmao

matrox dualhead2go

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

TwinView

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

actual internal document

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

aaaaah the french

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

zimbra

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

squirrelmail

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
postfix + squirrelmail

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
goatse.cx mailboxes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

m4

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

gently caress youuuuuu

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lol that takes me back. I completely forgot about squirrelmail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Carthag Tuek posted:

aaaaah the french