Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I distinctly recall in the early days of windows 10 they said it would be the last version of windows and they’d just keep updating it and deprecating older versions of it.

did I dream that?

no, and that is essentially what they did. windows as a service is real and it sucks hard

windows 11 kinda is a service pack. unless you explicitly opt out (and even then, it still does it anyway) most machines will just auto update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
the real problem with windows development is going from small, closed betas with testers that were qualified to bug report and opine on features to literally all beta tests all the time, rolled out publicly and without any process for getting feedback to someone that can actually act on it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, ultimately 11 is perfectly passable. i upgraded for wslg and don't hate it enough to downgrade when that got backported to 10. but with that backport reality is that just about every change is a wash or for the worse. and the worse is all the worse is all the worse for it being obvious that people have put in real effort making it worse.

worse.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

the real problem with windows development is going from small, closed betas with testers that were qualified to bug report and opine on features to literally all beta tests all the time, rolled out publicly and without any process for getting feedback to someone that can actually act on it

nah i think they get tons of valid feedback from users that is just totally ignored by dumbass product managers either because the product manager is an idiot (ui changes) or because they have a mandate from on high to gently caress things up (bing integration)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shaggar posted:

the big problem w/ windows 11 is UI regressions like loving up the context menu for no reason or loving up the start menu with icon grid.

them rewriting backend stuff to improve performance (i.e. direct storage) is good and fine.

yeah i have no problem with the performance updates when they work and there is a clear reason for switching, but most of them have been not that

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

vista was fine

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shaggar posted:

nah i think they get tons of valid feedback from users that is just totally ignored by dumbass product managers either because the product manager is an idiot (ui changes) or because they have a mandate from on high to gently caress things up (bing integration)

i mean, i'm sure they did at some point but making everything a beta test probably made the SNR completely useless to act on

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows telemetry is probably massively useful, but whether they decide to actually pay attention to it is a totally different question.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shaggar posted:

windows telemetry is probably massively useful, but whether they decide to actually pay attention to it is a totally different question.

if the result is windows 11 i think it's safe to say they are completely ignoring it. i haven't run into anyone that actually likes it without a bunch of "tweaks" that could break at any moment should microsoft choose to actually remove the functionality

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the data they get from telemetry is only going to be data from people too dumb to disable telemetry

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I mainly have a poor opinion of 11 because ms keeps trying to trick me into installing it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I mainly have a poor opinion of 11 because ms keeps trying to trick me into installing it

this is it for me. if it's so good you wouldnt have to try to sneak "click this button for sunshine and rainbows" poo poo in on 9am on a saturday when i havent had my coffe

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines makes this point in the microsoft thread too, and is correct: way more than any particular functionality or choice microsoft is burning a ton of (otherwise mostly earned) goodwill basically asking a reasonable question and then ignoring the answer. and similar poo poo.

there aren't very obtrusive ads in 11, nor is it really spying on you, but it keeps showing the ad even when you already have the thing, and they do keep asking if they can spy on you.

much as i like edge it is genuinely the forefront of this. i can't recommend it to my mom, as there's no way it would not be full of bing garbage sooner or later, as it keeps asking until you give the answer it likes.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for baseline fairness i am also in year 10 of basically every visit to google or gmail having them intrusively asking if i shouldn't be on chrome, but that is a real sad level to be fair on.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
feels like a lot of change for changes sake too

like, gotta differentiate

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

echinopsis posted:

feels like a lot of change for changes sake too

like, gotta differentiate

This is my thought on it too, again, it should have just been a major update to 10 with a UI refresh. Functionally there isnt much difference between them in ways your average user cares about

Just give me "Windows" and I run whatever the latest version is. They really need to copy Mac OS on this one.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

both of them need to stop with the rapid development rolling update bullshit. macos is not immune to this either, it is noticeably worse than it was even 5 years ago

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Beeftweeter posted:

both of them need to stop with the rapid development rolling update bullshit. macos is not immune to this either, it is noticeably worse than it was even 5 years ago

:jazzhands: Agile! :jazzhands:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

there aren't very obtrusive ads in 11

I would like there to be no ads in my computer operating system

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
winders vister

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

njsykora posted:

I would like there to be no ads in my computer operating system

mostly fair, but with ubuntu and windows both being out (probably macos too tbqh, i have no idea of status, but bound to be nagging about apple tv or icloud poo poo somewhere) you just wind up a bit off the mainstream at this rate.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

mostly fair, but with ubuntu and windows both being out (probably macos too tbqh, i have no idea of status, but bound to be nagging about apple tv or icloud poo poo somewhere) you just wind up a bit off the mainstream at this rate.

i use a macbook and macos does not constantly shove ads in my face, though hearing that even linux distros are getting infested with ads now is quite funny

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

DELETE CASCADE posted:

winders vister

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

njsykora posted:

i use a macbook and macos does not constantly shove ads in my face, though hearing that even linux distros are getting infested with ads now is quite funny

may very well be. the only windows ads i've ever seen are two buttons in the settings for onedrive and o365, which i hate, because i already have them and it's real dumb they show them anyway. meanwhile ios has nagged me to hell about icloud, apple arcade, and apple tv, in various places, but macos being the more serious sibling i sure don't know that it does anything of the sort.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oh, and loving app store ads, a plague. of course microsoft will get them the moment there's apps worth advertising, but blessed freedom so far.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
the gnome software center doesn't have ads :smuggo:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

other people posted:

the gnome software center doesn't have ads :smuggo:

apt does though

e: for those not following along

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also windows 11's BS system requirements of at least a 9th gen CPU, when you can change a registry setting and it will install and run just fine on anything that Windows 10 would run on, minus 32-bit CPU's, but those are pretty rare these days

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

apt does though

maybe it does in ubuntu, but ubuntu sucks

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

apt does though

i dunno i haven't used a non-rpm distro in decades.

I mean, it's just ubuntu that does the stupid ads thing, right? Surely apt on other deb distros doesn't do that...

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
lol ubuntu pro. What a great name.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i mean, yeah: apt on debian does not advertise ubuntu pro

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oh, sorry, i confused matters, the distro *that people actually use* has ads in its package manager.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ios has nagged me to hell about icloud, apple arcade, and apple tv, in various places, but macos being the more serious sibling i sure don't know that it does anything of the sort.

oh yeah ios does that a fair bit, but none of that's come to macos yet, also every few weeks my pc bugs me to link my pc to my phone on startup and no absofuckinglutely not why would i do that

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Volmarias posted:

:jazzhands: Agile! :jazzhands:

the first time i learned about agile in college i thought each sprint was supposed to be followed by some sort of analogy to rest where you work on bugs or something, which would be great. instead development managers managed to come up with a concept where you just sprint forever with no rest in between.

basically what i'm saying is there needs to be a snow leopard-style release every couple years to keep on top of bugs.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

carry on then posted:

the first time i learned about agile in college i thought each sprint was supposed to be followed by some sort of analogy to rest where you work on bugs or something, which would be great. instead development managers managed to come up with a concept where you just sprint forever with no rest in between.

basically what i'm saying is there needs to be a snow leopard-style release every couple years to keep on top of bugs.

what we did on some of my previous teams is that we set aside like 20% of our points for each sprint for tech debt and bugfixin and so forth, but we could trade that away and do it next sprint and it often ended up as every fifth sprint was tech debt sprint and it was honestly real good

rotor fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 1, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also windows 11's BS system requirements of at least a 9th gen CPU, when you can change a registry setting and it will install and run just fine on anything that Windows 10 would run on, minus 32-bit CPU's, but those are pretty rare these days

Let these poor people have a reason to give out as to why they need to break backwards compatibility with the pentium 4.

carry on then posted:

You shouldn't be doing only feature work, bugs should be added as tasks to the backlog to be pulled in as well, and the team velocity should reflect that. You can have Tech Debt Sprints every so often too, to clean up the crap in a more organized fashion (e.g. we really need to refactor the old Foo pattern we use for the Butt handler because it's getting brittle, spend 2 weeks doing only that). All gas no brakes might sound nice for managers or whatever but you should absolutely be assuming bug fixing is there.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

njsykora posted:

all this is really telling me is that the most famous thing amstrad ever made was actually long after its time

:nws: :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TJKxOKS0GY

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i got a new RTX 3080 last week and was super psyched to install it in my PC however it turns out the loving thing is too tall and cant clear the tool-less bracket thingo in my case. it only needs like 7mm to clear it so i was half jokingly thinking of filing the corner of the PCB down and that reminded me of this funy computer classic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
video cards are all hueg like the Xbox now.