Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Kitfox88 posted:

I hope uli is doing ok these days

uli is doing better than many of the posters in this very forum :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I heard COVID springing up set them back a smidge but if they've bounced back from that I'm really glad for em :unsmith:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FidoNet

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Wonder if it's still around.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

apparently yes! there are still basically nostalgia BBSes out there and FidoNet is one of those things people use just because it's old, I guess

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i wish you could get a copper pair pots line anymore

its all just voip adapters stuck onto whatever their internet service is now i think

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fidonet's around and it's five old men that just write more rules and grumble about "netiquette"

there are some more chill ones but its still very greybeard

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sniep posted:

you still can in most places

it's ridiculously expensive for what it is after all of the taxes and fees (universal service fee, wireline maintenance fee, fee processing fee, etc...), and then you still get charged extra for "long distance" calls (based entirely on number structure and not location for the last 20 years), unless you pay the extra unlimited long distance fee

I think basic pots service here ends up being something like $70 a month now, and that's for the version where you still pay per-minute to call someone with a different area code even if they are standing right next to you. it's not even terribly reliable anymore, because the equipment is aging, and the handful of old people who still use it end up losing service every time some bees get into a box

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Sniep posted:

its all just voip adapters stuck onto whatever their internet service is now i think

it's copper wire in your house, if that makes you feel any better

plus you don't want a home phone, it just gets spam calls all day

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

The_Franz posted:

you still can in most places

it's ridiculously expensive for what it is after all of the taxes and fees (universal service fee, wireline maintenance fee, fee processing fee, etc...), and then you still get charged extra for "long distance" calls (based entirely on number structure and not location for the last 20 years), unless you pay the extra unlimited long distance fee

I think basic pots service here ends up being something like $70 a month now, and that's for the version where you still pay per-minute to call someone with a different area code even if they are standing right next to you. it's not even terribly reliable anymore, because the equipment is aging, and the handful of old people who still use it end up losing service every time some bees get into a box

confession time

ok, this is yospos we have people with a stack of microcomputers, no one will care

i have a copper POTS line just because I enjoy it. i like being able to hook my vintage rotary phone and fax machine to it. i like when I don't have to care if my phone is charged or in another room to make a call. i like testing it by looking for 48V with a multimeter. but yeah it's definitely more expensive than a VOIP plan or prepaid smartphone plan with data. the point about reliability is fair, there's definitely less upkeep of the copper plant, so I probably have to have someone out every couple years to troubleshoot the lines. the awesome thing is the POTS guys were like cool that I was into it and I had two of them give me their cell numbers and they just have me call them directly because they know the actual phone company is totally incompetent. One time they de-provisioned my line in the process of giving me a $5/mo discount, and insisted it was something a technician had to come fix. (Which I guess it kind of was since he was the only one competent enough to figre out they did that). It does have FREE LONG DISTANCE though.

obviously it's a nerd splurge and will be getting replaced with VOIP should I need to cut costs though.

also you're always looking over your shoulder because the phone company would love to get you off the service so they don't have to maintain it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
copper pots lines are terrible. They're massively overpriced and they use the same backhaul as everything else except worse because they'll never be as good as a modern voip to voip call with a modern codec

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

DELETE CASCADE posted:

it's copper wire in your house, if that makes you feel any better

plus you don't want a home phone, it just gets spam calls all day

its for faxing and modem use 100%, which actually do benefit from real copper vs. the voip 8khz band limited poo poo they give for voice in their fxo emulation

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can get a voip ATA and plug it into your copper at home and not have to upgrade anything else, not even your pulse dial rotary phone

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
we still have a copper pots line in this house because that's what my wife's 84yo mother is used to, plus she has some medical alert system that is tied into it. her late husband worked for the telco climbing poles, so naturally we have some weird rear end wiring going on

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

memory unlocked

in 2005 or so i had a powermac 6300 running asterisk, with a digium card providing dialtone to my apartment. my internet connection was dry dsl to speakeasy, and I connected asterisk to the pstn via some shady voip provider that let me set my outbound caller id to whatever

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

cheque_some posted:

i have a copper POTS line just because I enjoy it. i like being able to hook my vintage rotary phone and fax machine to it.

mmmmm fax machine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
fax machines are garbage and should all be shot into the sun

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shaggar posted:

Finally, a good shaggar opinion

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fax machines are the proletariat of communication

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

fax machines are great because you can make a crudely drawn picture of a dong materialize at your friends house

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
thats fine, the problem is people use fax machines for other stuff that they really shouldnt like sending medical information

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

thats fine, the problem is people use fax machines for other stuff that they really shouldnt like sending medical information

i see

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

rotor posted:

fax machines are great because you can make a crudely drawn picture of a dong materialize at your friends house

the old style fax machines were great because you could run a loop of black paper through them and completely waste someone's paper and toner

fax spam was also a very real thing. restaurants in particular would war dial business numbers looking for fax machines to spam menus to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUEmGoBEfr4

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shaggar posted:

grandfather clauses should always have an expiration date.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

just don’t sent it to the wrong place problem solved

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The_Franz posted:

the old style fax machines were great because you could run a loop of black paper through them and completely waste someone's paper and toner

fax spam was also a very real thing. restaurants in particular would war dial business numbers looking for fax machines to spam menus to

lol check out this guy trying to give me a history lesson

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
fax is better than any modern messenger because it's still a pretty open standard and anyone could make something that was guaranteed to work with every other one. doesn’t matter if you had a panasonic fax machine and sent a fax to someone with a brother, it would work just fine

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

rotor posted:

lol check out this guy trying to give me a history lesson

haha yeah rotor is old we get it :rolleyes:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:hmmno: fax machine

:hmmyes: telecopier

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

:hmmno: fax machine

:hmmyes: telecopier
:toot: telex

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have to send a signed copy of the packing slip for controlled drugs and I used to fax it away and it was dead easy but now I have to scan it and email it and that’s some extra fuckkn bullshit imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

telex was a different but also great thing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

telex was a different but also great thing
luv 2 see an old business card or listing with a telex number on it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

luv 2 see an old business card or listing with a telex number on it

same.

i always think maybe one day when I'm retired I'll rig up some telex style thing that just types up my email as it comes in

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

realistically probably wont tho but its fun to think about

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I have to send a signed copy of the packing slip for controlled drugs and I used to fax it away and it was dead easy but now I have to scan it and email it and that’s some extra fuckkn bullshit imo

just set up a fax to email gateway somehow, idiot

that will be $70,000 + costs, no i won’t answer your calls, i’m with another client

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m being facetious but it’s easy for me coz i understand email but for some it’s a real head scratcher lol

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
when i was still doing IT someone came in complaining that a 3rd party fax to email service they were using on site wasn't working for large docs (voip can gently caress fax up and it's a pain in the rear end to get right)
they'd printed out a document and they were faxing it to the f2e address

i asked them why they didn't email the document directly instead and they left without saying anything else

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The_Franz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUEmGoBEfr4

I'm the Restauranger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm the pitched up voices to avoid a copyright strike